The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 08-31-2008, 04:52 PM   #26
The Bruce
The First and Best

Default Re: Final Fantasy Versus XIII

This is why I think it's gonna be a long time before we see a next gen of consoles. Imagine the wait for a FF game for the PS4

Old 08-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #27
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
This is why I think it's gonna be a long time before we see a next gen of consoles. Imagine the wait for a FF game for the PS4
I really hope this console generation lasts longer than 4-5 years. The Xbox 360 is already close to passing the 3 year mark and they're most likely likely to make the jump first and the others will have to follow

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 AM   #28
Fading
>:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I really hope this console generation lasts longer than 4-5 years. The Xbox 360 is already close to passing the 3 year mark and they're most likely likely to make the jump first and the others will have to follow
My guess is the PS3 is going to be around for a long while. They still have yet to streamline the hardware costs. I can't see them jumping into even more expensive hardware just yet. The Phoenix on the other hand I see being given a release date in 2 years. If the rumor from the Xbox forums is right, Halo 4 was already announced as a Phoenix launch title. Which means their alrdy working on games for it. Some games take 3-5 years to develop, and since Bungie has done so many Halo games they probably have it down to a science, so probably 3 years to make it when they start.

The good news tho, IMO, is that developers are already starting to understand the cell processor. So hopefully by next gen they'll use it better, and Sony will find a way to keep costs down.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 AM   #29
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenien View Post

[/
Looks like Alan Rickman (Snape from Harry Potter). lol

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #30
Havok83
Side-Kick

Wow I cant beleive its been a year since this thread has been posted in. Well, finally some Final Fantasy VS XIII info
'
Quote:
Fans expecting to learn more about Final Fantasy Versus XIII at the Tokyo Game Show last month were likely a bit disappointed to see a tiny trailer that we called "abysmal" in our coverage.

"That wasn't development stuff, but a technical demo reel of sorts," director Tetsuya Nomura explained in this week's issue of Famitsu magazine. "The Venetian cityscape won't be in the game. We hurriedly put together a video because we wanted people be assured that Versus is also still under development."

Makes sense, we suppose. So can we expect anything from that trailer -- the forest, for example -- to show up in the final Versus? "There will be more natural scenery than FFXIII, I think," Nomura replied, "but the field map, as the video itself said, was made in only two weeks, so it won't be like that in the final game. The monsters in the video don't even have textures applied to them."

Hmm. Well, what about gameplay? Will the action be an extension on Kingdom Hearts' play system, as has been suggested elsewhere? "It will fall close to that category, but we're aiming for a fusion of new features with the classic FF style. We see level design as the most important part of development here, but it'll be a while before we can show any of that."
All right. When will we get to see more, then? "We'll gradually unveil it starting next year, at E3 if we're quick enough," Nomura closed.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176584

Quote:
Visitors to Square Enix's Tokyo Game Show booth were shown what looked like first gameplay footage of Versus XIII. This footage, Nomura stressed in the interview, was just test footage.

Towards the end of the footage, we got to see main character Noctis running about an expansive open field with giant dinosaur-like creatures roaming about. The giant beasts had no textures, explained Nomura. The staff put the creatures in as a means of testing how large they could make them (they were pretty big!).

A town sequence shown prior to the field sequence featured some human characters who shined with a white color. There won't be any such characters in the actual game, Nomura revealed.

The actual Versus XIII gameplay experience, explained Nomura, will be an extension of Kingdom Hearts, but blended with the "newness" and "nostalgic feel" of Final Fantasy. The development staff is placing a particular emphases on the game's level design.

There will be some sort of partner system, with characters moving independently of one-another, but always connected. The TGS footage apparently had a window in the lower right of the screen displaying the position of your partner characters. This window probably won't make it in, as it gets in the way of making players feel like they're in the game.

