The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Who should direct the Superman REBOOT?
Steven Spielberg 32 15.53%
Louis Leterrier 6 2.91%
Christopher Nolan 20 9.71%
Bryan Singer 22 10.68%
Brett Ratner 2 0.97%
Jon Favreau 7 3.40%
George Miller 6 2.91%
Other 111 53.88%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2006, 06:24 AM   #101
kal-el1990
Side-Kick

Default Re: Singer Sequel or a Ratner Reimagine? VOTE!

i would love to see in a movie with the returns cast a proper superman movie with a real villan like bizarro metallo or darksied or braniac!!!! is that so hard to do. out of the 2 i would go with singer cuz i loved superman returns

kal-el1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #102
Lightning54SC
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart
Singer Sequel or a Ratner Reimagine? VOTE!

Why not both?
Kal im with you on this my BT buddy .....

i think singer has great vision but was held back by the studio a bit... remember the studio wanted the ladys to be involved in this movie....so i say let singer do his vision of the love triangle and let ratner do the action....

but some changes id like to see is....

1. a NEW JOR-EL like form the comics i want someone in there late 30's to do the role... jor-el was young when he shipped Kal-el off... and id like him to dress triditional like in the comics if possible

2. no shooting movies back to back.... set up a villain for the sequal and LEAVE IT THERE.... dont do a POTC or Matrix shoot

3. DONT BE SCARED of a 2:30 over running time if you need time to explain a story then make a 3 hour flick just try to keep the movie watchers on there toes rather then staring at there watch make 3 hours feel like an hour and half

4. DOnt be afraid to explore krypton, meaning the history... if done right it could possibly be one of the most memorble scenes in hollywood history

Lightning54SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #103
Man_of_Steel
Side-Kick

Look, Brett Ratner ruined the X-Men franchise. Okay, maybe that's taking it a bit too far. It was mostly 20th Century Fox's fault for attempting to rush the movie out without Singer. Ratner was just the man they put in charge of the disaster. However, seeing Superman Returns after seeing X-Men 3 made me so relieved that Singer had directed it instead of Ratner. Plus, I have a feeling Singer will redeem himself with those who hated the movie with uh...Superman Returns...again....

Man_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #104
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I don't mind a direct sequal, but I don't want Singer near this project.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 AM   #105
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko Is King
Singer isn't perfect, but I don't want Ratner anywhere near Superman.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #106
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart
Singer Sequel or a Ratner Reimagine? VOTE!

Why not both?

Cool vid KM.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #107
Delete
Side-Kick

Can I chose neither?

Delete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #108
BooST eD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark
I don't mind a direct sequal, but I don't want Singer near this project.
well he's ehre to stay so hopefully we get something really juicy this time

Old 09-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #109
TKing
Side-Kick

If Ratner tries to pull anything like he did with X3 on Superman, I ain't watching it.

TKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #110
ScottishFogg
Narnian

i want a Singer sequel. we've all seen what Ratner does when he takes over one of Singer's visions -- and no-one wants THAT again.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #111
romeogbs19
Side-Kick

Nope -- don't want a Ratner vision of Supes. Singer's is fine. It wasn't the best movie and sure, there were problems with it, but there is a LOT of potential here for a great sequel and 3rd film.

I'm hoping Singer and co. have read "Son of Superman" and Busiek's "Secret Identity" -- if they haven't, they should. Many elements from those storylines could be weaved into the next two installments, and I for one would be more than happy with that addition.

romeogbs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #112
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Default What Director would you most like to see step in for the next movie?

I'm not putting in a poll. There are just too many decent directors out there.

So, just post who you would like to see replace Singer for the next Superman film and why. Show some examples of their work and why you think it's applicable to the world of Superman.

Me, I'm thinking George Lucas or Steven Spielberg.

Either can handle both the fantastic and the ordinary and make you believe and enjoy it.

Their work is everywhere and you can easily see how Star Wars and THX 1138 fit into Krypton and the science fiction aspect of the character. We could easily have Darksied or Brainiac under Lucas. American Graffitti gives us a look at how he might handle Jimmy.

Speilberg, on the other hand, can handle deep drama and still give us the fantastic while keeping us grounded in reality. We could possibly get a very deep Clark, Lois, and Perry from this director.

Unlike many here, I have a deep respect for Mark Steven Johnson's work on Daredevil. I think it's a much underated work with some nice performances.
I actually would rank Johnson higher than either Lucas or Speilberg for a Superman film just on the basis of his ability to present fantastic characters in a believable setting - and for the amount of depth he tries to bring to the characters without changing them too much from source. Respect of source is key.

Those are only a few of the directors I would pick.

I'd love to hear yours.

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #113
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: What Director would you most like to see step in for the next movie?

I'd like to see Singer continue, but if he doesn't, then I'd definitely go with Steven Spielberg. I think he'd be more suited for Green Lantern than Superman though. We all know he can handle sci-fi and fantasy. But my favorite Spielberg films are Minority Report and Munich, the latter moreso because it's a great character study, and shows Spielberg can get in the head of his characters.

