The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: What do YOU want next on the big screen for Superman?
Superman: Man Of Steel (i.e the sequel to SR) 66 32.35%
A Justice League Movie with Superman in it 6 2.94%
A Superman re-boot/re-start with new cast/crew, etc. 64 31.37%
Both MOS AND a JL movie. 24 11.76%
Both a re-boot/re-start and a JL movie. 34 16.67%
Non of the above. Something else. 10 4.90%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #101
TripXyDE
Third-World Villain

Default Re: How To Fix Superman

SUPERMAN RETURNS was the one opportunity to tweak the Superman continuity to make it fit the current standards.....

like:

- Have Lex build a corporate semi-empire while Supes was away
- Have Lex dabbled into experiments that might lead to Parasite or Metallo
- Have characters like General Hardcastle, General Isling (Eiling?), and Amanda Waller be introduced so that when Supes Returns, at least some other people wouldnt like it
- Have Supes introduced to Dr. Emil Hamilton
- & eventually, tweak the Superman Mythos tweaked for the current standards...and not just people acting like stupid whenever Superman is around (Surely, SOME People hate him--or dont trust his intentions)

INSTEAD....Singer & team made things WORSE for Superman

- Lex is back as a lowlife thug who hatches a plan that is lame---AND u wud think, A GREATEST CRIMINAL MASTERMIND CAN ONLY THINK OF THAT DUMB of AN IDEA!
- The KID
- The Love Triangle with Cyclops..hehehe
- & EVERYBODY still acts STUPID whenever Superman is around, they all cheer him without hesitation (Superman lost consciousness...& u are bringing him to a HOSPITAL? If everybody in the entire friggin metropolis knows he cant be penetrated by bullets, what good is that syringe of yours?)

The SUPERMAN Franchise as we know it is BEYOND HELP not unless either A.Restart it or B. Ignore the existence of the child or the previous events or C. Make up a REALLY GOOD Storyline that will FIX the loopholes of SR

What, u might think, should be in that Storyline? I dunno...maybe kill the Kid, make Superman go crazy over it. That's one suggestion i read somewhere in this board. That Richard could hate Superman for it, blah blah... or have the KID transformed into Bizarro...Those ideas are pretty dark... but how else could u tweak a really twisted abomination of Superman as rendered by Singer & team with SR..?

I used to watch Angel & i was thinking of one of its storylines that could be applied to the Superman Case. Have the KID be kidnapped by one of Superman's Enemies (maybe Brainiac or Darkseid) ...transported into another dimension/or planet...i dunnoo...maybe Apokolips... (which does not conform with the time continuum of our world) & he comes back as already an adult & he comes back hating Superman. I know many of u hate ANGEL...but, it's just an idea that crossed my mind

TripXyDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:41 PM   #102
explode7
Banned User

An everytime the kid was around ANGEL he wanted to beat him since he was grown up by a vampire hunter. That stroyline will work nicely for SR2 however singer and his little friends would prob screw supes to a point where it is unfixable.

explode7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #103
Thot
Side-Kick

All of the above advice contained in the article is absolutely spot-on. Add to that a revamp of the lame Singerman suit and it's golden!

Thot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:46 AM   #104
Cosmic
Theosophist

Maybe Superman Returns was all just a strange dream. He wakes up, and you start from scratch, with a new creative team.

Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:00 AM   #105
Jasomius
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripXyDE
SUPERMAN RETURNS was the one opportunity to tweak the Superman continuity to make it fit the current standards.....

like:

- Have Lex build a corporate semi-empire while Supes was away
- Have Lex dabbled into experiments that might lead to Parasite or Metallo
- Have characters like General Hardcastle, General Isling (Eiling?), and Amanda Waller be introduced so that when Supes Returns, at least some other people wouldnt like it
- Have Supes introduced to Dr. Emil Hamilton
- & eventually, tweak the Superman Mythos tweaked for the current standards...and not just people acting like stupid whenever Superman is around (Surely, SOME People hate him--or dont trust his intentions)

INSTEAD....Singer & team made things WORSE for Superman

- Lex is back as a lowlife thug who hatches a plan that is lame---AND u wud think, A GREATEST CRIMINAL MASTERMIND CAN ONLY THINK OF THAT DUMB of AN IDEA!
- The KID
- The Love Triangle with Cyclops..hehehe
- & EVERYBODY still acts STUPID whenever Superman is around, they all cheer him without hesitation (Superman lost consciousness...& u are bringing him to a HOSPITAL? If everybody in the entire friggin metropolis knows he cant be penetrated by bullets, what good is that syringe of yours?)

