The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #51
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

Default Re: Anime that would make great film adaptations

Perfect Blue I think would make for a good live action film, since it was originally intended to be one to begin with.

Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM   #52
MrkLrn13
Side-Kick

I'd love to see Yu Yu Hakusho as a live action film. I just have this images in my head, I think it could work...

MrkLrn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 PM   #53
topnotch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrkLrn13 View Post
I'd love to see Yu Yu Hakusho as a live action film. I just have this images in my head, I think it could work...
I don't think it would work in america

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #54
IRON_Lad
Side-Kick

I think they should make a live action Genshiken. And maybe Tenjho Tenge too.

IRON_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #55
Sebastos
Bebop User

I love Tenjho Tenge , it would be cool to see it turned into a live action movie.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Sebastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:10 AM   #56
topnotch
Side-Kick

Monster
Heat Guy J
Elfen Lied
Cyborg 009
009-1
Gatchaman
Apocalypse Zero
Code Geass
The Big O
Bio Hunter
Witch Hunter Robin
Gundam
Gungrave
Golgo 13

Old 06-22-2008, 03:32 AM   #57
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I'd say most of the Gundam universe flies right to mind. I think War in the Pocket or MS 08th Team would make good one-shot films. But they'd be bad for building franchises and may be "too small sscale." I personally think Gundam Wing would make an excellent trilogy on par in scope to LOTR, if done (and streamlined) correctly.

I think Cowboy Beebop would make an interesting anime franchise, but I'm not sure you could cram everything into a trilogy and you'd be more looking at a series of adventures like Indiana Jones.

I personally love Full Metal Alchemist and it may be my favorite anime...but I don't see it working as a movie or a series of movies. Too much would be lost in translation to Hollywood and all the mystical stuff doesn't lend well to cinema, especially big budget "play-it-safe" cinema. Also, the story is way, way, WAY too convoluted to even try and shorten to three films. Even if they were all 3 hours, you just couldn't do Full Metal Alchemist (the series) justice in three movies. Which I imagine is the problem with a lot of anime.

But when producers are calling anime/manga the next frontier after comic book movies run their course, they aren't kidding. They lend themselves to film far easier than video games do (which Hollywood still screws around with miserably). The only problem is most anime is just not "mainstream American culture" enough to be popular without Hollywood tinkering/screwing with it, though.

DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #58
Xenoska
Side-Kick

GTO younger years!!!
His biker gang days!

it'll be like Deuces wild but with motorcycles and more violence!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #59
topnotch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I personally love Full Metal Alchemist and it may be my favorite anime...but I don't see it working as a movie or a series of movies. Too much would be lost in translation to Hollywood and all the mystical stuff doesn't lend well to cinema, especially big budget "play-it-safe" cinema. Also, the story is way, way, WAY too convoluted to even try and shorten to three films. Even if they were all 3 hours, you just couldn't do Full Metal Alchemist (the series) justice in three movies. Which I imagine is the problem with a lot of anime.

But when producers are calling anime/manga the next frontier after comic book movies run their course, they aren't kidding. They lend themselves to film far easier than video games do (which Hollywood still screws around with miserably). The only problem is most anime is just not "mainstream American culture" enough to be popular without Hollywood tinkering/screwing with it, though.
Full Metal Alchemist could work if done by Guillermo del Toro. Comics weren't part of the mainstream American Culture until good movies were made.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:15 AM   #60
wellsy
All crews reporting.

And who's to say we should only be limited to trilogies?

Old 06-23-2008, 04:17 AM   #61
MoPlaYa
Crazy Guy

Naruto and Inuyasha

Old 06-23-2008, 04:32 AM   #62
topnotch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPlaYa43 View Post
Naruto and Inuyasha
Sorry but I don't think the American audience would go see that. It would end up harming those brands in America.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #63
oakzap425
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
Sorry but I don't think the American audience would go see that. It would end up harming those brands in America.
Inuyasha could work, taking in the most important aspects of the movie. It'd be a great Fantasy franchise.

Naruto could work, if done right. But it's hard finding good Child actors now a days... The adults would be easy to cast, it's the Younger generation that would be hard.

oakzap425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #64
ironwez20
Side-Kick

no my friend, naruto would suck in live action do a cgi movie like thier doin ghost in a shell, naruto will be a hit with a cgi movie that would be pg 13.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:05 AM   #65
MoPlaYa
Crazy Guy

CGI would be a better choice...but if done right a live action Naruto movie would work too

Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #66
topnotch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironwez20 View Post
no my friend, naruto would suck in live action do a cgi movie like thier doin ghost in a shell, naruto will be a hit with a cgi movie that would be pg 13.
Where did you find info on Ghost In The Shell. I don't want it to be all CGI, it will end up being like Beowolf.

NARUTO CAN'T BE A MOVIE PERIOD NOT EVEN CGI.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #67
oakzap425
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironwez20 View Post
...I don't know you, we're not friends.

