Default Re: Marvel needs to buy the rights to batman

Funniest thread ever!

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #29
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I swear to you, most people on this board dont know anything about batman...IMO, of course...

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #30
anrrd_2
YA POOZERS!

Th Confused Re: Marvel needs to buy the rights to batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I swear to you, most people on this board dont know anything about batman...IMO, of course...

i know him personally....we play card every other thursday with santa claus and chuck norris

Old 01-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #31
Gilpesh
Banned User

Let's just say the biggest reason Marvel should not be allowed near Batman...

One More Day

Gilpesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #32
Sparta*
~Servant of Shao Kahn~

Batman doesn't fit into any universe...thus is the beauty of Batman...he is in a league of his own in everyway.

If Marvel owned Batman.........I don't even want to imagine the horror

Sparta* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #33
Doctor Baywatch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparta* View Post
Batman doesn't fit into any universe...thus is the beauty of Batman...he is in a league of his own in everyway.

If Marvel owned Batman.........I don't even want to imagine the horror

Batman fit well into the DC universe, before the "mature thinking" started and took the magic away

Doctor Baywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #34
anrrd_2
YA POOZERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Baywatch View Post
Batman fit well into the DC universe, before the "mature thinking" started and took the magic away
so batman should be for "mature thinking" people? or did i misunderstand?

Old 01-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #35
Doctor Baywatch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrrd_2 View Post
so batman should be for "mature thinking" people? or did i misunderstand?
No, he should be an all-ages character and not be viewed with realistic, "mature" eyes.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #36
anrrd_2
YA POOZERS!

Quote:
No, he should be an all-ages character and not be viewed with realistic, "mature" eyes.
i agree with you...but at the same time i dont. i grew up with batmanTAS which was largley catered to kids....and i think all kids deserve that. but now ive grown up and want to see a darker more gritty realistic batman. should i, a loyal bat-fan, be denied that simply because im not a child anymore? no.

finding mediums between the two will only make EVERYONE mad. so their either has to be a way to sell two different kids of batman, or someone has to go without what they want....

Old 01-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #37
Sparta*
~Servant of Shao Kahn~

Batman can be made to appeal to any age group...that is the reason behind his popularity and logevity IMO so much can be done with his character its virtually limitless and that is why Batman is the most published character, has been worked on by the most different people, and why he has the most comics and graphic novels out of any character to date.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #38
Doctor Baywatch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrrd_2 View Post
i agree with you...but at the same time i dont. i grew up with batmanTAS which was largley catered to kids....and i think all kids deserve that. but now ive grown up and want to see a darker more gritty realistic batman. should i, a loyal bat-fan, be denied that simply because im not a child anymore? no.

finding mediums between the two will only make EVERYONE mad. so their either has to be a way to sell two different kids of batman, or someone has to go without what they want....
the things is: Years ago comic audience was a different thing. Young people started reading and a few years later they quit. They moved on. Every 5 years or so the "reader generation" changed. So no one complained about repeating stories, static situations like "The Joker escaped again!!!!", because to them it was new. But today comics are read by a small and remaining crowd who can even influence the makers of the comics books through internet. And so superhero comics became darker and darker, so the readers could feel more "mature" and not be embarrassed by the childish "funny books" they loved and could say to "civilians": "It's not kid stuff it's violent and not for kids!". Simple characters became edge-y, things that worked for decades were changed because grown-ups considered these things "stupid". New readers find it very hard to get into "comics" these days. Because we have a heavy-connected universe with complex character relationships which leads to new questions like "Why didn't Batman simply call Bane to stop him?".

I think it is a bad thing. Comics have lost the magic, I enjoy the old stuff quite more, without uber-psychological approaches ("Oh, teh Batman is teh psycho because he dresses up like a bat"). Heroes were just heroes and didn't have to have dark stains.

But hey, perhaps this is not my world anymore
I can still read my old "treasures".

Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #39
anrrd_2
YA POOZERS!

Quote:
the things is: Years ago comic audience was a different thing. Young people started reading and a few years later they quit. They moved on. Every 5 years or so the "reader generation" changed. So no one complained about repeating stories, static situations like "The Joker escaped again!!!!", because to them it was new. But today comics are read by a small and remaining crowd who can even influence the makers of the comics books through internet. And so superhero comics became darker and darker, so the readers could feel more "mature" and not be embarrassed by the childish "funny books" they loved and could say to "civilians": "It's not kid stuff it's violent and not for kids!". Simple characters became edge-y, things that worked for decades were changed because grown-ups considered these things "stupid". New readers find it very hard to get into "comics" these days. Because we have a heavy-connected universe with complex character relationships which leads to new questions like "Why didn't Batman simply call Bane to stop him?".

I think it is a bad thing. Comics have lost the magic, I enjoy the old stuff quite more, without uber-psychological approaches ("Oh, teh Batman is teh psycho because he dresses up like a bat"). Heroes were just heroes and didn't have to have dark stains.

But hey, perhaps this is not my world anymore
I can still read my old "treasures".
see to me the comics have gained magic throught the complexity...but then again im one of the "few remaining" you speak of...i guess from an outsiders perspective you have a good point.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #40
Ibn
Side-Kick

DC + Marvel = Redskins + Cowboys.