The SUPERMAN Franchise as we know it is BEYOND HELP not unless either A.Restart it or B. Ignore the existence of the child or the previous events or C. Make up a REALLY GOOD Storyline that will FIX the loopholes of SR

What, u might think, should be in that Storyline? I dunno...maybe kill the Kid, make Superman go crazy over it. That's one suggestion i read somewhere in this board. That Richard could hate Superman for it, blah blah... or have the KID transformed into Bizarro...Those ideas are pretty dark... but how else could u tweak a really twisted abomination of Superman as rendered by Singer & team with SR..?
Sounds like you're a post-crisis fan threatened by change. Aww, so SR isn't post-crisis Superman? Stop whining. Singer had as much right to use pre-crisis Supes as much as he did Post-Crisis. You can't say Singer is wrong for doing so.

And I don't really see what is wrong with the kid, other than he isn't in the comics, which is a crappy reason. I doubt you can give another reason, though.

Jasomius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #106
dar-El
Side-Kick

Singer ignored the past 20 years of history and made a film for himself which he had no right to do! We fans are the keepers of the myth. We buy the products and dont go see movies that are not true to the character. something film makers have forgotten. If singer continues to mess with what is so beloved it might just end his career as well as kill superman.

dar-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #107
Jasomius
Banned User

-edit-

Old 11-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #108
Jasomius
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar-El
Singer ignored the past 20 years of history and made a film for himself which he had no right to do! We fans are the keepers of the myth. We buy the products and dont go see movies that are not true to the character. something film makers have forgotten. If singer continues to mess with what is so beloved it might just end his career as well as kill superman.
OMG YOU'RE RIGHT! WE MUST ACT IMMEDIATELY!

SINGER MUST BE STOPPED PEOPLE!

Old 11-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #109
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

pretty much agree.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #110
Freddy_Krueger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar-El
Singer ignored the past 20 years of history and made a film for himself which he had no right to do! We fans are the keepers of the myth.
No, he incorporated the Superman mythos that inspired him personally--the original film and the George Reeves TV show. And the artist always has a right to make a film for himself. That's the whole point of filmmaking: making a film that satisfies the director. Sure, he might like it to make a lot of money and to be well liked by the fan base...but that's not his aim.

And keepers of the myth? Give me a break. I'm a big comic book fan myself, but I don't keep a myth. I keep a comic book. And it's not like fans universally agree with who Superman is anyway. Look at what's going on with fan reactions to the Action Comics run with Donner. You have half the fan base saying that what Superman does in that comic is in character and another half saying its out of character. Everyone has their own idea as to who Superman is--whether it be comic book fans, comic book writers, Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, Tim Burton, Christopher Reeve, Richard Donner, and yes...Bryan Singer.

He's not raping Superman. He brought his interpretation of who he thinks Superman is to the screen. You don't have to like it, but he sure as hell has every right to film his interpretation and not your own personal interpretation.

If you can't attack SR without attacking Bryan Singer's sexuality, then just keep your thoughts to yourself.

Last edited by Freddy_Krueger; 11-04-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Freddy_Krueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #111
Jasomius
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Krueger

He's not raping Superman. He brought his interpretation of who he thinks Superman is to the screen. You don't have to like it, but he sure as hell has every right to film his interpretation and not your own personal interpretation.
I'd like to see one of thse fans make their own movie and read the reactions he gets. Chances are his version of Superman would be considered 'wrong'.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #112
dar-El
Side-Kick

Hey im already working on the story and if i manage to get it done ill post it.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #113
dar-El
Side-Kick

By the way singers aim was to make money for the studio and he didnt do a good job of it. Superman can make far more than $390 mil if handled right.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #114
matthooper
Side-Kick

Even the people who liked the film have to agree on most of these points. This guy is spot on right.