We'll get our first real look at non test footage for Versus XIII some time next year. At earliest, we'll have to wait until E3.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/103/1037157p1.html

Last edited by Havok83; 10-22-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #31
eternalinferno
Side-Kick

is this game gonna be showcased at E3?

eternalinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #32
eternalinferno
Side-Kick

double post

eternalinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #33
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

I dunno. Agito XIII is the next game to be release (the PSP one), but it's entirley possible they show off this now too.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #34
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
I dunno. Agito XIII is the next game to be release (the PSP one), but it's entirley possible they show off this now too.
It is? I havent heard anything about Agito in ages. Last time I saw it, it was jus a few screenshots in very early stages. Im hoping Vs XIII comes out next year but I wouldnt be surprised if its a 2012 title unfortunately

Old 03-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #35
Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadingCB View Post
My guess is the PS3 is going to be around for a long while. They still have yet to streamline the hardware costs. I can't see them jumping into even more expensive hardware just yet. The Phoenix on the other hand I see being given a release date in 2 years. If the rumor from the Xbox forums is right, Halo 4 was already announced as a Phoenix launch title. Which means their alrdy working on games for it. Some games take 3-5 years to develop, and since Bungie has done so many Halo games they probably have it down to a science, so probably 3 years to make it when they start.

The good news tho, IMO, is that developers are already starting to understand the cell processor. So hopefully by next gen they'll use it better, and Sony will find a way to keep costs down.
Heh, gotta love going off of info at the time. The Phoenix? I remember someone mentioning that as a potential name. I guess the Halo I was talking about was Reach, and in a small sense if they play Natal up it's kinda a console relaunch...lol, huge stretch.

Anyway, back to Vs. XIII and helping bump it, the more I hear on this the better it sounds. I like the talk of it being more open world. I never played a Kingdom Heart game, so no clue what a merge of that gameplay + a somewhat classic feel would be like, so can't comment on that. My guess is tho that it'll release 2011. With both XIII and XIV launching in 2010, I doubt they'd want to launch all 3 of their major FF titles within the same year. Vs. XIII has to have enough done to warrant an E3 trailer this year atleast tho. I think Sony should show it off a bit this year, then if it releases next year the hype train will already have been started on it.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #36
Havok83
Side-Kick

Not much, but finally some word on the game

Quote:
The creators of Final Fantasy XIII have been notoriously tight-lipped about the Fabula Nova Crystallis trilogy, a series comprised of FFXIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII and the PSP-exclusive Final Fantasy Agito XIII. During a GDC panel titled "The Crystal Mythos," director Motomu Toriyama gave a few scant details about the other two branches of the trilogy, and the few similarities connecting the entries in the franchise's 13th series.

Toriyama's main point during his presentation is that Agito and Versus won't be sequels to the recently released Final Fantasy XIII -- they'll both have their own unique set of characters, gameplay systems and overarching stories. The only thing connecting them is the "Crystal Mythos" motif -- a theme where the fates of ordinary humans are controlled by omnipotent gods. Players of Final Fantasy XIII should already be acquainted with this storytelling device.

The other detail about the series Toriyama mentioned was that, like XIII, the rest of the series will continue to focus on story-driven gameplay rather than allowing the player to explore an open world. For better or worse, it sounds like Versus and Agito will possess the same linearity for which XIII was frequently criticized.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/14/gd...=Google+Reader

Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #37
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
In a recent interview on the Japanese Square Enix Members area, Tetsuya Nomura has revealed further information regarding the upcoming Final Fantasy Versus XIII title – currently set to be released exclusively on PlayStation 3.
In a response to a question as to how much of the game is complete, Nomura responds “Things are not connected yet, every part is moving along separately. However, we have gotten airships working over the world map.”
Following complaints regarding the linearity of Final Fantasy XIII, such a statement will sure to be great news to fans looking for the series to return to a more open nature.
Within the same interview, Nomura also revealed that his favourite character that he created was Sora, as well as stating that he hoped they could make a sequel to Dissidia: Final Fantasy.
http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/03/...-map-airships/

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
KALEL114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #38
uchiha_itachi
Baym!

Erm what? HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL YEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Madam, I am a professional. The Key to my release is under this pillow."

