3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #26
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Ryan Gosling To Play Jack Ryan?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35388

More News On The New Jack Ryan Film -- Does It Have A Director Now?!

Hey, everyone. ”Moriarty” here.

If this is true, then I am officially interested in the new Jack Ryan film in a way that hasn’t been true since THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER.
A couple of days ago we reported that Paramount is working on a new Jack Ryan movie - one without the involvement of author Tom Clancy, the creator of the literary hero.

Today we received word that the front runner to direct "By Any Means Necessary" - which will star Ryan Gosling as Ryan, if the studio gets their way; he's yet to sign - is Fernando Meirelles , director of the acclaimed films "City of God" and "City of Men". An interesting choice indeed. Not exactly the first choice on anybody's lips when someone's in need of a helmer for their action/thriller, but at the same time, one that will no doubt deliver something different... which is clearly what the Ryan series' needs - a shake-up.

Again, nobody - neither director or actor - has signed for the new Ryan movie yet, but this is who Paramount is talking to as of today.

Read the whole story here!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #27
Indy
Banned User

hell no, Gosling shouldn't play him, they need to bring Ford back

Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #28
Catman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabman View Post
OH ****; HELL NO... Dude got KIM BASINGER with that hairy chest?
Some women like a hairy chest.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:15 AM   #29
Rezzo
The Fire Rises

I guess this bit of news can go in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variety
Raimi, Paramount revive Jack Ryan
Director taking on Clancy character after 'Hell'

Paramount Pictures is in negotiations with Sam Raimi to spearhead a franchise revival of Jack Ryan, the Tom Clancy-created CIA analyst character who drove four hit movies for the studio.

Raimi would develop and direct a series of films to be produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Raimi's Buckaroo Entertainment partner Josh Donen.

The intention is to generate several films Raimi would develop and direct, featuring Ryan at a younger, more formative point in his career than previously depicted. One invention the studio is considering is to set the film in the present, with the action triggered by a global threat.

Par will draft a scribe to write a Ryan movie that Raimi would shoot after he completes the Universal horror film "Drag Me to Hell." Paramount wants the Ryan movie ready for release in summer 2010.

Ryan is the cerebral CIA analyst who climbed the political ladder and became an Everyman action hero star in a quartet of films spearheaded by producer Mace Neufeld. Alec Baldwin originated Ryan in 1990's "The Hunt for Red October" and when Baldwin famously jumped ship to do "A Streetcar Named Desire" on Broadway, Harrison Ford replaced him in 1992's "Patriot Games" and 1994's "Clear and Present Danger." Ben Affleck played Ryan in 2002's "The Sum of All Fears." The four films grossed $781.5 million worldwide.

While Clancy is completing another Ryan novel, the studio hasn't read it and so hasn't decided if it will use the new book or come up with an original story. Paramount controls rights to the Ryan character, and gets first look at the new novel.

Raimi was drawn to the project because he loves the character. The studio was attracted by Raimi's skill in navigating a franchise, following a trio of "Spider-Man" blockbusters. Raimi is by no means out of the running to make more "Spider-Man" films, but he would have to direct the first film after "Drag Me to Hell" for the studio to make its 2010 release date.

Rezzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #30
Gotham
Side-Kick

Raimi? Ain't that odd..

Gotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #31
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

I guess we know now Raimi will not be directing Spidey 4 more than likely as Sony won't wait that long to get it off the ground.

JustABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:33 AM   #32
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Odd choice, interesting though.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #33
Symbiotic
Let's go catch a Spider

More Jack Ryan you say? What's that? Directed by Raimi?! I'm sold.

Symbiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #34
tzarinna
С новым годом!

Very interesting.

tzarinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #35
The Guard
Side-Kick

Why they haven't just brought Harrison Ford back and made RAINBOW SIX is beyond me.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #36
Timstuff
Banned User

What's the point of making a Jack Ryan movie that's not based on one of Clancy's books? I'd rather have a new movie based on a JR-less Clancy book than a JR movie with no Clancy. The Sum of All Fears sucked badly enough as it was just by tampering with the source material-- but to exclude it entirely can only mean disaster.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #37
Timstuff
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabman View Post
OH ****; HELL NO... Dude got KIM BASINGER with that hairy chest?
Yikes... You can't even tell if he has nipples under that carpet.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #38
Asgard
Kanga Fu

Im interested.

