The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #276
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Batman & Robin Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixdexia View Post

probably because they are cool. really cool.
Oh God, I inadvertedly made another Freeze-pun.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #277
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
At least what I said was that it tried to be "cool." And B&R/Schumacher things like cartoon sounds were "cool."
Cool cool? or Arnie's cool?

I've always found it funny to watch the movie with an another person. Laughing at their faces when they see it unfold

I believe in Batfleck
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #278
OutRiddled
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
I just cant get behind a campy Batman. I've tried watching the Batman movie from 1966 and appreciate it for what it really is but I cant. A quipping Batman just doesnt work for me.
Batman 1960s is comedy genius in the vein of Monty Python. Batman certainly pioneered the bizarre, surreal and silly comedy before MP did.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #279
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
Batman 1960s is comedy genius in the vein of Monty Python. Batman certainly pioneered the bizarre, surreal and silly comedy before MP did.
If you like your Batman like that, good for you. It's not for me.

Hobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #280
The /
Side-Kick

Something that I've always wondered. When Batman & Robin was released in theaters, I was only nine years old. Of course, being that young, I can only remember being absolutely stoked for the film and enjoyed collecting my cups from Taco Bell. For older fans, though, before it's release, was there any fear or any indication among the fans that this film was going to end up being as bad as it was? I mean, I know Batman forever wasn't exactly well-received on a critical or fan level (at least I don't think it was), but was there any excitement at all among fans for Batman & Robin? Or did fans see the trailer and say "Yeah, this movie is going to suck"? Was it like knowing that something really bad was coming?

The / is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #281
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The / View Post
Something that I've always wondered. When Batman & Robin was released in theaters, I was only nine years old. Of course, being that young, I can only remember being absolutely stoked for the film and enjoyed collecting my cups from Taco Bell. For older fans, though, before it's release, was there any fear or any indication among the fans that this film was going to end up being as bad as it was? I mean, I know Batman forever wasn't exactly well-received on a critical or fan level (at least I don't think it was), but was there any excitement at all among fans for Batman & Robin? Or did fans see the trailer and say "Yeah, this movie is going to suck"? Was it like knowing that something really bad was coming?
As far as I know, Batman Forever was well-received at the BO. And I knew it wasn't great but it was decent pop-corn. In fact I thought Schumacher could come with a movie that was as good or even better than BF. But no.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #282
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Actually, Batman Forever was a pretty liked movie until Batman and Robin was released. BF has some good moments, but some of the deleted scenes are really great. Bruce watching the news and asking himself if Batman's actions are welcomed was great. Same goes for the scene where he forgets about his life as Batman. Not only were those scenes great, but Kilmer did an incredible job. Forever was kind of campy, but also had a dark tone which was great.

Batman and Robin is really a modern version of the Adam West show, and it's a damn funny movie. Batman is a people in it.

I'm dancing the Batusi in front of Bane Hardy
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #283
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Well I should know all about the love for Batman Forever. I got used as an excuse to go see it 10 times when I was 3 by Cheryl Cole lol

I believe in Batfleck
Old 03-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #284
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

I do remember an article in Wizard magazine from early 1997 that asked "Are we ready for Batman lite?" So yeah, there were concerns early on.

Hobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #285
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Well I should know all about the love for Batman Forever. I got used as an excuse to go see it 10 times when I was 3 by Cheryl Cole lol
Cheryl likes Batman? Never would have thought it.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #286
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post
Cheryl likes Batman? Never would have thought it.
She still does, but she was more mad for it than me when I was young, and that's saying something

I believe in Batfleck
Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #287
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

One thing I don't mind is the design the Schumacher flicks had for Arkham Asylum, with the expressionism of lightning and rain.

AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #288
ALP
In The Mountains

Without a doubt, Arkham was the best thing Schumacher visualized.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #289
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Without a doubt, Arkham was the best thing Schumacher visualized.
Yeah. I also quite like the establishing exterior shot of the South American jungle in B&R .

Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #290
TMC1982
Side-Kick

Default The Fundamental Reasons Why 'Batman + Robin' Failed

It really wants to have its cake and eat it too so to speak. At one end, it plays off as pretty much a goofier/dumbed down version of Batman Forever, yet at the same time, wants to have "serious" scenes like the stuff involving Alfred on is deathbed. For all its flaws, Batman Forever did a much better job in balancing out the seriousness w/ the goofiness/over-the-top action and effects.

Also, Mr. Freeze's backstory from Batman: The Animated Series (which pretty much made Mr. Freeze an A-list member of Batman's rogues gallery) involving Nora yet at the same time, has him cracking wise and making all of this puns about his gimmick.