Add me on Playstation Network!
Avvy By
uchiha_itachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #39
Havok83
Side-Kick

There are now rumors that FF VS XIII will end up on the 360 with an E3 announcement. Good lord I hope not. After the disappointment that FF XII was presumably bc they had to scale back in order to make it work on both systems, I hope Square-Enix leaves VS XIII alone as it is. I want to see a FF game created for the PS3, taking full advantage of the hardware and the space that BR offers. I dont want to see them start chopping things away and taking things out that are standard to FF games in order to accomodate a multiplatform release

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=109495&page=1#

Old 05-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #40
Tron Bonne
There's Evil Here. Within

Quote:
There are now rumors that FF VS XIII will end up on the 360 with an E3 announcement. Good lord I hope not. After the disappointment that FF XII was presumably bc they had to scale back in order to make it work on both systems, I hope Square-Enix leaves VS XIII alone as it is. I want to see a FF game created for the PS3, taking full advantage of the hardware and the space that BR offers. I dont want to see them start chopping things away and taking things out that are standard to FF games in order to accomodate a multiplatform release

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=109495&page=1#
There's absolutely no real truth to those rumors, though. The only thing that made people speculate that is the supposed 'game length' that was cut, but all that was cut very early in the development stage, probably before the 360 version was even being worked on. Plus, I have doubts about what kind of content was really cut

Unless a team member leaves Square and flatout says that was the case, I doubt FFXIII would have been all that different. It was simply a different direction than previous titles.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #41
Havok83
Side-Kick

Im not sure if I beleive that. FF XIII was in development for a long time. Much longer than expected. For a game that took so long to develop and got delayed s long, it was suprising that it had noticeably less content than the previous title. It wasnt even comparable to the 2 previous main ones that came out before it. It was light on the features and very limited. I dont beleive everything that was cut was decided early in development process. It felt more like it was rushed bc they needed to finally release the thing bc they were taking too long and they needed to release it at the same time on both systems, so they had to scale back and trim down enough so that these deadlines and goals could be met.

At any rate, I really hope that the flaws which plagued XIII do not occur with VS XIII. The FF series used to be the crown jewel franchise of RPGs. FF was synonymous with top quality. FF XIII was the most critcized game in the franchise and tarnished Square-Enix's once pristine reputation. From what Ive played, I dont mind it like others but the fact is it got slammed pretty bad for a FF game across the net, in reviews, among gamers, etc... FF VS XIII is a chance to redeem themselves and I hope they dont repeat their most recent mistakes with this outing. I hope what they bring to the table is what most FF would expect bc if feel they are forced to start chopping away at it, linearizing what they have adn limiting the gameplay and options, they are going to find themselves in the same situation they just were in

Old 05-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #42
Tron Bonne

Quote:
Im not sure if I beleive that. FF XIII was in development for a long time. Much longer than expected. For a game that took so long to develop and got delayed s long, it was suprising that it had noticeably less content than the previous title. It wasnt even comparable to the 2 previous main ones that came out before it. It was light on the features and very limited. I dont beleive everything that was cut was decided early in development process. It felt more like it was rushed bc they needed to finally release the thing bc they were taking too long and they needed to release it at the same time on both systems, so they had to scale back and trim down enough so that these deadlines and goals could be met.
Well, it's what they said, unless they were lying about it, the majority of that content was cut very early on. I'm still very iffy on what the content was, we were never given a list, I think a lot of the 'game length' comments were hyperbolic. Until there's proof otherwise, I just don't buy into the theory.

And long development time doesn't necessarily guarantee all that stuff. You look at something like Alan Wake; it was in development for 5-6 years but wasn't stuffed with huge amounts of side stuff. There's a lot of different factors in game development.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #43
Havok83
Side-Kick

I havent played Alan Wake so I comment on it. Its a new IP with nothing from the past to reference or expand upon. Its not quite the same. Its not a long established franchise with standard features and expectations which appear in most of the games. Ive only played the FF games since the PS2 and they were all comparable in length and content. most have been playing alot longer than I have and have certain expectations when they do play a new title

Old 05-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #44
Tron Bonne

Well, that's kind of irrelevant to the point. Established franchise or brand new IP, development time is not always synonymous with those kinds of features. There's a variety of different issues in game development

Quote:
Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #45
Superhero 101
DESI

i really hope Microsoft doesn't get versus XIII but knowing how Microsoft always steals an exclusive i will not be surprised.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #46
Brainiac 8
Clark Smash!

Isn't it better to have it multiplatform so more people can enjoy the game?

It always seems like such a silly argument to me.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #47
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 8 View Post
Isn't it better to have it multiplatform so more people can enjoy the game?

