Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #126
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: Iron Man Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dman27 View Post
i notice that nobody has mentioned the shadow score ,that was very good
It was a fantastic score and... it's my best Batman theme to date (or, at least, it should've been Batman's theme).

I honestly didn't dislike the IM score, but I didn't find it great. The worst part for me was that it didn't elevate the final fight at all.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #127
Savage
Earth Rocker

Yup. That's "Driving with the top down".

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #128
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I can run off some more I'm saying marvel (and to a large extent dc) don't write epic scores, they write scores to service the movie.

ten years from now

'hum the superman score'
'do do do do do - do do do
do do do do do - do do do
do do do do do - DO DO DO!!!

'hum the iron man score'
er...

'okay, hum the spider-man score'
erm...

'hum the x-men score'

'hulk score?'

'hum ANY marvel score'
I'll agree with you that Spider-man is impossible to hum but Iron Man goes.

Dun dun dun dun, dun dun dun dun, DUN DUN

Fantastic Four
Dun dun, dun dun dun dun
Dun dun, dun dun dun dun
Dun dun, dun dun dun dun
DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUNNN

Daredevil
Dun dunnn
Dun DUNNN
DUN dunnn
dun dunnn
dun dunnn

I can go on like this. Want me to pm you me humming every superhero theme in text form?

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #129
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
Yup. That's "Driving with the top down".
Cheers Savage!

Van Petrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #130
DarknessOfDeath
You light up my world

I really do like the soundtrack and I don't care who says bad stuff about it. Its a little different from any other Marvel soundtrack I heard.

Last edited by DarknessOfDeath; 05-07-2008 at 12:48 PM.
DarknessOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #131
byte19
200... It WILL Happen...

yea... read the whole forum. i love Hans' work, from back in the days of Backdraft, Pacific Hieghts, and Days of Thunder, to The Ring, Da Vinci Code, and The Dark Knight. I love his team, who I call 'The Barbarian Horde'. I love thier work, it seems some of you do not. that's you guys. Listening to Hans gives me a greater appreciation of others like Morriconne, Williams Elfman and Walker (who incidentally, the last two composers have WORKED with Hans!) Having played and enjoyed scores since '89 (Batman) i have a bigger collection of scores than alot of so called reviewers have. and to say BB doesn't have an epic score is saying i like the smell of my own butt.

so don't like Hans and his minions. more music for me.

The Rascal Theorist: New Frequency! CD out NOW! http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/new...cy/id399123881
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I Will Watch This Film More Times Than Anyone On The Planet... It Will Happen...
byte19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #132
DarknessOfDeath
You light up my world

and this ramin composer dude, first time I heard of him and he's awsome but you know I have other composers that I really like and each one has their own unique style when scoring/composing the soundtrack for movies like these.

DarknessOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #133
Silver Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
I'll agree with you that Spider-man is impossible to hum.
Are you kidding, I can easily hum the main titles from all three movies. Not in text from, though.

Cancellation of The Spectacular Spider-Man = EPIC FAIL
Silver Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #134
ntbone
NT becomes T-Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Spider View Post
Are you kidding, I can easily hum the main titles from all three movies. Not in text from, though.
i agree, i could do it too. Danny Elfman wrote a great score for the Spider-Man films. And yes, Christopher Young did as well.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #135
Rac
Deadite

I really like what Ramin Djawadi did with Iron Man! I hope he'll be back in the second one.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #136
Silver Spider
Side-Kick

Yeah, Iron Man's score would only work for Iron Man, with the combination of orchestral and rock music. I loved the violin work in this movie.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #137
Hoedowned
Side-Kick

I thought the music was a "hit and miss" thing , sometimes you get really fantastic stuff like 'Driving with the top down' or 'Iron Man' or you get crappy stuff like "Merchant of Death" or "Iron Monger". Also, I hated how sometimes the orchestra had that plastic sound, I know that happens a lot with Hans Zimmer related scores, but in "Vacation's Over" that effect really went overboard. And I really liked "Extra Dry, Extra Olives", a nice and welcome shift in sound from the other tracks.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #138
Silver Spider
Side-Kick

When does "Driving with the Top Down" play in the movie, I forgot?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #139
FilmBuff2000

Hopefully Debney will get Iron Man 2. There's an interview from XM Cinemagic where Jon emphasizes that he would like to work with John Debney again, and basically hinting at the fact that the producer from the movie, Kevin Feige, wanted one of Hans' guys or Hans himself instead of Debney, so Favreau didn't really have a say in who would be hired to score it.

