The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 11-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #351
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Danny Elfman Appreciation Thread

Have you heard "Restless" yet? If so, what did you think of it?

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #352
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

It's a nice, light score. It has a lovely little piano theme that is the only really sad music in the score, there's a melodramatic cue for a fake death scene though.

The film itself is very upbeat despite it's subject matter so the score fits. It's like Silver Linings Playbook with a bit of Milk.

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #353
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

I saw Restless a few weeks ago. Though I was skeptical about it b/c of it's negative feedback from critics. I still managed to enjoy it. It's unique from Van Sant's repertoire, for lack of a better word. And I liked what I heard of Elfman's score in the film. I always take pleasure in how intimate his scores tend to be when he tackles dramas like Big Fish, Milk, Taking Woodstock, The Next Three Days, Silver Linings Playbook, etc. Hopefully next month I can finally purchase "Restless" and "Black Beauty" b/c I was unable to this month.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #354
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Looks like Madison Gate Records will release a soundtrack album for "American Hustle" on Dec. 6th. It features 14 songs and one track by Elfman ("Irving Montage"). It doesn't say anything about a score release. It'll probably be another SLP situation, where the score album will be released digitally if at all. With that said I'm still curious of what Elfman came up with for this film.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/11...track-details/

Old 12-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #355
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Congrats to Danny Elfman's Annie Award Nomination for "Epic".

Quote:
The International Animated Film Society, ASIFA-Hollywood has announced the nominations for the 41st Annual Annie Awards. Here are the music-related nominees:

Music in an Animated Feature Production

Alan Silvestri – The Croods – 
DreamWorks Animation
Henry Jackman – Turbo
 – DreamWorks Animation
Mark Mothersbaugh – Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2
 – Sony Pictures Animation
Heitor Pereira, Pharrell Williams – Despicable Me 2
 – Universal Pictures
Danny Elfman – Epic – Blue Sky Studios
Randy Newman – Monsters University
 – Pixar Animation Studios
Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez, Christophe Beck – Frozen
 – Walt Disney Animation Studios
Dominic Lewis – Free Birds – 
Reel FX
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/12...s-announced-2/

Old 12-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #356
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Even though the movie's coming out in March, it seems that there's already news about the "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" soundtrack release. According to Film Music Reporter, Relativity Music Group will be releasing it.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/12...an-soundtrack/

EDIT: Relativity Music Group also released (digitally) Elfman's "Promised Land" last year. So that could mean "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" could be another digital release for Elfman. Unless Sony releases an import CD of the score as they did for "Promised Land".

Last edited by Elevator Man; 12-27-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #357
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

The UK Amazon has a CD listed so you can import one if that is the case.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #358
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Looks like Elfman's scoring the highly anticipated adaptation of the popular best seller "Fifty Shades of Grey". This news came WAY out of left field. I've never read the book, but I heard people describe it as S&M type of film. So I don't know about the film itself, but it'll be interesting to hear what Elfman comes up with for this. The movie will come out around Valentines Day next year.

Also "The Unknown Known", which Elfman also scored has got a release date (April 2, 2014). Hopefully a soundtrack album will be announced soon.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/01...hades-of-grey/

Old 01-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #359
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

There's a new trailer up for The Unknown Known and it sounds terrific, like SOP but on a massive scale.

I'm actually kind of excited for Fifty Shades, the score not the movie. Elfman's never done erotica before, I'm very partial to Goldsmith's Basic Instinct and Doyle's Killing Me Softly.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #360
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Last night I finally got around to listening to the LLLR expanded re-issue of Elfman’s pastoral Black Beauty. I never owned the 1994 OST b/c it was already long out of print, when I sought for it after seeing the movie (nearly a decade ago). However, I did own Elfman’s compilation album(“Music For A Darkened Theater Film & Television Music Vol.2“) that featured a little over 16 minutes of cues from the 1994 OST. I remember enjoying it very much at the time (and still do). It was a side of Elfman that I haven’t really heard often. It had a very Celtic tone with the use of fiddles and pennywhistles. This score makes a good companion piece to Elfman’s “Sommersby”, which was also somewhat idyllic. The expanded album was a real treat to hear in all it‘s glory. I couldn’t think of a dull moment. It’s well paced for a 78 1/2 minute album. I’m not going to name any highlights b/c each track felt important, imo. Picking highlights wouldn’t do it justice for me.