It always seems like such a silly argument to me.
I dont think people care so much that its multiplatform as much as that making it so will affect the quality and content of the game. People want the best game possible, not one thats scaled back in order to accomodate multiple systems. The best looking PS3 games tend to be the ones that are exclusive, bc they are specifically built and developed to take advantage of its hardware and this usually allows developers to do things that they cant with multiplatform games bc they go in with a mindset of keeping things on the same level in order to simplify things for themselves

Last edited by Havok83; 05-19-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #48
Havok83
Side-Kick

New Info!

Quote:
New Final Fantasy Versus XIII Info Coming at TGS
I believe there were some reports during E3 of The Last Guardian making an appearance at this year's Tokyo Game Show. Well it won't be carrying the PS3 all by itself! Famitsu has an article on Final Fantasy Versus XIII this week, complete with new screenshots (finally!) and a Tetsuya Nomura interview! It looks like Nomura confirms some announcements for the game at TGS!
Quote:
A few extra Versus XIII Details
Game Jouhou has updated with a few additional Versus XIII details from either Famitsu or Dengeki.
Apparently, the included screens show a massive wilderness scene. Also included is a battle scene that's set in a city modeled after Shinjuku, and a scene showing a gasoline stand.
Says Nomura about the game's world, "If you try to go all the way to the end, it's truly far."
Also from the Nomura interview:
  • The game's cloud effects use real physics calculations
  • The world is an open field, and you can go everywhere except for the mountains
  • The battles are seamless
  • The game's encounter system is both random and symbol-based (meaning you can see enemies in advance). Hmm... what could this mean?
  • The game's world is mostly seamless, although there are some load points when you switch between the massive areas.
  • You can destroy objects that you find on the road.
  • The quality of the combat scenes is so high that people will not be able to believe it when they first see it.
  • The staff is excited about making the game.
Nomura also confirms that the screens in the magazine are all realtime, captured off the PlayStation 3. Of course, this won't mean much until we can actually see the screens...
Quote:
More Versus, Agito, and 3rd Birthday Updates
This update comes from FF Reunion. The Square Enix fan site reports the following bits, presumably based off various flying get sources from Famitsu and Dengeki, both of which seem to have some major Square Enix media this week:
  • The Versus screenshots show a fight with a weaponized Behemoth in a city.
  • Square Enix will be showing an unannounced title at TGS. Given the context, I think this means a Nomura game.
  • Nomura says that the Versus visual quality will improve even beyond what's shown in the new screenshots.
  • Agito's development is progressing well. You'll be able to move about on the world map via Chocobo and air ship.
  • The 3rd Birthday will be of such quality that you won't think it's a PSP game. This applies to the graphics and volume.
  • Nomura apparently says The 3rd Birthday will be the ultimate PSP title... until Agito comes out.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/23/flying_get/

Old 06-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #49
Fading

Open world map up to the mountains.... That coupled with the airship talk from earlier takes this up to a 10 on my must have meter lol. The cloud particle talk, destructible elements on the road, and recent screen shots have me believing this is going to be one beautiful more current gen level game than XIII was.

Now that I've had time to let XIII fully sinc in, I still stand by my saying it's one of my top FF's (Behind 6, 7, and 8, and pretty much around 9 to me if not just a bit ahead of it). Now all the usual complaints aside, I want to bring up a new one...replayability. Recently I tried to start up a second run thru of the game, and I just couldn't do it. It was great for my first run thru, however this is the first FF I've played that I just didn't care to play thru again. The beginning of RPG's are amongst my favorite parts of the genre, especially when you're playing thru armed with knowledge on how to build your character. However when I loaded up a new game, part of me wondered if it wouldn't be better to just level up my old character.

Now I'm not saying I'll never play FFXIII again, but on my first run thru I never imagined the linearity would effect me that much considering how much I liked XIII the first time around. The reason I bring this up is that it sounds like VS is much, much more open ended. If it retains that XIII epic level feeling, and then one ups it with replayability, and pretty much everything else, then this game is truely going to be one epic FF.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #50
shinra_27
Side-Kick

@ FadingCB your right XIII does not have great replay value. SO far it is also the only FF game I haven't wanted to replay. I will admit I am a whore for Square Enix and I have played all of the FF games. Maybe in a few years...

shinra_27 is offline   Reply With Quote