Some of these changes will be made. More action, more creative story, but unfortunately, you can't make chemistry. Bosworth and Routh had none at all. Maybe just the fact that we will know them as Superman and Lois will be enough chemistry for the sequel.

matthooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #115
WhatsHisFace
Banned User

Just get Luthor away from idiots. No friggen camp. No Parker Posey.

WhatsHisFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #116
Jasomius
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsHisFace
There was no camp to Luthor in SR.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #117
matthooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsHisFace
How about no Luthor at all.

Singer can't go back and fix him, he's already been established as the "character" he is, by Singer and Spacey. You can't un-ring a bell. But you can toss it away.

No Luthor.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #118
matthooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasomius
There was no camp to Luthor in SR.
True, because there was nothing at all.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #119
Jasomius
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthooper
How about no Luthor at all.

Singer can't go back and fix him, he's already been established as the "character" he is, by Singer and Spacey. You can't un-ring a bell. But you can toss it away.

No Luthor.
Luthor is a staple of Superman, he needs to be there.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #120
matthooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
If he is a secondary villian, like in Superman 2, it might work. But why does he have to be in every movie? There are plenty of Superman villians that can work without Luthor.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #121
Jasomius
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthooper
If he is a secondary villian, like in Superman 2, it might work. But why does he have to be in every movie? There are plenty of Superman villians that can work without Luthor.
Luthor is more than a villain-of-the-week, he doesn't necessarily have to team up with them all.

I can see him going against Braniac.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #122
matthooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Luthor is more than a villain-of-the-week, he doesn't necessarily have to team up with them all.

I can see him going against Braniac.

The fact is, I'm willing to give Singer another shot at this thing. Sure I was massively dissapointed, but there are things to build on. Routh was good and it's pretty apparent that we will see a super-villian.

I don't know what we'll get, but I don't think that Luthor is necessity.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #123
storyteller
Side-Kick

BRING BACK CLARK.
The best thing about superman in recent comics is the line between clark and superman. I like the clark is the real man and superman is what he can do. Gives him true humanity.

Fix the costume. I dont just mean colorwise or collarwise, i mean how its filmed. What i like about the spiderman costume is that its used. Singer could have just had half the suit made the way he filmed routh in the costume. Dont be afriad to flaunt it around.

Get of the donner trip. My problem with everyone thinking donner is god when it comes to superman is that donner got the shaft making his flippen movie. I liked the first movie but it had little foundation that probably would have found a temples worth had donner not been working with pricks of producers.
Times have changed. Theres a reason why cartoons are made the way they are.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #124
skruloos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller
BRING BACK CLARK.
The best thing about superman in recent comics is the line between clark and superman. I like the clark is the real man and superman is what he can do. Gives him true humanity.
That's funny that you say that. Seems to me that the comics actually blur the line between Clark and Superman. They basically make Clark act much like Superman does except that he has glasses.

Also, it seemed to me that Singer brought much of this to SR. Clark on the farm is very human. Even when he is with Jimmy he acts depressed and out of it. He isn't just a caricature. He just happens to emphasize his awkwardness in Metropolis.

Last edited by skruloos; 11-04-2006 at 07:09 PM.
skruloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:56 AM   #125
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Comic book Luthor, yes. Animated Luthor, yes. But Movie Lex has not established himself as a worthy villain, his poorly thought out and illogical evil schemes make him liability more then anything else. Seriously considering he has no resources, no allies and be wanted by the police after Superman reveals the backstory behind that NK thing, how is Lex supposed to pose a threat now or be a position to create some of the thug villains like Parasite, Bizzaro or Metallo. Movie Lex will need a major revamp before he can be seen as villain who can pose a contiuious threat.

Last edited by The Overlord; 11-05-2006 at 10:03 AM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote