The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #176
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Square Enix President Yoichi Wada Steps Down. March 26, 2013 . 8:00am

Taking over his position is current representative director Yosuke Matsuda who will now also serve as president.

source: Siliconera

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #177
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_McClark View Post
I have nothing against turn-based games. FFVII was enjoyable. But I'm really ready for the Kingdom Hearts/Dissidia Final Fantasy game. Ever since Advent Children came out, I really wanted to play something like that.
Totally with you on this. After I've watched Advent Children and played Dissidia, I wanted a Console Final Fantasy game with the exact gameplay. We watched all the crazy combat during the cutscenes, I want to fight like that during the actual game.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #178
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post

Taking over his position is current representative director Yosuke Matsuda who will now also serve as president.

About ****ing time.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #179
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post

Oh this is the best news in years!!! One of the best games released in years (Bioshock Infinite) and now this?! Good day indeed. Him being there was the beginning of the downfall. He joined right as FFX was finishing up, and all his projects since (mainly with FF) have been bleh. Wow. This really really really really excites me. Means maybe Square knows it needs to get it's act together.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #180
Happy Jack
Onion Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
First off, it hasn't been in production that long. Second, it's not really a matter of "getting their act together". It's not as if everyone at Square is lounging around and saying, "Maybe we should work on Versus some more.... NAH!!". They have basically everyone at the company fixing XIV, and everyone who isn't doing that is pumping out XIII sequels. It sucks that Versus has been put on the backburner for so long, but that's just the reality of the situation they created for themselves by putting out two major duds in a row.
That's the heart of the matter. It is a matter of them improving as a company because the poor games they've been releasing have brought them down in addition to Versus XIII being seemingly forgotten about. If those games had been handled better and with that the proper time allotted to the development of Versus XIII the game might've been released by now. But with the way things are going it's now looking more likely that the game is being cannibalized into XV. It's about finishing what you started.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Happy Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #181
Fading
>:(

That sounds about right. FF has stopped being one of those special games fans wait an entire generation for. The quality of FF titles has dropped dramatically, while other games have improved dramatically. FF may still sell 5 mil a title, but it's not winning over new fans from bad word of mouth, and average reviews.

My guess, Vs XIII was shaping up to be a good title, but Square probably starting mucking it up. The huge world, combat, free roaming, ect, probably was clashing with what they wanted in the FFXIII series. Then when FFXIII, XIII-2, and XIV got average to bad reviews, and word of mouth, they saw Vs XIII as a game they needed to be good. So they are (hopefully) removing things fans have complained about in the other titles this gen (linear levels, story, ect), and upgrading the graphics to start out nextgen with Vs XIII to get back on track.

Now if Capcom could straighten itself out with some of it's series. Having a GOOD FF, and Capcom put out a new GOOD Breath of Fire, or Mega Man game would make me a happy gamer.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #182
zenith16
Side-Kick

just saw this now
Final Fantasy Versus XIII News Might Not Be Too Far Off. April 16, 2013 . 11:40pm

In a recent web radio show hosted by Square Enix, Tetsuya Nomura appeared as a guest, where he briefly answered a question regarding Final Fantasy Versus XIII

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #183
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Versus XIII has been taken down for preorder on Amazon, which is very interesting because if they took it down it's most likely because Squenix requested it. Even more interesting, Agnis' Philosophy has been listed on Amazon as available for preorder on the PS4. Veeeery interesting.

If it's a name change, I'm cool with it. If it's a different game that's just using mechanics they started working on in Versus, then I will be very disappoint.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #184
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Release Date: Never

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #185
Havok83
Side-Kick

FF VS XIII no longer exists, but FF XV most likely does....

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #186
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah that's what is most likely at this point.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Old 06-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #187
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I'll be happy when this game comes out, but at the same time be bitter towards it since it is this game that has mostly kept Kingdom Hearts 3 from being developed.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #188
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

It is the reason.

Quote:
Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #189
Soapy
It's happening again...

Haven't there been like ten of those?

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #190
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

For the handheld, yes. The majority of the team that works on the main installment's have been working on Versus apparently.

