The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man World

Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #151
vinny2
Side-Kick

Default Re: LAME: the new iron-man cartoons are about a teen iron-man!

In partial defense of the series, the trailer does not make me think "rich Peter Parker" at all. AT ALL! Based on the minute or two we got from the trailer, Tony Stark isn't a loser by day, hero by night like Parker. Tony's the man in charge all the time, like his adult counterpart in the comics. Aside from the "Hurray! I'm rich!" comment, I didn't see a single drop of comedy. I think their going for a full-blown action drama series.

I repeat, just becuase he share the same age as Peter Parker, that does not mean he is a rich copy of him. Tony Stark is still Tony Stark no matter what age he is. He's still large and in change and he's still badass.

As for the Mandarin, let's just say a deep voice does not a good villain make.

Kissy Kissy makes me happy
Honey Honey sweet as candy
Kissy Kissy love is grand with you my sugar bee
vinny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #152
YJ1
Armed and Dangerous

Thumbs down Re: LAME: the new iron-man cartoons are about a teen iron-man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web-Head View Post
This would have surely PWNd if Tony wasn't a teenager.

It didn't sound too bad at first but it's bothering me after watching the trailer.
Teenage Tony is an AWFUL idea. (The Crossing anyone?) Why the need? Any kid that loved the movie will be confused by the new origin. Most real fans will be turned off or "bothered" at the least. If you're going to animate it this well, why not stick with the regular character??? Iron Man 2 is up next for Marvel Studios. You'd think they'd want to bridge the gap between movies and keep kids and fans hyped about the character. Instead, they are recreating the mythos and slipping in a kiddy Iron Man "series" that will be gone and probably best forgotten before the sequel even hits. This is frustrating to say the least and doomed to failure because it has no built in base. I'm a life-long Iron Man fan and I'm passing on this one.

YJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #153
vinny2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ1 View Post
Teenage Tony is an AWFUL idea. (The Crossing anyone?) Why the need? Any kid that loved the movie will be confused by the new origin. Most real fans will be turned off or "bothered" at the least. If you're going to animate it this well, why not stick with the regular character??? Iron Man 2 is up next for Marvel Studios. You'd think they'd want to bridge the gap between movies and keep kids and fans hyped about the character. Instead, they are recreating the mythos and slipping in a kiddy Iron Man "series" that will be gone and probably best forgotten before the sequel even hits. This is frustrating to say the least and doomed to failure because it has no built in base. I'm a life-long Iron Man fan and I'm passing on this one.
First off, a teenage protagonist does not mean it's a kiddy series. Secondly, your logic is a bit flawed. Do you recall what happened with they created a series to bridge the gap between Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2? The series lasted only 13 episodes and was criticizes for being too close to the film. The cast was never allowed to grow beyond their film counterparts and certain villains were off limits becuase they had either already been used or will be used in the film series.

The Mandarin is Iron Man's greatest foe and if the new series were in continuity with the film, no doubt the Mandarin would be off limits becuase they would be saving him for a future installment in the film series. (Iron Monger would also be off limits due to his appearance in the first film.)

Now we have the Spectacular Spider-Man, a series with a child protagonist and no obvious connection to the film series which has been critically acclaimed. I'm not saying this proves Iron Man: Armored Adventures will be a success, but it leaves that avenue open despite Tony's youthful age.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #154
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny2 View Post
In partial defense of the series, the trailer does not make me think "rich Peter Parker" at all. AT ALL! Based on the minute or two we got from the trailer, Tony Stark isn't a loser by day, hero by night like Parker. Tony's the man in charge all the time, like his adult counterpart in the comics. Aside from the "Hurray! I'm rich!" comment, I didn't see a single drop of comedy. I think their going for a full-blown action drama series.

I repeat, just becuase he share the same age as Peter Parker, that does not mean he is a rich copy of him. Tony Stark is still Tony Stark no matter what age he is. He's still large and in change and he's still badass.

As for the Mandarin, let's just say a deep voice does not a good villain make.
No he's not. I don't know how much you follow the Iron Man comics, but that IS NOT Tony Stark.

I too am turned off by the series and hope it gets canned after a few episodes.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return

Last edited by Iron_Stark; 07-21-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #155
Odin's Lapdog
Side-Kick

could someone pass me a link to the trailer please, much love

why don't i feel, my Skin should crack and peel?
I want the
Fire back...

If you want to PM me, please send it to November RAIN. Odin's Lapdog's pm box is full
Odin's Lapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #156
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

It's on Marvel.com

http://www.marvel.com/

Iron Man will return
Old 07-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #157
vinny2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
No he's not. I don't know how much you follow the Iron Man comics, but that IS NOT Tony Stark.

I too am turned off by the series and hope it gets canned after a few episodes.
It won't be. Five years after it ends it'll be quickly forgotten. Of that I'm sure. However, this show will last and it has a very good chance of surpassing its 90's counterpart.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #158
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
It won't be. Five years after it ends it'll be quickly forgotten. Of that I'm sure. However, this show will last and it has a very good chance of surpassing its 90's counterpart.
There was a 90 tv show?