And Naruto could most definatly work as a live action.

oakzap425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #68
topnotch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakzap425 View Post

Not in America

Old 06-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #69
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Full Metal Alchemist could work if done by Guillermo del Toro. Comics weren't part of the mainstream American Culture until good movies were made.
I love Full Metal Alchemist as over time I think it has become my favorite anime. But it has several things working against it as a film series. As you pointed out comic book movies can work, but more often than not they are poorly made with notable exceptions imo (BB, IM, SM1/2, X1/2). The thing is they're all rooted in American culture and the western "hero" pattern. They follow the traits that almost all heroes do in western culture in their trials and tribulations and the fantasy/sci-fi is grounded in exposition. They may be MacGuffin, but outside of Star Wars, no major sci-fi/fantasy piece I know of has been so broad with this sort of thing.

FMA is very much a part of eastern ideology, even if it is set in a Europe-ish land and sold to a niche audience in the west who loves anime. It is kind of weird. And unlike comics it has a very definitive single story line that fans will demand to be faithfully adapted. However, the story is so long and unwieldy, I just don't see it working in three films. It is TOO big. It is too wide and lives better as a sesrial. Plus things that give that show its character, like much anime, would not work in a Hollywood movie; like Armstrong's character and appearance, complete with pink stars, or Sensei/Teacher beating her students every five seconds, etc. I just don't think Hollywood or mainstream audiences will "get" the alchemy aspect either.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:39 AM   #70
topnotch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I love Full Metal Alchemist as over time I think it has become my favorite anime. But it has several things working against it as a film series. As you pointed out comic book movies can work, but more often than not they are poorly made with notable exceptions imo (BB, IM, SM1/2, X1/2). The thing is they're all rooted in American culture and the western "hero" pattern. They follow the traits that almost all heroes do in western culture in their trials and tribulations and the fantasy/sci-fi is grounded in exposition. They may be MacGuffin, but outside of Star Wars, no major sci-fi/fantasy piece I know of has been so broad with this sort of thing.

FMA is very much a part of eastern ideology, even if it is set in a Europe-ish land and sold to a niche audience in the west who loves anime. It is kind of weird. And unlike comics it has a very definitive single story line that fans will demand to be faithfully adapted. However, the story is so long and unwieldy, I just don't see it working in three films. It is TOO big. It is too wide and lives better as a sesrial. Plus things that give that show its character, like much anime, would not work in a Hollywood movie; like Armstrong's character and appearance, complete with pink stars, or Sensei/Teacher beating her students every five seconds, etc. I just don't think Hollywood or mainstream audiences will "get" the alchemy aspect either.
Go watch:
Mimic
Blade 2
Hellboy
Pan's Labyrinth
The Orphanage
The Devils Backbone

Then tell me if you think Guillermo del Toro can't adapt FMA for a worldwide audience.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #71
wellsy
All crews reporting.

But DaCrowe has a very valid point. The manga goes for 17 volumes, the anime 51 episodes plus a movie. In order to convey the richness and complexity of the story, you'd need more than three films to do it. And if we're dealing with young actors as well, then they'll grow up (and get tall...) while they film it.

I won't say its impossible, but I highly doubt that an adaptation would do the source material justice (though I'd love to be proven wrong).

Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #72
X-Ray
Ippiki-ookami

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsy View Post
But DaCrowe has a very valid point. The manga goes for 17 volumes, the anime 51 episodes plus a movie. In order to convey the richness and complexity of the story, you'd need more than three films to do it. And if we're dealing with young actors as well, then they'll grow up (and get tall...) while they film it.

I won't say its impossible, but I highly doubt that an adaptation would do the source material justice (though I'd love to be proven wrong).
That's why you bust a Lord of the Rings and film all 3 movies in one year.

1999-2012

Miss you little buddy

X-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #73
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

The only way I could see FMA being adapted faithfully without leaving to much out is if it was made the same way the mini series Band of Brothers was made. The quality of the series was fantastic and had a motion picture feel to it, plus it had plenty of time for the story to progress. Plus the way CGI technology has progressed would mean soming on a series budget rather then a motion picture would still give sothing like FMA justice.

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Avangarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:52 PM   #74
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Go watch:
Mimic
Blade 2
Hellboy
Pan's Labyrinth
The Orphanage
The Devils Backbone

Then tell me if you think Guillermo del Toro can't adapt FMA for a worldwide audience.
I've seen all of those except the last one. Del Toro is an excellent director and Pan's Labyrinth was my favorite movie of 2006 (albeit that was a lackluster year).

But all of those movies are EXTREMELY simple stories and with the exception of the forthcoming Hellboy II, Del Toro's movies are always small with small budgets and free of Hollywood tape. Full Metal Alchemist would have to be a huge franchise undertaking which means Hollywood financed which means heavy studio involvement. It is ideologically different from western culture and Hollywood's mainstream summer movies.

But it is EXTREMELY convoluted as well. It is a dense thick material that I do not think could be adapted in three films without major revisions. If fans can live with that it is fine, but the characters and stories live better in a serialized form.

Something like Cowboy Beebop or Gundam Wing I could see making fine film franchises. I prefer FMA, but I just don't think the material lends itself to cinema as it cannot be told and be done justice in 3 two hour films or less.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:57 AM   #75
ironwez20
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakzap425 View Post

i never said we were have you ever heard of sarcasm, trust me i wouldnt want to be yor friend, any way naruto would make a great cgi movie.

Last edited by ironwez20; 06-28-2008 at 03:37 PM.
ironwez20 is offline   Reply With Quote