The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 11-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #26
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Default Re: The Music of "Wolverine"

for those who give a...

...Harry Gregson Williams did the main theme for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare coming out tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #27
Seen
It's Been Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
It's a shame that they kept switching composers for the x-men movies. We never really got a classic X-men movie theme (like the Batman, Superman and Spider-Man movies have) because of that.

First Michael Kamen RIP, then John Ottman, then John Powell and now Harry Gregson-Williams. And if the Magneto gets off the ground David Goyer he will probably hire a new person for that movie as well.
Since this is a spin-off of the X-MEN movies, I think Gregson-Williams will probably go for a different musical approach for this one...hopefully rougher, grittier and less "epic" than the musical tonality of the previous three X-MEN installments.

If FOX does a WOLVERINE trilogy, hopefully Gregson-Williams stays onboard to compose all three, but since this is a new series, it (should) require a new sound.

However, FWIW, it is tragic that the X-MEN series had different composers for all three movies. Even with that taken into account, though, you have to admit that all three scores are quite good, work in their own way, despite being still slightly different. I kind of like that though. They lend themselves a unique musical sensibility to the franchise, while each one respecting the tonality of the last, but building on it, and making the musical landscape more pronounced. If you look at Kamen's music, to Ottman's, and then Powell's, you'll notice, very much mimicking the films themselves, an evolved sense of epic-ness that began with the first film, as if the series gets progressively more epic as it goes along.

Seen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:56 AM   #28
Retroman
Side-Kick

^^^Good points. If he does a good job and if they decide to make a sequel(s) let's hope he stays.

Paul Hepker and Mark Kilian who both worked on scores for Tsotsi and Rendition talk a little bit about Wolverine in this interview.

Quote:
Do you have any planned future collaborations, either together as composers, or together working with Gavin in the future?

Paul : In looks like we may be skipping out on the next one... Gavin's working on Wolverine for Fox, and it looks like they may have a composer already attached to that one. But Mark and I are up for a couple of other projects together, and obviously individually we are pursuing them. (But nothing is really) solid at the moment, (we have) a few things that might pan out, and that'd be great.

What have been your favorite projects to work on?

Mark : I think Rendition and Tsotsi, and to work with Gavin have been the highlights of my career for sure. There are many others, but it would be hard... I like many things for many different reasons. I like working on TV, but that's a completely different hat to wear. I'm doing my solo record at the moment, which I'm enjoying for different reasons as well. So, it'd be hard to say, but as films go, Rendition and Tsotsi are the highlights.

Paul : Yeah, I'd agree... for Rendition, which was our first Hollywood foray. It was really smooth and creative, (and) it was amazing team. New Line was a pleasure to work with, an executive, a lady called Erin Scully, and she was fantastic. Really it could have been a lousy experience; we could have got burned when you step up to this kind of level. Who knows what's going to happen, but Rendition was really fantastic.

Mark : It was really amazing to have a big machine like that, hire someone, and then trusts them to do their job, and leaves them to do it with that kind of trusted input. What a difference it makes, I think, to the entire process.

What would be your dream assignment or project?

Paul : I'm a big Batman fan, I think sometime before I shuffle off this mortal coil, I'd love to do a decent Batman movie. Just because he's been my kind of childhood hero when I was a kid and stuff. I think the direction of the new Batman movies have gone have been really cool. I like that dark neo-classic (look and feel), I like the darker material really. I find that that inspires me.

Mark : As I said, I'm finishing up an album, which has been a very interesting experience, because everything I've done in the last thirteen years has been to picture or to something that basically has a template for you to write to. This is making you feel rather naked. (laughs) I think it's a very interesting and cathartic experience in a way.

It's been a pleasure to talk with you. Thank you for your time, and good luck.
http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=245

Wonder why Hood didn't get them to do Wolverine? Is it a studio (or possibly producer) influenced decision.? It's the same situation on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (Zimmer and Newton-Howard). David Julyan has done the scores for all of Chris Nolan's other films (even The Prestige) except those.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #29
MattC
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I heard it was a studio decision Retro, not one that Gavin made himself.

MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #30
narrows101
Side-Kick

This is a bit old but interesting info (especially the last line LOL) - there's also a video interview with him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/ukmovies/...williams.shtml

Quote:
LA STORY...
Composer Harry Gregson-Williams was tutored for a career in music from a very early age. After attending a "Dickensian" music school in England from the age of six and spending several years in Egypt and Kenya teaching music and sports, he made his movie debut in 1993 with the score for serial killer Brit pic White Angel.

