The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 06-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

Default Batman and the seven deadly sins...

If Batman had to face a villian at represented the seven deadly sins... i mean one villian per sin, who would your seven villians be?

Mine...

Greed - Black Mask
Sloth - Scareface
Pride - Riddler
Envy - Two-Face
Wrath - Joker
Gluttony - Penguin
Lust - Catwoman

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
TheVelvetOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Charlie The Red
Banned User

Default Re: Batman and the seven deadly sins...

Wrath = Two-Face
Lust = Poison Ivy
Greed = Black Mask
Gluttony = Bane
Envy = Scarecrow
Pride = Riddler
Sloth = Mad Hatter

I'd say Joker sums them all up pretty well.

Charlie The Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Darlton
Banned User

Strange thread.

My take:

Envy - Riddler (he really tries to prove himself over others all the time, he's quite insecure)
Gluttony - Bane (no need to explain)
Greed - Black Mask
Lust - Catwoman (rather than Poison Ivy; I believe Catwoman is really moved by libido, and Poison Ivy just feigns lust to get what she wants. I also believe Catwoman is quite wrathful)
Pride - Joker & Penguin (Each one in very different manners, of course)
Sloth - Clayface
Wrath - Two-Face/Mr. Freeze

Darlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

strange but gets you thinking tho

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
TheVelvetOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Sonic1002
Side-Kick

Envy: Clayface
Gluttony: Black Mask
Greed: Joker
Lust: Catwoman
Pride: Penguin
Sloth: Scarecrow
Wrath: Freeze

RIP Heath Ledger
Sonic1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Not a strange thread.

An awesome thread, imo.

I've always like to wonder which villains for Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, et cetera represents the seven deadly sins.

LightningFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
JohnnyGobbs
Side-Kick

Excellent idea for a thread TheVelvetOnion. I'll try a different angle and just focus on the cinematic interpretations of the characters:

Envy: The Penguin (Returns - The Penguin resents the inhabitants of Gotham for having the life he was denied, and seeks to kill Gotham's first-born sons)
Gluttony: The Riddler (Forever - Not a sin usually associated with this villain, and it's arguable that his real issue in the film is a combination of pride and envy. However, in Forever, his downfall eventually arises as a consequence of his addiction to his brain-drain invention)
Greed: Max Shreck (Returns - Aims to gain greater financial control of Gotham by holding it to ransom via his power plant)
Lust: Poison Ivy (Batman & Robin - Inspires lust in men and forced them to do her dirty work via pheromone dust)
Pride: The Joker (Batman '89 & TDK - A vain man who wants to dominate Gotham City, either by scaring them into submission or bringing them down to his level)
Sloth: Bane (Batman & Robin - A moronic henchman who beckons to his superiors' orders)
Wrath: Two-Face (Forever & TDK - Two-Face is full of wrath against Batman in Forever for allowing him to become scarred, and against Gotham PD for letting Rachel die)

PS: I'm sorry to cite Batman & Robin in this thread.

Last edited by JohnnyGobbs; 07-03-2009 at 08:24 AM.
JohnnyGobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
Darlton
Banned User

We won't press charges, but don't ever do it again.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Do any of you guys even know what sloth means? It wouldn't appear so, according to what villians you have nominated to represent it. Perhaps if you would explain your choices, I might inderstand better. Otherwise I have to assume you don't know what it means, cause your choices, on the face of it make no sense. (no disrespect intended)

*splat*

Last edited by Bathead; 07-02-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Bathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
Darlton
Banned User

?????

Sloth means laziness. You would agree that there isn't one single villain in Bat-world that feels "lazy". At least, I can't think of one. I chose Clayface because he always tries to get things the easy way, instead of fighting for something he poses for someone else to get what he wants, to infiltrate in places and get reactions from his enemies and stuff. With him it's always the easy way, even with his writers. His ability is almost always used in ways that seem to me like "cop out"s, like little deus ex machina's in the plot, which certainly feels like a very lazy manner of writing.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

OK, well, that's a reasoning I could understand. I don't necessarily agree, but at least i can see your logic there. I mean it could be said most villians are villians because it seems to them to be an easy way of getting what they want. I feel to say clatface is lazy because of that is reaching a bit, but that's just my opinion.
The others ...Bane, Scarecrow, Scarface, Mad Hatter? Such a wide variety of villians. How are any of them slothful? Please explain.

*splat*
Bathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
JohnnyGobbs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
Do any of you guys even know what sloth means? It wouldn't appear so, according to what villians you have nominated to represent it. Perhaps if you would explain your choices, I might inderstand better. Otherwise I have to assume you don't know what it means, cause your choices, on the face of it make no sense. (no disrespect intended)

Sloth generally means an aversion to work or laziness, or more specifically as far as the 'deadly sins' go - apathy, but it's very difficult to identify a villain who is lazy, or even apathetic since comic-book villains by their general nature are pro-active characters.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I picked a character who was 'intellectually' lazy (at least as far as his cinematic version went), but it's true to say that there aren't many comic-book characters who exemplify 'laziness' (with the exception of maybe a few sidekick types, or supporting characters).

JohnnyGobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #13
michael of mc
New User - Level 0

Envy: The Penguin, Gluttony: Clay Face, Greed: Max Shreck, Lust: Cat Woman, Pride: Poison Ivy, Sloth: Bane, and Wrath: Killer Croc. Joker has nothing to do with the sins because he is nuts/crazy/insane/demented/and whatever else you want to call it(such as criminally insane.).
But you could place these characters instead ( Envy: The Penguin, Gluttony: Clay Face, Greed: Max Shreck, Lust: Cat Woman, Pride: Poison Ivy, Sloth: bane, and Wrath: Solomon Grundy.).

Last edited by michael of mc; 09-05-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: not compleit
michael of mc is offline   Reply With Quote