While listening to the score I could hear a composer evolving and maturing, who’s stepping out of his comfort zone with ease. “Black Beauty” along with “Sommersby” and “Dolores Claiborne” are examples of Elfman reaching a breaking point in his career. This type of music proved that Elfman knew how to score more than just quirky comedies, gothic fantasies, Tim Burton movies, and comic book superhero adventures. He handles the material with more than stellar results. I also believe the score elevates the narrative better than Alan Cummings voice over narration for the title character herself. I am not slamming Cumming’s performance. He did fine. I just believe the score expertly carried the story perfectly that a narrator wasn’t really necessary, but I know that it would be against the book "Black Beauty" was based on. According to the liner notes, the novel revolves around "Beauty's" perspective and narration which played an integral part of the novel, but was ignored in previous adaptations except this one.

The main theme is very tender, lush, and at times uplifting and lyrical. The secondary theme which is called the "love theme" is a little more bittersweet and slightly dispirited in certain moments of the score. Though it has it share of mellow moments like in the end credits, for example . Both themes bring sympathy and heart to the movie/score/story, but not to the point to where it becomes sappy. There’s plenty of moments where the score tugs the heartstrings i.e. “Sick”, “Poor Ginger”, “Hard Times/Epilogue”. Elfman’s score overall superbly explores the journey of a horse from birth to adulthood.

If anyone’s expecting a dark and gothic Elfman score you’ll be disappointed. Black Beauty has little moments (“The Rescue”, “The Fire”, the unused latter half of “Ginger Snaps”, and “Wild Ride”) that would require grim music, which comes off more urgent, serious, and suspenseful than the creepy and murky style we’d expect from Elfman. Also to those that are skeptical of this score, good luck finding any “La La La “ children choir vocals that’s often associated with Elfman’s more gothic fantasy driven scores b/c you won‘t.

I’m glad Elfman had the opportunity to score a movie of this scale. If another composer was hired instead of Elfman it would be impossible for me to imagine anybody else surpassing what he came up with for “Black Beauty“. The score and film go together like bread and butter. If you adore Elfman‘s more gentle scores i.e. “Edward Scissorhands” “Sommersby“, “Big Fish”, “Charlotte’s Web (2006)” then I think you’ll enjoy “Black Beauty” as well. I also recommend it to all Elfman fans (who have yet heard it), fans of the early Elfman, and his detractors that believe he hasn’t any range what so ever (b/c they'll be in for a treat). Sadly this score is another example of Elfman being robbed of an Oscar nomination, imho.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #361
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Just got done listening to Elfman’s Restless score and wanted to give my first impressions on it real quick. This is a very unconventional and poignant score, which is in the vein of his approaches of his previous scores to Van Sant movies. It isn’t heavily melodic or thematic. Though he does recur two or three motifs, but I’m not certain if it’s three motifs b/c I’ve so far heard the album once. The score mostly reflects the eccentricity of Enoch (the main character) and the romance between him and Annabel. It isn’t a morbid or melancholic score like one would expect from Elfman or a film about an oddball outcast who crashes funerals and falls in love with a dying young woman. Elfman wrote a more quirky, intimate, amiable and playful score which explores the many antics the two lovebirds undergo. Elfman experiments with marimbas, acoustic/Spanish/electric guitars, xylophones, etc with a small orchestra for this one. It works with the “artsy farts-y” feel of the movie. This is the kind of score I’d expect from Thomas Newman, but Elfman takes his approach and makes it his own. I’m not saying Elfman ripped off Newman in anyway. Make no mistake this is very much an Elfman score. It has some of the quirky tone of certain cues from “Milk” as well as scores to previous Van Sant movies by Elfman. The acoustic and electric guitar riffs is very reminiscent of Elfman’s “Taking Woodstock” (which was mostly a guitar driven score) and some of the offbeat romantic tone of “Silver Linings Playbook”. Tracks that stood out for me were “Titles”, “Battleship”, “Sorry For Your Loss”, “Waterbirds”, “Meet The Parents”, “On The Beach”, “Death Scene”, “Battleship 2”, “A Ghost” (love the use of the accordion, I believe in this track), “The Letter”, “Parents’ Grave”, “Weepy Donuts”, and “Enoch’s Goodbye”. My only complaint is (and this is not Elfman’s fault b/c he’s writing music to edited scenes and images) is some tracks are too short and sort of end abruptly. I would’ve love to hear some tracks evolve on the album b/c I feel the music(in certain tracks) is just getting warmed up right when it ends. That’s a minor quibble and nitpick for me, but might be major problem for some. Though the album is short (34 in a half minutes) by the end it has me wanting to hear more of this score and side of Elfman,. If you’re a fan of Elfman’s scores to Van Sant movies, “Taking Woodstock”, and “Silver Linings Playbook” then I think you’ll enjoy this score as well. So grateful LLLR released this.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #362
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Details are up on the "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" soundtrack including cover art and track listing. It has 23 tracks (mostly Elfman's score) including two songs ("Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" - John Lennon and "Way Back When" - Grizfolk) It'll be released on March 4th and is also available for pre-order on Amazon.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/02...ls/#more-22753

Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #363
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Congrats to Elfman on his IFMCA nomination for Epic. It's the only nomination he received from this association this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFMCA

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR AN ANIMATED FEATURE

The Croods, music by Alan Silvestri
Epic, music by Danny Elfman
Frozen, music by Christophe Beck
Planes, music by Mark Mancina
The Wind Rises [Kaze Tachinu], music by Joe Hisaishi
Frozen will probably win. And I'm surprised Oz didn't get a nomination. I thought for sure it would but then again they combined the fantasy, sci-fi, and horror nominations into one category. I wasn't expecting Epic to even get a nomination, but I'm glad it did anyway. It's an underrated score from 2013, imo.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #364
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Danny Elfman's Music From the Films of Tim Burton will return to the Royal Albert Hall in December. Tickets are now on sale.

http://www.royalalberthall.com/ticke...n/default.aspx

Old 02-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #365
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

With today being Valentine's Day, I listened to Elfman's "Sommersby" (from the "Music For A Darkened Theatre Vol.2" compilation) "Restless" and "Silver Linings Playbook".

Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #366
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

More locations and dates of the concert this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmanburton
DANNY ELFMAN’S MUSIC FROM THE FILMS OF TIM BURTON will be performed in the following cities:

Kaohsiung, Taiwan (March 1 & 2)
Lucerne, Switzerland (March 21)
Prague, Czech Republic (March 25)- Danny Elfman, guest performance
Mexico City, Mexico (April 8 & 9)- Danny Elfman, guest performance
Monterrey, Mexico (April 13)
Seattle, Washington (June 27 & 28)
San Diego, California (July 25)
London, England (December 12)- Danny Elfman, guest performance

More cities and dates to be added

For more information: http://www.cami.com/?webid=2342

Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #367
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

An alternate album cover of Mr. Peabody & Sherman soundtrack was posted on Amazon. Maybe they have two different covers for the American release and one for the international release. It's not a various artist CD b/c Elfman's name is used on both covers. The cover art is humongous to post on here so here's the link if you want to see what it looks like.

http://www.amazon.com/Peabody-Sherma...dy+and+Sherman

Old 02-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #368
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

I watched Mr Peabody earlier this week. Really fun movie. It's not a major Elfman score by any means but there should be a solid 40 minute album in there. There's a theme for Mr Peabody which tends to play the wilder, action material and a theme for Sherman which plays their bond and his relationship with Penny. The score is omnipresent and there's a lot of 'Mickey Mousing'. Elfman's cue for the Dreamworks logo is really awesome.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #369
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Cool! Thanks for the feedback on the score. I won't be rushing to see it in the theater. It'll probably be a rental or cable.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #370
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

MusicBoxRecords have announced, in their own way, that Good Will Hunting is in their next set of releases.

https://www.facebook.com/MusicBoxRec

"Our American title will feature the music for an intimate drama about the hardships of facing your own true self and realizing your full potential. The work of two upcoming screenwriters, this film took the awards circuit by surprise and we're really proud to premiere the complete score, including five songs also featured on the soundtrack."

