The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Super-World

Old 11-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
Default "The Amazing World of Superman" themepark concept from 1973

This is probably old hat to most comic book fans but I just came across this for the first time today and I was charmed by it.

This would have been awesome to see realized. Especially as something vintage now in our modern world.

There's articles on it here and here that show more images from the special issue in which this appeared. The issue this appeared in looks like a great issue to have, since it also featured a map of Krypton.

It does make me wonder if we could one day see such a themepark devoted to the DCEU version that Snyder is creating. Can you imagine all this updated with our modern version of the character?

rogbngp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Autobot Slacker
Default Re: "The Amazing World of Superman" themepark concept from the 1973

Eh, I can't, not really.

In the first place, I don't think Superman would get his own park anymore - he'd have to share it with the rest of Batman & His, sorry, the Justice League.
Secondly, this probably wouldn't happen as long as Time-Warner's in bed with Six Flags...if they were gonna bother to create an exclusively-DC-based park, they'd have done it already, especially now with Marvel being under Disney's umbrella (granted, what Disney CAN do with Marvel at its parks seems to be limited by Universal's Islands Of Adventure, but that'd make it the perfect time for Time-Warner to strike while the iron's hot, and they haven't done it).
Lastly, I don't think Time-Warner would strictly want to use the DCEU as the basis, because why plaster Henry Cavill's and Ben Affleck's likenesses all over the place and have to give them royalties for it when they can just have Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez or Brett Breeding or whoever trot out those New 52 designs again?

"My folks came to the U.S. as immigrants, aliens, and became citizens. I was born in Boston, a citizen, went to Hollywood and became an alien."
Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by Jochimus; 11-23-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Default Re: "The Amazing World of Superman" themepark concept from the 1973

You could be perfectly right about the business aspect. It may not be a good risk to take entrepreneurially. Actually, the notion floating around in my noggin which was not clearly expressed, was that if this thing had actually gotten built back in 1973 and somehow avoided being demolished, that I would get a kick out of seeing it restored now as a kind of retro experience. But that got me musing also about what a contemporary "Man of Steel World" would look like. I'm not even advocating for it to be built. Just noting that I would enjoy seeing it if it ever did. I'd go. But I suspect you're right that we're unlikely to see such a thing.

Didn't Disney/Marvel try launching a kind of traveling expo event last summer that flopped due to rushed execution?

rogbngp is online now   Reply With Quote