I loved Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger(best one of the series.)

Sum of all Fears was pretty good, but I didnt really like Ben Affleck in the title role.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #39
Catman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
I guess we know now Raimi will not be directing Spidey 4 more than likely as Sony won't wait that long to get it off the ground.
He'll just produce.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #40
Timstuff
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
Im interested.

I loved Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger(best one of the series.)

Sum of all Fears was pretty good, but I didnt really like Ben Affleck in the title role.
Sum of All Fears was total crap. Not only was the plot retarded (neo-fascists instead of zealot Arab terrorists? What, was this written by the Church of Scientology?), but there wasn't a single real action scene in the movie. There was a massive destruction scene, sure, but there were no shoot outs, car chases, or any of the good stuff that is commonplace in the Harrison Ford ones. Sum of All Fears got an F minus from me.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #41
Gotham
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
What's the point of making a Jack Ryan movie that's not based on one of Clancy's books? I'd rather have a new movie based on a JR-less Clancy book than a JR movie with no Clancy. The Sum of All Fears sucked badly enough as it was just by tampering with the source material-- but to exclude it entirely can only mean disaster.
Again, I think is the same situation with the Bourne franchise. I believe only the first film was based on a novel, and then they went from there.

Gotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #42
Dark Donnie
Kenny Powers is Back!

Quote:
Neufeld and di Bonaventura to resurrect Jack Ryan
Author: Clint Morris Date: Thursday, October 23rd, 2008 Time: 11:26 pm

Sam Raimi may be off the project (he was never officially attached anyway - but his company had expressed interest in developing a new set of movies based around the popular literary hero) but that's not enough to deter Paramount from doing a new Jack Ryan film - nope they've just bought in some 'old blood' - including someone who has been associated with this particular film series from the start - to fuel the reboot. Even more, the new film is on the fast-track.

We checked in with a very solid source over there who tells us "Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Mace Neufeld have been rehired by Paramount as producers on the franchise, with a mandate to come up with a Jack Ryan original ASAP. By Any Means Necessary has been abandoned as a potential new Ryan story.At present there are no director and no star attached."

di Bonaventura, producer of "Transformers" and the upcoming "Beverly Hills Cop 4", was involved in "By Any Means Necessary", which at one stage was planned to be the next Ryan movie. That idea was abandoned when Raimi expressed interest in doing something with the character.

Neufeld has produced all of the past Ryan pics - all based on books by Tom Clancy - kicking off with 1990's "The Hunt for Red October". He hadn't been involved in the development of the now-abandoned "By Any Means Necessary".

We're also informed that it's still just as much a possibility that the film may feature an 'older' Ryan, as opposed to a younger version. It will all depend on the winning script. Personally, I'd love to see Harrison Ford return to the role - it's one franchise character he's never too old to play - and he's shown interest in reprising the role (he played in "Patriot Games" and "Clear and Present Danger") too. It'll also be a much bigger project if Ford returns - - and no doubt, a much more successful film than what it'd be if it featured say, a young gun in the part (they've tried that - with the Ben Affleck-starring "The Sum of All Fears" - and it didn't work).

Win-Win, I say.
http://www.moviehole.net/200816282-n...rect-jack-ryan

Old 12-19-2008, 02:52 AM   #43
Sam Fisher
Heavy Meddle

Default Hossein Amini Penning New Jack Ryan Movie

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51444

Hossein Amini Penning New Jack Ryan Movie

Source: The Hollywood Reporter
December 19, 2008

Screenwriter Hossein Amini has been hired to pen a new Jack Ryan movie for Paramount Pictures, says The Hollywood Reporter. The character, created by novelist Tom Clancy, has not appeared onscreen since 2002's The Sum of All Fears.

