2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #76
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: New Jack Ryan Movie

I think this is a good move for Pine and a good piece of casting.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #77
amazingfantasy15
Side-Kick

If they aren't going to use one of the books as the basis, then why even call the character Jack Ryan? I don't like the idea of rebooting the franchise, the basics of the character come from him started out in the final days of the cold war and moving up the CIA, then political ladder. They should shift the focus to John Clark, Ding and Rainbow Six, that could be a much more comtemporary story. It'd work a lot better, Ding could be the lead so you'd have the young star. Rainbow as a terror fighting outfit would work perfectly in today's climate. If you're gonna do Jack Ryan though, don't reboot it with a young star, get Harrison Ford back and do Executive Decision, sure it's a huge book, but there's a lot that can be taken out without losing the essentials of the story.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #78
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingfantasy15 View Post
If they aren't going to use one of the books as the basis, then why even call the character Jack Ryan? I don't like the idea of rebooting the franchise, the basics of the character come from him started out in the final days of the cold war and moving up the CIA, then political ladder.
I have to agree with u here

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #79
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61385

Details on the Next Jack Ryan Film

Source:Silas Lesnick
December 4, 2009

Producer Mace Neufeld spoke this morning at the Invictus press conference where he also updated the status of the next Jack Ryan film, set to star Chris Pine.

Neufeld confirmed that the new as-of-yet-untitled project will not be based on a Tom Clancy novel but will, instead, be an original screenplay.

The character of Jack Ryan has previously appeared in the Clancy adaptations The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger and The Sum of All Fears, the latter of which represented a previous attempt to reboot the franchise with a younger actor in the lead. Neufeld says that, while the plan is still to skew young with the casting of Pine, the story will not be an "origin story."

"We pick him up when he's on Wall Street," says Neufeld, "...[but] the Jack Ryan movies have never been action films. They're kind of 'thinking man's thrillers.' Jack is referred to as a 'water-walker' because of his ability to jump ahead to conclusions. That's very big in all the Jack Ryan films and that's how we want to portray him. He's a teacher. He's a historian. He's a linguist. And he's really smart."

The first draft has been completed by Hossein Amini and a rewrite by Adam Cozad is set to start soon.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #80
Paroxysm
Banned User

New Details on the Chris Pine Reboot of Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan Series
Quote:
There’s been no small amount of speculation about what the previously untitled Jack Ryan film starring Chris Pine will feature in terms of plot, where it might fit amongst the existing films starring Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford and Ben Affleck, and what it will mean for the character.
Now we’ve got a working title — Moscow — and some details about what we might expect from the script.

Pajiba reports that the film will find Ryan after his tour of duty as a Marine, before he joins the CIA. At that point the character is a stock broker, which will be a big part of the lead-in to the story. The title refers to the fact that, rather than working in Baltimore as the character did in the novels, he’ll be working as an advisor in Moscow for a private employer. As Pajiba’s report says, “It is that billionaire employer who eventually sets Jack Ryan up to take the fall for terrorist plot designed to collapse the U.S. economy.”
That’s more or less in keeping with producer Mace Neufeld’s previous statement about the film:

"We pick him up when he’s on Wall Street…[but] the Jack Ryan movies have never been action films. They’re kind of ‘thinking man’s thrillers.’ Jack is referred to as a ‘water-walker’ because of his ability to jump ahead to conclusions. That’s very big in all the Jack Ryan films and that’s how we want to portray him. He’s a teacher. He’s a historian. He’s a linguist. And he’s really smart."

From there the film gets into territory that is somewhat familiar for the series: there’s danger to his family and his own good name, and an enemy plot to uncover and thwart.

So the interesting detail is that Pajiba notes the script sounds a lot like Dubai, written by Adam Cozen and sold in 2007 to Jack Ryan / Moscow producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura. I won’t give up too many details about the similarities here, because I suppose they could be considered spoilerish, but you can check the original article if you’re really curious about points of comparison that may or may not hold true in the final tally. Last we heard, Cozen was tapped to rewrite Hossein Amini’s script for this new version of the character, so the idea of incorporating elements of Dubai doesn’t come out of left field.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/12/...k-ryan-series/

Paroxysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #81
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

I like the sound of that a lot.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #82
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Jack Bender Directing Jack Ryan Reboot 2.0 Moscow

Old 08-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #83
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Jack Bender was the best director of Lost. This should be great for him.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #84
Paroxysm
Banned User

Sweet

Old 08-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #85
Cinemaman
Side-Kick

Jack Bender. Chris Pine. Moscow. Damn, it reads just too good to not ignore it!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #86
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

Bender directed the 2 part Alias story with Tarantino in it. Hopefully this gets moving now.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #87
Timstuff
Banned User

Default Re: New Jack Ryan Movie - Moscow

Chirs Pine as Jack Ryan?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #88
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

Would have liked to see Pine playing Jack Ryan Jr. and Harrison Ford back in the actual role.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #89
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

‘Sherlock Holmes’ Screenwriter Tapped to Rewrite Paramount’s Jack Ryan Reboot

Old 09-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #90
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

having jack Bender as Director and Chris Pine as Ryan are good moves but don't people think after making Ryan young In The sum of all fears rebbot.That didn't match expections so they are doing yet another Reboot?