He broke into Hollywood by writing additional music for action pics Broken Arrow and The Rock, and composed the score for Smilla's Sense Of Snow (1997). Subsequent high profile scores include (big breath) Antz, Enemy Of The State, Chicken Run, Spy Kids, Spy Game, Shreks 1 and 2, Veronica Guerin, Man On Fire, Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason, Team America: World Police, and Miss Congeniality 2: Armed And Fabulous, and Kingdom Of Heaven. And if he's not written a recent Hollywood score, there's always a chance it was composed by his brother Rupert (who provided the music for Hotel Rwanda).

Upcoming Harry Gregson-Williams scores include Ridley Scott's Domino and The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe. One person he won't be working with again is Armageddon helmer Michael Bay, whom he calls "the most odious director alive".

narrows101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:12 PM   #31
悪魔天
Side-Kick

Theme song when he is killing people should be Mack The Knife sung by Bobby Darin

悪魔天 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #32
the a1ant
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman View Post

Wonder why Hood didn't get them to do Wolverine? Is it a studio (or possibly producer) influenced decision.? It's the same situation on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (Zimmer and Newton-Howard). David Julyan has done the scores for all of Chris Nolan's other films (even The Prestige) except those.
I was rooting for them to score the film. I know Paul was interested in doing it. The studio does have big influence over that whole thing - I recall him mentioning that. From what I had heard, Gavin Hood wanted them, but I guess the studio has the upper-hand in that situation.

Still...Harry Gregson-Williams is also good choice, and it'll be interesting to see what he brings to the film.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 PM   #33
Seen
It's Been Seen

I'm surprised the studio upped Hood in that regard -- usually it falls into the director's lap to choose the composer, but since this is a studio project (where films are usually made by committee) and this is Fox, I guess that was one of probably many decisions that was out of Hood's reach. That or Gregson-Williams was a compromise on Hood and Fox's part.

With Nolan and BATMAN, I think he wanted both Zimmer and Newton-Howard, and just opted not to work with Julyan (who he has worked with again on THE PRESTIGE). It's possible Nolan wanted a more dramatic soundscape for a movie like BATMAN, and thought those composers could do the job better...who knows. Perhaps the same mentality for choosing Gregson-Williams with WOLVERINE.

Seen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 PM   #34
Gamma Warrior
Ghetto Fabulous

The soundtrack they used for X2: Wolverine's Revenge would be cool to use for this movie.

Gamma Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #35
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
I heard it was a studio decision Retro, not one that Gavin made himself.
That's a shame. Not that i'm complaining about Gregson-Williams but it's important for directors to work with people they're familar with.

Maybe Hood isn't a big enough name to have control over decisions like that. Even with an Oscar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the a1ant View Post
I was rooting for them to score the film. I know Paul was interested in doing it. The studio does have big influence over that whole thing - I recall him mentioning that. From what I had heard, Gavin Hood wanted them, but I guess the studio has the upper-hand in that situation.

Still...Harry Gregson-Williams is also good choice, and it'll be interesting to see what he brings to the film.
Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seen View Post
I'm surprised the studio upped Hood in that regard -- usually it falls into the director's lap to choose the composer, but since this is a studio project (where films are usually made by committee) and this is Fox, I guess that was one of probably many decisions that was out of Hood's reach. That or Gregson-Williams was a compromise on Hood and Fox's part.
Fox also seem to have the upper hand where the choice of editor is concerned.
http://www.thexverse.com/news/0496.shtml
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seen View Post
With Nolan and BATMAN, I think he wanted both Zimmer and Newton-Howard, and just opted not to work with Julyan (who he has worked with again on THE PRESTIGE). It's possible Nolan wanted a more dramatic soundscape for a movie like BATMAN, and thought those composers could do the job better...who knows. Perhaps the same mentality for choosing Gregson-Williams with WOLVERINE.
Julyan not getting Batman seemed more like a studio influenced decision. Not that many people would complain with getting the likes of Newton-Howard and Zimmer.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31031

Old 09-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #36
Retroman
Side-Kick

Williams talks a little about Wolverine in an interview on Prince Caspian.

Quote:
CC: So you are working on Tony Scott's next film now, THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123, but you've got some other big projects on the horizon as well: WOLVERINE and G-FORCE.

HARRY GREGSON-WILLIAMS: Yes. WOLVERINE with Gavin Hood, which I'm really looking forward to. What really attracted me to the project was Gavin. I happened to meet him at the Golden Globes dinner about three years ago. That night we were both nominees, but both losers. He had been nominated for TSOTSI and during the dinner I had spoken to him and he seemed like a really smart and creative guy...and into music. So I was really delighted when I got a call to meet him and discuss the possibilities for WOLVERINE.

CC: And you have G-Force which will be early next year. Are there any other projects in-between?

HARRY GREGSON-WILLIAMS: (laughs) Probably, but I'm focused on what's happening now.

CC: Thank you so much for taking the time today.

HARRY GREGSON-WILLIAMS: Thank you very much, Chris.
Source:
http://www.tracksounds.com/specialfe...2008_page2.htm

Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 AM   #37
Retroman
Side-Kick

Some news on the soundtrack...

