The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

View Poll Results: Rate the Movie
10 1 14.29%
9 1 14.29%
8 3 42.86%
7 2 28.57%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #101
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,040
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
Hell yes. Want trailer NOW!

__________________

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #102
Fives
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 602
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Cool pic. I haven't heard or seen anything about this movie in awhile, so I'm glad we got that pic. When can we expect a trailer for this movie?

Fives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #103
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick
 
Gold Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,474
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Sly actually looks normal in that picture. In the expendable movies he's got some serious bags under his eyes

Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #104
LuisTX85
Z
 
LuisTX85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15,064
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Arnold looks f'n awesome,Sly looks good yet weird cause he looks so different than in Expendables 1&2,In this pic Sly is like an old Matt LeBlanc!!!

__________________
Z..The Mark of Zorro
LuisTX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #105
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick
 
Gold Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,474
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Arnie as an imprisoned computer hacker who invented some code.


Lol

Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #106
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham
 
Matt Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Mattcave
Posts: 12,176
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

wow, why wasn't this movie on my radar? I saw the ET video and I'm ****ING SOLD!!!!

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #107
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Arnold Sagenegger.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #108
dark_b
Side-Kick
 
dark_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 43,955
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Samurai View Post
Arnie as an imprisoned computer hacker who invented some code.


Lol
do we have a problem with this ? do we?

both look amazing. they also look more natural with grey hair.

dark_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #109
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hell
Posts: 4,858
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

I wish Arnold would make King Conan already. I wouldn't mind Stallone directing, lol.

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #110
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick
 
Gold Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,474
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisTX85 View Post
Arnold looks f'n awesome,Sly looks good yet weird cause he looks so different than in Expendables 1&2,In this pic Sly is like an old Matt LeBlanc!!!


Stallone just looks more relaxed as opposed to "The Expendables"





Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #111
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,968
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Also missing that terrible facial hair. Apparently he let Arnie borrow it.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #112
LuisTX85
Z
 
LuisTX85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15,064
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Yeah But Arnold tweaked it to perfection!

__________________
Z..The Mark of Zorro
LuisTX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #113
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14,703
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Samurai View Post
Arnie as an imprisoned computer hacker who invented some code.


Lol
According to this 50 Cent is the hacker...

http://www.slashfilm.com/first-look-...r-in-the-tomb/

Quote:
Ray Breslin (Stallone) is a structural engineer who is wrongly convicted of a crime. Breslin designed a variety of high tech buildings and was a top structural engineer. After Breslin was wrongly convicted, he was sent to serve his sentence in a maximum security prison of his own design. During his time in prison, Breslin has analyzed every high security prison and gained significant survival skills, but faces his biggest challenge in trying to break out of an ultimate high-tech prison that he himself designed to be escape-proof.

Not only facing the challenge of breaking out of the escape-proof prison, Breslin also has the challenge of battling the ruthless warden Hobbs (Caviezel) and his corrupt guard (Jones). Breslin is assisted in his escape attempt by fellow prisoner Emil Rottmayer (Schwarzenegger). Rottmayer is a wise, soulful and complex inmate who fights with other prisoners to keep their humanity, whilst they are struggling to stay alive. Breslin and Rottmayer will be joined in their escape by a third prisoner that is an expert in computers (50 Cent).

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #114
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick
 
Gold Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,474
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
According to this 50 Cent is the hacker...

http://www.slashfilm.com/first-look-...r-in-the-tomb/

Okay but Arnie is a "Computer Terrorist" who invents some code

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...syOZjJOI#t=54s


This will probably be more believable than Hugh Jackman playing a hacker


Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #115
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14,703
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

50 Cent would've been funnier. It took some time to stop laughing when I read that synopsis.

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #116
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!
 
dude love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Val Verde
Posts: 8,850
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

There's been test screenings. Notably this film is "Definitively rated R" and Stallone and Schwarzenegger will finally fight!

__________________
Bring on Batfleck, Wonder Gal and EisenLuthor!
dude love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #117
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Against each other?

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #118
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!
 
dude love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Val Verde
Posts: 8,850
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Yep. Stallone vs. Schwarzenegger hand to hand.