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #91
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Pine has this Ford like quality to him, but I'm not liking his casting based on that, it's just he's a great actor and a good leading man with alot of presence.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #92
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Normally I don't really like reboots unless they are done with alot of considerations and planning (Spider-man reboot doesn't really fall into this category), but I'm cautiously optimistic about this Jack Ryan reboot with Chris Pine so far. However, it seems to me that they will have to retool his origin if they want to keep the setting in the modern era, and not the end of Cold War like it was in Red October.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #93
Mindvacancy
Newbie First Class

I don't like the idea of chris pine playing jack Ryan at all. Sure it will appeal to younger guys and women that need some Chissled chin in their movies, but Jack Ryan movies are like monopoly… long and not much happening until the last 12 minutes.

We need an actor like Clive Owen here. Someone who has more depth and intensity than these young bloods. Harrison "warning oppinion may not reflect reality" was the best Jack Ryan ever. The man could juice an orange with the furrow of his brow and the intensity of his eyes… from across the room.

An actor who can really carry a bloated Jack Ryan movie would be greatly appreciated. An actor that can bring a film with long "boring" chunks of espionage blather and politics to life, between the obligatory 1.75 minute action sequences.

Mindvacancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #94
BizarroAids
Heh

Not that I'm against this, but I'd like it if they went with a Jack Ryan Jr. story.

Should be good with Pine though, it has to be way better than Ben Afflecks attempt.

SMALLVILLE
2001-2011
BizarroAids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #95
Crockett
With Teeth

Steve Zaillian to rewrite the script.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/stev...ite-jack-ryan/

I do hope that after he rewrote finished the script, that they could finally move forward with this movie.

Last edited by Crockett; 02-03-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #96
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=76965

David Koepp to Rewrite Jack Ryan Project

Source: Deadline
April 28, 2011

David Koepp has been brought aboard to rewrite Paramount's Untitled Jack Ryan Project, reports Deadline.

Though news broke earlier this year that Clear and Present Danger screenwriter Steve Zaillian would rewrite the Adam Cozad script (originally by Hossein Amini), the article says that Zaillian left the project before starting and that the rewrite is now completely in the hands of Koepp.

The plan is for the film to remain an origin story of the character, as reported some time back when producer Mace Neufeld told ComingSoon.net that the as-of-yet-untitled project would not be based on a Tom Clancy novel but would, instead, be an original screenplay.

"We pick him up when he's on Wall Street," said Neufeld in 2009, "...[but] the Jack Ryan movies have never been action films. They're kind of 'thinking man's thrillers.' Jack is referred to as a 'water-walker' because of his ability to jump ahead to conclusions. That's very big in all the Jack Ryan films and that's how we want to portray him. He's a teacher. He's a historian. He's a linguist. And he's really smart."

The character of Jack Ryan has previously appeared in the Clancy adaptations The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger and The Sum of All Fears, the latter of which represented a previous attempt to reboot the franchise with a younger actor in the lead. Chris Pine is still attached to headline this version.

Koepp is considered one of Hollywood's screenwriting heavy-hitters, responsible for (among many other films) Jurassic Park, Spider-Man and Mission: Impossible.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #97
BizarroAids
Heh

I wish they would have used some sort of plot from a Clancy novel and not just give him an origin story and a complete new screenplay.

They could have done the "Red Rabbit" story about when Jack is a young CIA analyst and gets with a soviet to stop the assassination of the Pope. I guess they could change the part to have him on Wall Street, but still I think it would be a great story. The book came out about the time when "Sum Of All Fears" the movie was in theaters.

Again, Pine would be a perfect Jack Ryan Jr. and hell Ford could return as JR Sr. and be in his Presidential adminstration.

SMALLVILLE
2001-2011
BizarroAids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #98
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Deadline:
Quote:
Jack Ryan: Female Lead Between Keira Knightley, Felicity Jones, Evangeline Lilly
By MIKE FLEMING

Paramount is looking hard for the female lead for its Jack Ryan franchise relaunch that will star Chris Pine in the CIA analyst role made famous by Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford and Ben Affleck. Kenneth Branagh is directing and playing the villain. I’m hearing that the frontrunner is Keira Knightley, and that Felicity Jones and Evangeline Lilly are also in the mix.

Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel met but are no longer in the running. This is a high profile role–the future wife played by Anne Archer in the Harrison Ford trio of films–and it should be sorted out soon. It involves options that would put the actress in potentially three pictures. Stay tuned.
Evangeline, please.

H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #99
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

I thought this was stuck in development hell, when did Branagh get involved?

Count me in on preferring Evie over the other two.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #100
Paroxysm
Banned User

Felicity Jones for me.