Old 02-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #371
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

^Exciting news. Can't wait to see the cover art and track listing.

Some more Elfman news...

Danny Elfman to Attend 'Alice In Wonderland' World Premiere Live to Projection Concert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Film Music Reporter
The 21st Century Symphony Orchestra has announced that Danny Elfman will be attending a series of concerts this March at the KKL Luzern Concert Hall in Lucerne, Switzerland. On March 21, 2014, the concert Danny Elfman’s Music from the Films of Tim Burton will make its premiere in Switzerland. The event, which features the composer’s music for the director’s films such as Batman, Nightmare Before Christmas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Beetlejuice, Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish world premiered last year at London’s Royal Albert Hall and will also be performed in other cities this spring and summer, including Prague, Mexico City, Seattle and San Diego. On March 22 & 23, the KKL will host the world premiere performance of Elfman‘s original score for Burton’s Alice in Wonderland performed live to projection. Both concerts will be performed by the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra and the 21st Century Chorus under the baton of Ludwig Wicki. They are joined at the Alice in Wonderland event by the Boys Choir Lucerne. Tickets for all concerts are available on KKL’s website.
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/02...ction-concert/

Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #372
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Box Records
GOOD WILL HUNTING (Expanded)
Composed by Danny Elfman
Including the songs written by Elliott Smith

Limited Collector's Edition of 1500 copies.
45 minutes of music, including the complete score by Danny Elfman and the songs written by Elliott Smith used in the film.
12-page CD booklet with liner notes by Daniel Schweiger.

Ref: MBR-043
RELEASE DATE: March 3, 2014

Music Box Records presents the complete score for Good Will Hunting (1997) by Danny Elfman. Directed by Gus Van Sant based on a screenplay by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, the film tells the tale of the troubled title character (Damon) who is a janitor at MIT and is secretly a real mathematical genius. Reluctant to leave his regular life and job behind, Will needs help from psychologist Sean Maguire (Robin Williams) who shows him the way of realizing his full potential without abandoning his roots…The film won two Oscars (one for Williams and one for the writers) while it was nominated for another seven statuettes, including one for composer Danny Elfman and one for songwriter Elliott Smith.

Danny Elfman is of course best known for his Tim Burton movies (ranging from the director’s two Batman films to more recent affairs like Alice in Wonderland), but the composer has numerous other directors with whom he works regularly. Good Will Hunting marked the second collaboration between Elfman and Gus Van Sant (the first one being the director’s bitingly satirical To Die For, 1995); the relationship later extended to other films like Psycho (1998), Milk (2008), Restless (2011) and Promised Land (2012). Their collaboration on Good Will Hunting proved to be the most elusive of the bunch even though it brought Elfman the first Oscar nomination in his career.

The music for Good Will Hunting is a far cry from the usual Gothic sound of the composer who proves himself to be more than capable when it comes to scoring a deeply personal story. The music features acoustic guitar, piano, a smaller ensemble of strings and woodwinds plus a light choral effect in addition to some Irish sounding whistles that address the Boston setting of the story. From the Main Title to the End Titles (previously known as "Weepy Donuts"), Elfman’s music is mingling among minimalistic thematic variations the same way the titular Will Hunting is looking for a purpose in life…

Spicing up the intimate orchestral score are the contributions of indie songwriter Elliott Smith, whose Miss Misery was nominated for an Academy Award in the category of Best Original Song. The song gave major exposure to Smith who unfortunately passed away at the tragically young age of 34 in 2003.

Good Will Hunting has always been one of the great missing links in Elfman’s discography. The original soundtrack clearly favored the songs by Elliott Smith (and other artists) while Elfman’s work was represented with only two tracks. Although Miramax issued a rare Academy promo for members of the organization, that disc only contained selected highlights and Smith’s Oscar-nominated Miss Misery. Music Box Records presents the complete release of the score, including more Elfman music as what the promo contained, plus six compositions performed by Elliott Smith. The landmark release of this Oscar-nominated gem is supplemented with a 12-page booklet featuring expert commentary by Daniel Schweiger.

