The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #76
xtremetty

Default Re: 1:1 Ironman Movie Costume Replica. Tmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1780 View Post
Gundam I fear your words will fall on deaf ears. Like I said I think we just ignore the comments, I am. Just so not worth getting angry about.

Xtremetty, a Ferrari ! Your my hero, thats my dream car.

I am a VP for a national marketing firm, still a long ways from owning one of these, I say with deep regret. So feel free to impart some of your your wisdon on me, unlike ...our friend, you will find me all ears.

Carter
TK1780
I fear I may have started something that I had no intention of doing. I got everyone so off topic but I was getting so frustrated watching ZK haggling with you guys like you were pawning off Tijuana chewing gum. I'm just very impressed with your work, both of you. Something ZK won't understand is your work ethic.

Advice is always free, I've worked my ass off to start and run several successful business including real estate, clothing, a couple of restaurants and a couple of patents. My advice, just be aware of all of the opportunities around you. No idea is ever really bad, you just have to know what to do with it. I actually started in marketing out of college and after seeing your work, I can tell you're creative and talented.

Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to create these works of art. I applaud you guys on your charity work, I'm very lucky to be were I am at 38. I do what I can as well. My restaurants have been on National TV several times which gives them a high profile and me the ability to help several local and national charities through events like celebrity golf tournaments, etc. If you're looking for more specific business advice maybe we can discuss it on a different forum.

Could you give me some advice? Can you tell me what books are good to read about costume building?

In the mean time, here are a couple of pictures to keep you motivated, my babies.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #77
tk1780
Side-Kick

okay...now I feel out done, I am 43 hmm...38 huh, is it to weird for a 38 year old guy to adopt a 43 year as a son ?

Come on man I would be a good son, I can do things and we can play catch come on ! Hey ! I will seal the deal, I will show you everything I know about making costumes (lol)

Truth be told my friend, I got every scrap of info off the net. Tutorials on molding, casting sculpting, the whole works. Like you my time is at a premium I attend a lot of meeting outside my home city from one end of the county to an other so the hardest chalenge was ways to buget my time so when I did work on the suit it was efficent time. So my reading material while traveling and at bed was all on the how tos of Fiberglassing and things of that nature.

Be a dull read most of the time but once I got onto the project I was hooked.

Again regretably I dont have the toys you have ( drool) but I have been fairly wise with my cash ( looks around at all the left over bits for Iron man costume coughs ) my house is clear, no debts, and retirement have been sowed up for years. I am retiring at 45 and will still work out half time as a consultant to the same company I am with now ( more money, less stress, less work time )

Anyway, nice to break off on a tangent once in a while. Was nice of you to toss some words at our friend who I notice has not been back ( thank God )

Beside I am waiting for TMPs next picture update here so I can drool at that some more.

Be well !
Carter

tk1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #78
tk1780
Side-Kick

okay...now I feel out done, I am 43 hmm...38 huh, is it to weird for a 38 year old guy to adopt a 43 year as a son ?

Come on man I would be a good son, I can do things and we can play catch come on ! Hey ! I will seal the deal, I will show you everything I know about making costumes (lol)

Truth be told my friend, I got every scrap of info off the net. Tutorials on molding, casting sculpting, the whole works. Like you my time is at a premium I attend a lot of meeting outside my home city from one end of the county to an other so the hardest chalenge was ways to buget my time so when I did work on the suit it was efficent time. So my reading material while traveling and at bed was all on the how tos of Fiberglassing and things of that nature.

Be a dull read most of the time but once I got onto the project I was hooked.

Again regretably I dont have the toys you have ( drool) but I have been fairly wise with my cash ( looks around at all the left over bits for Iron man costume coughs ) my house is clear, no debts, and retirement have been sowed up for years. I am retiring at 45 and will still work out half time as a consultant to the same company I am with now ( more money, less stress, less work time )

Anyway, nice to break off on a tangent once in a while. Was nice of you to toss some words at our friend who I notice has not been back ( thank God )

Beside I am waiting for TMPs next picture update here so I can drool at that some more.

Be well !
Carter

Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 AM   #79
TMP
Side-Kick

Heading out the door... Will write more when i get back... right now... OH MY GOD!! LOVE IT!!!

TMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #80
tk1780
Side-Kick

Your giving me a heart attack TMP, I am taking this to be a sign of a n awesome test fitting or pictures there of ? Or something along that line.

I sense pictures to drool over coming our way soon

Old 03-20-2008, 08:01 AM   #81
TMP
Side-Kick

Well TK... I was actually reffering to the Cars.. r should i say... Mecanical wonders. It was not the suit heheh it could be.. But not final testfit it yet. The crown juwel still remains.. thats the mask...

Ok. on my way out again... Its sun and warm in the sun beams, blue sky, snow in the hills. Oranges in the back pack, some snack, chocklade warm and cold and som good coffy.... Oh... Got to go.. The children are screaming daddy outside

Old 03-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #82
TMP
Side-Kick

Just wanted to update you guys with the final helmet.
All ready primed and ready for paint.

PS!. The painted helmet above is the 2nd version that i scrapped. Its VERY different from this one. Will share comparisson shots later.

Enjoy!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #83
arman200
Side-Kick

Looks a lot Better. Simply amazing.

http://tkath.libsyn.com/webpage
arman200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #84
TMP
Side-Kick

Default 1st TEST FITTING!

The person who is in the suit is 6 feet tall with a pretty slim bodyshape.
The midsection is partially modified to his size. The armor got room for a much bigger person.

Let me know your thought.

As you se on the arm you will notice how slim the person is and how much more bigger a person can be.

What i in this photo is that due to the slim size of the person the armor had to much room in the chest area and therfore the upper armor have slided to much backwards. I belive if i add some foam on the back of the shoulder and front of the chest the armor will align better and the chest's top will be pressed forward instead and backwards.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #85
Rocker22
Side-Kick

Looks great TMP.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:24 AM   #86
blk_spidey
New Goblin

that's awesome TMP!!

Rest In Peace Michael Jackson- The King Of Pop!
You will be missed.
Rest In Peace Heath Ledger.
blk_spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #87
tk1780
Side-Kick

Yup when you look at this armor all you can do is drool.

TMP would that I could ever have just half of your talent ! If there is anyone out there who is better than this, they must be under a rock. You Sir are King. A most well deserved title.

Hats off once again my Norwegian Friend

Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #88
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Just wanted to update you guys with the final helmet.
All ready primed and ready for paint.

PS!. The painted helmet above is the 2nd version that i scrapped. Its VERY different from this one. Will share comparisson shots later.

Enjoy!
How come you scrapped it. Why not just sell it?

bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #89
TMP
Side-Kick

Well, If your not satisfied with the helmet why should you sell it? Pride behind the work.

This is the final helmet. The bellow is an experiment.
Alumineum (Metal) helmet painted and paint rubbed off to get a weathered and damaged helmet...

Old 04-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #90
Gundam
Side-Kick

Love it!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #91
Rocker22
Side-Kick

Great work TMP!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #92
xtremetty

I was at Paramount Studios yesterday. A friend on the lot was showing us around. We walked into the theater on the studio lot. This is the theater that they use for movie openings for all the celebs. Before we even walked in, we could hear the rumble. The sound was amazing. There were only a couple other people in there. I'm assuming it was the director or producer or something. We had no idea what movie was even playing when we walked in and it was about 5 to 10 minutes into the movie. Don't think we were supposed to be in there but it was dark so we grabbed a few seats. Robert Downey Jr. appears on the screen and then they pan to a stockpile of missiles and crates with Stark written all over it. I was hooked so we stayed for the rest of the movie. Bottom line, it was absolutely awesome.

Last edited by xtremetty; 04-09-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 04-13-2008, 04:10 AM   #93
alienfactory