Peter Jackson would be another good choice, as I liked King Kong and his 1930s New York, which is somewhat similar to my idea of Metropolis. Also can't forget his work on LOTR.

The Wachowski Brothers are another choice, on the strength of the first Matrix film and V for Vendetta. I think they'd have a better time adapting Superman due to the plethora of stories to choose from. They would just need someone to keep their CGI usage in check.

And I too loved MSJ's work on Daredevil, mainly the Director's Cut which is one of the best superhero flicks I've seen.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #114
BasinCityBlues
Side-Kick

Default Re: What Director would you most like to see step in for the next movie?

I would be happy to see Singer continue. I might be one of the only people to think this, but I brought depth to Superman. Yet if I had to choose a new director, I would say Richard Donner. I would like to see what he would do.

BasinCityBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:48 AM   #115
sithgoblin
King of the Castle

Speilberg would never touch Superman. There's no point in even speculating that he'd direct it. At the most he might produce, but even that's unlikely considering he's never shown any interest in the genre.

I think Alfonso Cuaron would be a good choice.

sithgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:30 AM   #116
CGHulk
Green Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithgoblin
Speilberg would never touch Superman. There's no point in even speculating that he'd direct it. At the most he might produce, but even that's unlikely considering he's never shown any interest in the genre.

I think Alfonso Cuaron would be a good choice.
That's not tue. Spielberg wanted to direct Superman the Movie years before they chose Donner, but the Salkinds later kicked themselves when he made it big with Jaws.

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 10-09-2006 at 03:52 AM.
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 AM   #117
sithgoblin
King of the Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk
That's not tue. He wanted to direct Superman the Movie years before they chose Donner, but the Salkinds later kicked themselves when he made it big with Jaws.
That was 30 years ago. He's changed a lot since then. Look at the kinds of films he makes now compared to the 70s. His filmmaking style has changed.

He also wanted to direct a James Bond movie back in the day. Fat chance of that ever happening.

If Speilberg really wanted to do Superman, he would have been involved with it before now. He had plenty of chances to take the helm back when SR was in development hell, and he could have easily joined Singer's production as a producer, the same way he joined Transformers.

But he didn't. Why? Because he has no interest in it.

Last edited by sithgoblin; 10-09-2006 at 03:53 AM.
sithgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:58 AM   #118
zanos
Banned User

Peter Jackson but at this point I could care less. Singer has done enough damage that I don't think a new director will add much to the films.

zanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:07 AM   #119
matthooper
Side-Kick

Anyone but Singer.

I thought JJ Abrams did a great job with MI:3. He brought real emotion to a crappy franchise. The action was great too. I'd like to see him film a Supes script written by some really talented writers who happen to be Superman fans, and know his character from more than just one 70's film.

Unfortunately, SR did just mediocre enough box office to keep Singer.

matthooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #120
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Alfonso Cuaron? This is a name I'm not familiar with.

Can you list some of his films and what he might bring to 'the party'?

Old 10-09-2006, 08:16 AM   #121
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

BTW, I don't think the franchise is completely unsalvageable.

There are fixes that could be done to eliminate some of the more objectionable Singer additions: i.e. Jason and Richard.

I've thought of three ways just now while writing this. I'm sure whoever took over the helm would be able to do at least that if not better.

But, I don't want to sidetrack this thread. The subject is who would you like to see step in to direct the next film and why.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #122
Antonello Blueberry
Inglorious bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler
Alfonso Cuaron? This is a name I'm not familiar with.

Can you list some of his films and what he might bring to 'the party'?
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" or the very good and upcoming "Children of Men".
But I think he will be busy in the neùxt few years with other projects
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0190859/
He's very good both with the actors and with the camera.
In "Children of men" there are some unmbeleavable shots.

Antonello Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #123
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

singer needs to stay. and since he IS staying, this thread is pointless. it should be closed.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:13 AM   #124
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

Singer. I don't want the flavor of the series to change once it's been established. I liked SR and feel it's a solid start to a franchise. Others who dislike it, will of course disagree, and I wouldn't expect anything less. As far as I'm concerned, I'd love to have Spielberg take a crack at Big Blue, but Superman lost any chance of seeing Steven direct when Alexander Salkind pissed the opportunity away in the '70s by waiting for someone "better" to come along (thankfully Donner did a good job, in my eyes) so he's a pipe dream at best. Zemeckis or Whedon would be the only other choices I'd go for in terms of a director. Someone above mentioned Cuaron, and he's also pretty solid. Honestly, with his visual styling, he'd be the most suited to take over from Singer because his color palette is almost like Singer's.

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
KaptainKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #125
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Before this thread starts to go off track, let me reitterate the theme here:

This is not a debate thread about Singer. This thread is intended to see who you would like to see take over the reigns and why - whether you like Singer or don't.

It's Batman cousin is a thread about who should take over if Nolan chose to leave.