TRACKLISTING:

1. Main Title (02:44)
2. Genie Mopper (00:37)
3. First Calculation (01:08)
4. Theorem (00:42)
5. Kick Ass Choir (00:59)
6. Mystery Math (02:28)
7. Them Apples (not used in film) (00:57)
8. Jail (01:13)
9. Second Shrink (01:14)
10. Any Port (01:25)
11. Times Up (01:14)
12. Oliver Twist (01:58)
13. Staring Contest (00:49)
14. Secret Weapon (00:57)
15. Retainer (Part A) (00:58)
16. Retainer (Part B) (00:20)
17. Tell You Something (00:48)
18. No Love Me (00:47)
19. Fire Music (01:11)
20. Whose Fault (02:34)
21. End Titles (03:50)
22. Between the Bars (Orchestral) (01:09)
Performed by Elliott Smith – Orchestral arrangement by Danny Elfman
23. No Name #3 (03:04)
Performed by Elliott Smith
24. Say Yes (02:15)
25. Between the Bars (02:21)
26. Angeles (02:55)
27. Miss Misery (03:12)

Total Time • 44:53

For sound clips, please visit:
http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-catalog/60-good-will-hunting.html
That was fast. Can't wait. Definitely going to have to jump on this with it being 1500 units. Speaking of Van Sant/Elfman projects. I got "Promised Land" in the mail yesterday. Plan on listening to it today if possible.

Last edited by Elevator Man; 02-19-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #373
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Ordered, samples sound great.

I'm hoping Elfman is scoring Van Sant's upcoming Sea of Trees. Sounds like there could be a great score in there but it also sounds like something Van Sant might tackle in his more arthouse mode which tends to exclude Elfman. I guess we'll see.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #374
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

I always look forward to an Elfman/Van Sant project. So I hope Elfman scores his next movie as well. Van Sant brings out a unique side of Elfman that we don't often see or hear when he's collaborating with Burton or Raimi.

Also I just realized the GWH score comes out the day before Mr.P&S soundtrack. Looks like we're getting plenty of Elfman in March.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #375
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

I just listened to Elfman’s ambient score to Gus Van Sant’s “Promised Land”. It’s a restrained score that isn’t heavily thematic. Though I believe there are one or two motifs that recur. Elfman goes the unconventional approach like he does in most Van Sant movies he composes music for, but the score doesn’t have any off beat moments as “To Die For”, “Milk”, and “Restless” do. The only tracks that are close to being off beat are “Classroom” and “Classroom (Alt. Version)” with it's playful tone. It does have some in common with Milk and Restless during the more soothing moments in the score though. Promised Land isn’t very cheerful, but it isn’t very bleak either. It’s for the most part a solemn score, which highlights the film’s controversial subject about a real estate salesman bribing to pay money to residents of a small town if they sell their land so his employers could build an oil plant in place of it. I enjoyed this score for the most part. Each track brings something to the score, imo. It might be a challenging listen for some b/c it isn’t very melodic, but more textural. And the album might seem too short for some. I thought it was paced fine for a 39 minute album. The “Snake Eyes” song by the Milk Carton Kids at the end of the album blends well with the overall score as well as in the film. I also want to mention Elfman sparingly using a boys choir for this score. He only used ‘em in two tracks “Traveling’ and “The Speech”. It’s not used in the usual Elfman fashion (“gothic”, “tragic“, ‘whimsical”, and “haunting“), but just for dramatic effect, where it doesn’t come off cliche, imo. It expertly reflects Matt Damon’s moment of truth in “The Speech” as well as in the film itself. I like that this score doesn’t feel very typical of what Elfman’s done for Van Sant though it shares certain traits as some of his scores to those films. If that makes any sense. Promised Land won’t be for everyone, but if you like Elfman’s approach to “Good Will Hunting“, “Milk”, “The Next Three Days” and even “Restless” you might enjoy this one as well.

I thought the film was pretty good also. It had an interesting message though it didn't beat me in the head with it. As well as some nice performances from Damon, Krasinski, McDormand, and Holbrook. It also had a clever plot twist as well.

Last edited by Elevator Man; 02-20-2014 at 12:02 AM.