Not only that, it wants to be a two hour toy commercial for kids (since the tone in the previous movie was much lighter than in Batman Returns) while at the same time having Poison Ivy spout all of these double entendres.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Superm...51014908319206

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #291
iwtv
Side-Kick

Could someone please direct me to where the Bat-Nipple jokes are at? Those never get old...

iwtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #292
Thebumwhowalks
Banned User

Quote:
Aye, there was a huge backlash once the first test screenings were held, months before it's official release to audiences. Harry Knowles' aicn review of one of the test screenings put aicn on the worldwide map, got him on the news being interviewed, and was what the world media quoted when writing about the upcoming movie.

Here in the UK, the major left wing broadsheet newspaper is called the Guardian, and it featured an article on B&R months before it's release, and it's focus was on the aicn review Harry wrote.
It put the feature on the front cover of it's weekend magazine called the 'Guide', with an illustration of a wee boy punching Batman in the stomach, as Harry had written about some wee boy asking to be taken out of the theatre during the film, with Harry commenting on how back when he was this kid's age, no force on Earth could have moved him from the cinema when watching the first two Superman movies.

The Guardian article also talked about how Schumacher had said he was going to edit the movie after those screenings, and take out some of the more comedic elements of Clooney's Batman performance(in one of the trailers Clooney hits out with a 'quip' at Freeze, when he first confronts him, 'Didn't your mother ever tell you it wasn't safe to play with guns?", which was removed from the film, don't know if there were any other 'quips' removed, although I have to admit liking his 'quip' to Poison Ivy, 'why are all the beautiful ones homicidal maniacs, is it me?') , and it also said that Schumacher was going to do some re-shoots, so I vainly hoped that Schumacher would fix some of the problems the movie had for audiences, but really, I knew it would probably be crap, although I thought we'd only have to wait another three years for another one, and they'd make sure that one was better.
Of course, I didn't know then just how bad B&R would be, and that we'd have to wait until 2005, but it was worth the wait, to get a Batman film that was finally doing justice to the character.

Last edited by Thebumwhowalks; 04-05-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Thebumwhowalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #293
El Payaso
Banned User

The day they released B&R where I live I went out to see it first thing in the morning, skipped class, and in a magazine stand I found a B&R magazine and the B&R comic adaptation, which I read (sort of) while going to see it. But nothing prepared me for the final product.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #294
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

Quote:
being a huge Bat-Fan,and having seen the other 3 multiple times in the theaters (and buying the VHS tapes as soon as they were released) , i can say,yes,there was some fear...as quip-and-pun filled as BF could be,and some of the campy elements too, it at least kept a dark center,and dealt with some mature themes and topics....i hoped for something similar from B & R ,but then the test screening reviews came out,and people started talking about the super-camp value of it,and Batman and Robin doing double-moves like the 60's TV show,and whooshing and pratfall sound effects being added,and....and my heart began to sink....

i went into that theater in the Summer of 1997 open to it,hoping for an enjoyable experience with some dark elements,ala BF....what i got was crap....my problem ISN'T what B & R is/was...my problem is what it was being the 4th film in the series,and a suppossed continuation of the previous 3 films....

mikey1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #295
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

"I said make sure they give you a trapdoor in your Batsuit. They get you in this contraption, and in order to go to the bathroom you have to completely disrobe, and it takes an hour to get it back on."

Advice of Michelle Pfeiffer to George Clooney about playing Batman.
Entertainment Weekly - Nov 22, 1996

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #296
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Batman and Robin changed my life forever.

I'm dancing the Batusi in front of Bane Hardy
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #297
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

"Hi Freeze. I'm Batman".

Wrong on so many Bat levels.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #298
iwtv
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post
"I said make sure they give you a trapdoor in your Batsuit. They get you in this contraption, and in order to go to the bathroom you have to completely disrobe, and it takes an hour to get it back on."

Advice of Michelle Pfeiffer to George Clooney about playing Batman.
Entertainment Weekly - Nov 22, 1996

Oh thank you for the Bat-nipples. Bet those things look just stunning in 1080 HD. :P

iwtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #299
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwtv View Post
Oh thank you for the Bat-nipples. Bet those things look just stunning in 1080 HD. :P
Oh they do, That blu ray is amazing on a big screen tv. Plus I love all the blu ray covers for the Anthology set.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #300
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Plus I love all the blu ray covers for the Anthology set.
I wish they used the real font instead of that steel stuff.