Mace Neufeld and Lorenzo Di Bonaventura are producing the project for Paramount. "Spider-Man" franchise director Sam Raimi was on the hook to direct and produce a new Ryan installment, but his packed schedule made his involvement unworkable.

Amini's new Ryan film is planned as an origin story, not derived from Clancy's novels and ultimately featuring a new, younger star.

Alec Baldwin played Ryan in the first film, The Hunt for Red October, while Harrison Ford starred as the character in both Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger. Ben Affleck also took on Ryan in The Sum of All Fears.

Amini was nominated for an adapted screenplay Oscar in 1998 for The Wings of the Dove. His other credits include Jude and The Four Feathers. He has The Golden Compass sequel adaptation The Subtle Knife in development at Warner Bros. and the Weinstein Co. drama Shanghai in post-production.

I TRUST IN THE SPIDER-MAN REBOOT
Sam Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:00 AM   #44
biolumen
The End

Default Re: Hossein Amini Penning New Jack Ryan Movie

I'd rather see "Red Storm Rising", but the fall of the Soviet Union has sorta put a damper on that one.

biolumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #45
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

Default Re: New Jack Ryan Movie

I stil think they could carry on with the books and keep Ford in the title role.... Debt of honor and Executive decisionwould make for a pair fo great movies.

And as Jack is not out there balls deep in the action Ford could still play him.

Admittedly they'd have to ignore the Affleck version of 'Sum of all fears'... but, though i liked it, i can see a lot of people agreeing to forgeting about that movie.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #46
Dark Donnie
Kenny Powers is Back!

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/07/06/...cys-jack-ryan/
Quote:
George Clooney as Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan?

Posted on Monday, July 6th, 2009 by Russ Fischer

This is what I get for skimming. First thing this morning I looked over the first page of Kim Masters’ story at The Daily Beast about George Clooney’s production company moving to Sony, but I didn’t read the whole thing. And Anne Thompson noticed, on the second page, an assertion that Clooney is interested in helping Paramount revive the Jack Ryan character seen in The Hunt For Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger and The Sum of All Fears. This is just the latest Ryan revival rumor to hit the web in the last couple years, but I’ll admit: it’s one of the better ones.

Specifically, Masters writes this: “A source says he expressed interest in playing Jack Ryan when and if Paramount attempts to revive the Tom Clancy series.” OK, so that’s not much. It’s very thin. But Clooney has the gravitas, the vulnerability and the muscle to play Ryan in any of his incarnations, whether true to the novels or three different film portrayals.

Three actors have played Ryan so far: Alec Baldwin (Red October); Harrison Ford (Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger); and Ben Affleck (Sum of All Fears). Though Patriot Games is a solid action movie, Baldwin’s version remains my favorite. He’s closest to the source, too. On paper the character has had severe back problems, which cut short his military career, and is a financially savvy analyst and historian. In short, he’s more of an egghead in the novels than on screen, where he became more of an action star over the course of four movies.

Last year, reports surfaced that Ryan Gosling might topline a revival of the character for Paramount, and Sam Raimi was in negotiations to direct the new film and a possible string of sequels. (There was also a rumor that James Franco was being eyed as a possible Ryan.) Given his involvement with Spider-Man 4 at this point, a Raimi Jack Ryan film isn’t going to happen any time soon. Whenever Paramount gets someone to push the movie forward, it will be the second ‘official’ reboot of the character, as Ben Affleck’s outing was reboot number one.

So: discuss. Is George Clooney the man to fill Jack Ryan’s shoes, or did he get his shot long ago in The Peacemaker? (Not a Jack Ryan story, but close enough.)

Old 07-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #47
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

I could definately get down with Clooney as Jack Ryan. I haven't seen it but Syriana seems like a Jack Ryan role.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #48
Sam Fisher
Heavy Meddle

Yay...more rumors. Why can't Paramount just make the darn movie already!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #49
Asgard
Kanga Fu

That'd be cool with me.

It probably means we won't be seeing Jack Ryan's formative years in the CIA anymore. It'll probably be a movie in between the events of The Patriot and Clear and Present Danger.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #50
Sam Fisher
Heavy Meddle

Jack Ryan was in the Patriot?