Never happen.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #41
Dark Phantom
Sing for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah12345 View Post
Batman and his related characters really do not fit in the DCU. He sticks out in the JL like a sore thumb. He would fit in so much better at Marvel because so many of their characters are much more human and not as cheesy/invincible.

If they bought the rights to batman, I'd would be an exclusive marvel reader.

Unfortunately Batman is my favorite superhero by far so I have to continue buying all the DCU books that have important batman events included in them.

I just have one question to ask you my fellow hypster...

What the hell were you thinking when you created this thread?!!!

Did you seriously believe that all of us would agree with you? or at least one person for that matter? Have you been on the hype lately? Do you not know of popular opinion? Because I'm trying to understand the logisitics of why you let this notion be made public to an infinte group of blood-thirsty hypsters. They will eat you alive my friend. They will take any opinion you have out of the norm and shred it to pieces, making you wish you never had an opinion in the first place. So yeah, I hope you knew what you were getting into.

With that I will say this is the thread of the year...and it's its only january 2.

Dark Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #42
luke1234
World Sick

Wow your comic reputation has gone right down the toilet. BATMAN WILL FOREVER BE A DC SUPERHERO! PLUS MARVEL IS IN THE ****HOLE RIGHT NOW ANYWAY

Old 01-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #43
Sparta*
~Servant of Shao Kahn~

this thread is irrelovent mainly because DC would NEVER EVER EVER EVER sell Batman and if they ever did Marvel couldn't afford or handle him lol well they could probably afford him but not handle him

Last edited by Sparta*; 01-02-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #44
MattMetalHead
Deranged Vagrant

That's silly.

MattMetalHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #45
Micah12345
Side-Kick

lol OH NO MY REPUTATION AS A COMIC FAN!

WHAT WILL MY FELLOW ANONYMOUS POSTERS THINK OF ME!!!

hahahaha

Old 01-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #46
joke
Side-Kick

This widespread notion that Marvel's characters are somehow more realistic/relatable/down-to-Earth is completely ridiculous. While it is true that a lot of DC characters are very powerful and even Batman, a normal human, has been "powered up" beyond his limits in various stories, does not mean that Marvel is any better.

The Fantastic Four, the Hulk, every X-Man ever, Nova, just to name a few. Spider-Man, who started out as the Joe Schmo of super-heroes, who has always been hailed as the so-called street-level hero with his minor powers and personal life problems. The character whose wife was a supermodel, who now has organic webshooters, lives with Stark and the Avengers. The character who didn't get his powers accidentally (unlike the original premise that he's just a random guy, one of the millions who could get them), the whole supernatural Spider-Totem mess. The character, who just had 20 years of his life and marriage completely erased. The character, who has fought in multiple spacebattles, against aliens, against world-dominating tyrants. See the pattern?

Even the Punisher, a normal human, a character who doesn't even match Batman, has been getting progressively more powerful in his comic. The amount of punishment (no pun intended) he has taken recently in his own series is absolutely ridiculous. Or how about the amount of times various X-Men have been brought back from the dead. How about Wolverine and his incredible healing powers (or should we call them death-cheating powers now), which have been increased exponentially?

Fact is, every character in every comic is technically unrelatable and unrealistic because of the fact that they have superpowers and live in a comicbook world with comicbook physics and comicbook logic. What makes them relatable are their problems, their tasks.. Tasks, which every character has. Superman has dealt with acceptance issues, being the lone survivor of a whole world, being the outcast on Earth. Batman has dealt with his trust issues, his fears, his utter disregard for the law. Green Lantern, for example, is supposed to protect a whole sector of space with multiple planets and there have been a lot of stories about his failures, most notably the whole Hal Jordan/Coast City fiasco. John Stewart's problems with being responsible for the destruction of a whole planet. The list goes on.

In the end, if you want to lay blame on DC for making their characters too strong or somehow unrelatable to you, then you also have to blame Marvel, because honestly, it happens to every comic character.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #47
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Yeah, Marvel needs to buy the rights to Batman.

I dunno about you, but I'm looking forward to seeing Bruce Wayne reveal himself to be Batman to the public, and seeing Oracle get brainwashed into killing Nightwing, and even seeing Catwoman turn out to be a Skrull.

Sorry, but Marvel's no better. IMO the fact that Batman doesn't "fit in" with the rest of the DCU means that he ABSOLUTELY should remain a part of it. That's part of the beauty of the character.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #48
Doctor Baywatch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochimus View Post
Yeah, Marvel needs to buy the rights to Batman.

I dunno about you, but I'm looking forward to seeing Bruce Wayne reveal himself to be Batman to the public, and seeing Oracle get brainwashed into killing Nightwing, and even seeing Catwoman turn out to be a Skrull.

Sorry, but Marvel's no better. IMO the fact that Batman doesn't "fit in" with the rest of the DCU means that he ABSOLUTELY should remain a part of it. That's part of the beauty of the character.
And, BTW; there are LOTS of non-powered hero characters in the DCU.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #49
anrrd_2
YA POOZERS!

of ant charater would be better of switching teams, it would be punisher moving to dc.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 AM   #50
Agentsands77
Side-Kick

Batman should absolutely stay where he is. His difference from some of the other DC heroes (Superman) is what makes his presence there so perfect.

Agentsands77 is offline   Reply With Quote