If any of you have a chance, listen to (on iTunes) to Debney's Cutthroat Island soundtrack, or his recent score for the video game LAIR and you will see what could have been for the first score. Another good action/adventure score is (coincidentally) for Favreau's last movie Zathura. Hell, even his Passion of the Christ music is very epic in scope. It seems many of you don't know who some of the lesser known (but better) composers are, like Debney. You're just used to hearing Hans Zimmer's same ol' action music over and over and over again because him (or one of his guys) gets a lot of those projects. John Debney can write excellent music. What Ramin Djawadi wrote is not good music. I'm not bashing him as a composer, I'm just saying this particular score was simply not good. So hopefully Hans or any of his guys will stay far away from the Iron Man sequels and/or the Avengers if Favreau directs it.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #140
Silver Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmBuff2000 View Post
It seems many of you don't know who some of the lesser known (but better) composers are, like Debney. You're just used to hearing Hans Zimmer's same ol' action music over and over and over again because him (or one of his guys) gets a lot of those projects. John Debney can write excellent music. What Ramin Djawadi wrote is not good music. I'm not bashing him as a composer, I'm just saying this particular score was simply not good.
Dude, I'm far from a big Hans Zimmer fan. I think he's one of the most overrated composers out there. I'm not saying he's bad I'm just saying he's not as great as everyone says; I mean I love his score for Pirates of the Carribean. I'm a fan of John Williams and John Ottman, and prefer their more epic feeling music. I also like Danny Elfman sometimes.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #141
FilmBuff2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Spider View Post
Dude, I'm far from a big Hans Zimmer fan. I think he's one of the most overrated composers out there. I'm not saying he's bad I'm just saying he's not as great as everyone says; I mean I love his score for Pirates of the Carribean. I'm a fan of John Williams and John Ottman, and prefer their more epic feeling music. I also like Danny Elfman sometimes.
Huh? I'm confused. I agree with YOU. My comment wasn't directed at you but at other people who seem to worship Zimmer and no one else, that's all.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #142
webhead731
I'm a photographer

I didn't think I'd like a rock score in the final film. But it really did work well. They used some classic orchestral stuff in a mix. I loved it. Really did.

I got it yesterday too.

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #143
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Moderator

This is starting to sound like a Zimmer bashing forum. I don't love Zimmer (in fact, I'm pretty resentful of him for creating this whole Media Ventures crew that's now scoring every big budget action flick), but Hans Zimmer is a talented composer...when he's not phoning it in or delegating to one of his lackeys. His score for The Lion King is one of the greats, and rightfully the only one he's ever won the Oscar for. His score for The Thin Red Line was also gorgeous. He and Lisa Gerard (along with a few lackeys) did a more than solid score for Gladiator. He's not untalented...just often unmotivated or uninspired, but he is capable of great things. However, he often suffers from the same problem that John Williams, Danny Elfman, and James Horner have - repetition. SO many of their scores sound like each other, it's gradually turned me off of all of 'em. I love their early scores (minus Horner...never liked him), but now it seems like they're just repeating themselves (for the most part).

But they are all "greats." Ramin Djiwadi is not. Yeah, Iron Man's score was nothing special but it was solid, sometimes enjoyable, and served the movie it belonged to. Not every score has to be a classic.

And while we're naming "great composers," you can't discount James Newton Howard. Now THAT guy has range. From the M. Night Shyamalan movies, to family adventure flicks (Hidalgo, Peter Pan, Treasure Planet), to hard-edged modern thrillers (Collateral, Michael Clayton, The Fugitive, Primal Fear), to epics/melodramas (Blood Diamond, Waterworld, Snow Falling on Cedars, and my personal favorite, Restoration), the guy has never turned in a sub-par score - even when he only had 6 weeks to write, arrange, and record King Kong. And his scores almost never sound the same. His scores are often so much better than the movies they belong to deserve.

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #144
FilmBuff2000

I agree with everthing you said flickchick. I feel the same way about Zimmer. I don't hate him nor do I think he's a bad composer. He's good when he wants to be, but that doesn't happen too often anymore. I just don't like what he has done to the film scoring business. Yes that is a great call on JNH. He's really a great composer, but my only gripe with him (as of right now) is that he's beginning to do the same as Hans Zimmer and using many additional orchestrators and additional composers BUT without crediting them as Zimmer does. That's not what film scoring is. You shouldn't have to have a team of people to work on a score. Harry Gregson-Williams (who is an alumni of Zimmer's group) does the same thing now too, he has a team (albeit smaller) than Zimmer's, but it still annoys the heck outta me. If I were a composer working now-a-days (the traditional way, doing a score with one person) I would be pissed seeing this group of un-talented, uninspired guys getting quality projects when there are far more capable composers out there

Last edited by FilmBuff2000; 05-08-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #145
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Moderator

Interesting, FilmBuff. I hadn't realized JNH had started using lackeys, too. That is a bit disheartening. Well, they haven't started sounding manufactured to me yet, so that's something, and I don't think it'll bother me 'till they do. Still...I guess he's been hanging out with Hans too much.

Hopefully he doesn't go all-synthy. I enjoy his scores with electronic elements, but all my favorites of his are old-fashioned orchestral scores.

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:14 AM   #146
the_icon_007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El 8 View Post
"Gulmira" is my favorite
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I second that. Gulmira has a great buildup!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #147
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

sigh, I bet if you attempted to hum the theme tune to any marvel movie to mr joe bloggs on the street and asked them to identify it they wouldn't be able to. the marvel movie themes aren't memorable, maybe WE remember it but the majority of movie going people don't.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #148
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

i got my copy of the score yesterday the only part i didn't like was the one rock song the next to last number

Old 05-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #149
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

Anybody notice during the scenes with Iron Monger, there was a motif that sounded similar to the Hulk theme from the old Bill Bixby show? Maybe it's just me, but it sounded very similar.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #150
Silver Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmBuff2000 View Post
Huh? I'm confused. I agree with YOU. My comment wasn't directed at you but at other people who seem to worship Zimmer and no one else, that's all.
Oh, I thought that was a general statement directed towards everyone on the board. Sorry.