The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Misc. Comics

Old 11-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #151
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: The Official Stupid "Random Comics" Question Thread

Does 2000 AD ever accept submissions for Future Shock stories that come from authors that live outside of Great Britain?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #152
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

When you say accept, do you mean take in submissions, or the implication of them actually publishing them?

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #153
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
When you say accept, do you mean take in submissions, or the implication of them actually publishing them?
Well, if they take in the submissions, then it's probably just a matter of the story's quality that determines wether or not the publish it. So, both, I guess.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #154
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

Yeah, as far as I know they take all submissions from anywhere.

http://www.2000adonline.com/submissions

There's nothing said about restrictions as far as region goes that I saw. Though, on the second part, I'm not really all that aware of many, if any, of the major American stars get started there...I think it mostly ends up being British

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.

Last edited by Tron Bonne; 04-14-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #155
Calavera
Side-Kick

what about american mags like it?

Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #156
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

I don't really know of any American mags like it, outside maybe Heavy Metal, but I'm not sure if they take unsolicited submissions or not.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #157
moose1132
Side-Kick

I've only been reading trades here and there for the past year (newbie to comics I suppose), but lately I've caught all up with a couple series and was wondering if anyone can suggest any good web sites to buy comics online with? Possibly looking for some that offer subscription services as well, but not if they take forever to send them. I found like 1 comic shop near me and when I took a drive out there the other day, they were randomly closed during business hours so the online thing might be my only bet.

moose1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #158
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

i think mycomicshop.com offers some kind of subscription service. ive only used them to buy back issues but im pretty sure ive seen that option.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #159
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

HeavyInk has a fantastic subscription service that I've recently started using. I have a local shop but they're in somewhat dire financial straits, so they never order indie comics unless you specifically ask like weeks in advance. So I finally gave up and just started setting up subscriptions with HeavyInk for any series that look interesting but are too off-the-beaten-path for my shop to risk ordering.

It's worked out swimmingly so far. They have about a 20% discount on most of the prices for their new comics. Shipping can be a bit pricey--$2.99 for 1 issue, $1.99 for 2 issues, and $0.99 for 3 issues and up--but you can set up your shipments so they'll wait until you have at least 3 comics before they ship, allowing you to get the lowest shipping charge. That plus their discount works out so you're essentially getting new comics for cover price.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #160
moose1132
Side-Kick

I'll have to try one of those then. I finally caught a time when the comic shop near me was open and found they don't really keep up on any new issues. I was looking for the latest Walking Dead and Buffy season 8 too. They were like 3 or 4 months behind. I'm no comic expert by any means, but I would think those are rather popular series.

moose1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #161
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

they are, and thats pretty bad if theyre THAT far behind. even Borders bookstore is more up to date.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #162
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, that's pretty bad. There's a shop like that where I live, but I hear it's owned by some rich lawyer guy who just keeps it as a hobby, opens it whenever he wants, and sits around playing the banjo inside. Weird dude.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #163
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Yeah, that's pretty bad. There's a shop like that where I live, but I hear it's owned by some rich lawyer guy who just keeps it as a hobby, opens it whenever he wants, and sits around playing the banjo inside. Weird dude.
I'd go to that shop. Not to buy anything probably, but I would

Quote:
Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #164
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I went once. It was weird. He had no shoes that time, either. But I go to comic shops to buy new comics, so I never went back.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #165
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

did anybody get a chance to catch stan lee's herman, star born or soldier zero? are they even out yet?i couldn't find any threads on them.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #166
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

I know there are a lot of popular writers working in the US that came from other countries, but Mark Millar and Grant Morrison are the only 2 I can think of.

Are there any other popular writers that aren't born and bred in the USA?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #167
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
did anybody get a chance to catch stan lee's herman, star born or soldier zero? are they even out yet?i couldn't find any threads on them.
They are out, and I believe the first trades are due out pretty soon. I'm mainly tradewaiting them, was probably going to check out Solider Zero and The Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
I know there are a lot of popular writers working in the US that came from other countries, but Mark Millar and Grant Morrison are the only 2 I can think of.

Are there any other popular writers that aren't born and bred in the USA?
Alan Moore, Peter Milligan, Paul Cornell, Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, and Neil Gaiman come to mind.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #168
The Morningstar
Banned User

Grant Morisson, Mike Carey and DnA also.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #169
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

great. thanks, guys.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #170
Karelia
We Are Groot

Have their been any new super heroes introduced to Marvel/DC in awhile? Aside from the new Lanterns that have appeared, I can't really think of any.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #171
Anubis
Sup?

A whole buncha new Marvel characters got introduced at the beginning of the heroic age in Avengers Academy.

H.E.
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #172
EML420
It's only part time.

This might sound really dumb but its been bothering me. How are some heros like Wolverine for example in various series at once and do the events of one effect the other I mean I know they intertwine some times. But it still bothers me lol im kinda embbarrassed to even ask this makes me sound really noobie like.

EML420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #173
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EML420 View Post
This might sound really dumb but its been bothering me. How are some heros like Wolverine for example in various series at once and do the events of one effect the other I mean I know they intertwine some times. But it still bothers me lol im kinda embbarrassed to even ask this makes me sound really noobie like.
Wolverine's in 100 books at once because hes popular, plain and simple. and it all depends if one writer wants to use or reference events that happen in one book for another. its easiest not to think of these stories as some kind of record of their life, just a series of adventures that could be placed chronologically when necessary to tell a story.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #174
Anubis
Sup?

Nothing is happening at the same time.

The average Story arc takes place over the course of anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days. Sure, it takes six to eight months to tell the story real time, but by the end of the actual story, it's probably less than a day has past.

With Quin Jets that can get people to the other side of the planet in 20 minutes, teleporters, speedsters, etc, the ability to get around in comics is much easier. So a guy like Wolverine can be on 10 or 11 teams, and have time for solo adventures and randomly teaming up with random people, cuz he can be anywhere, and at the end of the day, he probably only spent an hour or two out of his day there anyway.

And yes, it's all in continuity. He even comments on how busy he is all the time.

H.E.
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #175
EML420
It's only part time.

Thanks guys its so crazy though how Wolverine and Deadpool are in so much stuff lol.

EML420 is offline   Reply With Quote