I think this is like Ultimate Iron Man and the The Crossing

ironman29758 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #159
vinny2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman29758 View Post
There was a 90 tv show?

I think this is like Ultimate Iron Man and the The Crossing
I am unfamiliar with The Crossing, but I can see the parallels with Ultimate Iron Man that you point out.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #160
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
I am unfamiliar with The Crossing, but I can see the parallels with Ultimate Iron Man that you point out.
from wikipedia:

The story arc "The Crossing" reveals Iron Man as a traitor among the Avengers' ranks, due to years of manipulation by the time-traveling dictator Kang the Conqueror. Stark, as a sleeper agent in Kang's thrall, kills Marilla, the nanny of Crystal and Quicksilver's daughter Luna, as well as Rita DeMara, the female Yellowjacket, then an ally of the Avengers. (The miniseries Avengers Forever later retcons these events as the work of a disguised Immortus, not Kang, and that the mental control had gone back only a few months).
Needing help to defeat both Stark and the ostensible Kang, the team travels back in time to recruit a teenaged Tony Stark from an alternate timeline to assist them. The young Stark steals an Iron Man suit in order to aid the Avengers against his older self. The sight of his younger self shocks the older Stark enough for him to regain momentary control of his actions, and he sacrifices his life to stop Kang. The young Stark later builds his own suit to become the new Iron Man, and, remaining in the present day, gains legal control of "his" company.
During the battle with the creature called Onslaught, the teenaged Stark dies, along with many other superheroes. However, Franklin Richards preserves these "dead" heroes in the "Heroes Reborn" pocket universe, in which Tony Stark is once again an adult hero; Franklin recreates the heroes in the pocket universe in the forms he is most familiar with rather than what they are at the present. The reborn adult Stark, upon returning to the normal Marvel Universe, merges with the original Stark, who had died during "The Crossing," but was resurrected by Franklin Richards. This new Tony Stark possesses the memories of both the original and teenage Tony Starks, and thus considers himself to be essentially both of them. With the aid of the law firm Nelson & Murdock, he successfully regains his fortune and, with Stark Enterprises having been sold to the Fujikawa Corporation following Stark's death, sets up a new company, Stark Solutions. He also returns from the pocket universe with a restored and healthy heart. After the Avengers reform, Stark demands a hearing be convened to look into his actions just prior to the Onslaught incident. Cleared of wrongdoing, he rejoins the Avengers.

ironman29758 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:17 AM   #161
Spade
Stardust Crusader

I give this a season, maybe two. Then it'll go the way of MTV's Spider-Man. People loved the movie for the same reason people love Tony in the books. Changing him from a playboy arms dealer to a boy with a dead relative and a compulsion to do good makes me think less of Ultimate Tony (which they were probably aiming for) and more of young Spidey. The art style doesn't look very impressive, to boot. Not sure what you were thinking, Marvel...

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #162
vinny2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chibi Kiriyama View Post
I give this a season, maybe two. Then it'll go the way of MTV's Spider-Man. People loved the movie for the same reason people love Tony in the books. Changing him from a playboy arms dealer to a boy with a dead relative and a compulsion to do good makes me think less of Ultimate Tony (which they were probably aiming for) and more of young Spidey. The art style doesn't look very impressive, to boot. Not sure what you were thinking, Marvel...
I still don't believe the age change was inherently wrong. A seventeen year old could still be a playboy arms dealer. (Out of fairness, the 90's Iron Man was just a guy with the compulsion to do good. He just happened to be older.) Well, they evidently went with the nice guy Tony here when they didn't have to or didn't need to. A teenage Iron Man could have worked well. This will be a fairly successful show. Of that I'm sure. However, it will be forgotten quickly because it is Iron Man in name only.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #163
YJ1
Armed and Dangerous

Lightbulb Re: LAME: the new iron-man cartoons are about a teen iron-man!

Quote:
Do you recall what happened with they created a series to bridge the gap between Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2? The series lasted only 13 episodes and was criticizes for being too close to the film.
It was criticized for being horribly animated with characters having shell hair and having to wear the same clothes all the time. The content wasn't the problem, it was the fact that it was a clunky eye sore. That doesn't seem to be the problem with this generation of computer animation. Iron Man should remain Iron Man and not Iron Boy.

YJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #164
vinny2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ1 View Post
It was criticized for being horribly animated with characters having shell hair and having to wear the same clothes all the time. The content wasn't the problem, it was the fact that it was a clunky eye sore. That doesn't seem to be the problem with this generation of computer animation. Iron Man should remain Iron Man and not Iron Boy.
Most cartoons have their characters wearing the same clothes all the time. Only on special occasions do they change. Spectacular Spider-Man has their characters wearing the same clothes all the time and it's successful becuase the content is amazing. MTV Spidey did not have that. I thought the animation was amazing.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #165
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...26/ironman.htm

CONTAINS SPOILERS OF FIRST TWO EPISODES!

GamerSlyRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #166
vinny2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post

and might I add that the summary of the episodes were badass? Yeah. I'm going to say that.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #167
Rocker22
Side-Kick

Sounds pretty good.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:36 PM   #168
vinny2
Side-Kick

The only thing (and I mean the ONLY thing. Everything else sounds perfect for what they're going for) that I'm still worried about is the Mandarin.

He's introduced at the end of the first episode (probably the same scene that starts the trailer) and in the next episode he's in New York to steal the ring from Stane. The summary doesn't mention how he found out Stane had the ring, or why he was unable to retrieve the ring when Howard Stark had it. It's not like a regular guy like Howard would have given him any trouble.

And then the summary mentions the Mandarin's stepson? Was that a typo or does the Mandarin seriously have a stepson? I don't care if he did have green skin, the Mandarin of the 90's series still seems better than this Mandarin.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #169
vinny2
Side-Kick

News from comicscontinuum:

Quote:
* Marvel and Nicktoons have provided The Continuum a look at the designs for Iron Man villains The Mandarin, Whiplash and Blizzard. Marvel's Josh Fine noted at this weekend's panel that the Iron Man villains will have a technological look.

Click on the thumbnails for larger images.
source: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...7/27/index.htm

Old 07-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #170
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
And then the summary mentions the Mandarin's stepson? Was that a typo or does the Mandarin seriously have a stepson? I don't care if he did have green skin, the Mandarin of the 90's series still seems better than this Mandarin.
I'm guessing it's the guy with the shades and the dragon shirt on the trailer. Then again, doesn't Mandarin in the comics also has a son named Temugin?

GamerSlyRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #171
vinny2
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm guessing it's the guy with the shades and the dragon shirt on the trailer. Then again, doesn't Mandarin in the comics also has a son named Temugin?
"Son"makes more sense to me than"stepson"becuase son means he had "relations" with a woman, which I can believe. Stepson means he's married, and the Mandarin doesn't strike me as a person who would be married.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #172
Johann Krauss
Banned User

I never thought I'd say this but...this looks as bad as the Black Panther show. Not only is the story bad but the animation looks like crap. If they wanted to do good computer animation then they should have given it to these guys:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

or these guys

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Johann Krauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #173
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Quote:

Quote:
* Yost explained why Tony Stark is a teenager in the movie. He said that hard liquor and womanizing were "not the most friendly kid issues" and that the creators boiled the essence down to a character more accessible to younger views.
What a complete and utter moron, in the comics, he's not into liquor and hasn't been for the past 20+ years, in the old cartoons, he wasn't into liquor and wasn't a womaniser.

Clearly these idiots don't know jack sh** about Tony Stark.

Quote:
"Hopefully, you'll see the Tony Stark you know and there," he said.
No we won't.

Quote:
* Fine said "there is a very good chance you'll see some others you might recognize in the series."
Hopefully this show gets tanked before they show anymore screwups. Me personally, I'm won't even be watching one episode.

Quote:
* Yost said other versions of the armor will be seen. "As far as War Machine goes, it's hard to say," Yost said.
Good, hopefully they won't get a chance to screw up War Machine.

Quote:
* Dawkins said Nicktoons is for kids 6-14, and the show should hit that target, but he feels it will have an appeal wider than. "I feel confident and excited about this," he said.
Screw these A-holes, us long time Iron Man fans have been waiting for a Bat Man:TAS type show for a long while and when they finally get the oportuniy to make a show following the success of the movie, we get this??

I hope this show tanks after a few episodes.

Iron Man will return

Last edited by Iron_Stark; 08-12-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #174
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
What a complete and utter moron, in the comics, he's not into liquor and hasn't been for the past 20+ years, in the old cartoons, he wasn't into liquor and wasn't a womaniser.

Clearly these idiots don't know jack sh** about Tony Stark.

No we won't.

Hopefully this show gets tanked before they show anymore screwups. Me personally, I'm won't even be watching one episode.

Good, hopefully they won't get a chance to screw up War Machine.

Screw these A-holes, us long time Iron Man fans have been waiting for a Bat Man:TAS type show for a long while and when they finally get the oportuniy to make a show following the success of the movie, we get this??

I hope this show tanks after a few episodes.
I agree with everything you said. Plus how many kids saw the Iron Man movie and loved it? Tons. You don't need to kid it down to make more appealable.

Lunar_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #175
vinny2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
I agree with everything you said. Plus how many kids saw the Iron Man movie and loved it? Tons. You don't need to kid it down to make more appealable.
The question isn't whether or not changing the age was necessary. It clearly wasn't. The question is whether or not the age change will doom it to failure. The interview states that even if they went with an adult Tony Stark, hard liqueur and womanizing wouldn't be present. It would essentially be the same character, only older.

If this show fails, it won't be becuase of Tony's age. It'll be becuase of the story content that would have been exactly the same had they gone with an adult Tony Stark. It's okay to hate this show and hope for it's failure, but please don't convince yourself that this show would have been better with an older Iron Man. It would have been the exact same show.