Quote:
Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #191
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

And I don't have handhelds!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #192
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Haven't there been like ten of those?
spinoffs and side projects. The main series has stalled with 2

Old 06-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #193
Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
FF VS XIII no longer exists, but FF XV most likely does....
That's entirely possible. It could be a situation like with The Last Guardian where they stopped mid development to start turning it into a PS4 title (at least that's my guess with what happened to it, given that TLG teasers started appearing after the PS4 reveal). You're probably right, but I do have 2 nagging problems with this.

1) Square likes a FF to be a visual show off, especially the first on a new system. Having a higher resolution PS3 game wouldn't be in Square's usual style. They would have to re render, and do all the visuals from scratch, as well as add in new features taking advantage of the new hardware. At that point it would almost be just as easy to start a new game, and they would lose a lot of money spent on Vs XIII's current build.

2) FF vs XIII is set up to be part of the XIII universe. Even if it's an alternate world, it has a similar premise. It's basically a sister title to XIII. That would mean that particular XIII setting and feel would abruptly end on PS3, and carry on in another generation.

At this point I'm equally convinced that they just dropped it as I am that they are up converting it into a next gen title, or that it will still be a PS3 title. They've put too much money and time in to drop it, but it would take a lot more to tweak it to a degree that would change it from a PS3 to PS4 title of Square's caliber. You can say what you want about Square's ability to make FF a good game overall anymore, but their games are always visual, and technical feasts.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #194
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
That's entirely possible. It could be a situation like with The Last Guardian where they stopped mid development to start turning it into a PS4 title (at least that's my guess with what happened to it, given that TLG teasers started appearing after the PS4 reveal). You're probably right, but I do have 2 nagging problems with this.

1) Square likes a FF to be a visual show off, especially the first on a new system. Having a higher resolution PS3 game wouldn't be in Square's usual style. They would have to re render, and do all the visuals from scratch, as well as add in new features taking advantage of the new hardware. At that point it would almost be just as easy to start a new game, and they would lose a lot of money spent on Vs XIII's current build.

2) FF vs XIII is set up to be part of the XIII universe. Even if it's an alternate world, it has a similar premise. It's basically a sister title to XIII. That would mean that particular XIII setting and feel would abruptly end on PS3, and carry on in another generation.

At this point I'm equally convinced that they just dropped it as I am that they are up converting it into a next gen title, or that it will still be a PS3 title. They've put too much money and time in to drop it, but it would take a lot more to tweak it to a degree that would change it from a PS3 to PS4 title of Square's caliber. You can say what you want about Square's ability to make FF a good game overall anymore, but their games are always visual, and technical feasts.
You do realize that FF XIII was originally a PS2 title right? SE changing development of a FF game to push it into the next gen isnt overheard of with them as they've done it before and I think would have no problem doing again. We havent seen or heard much about the game in a while. Development may have switched to the PS4 a long time ago for all we know. Besides theres also a strong chance that it will be a multiplatform title, seeing a PS3 AND PS4 release.

I defiently think it got a name change though as i think vs XIII is done as a title. XV seems more likely. I dont think it needs to have XIII in the title to tie it to the same universe and besides they may very well want to be moving away from XIII and not stress that connection

Last edited by Havok83; 06-04-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #195
Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
You do realize that FF XIII was originally a PS2 title right?

Actually I didn't, lol. Either way, in the long run, I think by not following through and releasing it earlier, Square just created a bigger headache for themselves in the long run.

With the sales problems they've had (FFXIV, and their views on their own titles sales like their disappointment with TR), I'm sure they are timid about another FF being a a let down. I can understand being cautious, but it's to a point where it's making people who wanted the game to just lose interest.

A fresh start with a new story, and improvements from lessons learned this gen would be preferable to me personally. Something built from the ground up with the PS4 in mind. Rather than porting something made for this gen. Though at this point, my hopes for seeing vs XIII come out for the current gen is at The Last Guardian levels.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #196
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Possible FF XV confirmation:

Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #197
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Kingdom Hearts!?!?!?!?

Don't toy with my heart Square!

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #198
Soapy
It's happening again...

Hope it's true. Could very easily be fake though.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #199
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Officially Final Fantasy XV, and it looks amazing.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #200
Havok83
Side-Kick

Called it! Guessing the title of this thread should be changed now