From Hybrid and Varese Sarabande:

Quote:
Music For X-Men Origins : Wolverine
Hybrid have been in the studio working with Harry Gregson Williams on the score for the forthcoming X-Men film Wolverine starring Hugh Jackman and Liev Schreiber. The duo have been working between LA and the UK and are currently holed up in their Derbyshire studio writing and sound designing for the score. Mike Truman had this to say on the project :

"It's great to be working on such an exciting film for Harry, Chris and I are both fans of the X-Men trilogy and all I can say is that this is going to be a monster of a film. It's been really challenging and inspiring and we're really looking forward to seeing the completed film when it gets released on May the 1st."

The film follows the gruff, steel clawed Marvel superhero Wolverine as he strikes out on his own in this X-Men spin off series. The film is set up as an origin tale for the character and will find him sharing the screen with X-Men characters Deadpool, Gambit, John Wraith, Victor Creed/Sabretooth and Col. William Stryker. Academy Award winning director Gavin Hood (Tsotsi) films a screenplay penned by Troy scribe David Benioff (Troy). Daniel Henney and Lost's Dominic Monaghan round out the supporting cast.
Quote:
X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Harry Gregson-Williams

X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, the first chapter in the X-MEN saga, unites Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) with several other legends of the X-MEN universe, in an epic revolution that pits the mutants against powerful forces determined to eliminate them.

The X-MEN series has already generated more than $600 million at the U.S. box office — and each film has been more successful than the last. X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE is destined to be one of the big blockbusters of the summer movie season.

The X-MEN ORIGINS saga kicks off with an epic symphonic score by Harry Gregson-Williams (The Chronicles Of Narnia, Kingdom Of Heaven, Man On Fire).

20th Century Fox opens X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE nationwide on May 1.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 967 2
Release Date: 04/28/09
Source:http://www.hybridsoundsystem.com/index.php
http://www.varesesarabande.com/upcoming.asp

Old 03-27-2009, 04:23 AM   #38
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

I'm loving the music in the new "Wars" TV Spot. Proper epic.

And in the "Legends" Tv Spot when it kicks in after Wade's "Manicure" quip. The way it is edited goes perfect with the score.

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #39
Silverglade
Side-Kick

I love all the music from the trailers thus far - and the official site features the same music. I think it really fits well. I would be satisfied if that ends up being the true music of the film. It is grandiose and has an opera feel.

Silverglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #40
sniktsnakt
SNIKT

This is a great news thread. I hope the music rocks!

sniktsnakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #41
Retroman
Side-Kick

The orchestrator Geoff Stradling talks a little about the score.

Quote:
We're hard at work on Wolverine. Harry is at it again with brilliant and emotional music.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #42
Superhero 101
DESI

I really hope the music is good!!

Old 04-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #43
Cyma
Side-Kick

Isn’t there a sample of the tracks from the movie? X3’s came out a month or two before.

Cyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #44
TNC9852002
Banned User

I almost forgot that HGW was doing the score here.

I'm really pumped for this.

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #45
Catman
Banned User

Indeed. I can't wait to hear the score!

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #46
Peter McCabe
Banned User

Here's the cover of the X-Men Origins: Wolverine score CD...

*Not a fan of the blue background, but its Gregson's music I'm looking forward to

Peter McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #47
Peter McCabe
Banned User

Here is the track listing for Gregson's Wolverine score, SPOILERS...

1. Logan Through Time (4:19)

2. Special Privileges (1:57)

3. Lagos, Nigeria (5:10)

4. Wade Goes To Work (1:28)

5. Kayla (2:53)

6. Victor Visits (2:06)

7. Adamantium (4:16)

8. Agent Zero Comes For Logan (3:08)

9. Logan Meets Gambit (4:34)

10. To The Island (3:46)

11. Deadpool (4:10)

12. The Towers Collapse (3:22)

13. Memories Lost (3:01)

14. …I'll Find My Own Way (1:24)

The Soundtrack runs 45 1/2 minutes.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #48
Electrix
Side-Kick

Nice

Now I want to listen to it!

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #49
Spidey 2007
Side-Kick

wow thats...really...really short..

X3's soundtrack, had about 27 tracks and if i remember correctly ran about 60-70 some minutes! sheesh....

Old 04-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #50
Peter McCabe
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey 2007 View Post
wow thats...really...really short..

X3's soundtrack, had about 27 tracks and if i remember correctly ran about 60-70 some minutes! sheesh....
X3 was a much longer movie - that was reduced to have more screenings per day.

The X3 soundtrack actually has tracks of music that belong to scenes that never made it to the big screen. The isolated fight between Wolverine and Juggernaut has an entire track of its own (#12).