The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 11-11-2014, 02:51 AM   #1
tnekkralc
Side-Kick

Default Arkhamverse the definitive Batman?

What are your thoughts?

For me I think the Arkham games have taken the best of everything that has come before it. The grittiness of Nolan, the gothic flair of Burton, the fantastical element of the classic comics (and dare I say it Schumacher lol), the aggression of Miller, the darkness of Bruce Timm etc...

I really think they've nailed it with Arkhamverse, would love to see them do an 3D animated film in the style of the trailers!

tnekkralc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
the5timechamp
Side-Kick

Default Re: Arkhamverse the definitive Batman?

I wish I could agree.. but batman comes off as slighty too "gritty/hard edged" for my liking...

Its as if the overly obsessive batman from the new batman adventures tooks over.. I didnt particularly enjoy that version of the character... Batman can be fun, its not all grit.

the5timechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Authority2U

I agree that it is a bit too gritty. Batman is just not very human in the games. I guess it's because we don't spend much time with Bruce Wayne or the way he interacts with Alfred, Oracle, etc., he just comes off as very cold. Yes, Batman is dark and gritty, but under that is a human being who loves Alfred, who loves Robin, etc. It just doesn't come across, it's almost like he uses Alfred as just a utility.

I don't remember exactly how it was in Arkham Asylum or Arkham City, but I'm actually replaying Arkham Origins as we speak, and Batman is a complete jerk. He basically ignores half the things that Alfred says. And then, for example, The Shocker guy, he interrogates him and then beats him up afterwards anyway. Now I know that Origins might not be the one you were talking about, since it's made by another studio, but I feel like that's how Batman is in the entire Arkham universe.

Don't get me wrong, the games are amazing, but they're really depressing. There are no uplifting moments. There are no happy moments really.

Authority2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Spoonman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authority2U View Post
I agree that it is a bit too gritty. Batman is just not very human in the games. I guess it's because we don't spend much time with Bruce Wayne or the way he interacts with Alfred, Oracle, etc., he just comes off as very cold. Yes, Batman is dark and gritty, but under that is a human being who loves Alfred, who loves Robin, etc. It just doesn't come across, it's almost like he uses Alfred as just a utility.

I don't remember exactly how it was in Arkham Asylum or Arkham City, but I'm actually replaying Arkham Origins as we speak, and Batman is a complete jerk. He basically ignores half the things that Alfred says. And then, for example, The Shocker guy, he interrogates him and then beats him up afterwards anyway. Now I know that Origins might not be the one you were talking about, since it's made by another studio, but I feel like that's how Batman is in the entire Arkham universe.

Don't get me wrong, the games are amazing, but they're really depressing. There are no uplifting moments. There are no happy moments really.
This was deliberate, as the game is supposedly showing Batman during his second year of vigilantism...as years go by and so do his experiences, he grows to be the Batman you saw in both Asylum and City.

Also, is worth noting that even if Origins was done by a different Studio, RockSteady (creators of Asylum and City) accept Origins as canon, so is definitely the same Batman, just younger and very rough on the edges (remember the Scene in the game were he accidentally overdoes choking one thug until he passes out?).

Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I'll be the first to agree with OP.

Arkham games are the definitive Batman, definitive Joker, definitive villains, definitive Gotham. They do everything right. New, fresh, but perfectly adapted from the source material.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I'll be the first to agree with OP.

Arkham games are the definitive Batman, definitive Joker, definitive villains, definitive Gotham. They do everything right. New, fresh, but perfectly adapted from the source material.
Definitive Batman, maybe. Definitive Joker almost. Could be. But i dont remember every single detail. Definitive villains outside of Joker though? Not even close. Bane, Talia, Two-Face, Hugo Strange etc are all horrible in my opinion.

Gotham is fantastic.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

LOL, never.

Eddie Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

No. Some characterizations they did really well (Batman, Alfred, Gordon, Bane, Barbara in Arkham Origins. Mr. Freeze in Arkham City and the Arkham Origins DLC. Penguin in Arkham City and Origins. Joker in all three games. Scarecrow, Ivy and Harley in Arkham Asylum), but some were done mediocre or bad like Bane in Asylum and City, Two Face, Hugo Strange, Riddler being like Jigsaw in City etc.

But overall they're awesome games but not the definitive Batman. That's BTAS.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 11-15-2014 at 10:37 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #9
shauner111
Side-Kick

Freeze was fantastic. Bane was done really well in Origins, hated him in Asylum/City. Riddler sucked. Strange was the same. Penguin was great. Talia looked like a different character, completely threw me off even though she sounded good.

Batman was cool as hell and incredibly badass. But very one-dimensional.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #10
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

I don't know if I would call it definitive but it hits all the right notes for me. It is very grim though, and I can understand why some would find them too dark.

Haven't played them all however. Been through Asylum a few times, and started Arkham City today as a matter of fact.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #11
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

After watching Rocksteady play Arkham Asylum I went and played the game. I haven't done so for while....

As for being definitive, it is pretty close but I don't like what hey did with Two-Face in AC only for Catwoman beating the crap out of Dent in the Museum I wished he was real threat to Batman I guess AK will be more accurate this time with Two-Face. definitive would be Batman: The Animated Series man I love that show.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

They're great games, and the best Batman has had so far. But I agree with what The Joker said above.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

The definitive Batman could only be found in the comic books.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
the last son
Side-Kick

It was until he carries Joker like some prized king. That was one of the lowest moments in Batman history for me.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Yeah, unless he had thrown Joker's body in a dumpster ala Morrison's Batman story:

But ideally he should have carried Talia out not Joker.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #16
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

The Arkhamverse are amazing visuallywise. You feel like you are playing batman. The artistic direction is incredible.

But apart from Origins, none of the game have good character development, and Batman himself is really one note.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #17
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Yeah, unless he had thrown Joker's body in a dumpster ala Morrison's Batman story:

But ideally he should have carried Talia out not Joker.
That...That would've been so much better.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #18
the last son
Side-Kick

That image was perfect. That's how you treat the joker.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #19
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
some were done mediocre or bad like Bane in Asylum and City, Two Face, Hugo Strange, Riddler being like Jigsaw in City etc.
I only agree with Two-Face, Bane and Strange.

I like the way Riddler was used (efficiently and interestingly, without forcing him to be some sort of a physical threat/boss)

I'm hoping they fix Two-Face in the next installment.

Bane and Strange... definitely couldve been improved upon. They both got a solid chunk of time to develop.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:50 AM   #20
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Not exactly, it does a good job representing most characters, and the city, but it's hard to call the series the DEFINITIVE version.
Hugo Strange is actually done pretty well, Ra's AlGhul considering him a successor to replace Batman is new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
The definitive Batman could only be found in the comic books.
Steve Englehart's name come to mind when I think of the definitive version of the character of Batman.

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #21
Talkie

SMH at the Joker dieing... I know Hamil was out and they had to write him out of the story, but really killing Joker just reduces the weight if the arkham universe

Talkie is offline   Reply With Quote