Hi everyone
This is my first post here.
Tmp and TK1780 your work is absolutely remarkable ! I don't mean to step on anybody's toes, but to achieve such an accurate work on a replica is really difficult, unless you have all the blueprints etc.. which you don't, if I am not mistaken..So Thumbs up guys!
To add my little stone to the subject on 'how come it costs that much' I'd like to add this : I don't think it's very expensive. I mean, of course it's very expensive (and I certainly couldn't afford to buy one myself) but for the reasons that has been explained it's NOT that much. First of all, to make a symmetrical, smooth machine-like sculpture takes a lot of time and expertise. Any flaw on the sculpture could take hours to fix.More so, one needs to make a silicone mold of the sculpture, cast it in plaster or resin,to get it right and smooth, by sanding, fixing etc. Just to have it flawless. Often, you need to make another mold, with silicone, backed with a solid jacket in order to make it stiff enough to keep its shape. It is a highly technical and time consuming process. And I am not talking about the material. Fiberglass is a damn messy and stinky material. And fumes (from the chemicals) and dust (from sanding, cutting, etc) are highly toxics. So you need proper respiratory system and protection.It is also quite expensive. So is the silicone. And pretty much everything that comes into the making of this suit. And if you think you only see the final result, not the countless and inevitable trials and errors I assumed were made (no pun intended, it's just the way it might have been)...This also has a cost.
Also, automotive paint is very expensive... Not mentioning to make a wearable suit is extremely difficult, the body has so many ways of moving and bending and stretching... Most of the Robocop suit was a foam latex undersuit, where it needed to follow Peter Weller body (restricted) movements and where articulations were involved. The armour was fiberglass. And it's heavy.
Well I can only start to imagine how much it must have cost you guys in term of time and money.
So congrats, guys. You have my respect.

Gilles

Old 04-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #94
TMP
Side-Kick

Default Painted armor.

BONUS PIC.

Last edited by TMP; 04-24-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #95
Rocker22
Side-Kick

Wow it does really look dead on to the movie suit. Once again great work TMP.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #96
xtremetty

Default Re: Painted armor.

Wow, this armor looks amazing. Incredible work. Any pictures of it on yet?

I have a couple questions. What material is being used for the neck? I can't imagine it being a fiberglass or hard plastic. Ouch. Also, the picture of the hands look like they're solid and not articulated. Are they soft gloves or something?

Old 04-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #97
Rocker22
Side-Kick

And then you edit it with another great one.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #98
TMP
Side-Kick

The gloves are rubber, but i plan to make the palm in abs plastic and the fingers in rubber. This will be an future update / upgrade.

The neck shown is a ABS version. I plan to cut it in sections and glue it on a Stormtrooper necksesal. This way the peices will go on top of eachother like an real armor. However i also have an neck in rubber.

BTW. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #99
TMP
Side-Kick

Well. I had very little proffesional help to get this on. Only my Whife helped and she is not so tecnical and dont know what to look for as far as error. So it does not fit perfectoy as it should. I cry when i se the errors.. Because if i were on the outside it whould have been looking perfect.
I also need to raise the shoulders a bit with some foam to make it stand higher. As some of you noticed i had to paid a pair of Robocop feet red..
I knew it whould not work but its better than nothing. The feet thats in progress will be fairly high in the back with a heal. so i am raised up on the back of my foot and the lowest point by the toes. If you look closely you will se that they did this for Darth Vader ep 3 and the LG photo of Ironman. The chalange will only be to get shoes with such a high heal.

The neck is not atached. I am adding the ABS sheets in layers on a Stormtrooper neckseal. This way i can move my neck and ont be scratched and the details will look sharp.

The pant i used was of the smaller version. I had two laying arround. And she picked the one that was 2 inch to short on both sides. I could not se this when se put it on. But just to inform the correct sized fits perfect.

The midsection plate is in several layers so it gives actullay great movement.

The legs was also good. I atached them to a belt arround my waist.
I will look into some other belt system as i go on.
I will problably also cut a bit more onto the back of the lower leg in between the joints allowing me to better bend my knee. I can walk stair but it is not easy, especially when you can se the damn legde of the stair.

The gloves.. Well as you se they are in foam rubber. Looking into for futur upgrade to make it in ABS plastic so that is hard as well.

For the chest i had an EL sheet it lights up in darker room. In daylight you cant really se it. For the eyes.. Well ... I almost given up i tried so many things to make them light up and keep the visability. I know from wearing this that YOU NEED CLEAR VISABILITY!!! No compromize.

YOU KNOW MY NAME....

LOWER YOUR WEAPON!

PUNK... YOU DONT FIRE AT ME..

YOU BETTER RUN!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #100
blk_spidey
New Goblin

that's incredible! amazing work! keed it up!

Rest In Peace Michael Jackson- The King Of Pop!
You will be missed.
Rest In Peace Heath Ledger.
blk_spidey is offline   Reply With Quote