Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #326
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: less serious, more fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatefan
What are you talking about? there were a bunch of light moments, Clark has a lot of them, Clark with Jimmy, Clark with Lois and Richard, the moment when Superman rescues the plane and the crowd cheers is clearly upbeat. The ending is a bit bittersweet but optimistic too.
But even when he rescues the plane, it is overshadowed by Lois' angsty response. As for Clark, him being a doofus isn't light, it is campy. Besides, a few moments doesn't change the fact that the overall tone of the movie was downbeat.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:16 AM   #327
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
But even when he rescues the plane, it is overshadowed by Lois' angsty response. As for Clark, him being a doofus isn't light, it is campy. Besides, a few moments doesn't change the fact that the overall tone of the movie was downbeat.
It was far less campy than Clark in the first movie that everybody loves, even if it is campy, itīs meant to be humorous, therefore light. Itīs a lot of moments, not a few, plenty of them. Lois angsty response comes after the fact, the moment itself is lighthearted. I didnīt feel downbeat after the movie, so I donīt see that.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #328
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

it had light jokes sure...but the overall tone was far too................depressing..................... .....to fit into a supey movie.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 12-19-2006, 08:04 PM   #329
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

p.s.

a michael bay/jerry bruckhiemer supes would own with a good script.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 12-19-2006, 08:09 PM   #330
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

i think it's pretty ironic that i think a J.J. Abrams directed Superman would kick @$$...

...as long as he doesn't write it, hehe

Old 12-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #331
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

mi3 owned....as did the action/characterizations of everyone cept forl uthor in his script for supes.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 12-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #332
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

I don't get the depressed tone thing. It wasn't that way for me at all. The first time I saw it, I actually left the theater with a smile on my face. Perceptions huh? there wasn't anything too serious, or sad, maybe the Superman hospital moments, but that's about it for me.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:06 PM   #333
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

i didn't think Superman Returns was a depressing movie...but i DO think it was, all around, a darker movie. a lot of the movie takes place in dark places, at night, or at a gloomy time. the brownish red on Supes didn't help matters.

i left the movie with a smile too because the scene with his son really struck a cord with me, but the next movie has to have more scenes of Supes flying during bright shiny days.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #334
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel
mi3 owned....as did the action/characterizations of everyone cept forl uthor in his script for supes.
MI3 had some good action but poor character development and dialogue in my opinion, but I only watch it for the action.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:29 AM   #335
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029
MI3 had some good action but poor character development and dialogue in my opinion, but I only watch it for the action.
MI3 was a big disappointment for me. I expected Abrams to inject new life into the series but was surprised by how formulaic and by-the-numbers the movie was.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Old 12-20-2006, 01:25 AM   #336
Pickle-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh
i didn't think Superman Returns was a depressing movie...but i DO think it was, all around, a darker movie. a lot of the movie takes place in dark places, at night, or at a gloomy time. the brownish red on Supes didn't help matters.

i left the movie with a smile too because the scene with his son really struck a cord with me, but the next movie has to have more scenes of Supes flying during bright shiny days.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:51 AM   #337
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse
MI3 was a big disappointment for me. I expected Abrams to inject new life into the series but was surprised by how formulaic and by-the-numbers the movie was.
tom cruise. abrahams had no chance.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:08 AM   #338
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I haven't read a single post, but I tried...sincerely tried to watch SR again. I just can't do it.

LOL...let me tell you...I have this great surround system and this great plasma television and that couldn't even inspire me.

That movie is dull, boring, and way too jesus-y for me. I can't deal with it, and the only scene I like is the one where Supes and Lois almost kiss. I only like that scene because I am an incurable romantic.

So...I TRULY hope the next movie is a bit more light hearted than this one.

It's so funny because SR would have been a great Wolverine story, or someone else's story...but this just didn't work for Superman.

If the next movie is dull, boring and angsty like SR was...I think the vocal criticism of Singer will be louder, stronger and much more prevalent in the general public.

I tend to think most critics, and everyone, else let the dismal qualities in SR slide because of the nostalgia effect. Yet, if the next movie is whack like SR....Singer is going to be hung from a strong limb at the next SDCC convention.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 12-21-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:44 AM   #339
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress
I haven't read a single post, but I tried...sincerely tried to watch SR again. I just can't do it.
I'm in the same posistion. I've been accused of hating the movie because I didn't want to like it in the first place, and its total BS. I was a big defender of this movie pre-release and was very, very psyched to see it. I wanted to love this movie, I still want to love it, but I just can't. I feel so empty and joyless watching it.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Old 12-24-2006, 07:24 AM   #340
ultimatefan

Quote:
it had light jokes sure...but the overall tone was far too................depressing..................... .....to fit into a supey movie.
What was in the movie that was darker or more depressing than, say, the first movie? Jor-Elīs goodbye to his son was pretty sad, so was the death of Clarkīs father, his goodbye to Martha, the apparent death of Lois.Supes not being able to be with Lois is a basic movie character conflict, itīs not necessarily any more depressing than any "impossible love" story, Superman being close to death is also another basic heroic conflict, and he survives and finds out he has a son. By comparison, the first Spidey movie has a more depressing ending, Peter not only feels forced to give up on the girl he loves, his best friend vows revenge on Spider-Man.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
Old 12-24-2006, 08:26 AM   #341
Brainiac 2009
Banned User

One plus with the dark somewhat realistic universe Bryan created for Superman is how easily it could blend with the universe Nolan created for Batman. Obviously it wasnt intended for that reason but it could make things easier in the future if WB does go forward with a teamup film as Paul Levitz suggested they would.

I wouldnt drastically alter it.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #342
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

i think the look was very dark and that contributed to the tone. no sunfor the last 45 minutes.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 12-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #343
ultimatefan

Quote:
i think the look was very dark and that contributed to the tone. no sunfor the last 45 minutes.
It was kind of the point, Superman gets his power from the sun, it was to fragilize him, raise the suspense and stakes. It makes more poignant the scene where he flies above the clouds to get the power of the sun, of the light.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #344
Zen Ith
Banned User

Quote:
What was in the movie that was darker or more depressing than, say, the first movie? Jor-Elīs goodbye to his son was pretty sad, so was the death of Clarkīs father, his goodbye to Martha, the apparent death of Lois.Supes not being able to be with Lois is a basic movie character conflict, itīs not necessarily any more depressing than any "impossible love" story, Superman being close to death is also another basic heroic conflict, and he survives and finds out he has a son. By comparison, the first Spidey movie has a more depressing ending, Peter not only feels forced to give up on the girl he loves, his best friend vows revenge on Spider-Man.
SR is definitely less upbeat than Superman: The Movie. The story is a lot more personal and damaging to Superman.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #345
ultimatefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Ith
SR is definitely less upbeat than Superman: The Movie. The story is a lot more personal and damaging to Superman.
Itīs the conflict, the character has to have problems, itīs basic storytelling. The way some fans talk, it feels like anything but the lyrics to "Sunshine, Lollypops and Rainbows" is too dark and depressing for Superman.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:32 PM   #346
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

a lot of people keep saying that superman 2 was serious with some fun, but imo it was very farcical. the donner cut was way darker and a better film than the lester version of 2. all it needed was a shirt rip scene. returns could have been great but all they did was remake the first film with a new element(the kid). singer needs to stop paying "homage" to the donner film. the sequel should have a scifi elements and lots of necessary action, with more speaking lines for superman. its hard to see how he went from a serious/fun movie like x2 to the debacle that sr turned into. i hope singer and co can bring superman back like nolan brought bats back.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #347
kamaldhamal2007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemaman
Serious! I don't need another FF
hahaha

LOL no wonder you came to F4 boards and bad mouthed even though the teaser for F4:ROTSS beats anything that was shown from SR in trailers and tv spots.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #348
ultimatefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaldhamal2007
hahaha

LOL no wonder you came to F4 boards and bad mouthed even though the teaser for F4:ROTSS beats anything that was shown from SR in trailers and tv spots.
The trailers for the first FF looked better than the final product. I wonīt put my hopes up again.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #349
Zen Ith
Banned User

Quote:
Itīs the conflict, the character has to have problems, itīs basic storytelling. The way some fans talk, it feels like anything but the lyrics to "Sunshine, Lollypops and Rainbows" is too dark and depressing for Superman.
Still, the conflict was much more depressing. In Superman: The Movie, Supes fell in love and considered saving people as being the most fun he has ever had in all his life. In Superman Returns, Lois Lane has turned against him, had a kid and is engaged. His crystals were stolen. He was all alone. It's a much more depressing conflict.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #350
Sun_Down
Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman
The fact that Superman is taken seriously may be the greatest thing about Superman Returns. If the sequel is dumbed down (like Superman 2) then it will be a horrible mistake.
Precisely. It was a movie made for adults and I loved that approach. I know it's blasphemy to say this, but I really don't know why people defend Donner's Superman films as if they were perfect. I cringed through most of STM and Superman 2 because of the light, campy and downright goofy tone that dominate those films. Burn me at the stake if you want, but I loved the tone of SR and hope it continues.