Here's the whole wall of text review:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Ok gang, I've had some time to digest this movie and will try to discuss it in a spoiler-free fashion.

Before I start:

A. I am shocked that a script of this quality found it's way to Sly. Aside from Cop Land, he has never been involved with a script of such complexity, intelligence or depth. In Cop Land he plays a dim witted cop and in nearly all of his roles, Sly is a blue collar type. This may be the first film of his where he is an intellectual with some sophistication.

B. This movie would have lost a lot of its appeal with Bruce Willis as the lead. I cannot for the life of me understand why he turned this down but I am so glad he did. What Sly brings to this role makes you wish more directors had taken a chance with him earlier in his career. It makes you wish Sly chose his work with more care because The Tomb shows you what he can do in an A-list project. More discussion on this later.

C. Schwarzenegger turning down Sly's role was a good choice since he is a much better fit for the Rottmayer role. Sly demanding Arnie be cast as his ultimatum for making this movie is a stroke of genius really because Arnold is essential to making this film stand out.

D. Whoever wrote this script is a fan of Sly and Arnold, that much is clear because it plays to their strengths with no man outdoing the other (arguably).

E. This is Stallone's movie, make no mistake. He is the lead and while Arnold has a major role and is a co-lead, it's very clear that this is still a Sylvester Stallone film.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>


I don't know where to start, but.....going into this film I didn't really know what to expect, and lets just say it's not at all what I thought I'd get from a Stallone or Arnold film, and I mean that in a good way.

This is an awesome movie. Let's get that out of the way first. You will not be disappointed. Does it have problems? Yes, but much of it can be fixed in post-production. As it stands, this is a very good film and with the right tweaking, could be a great film.

You have never seen Sly like this before. From the character, to his look (acting/clothes), it's a real flesh and blood character that allows Sly the chance to act and be something other than a superhero. He looks great (younger, more natural) and unlike some actors seems to actually be getting better with age if this movie is any indication.

This is his best movie since Cop Land and arguably his best action movie since First Blood. Remember how you felt when you saw Cliffhanger in 1993? How Sly had finally made an action movie that could compete with the quality of Bruce and Arnie's output? Well, The Tomb is a breath of fresh air, just like that film. It not only works as a great action thriller but also has enough dramatic elements and story to appeal to fans outside of the action genre. There is great crossover appeal here because as I said before, it is a big surprise to get this kind of film from Sly and Arnie and it makes them relevant for this generation of movie goers.

This film is not an 80's throwback though there are some subtle nods to it. Do not go into it expecting an 80's nostalgia movie like Expendables or Tango and Cash. There are some buddy elements like "Tango and Cash", but for the most part this is a SERIOUS modern action thriller. As "Imthegame" has pointed out before, both stars need to take roles that are suited for their age and adapt to the way modern action films are being made....Arnold has already heeded that message but I am happy to say, Sly has finally acknowledged this. Ray Breslin is Sly pulling a Liam Neeson/Harrison Ford and essaying an everyman in a more convincing way than he has ever done. While I never bought into his attempts with Gabe Walker or Kit Latura in Cliffhanger and Daylight, this time he pulls it off remarkably well.



Part 2:

This is not a balls to the wall action movie like Rambo or stunt extravaganza like Cliffhanger. It's more of a thriller and spends much of its runtime inside of the prison. There are fisticuffs, some gunplay and an action setpiece, but it is first and foremost a thriller.

I was informed that this was the first screening of the movie and for the most part it's completed. Some minor visual effects shots were missing, temp music score and no credits.

The less you know about the story, the better so I won't linger too much on it. All you need to know is that this movie gives Arnie and Sly the movie they deserve. It's not Face/OFF, but it's the next best thing given their age. Completely unexpected and a surprise with the script and roles of Arnie and Sly. People will be pleasantly surprised and it bodes well for Arnie and Sly segueing outside of the action genre (Sly especially). I could tell that a lot of people were very surprised with Sly. Most casual movie goers generally give Arnie a pass but have a love/hate relationship with Sly. This movie makes him more accessible and human. He's likeable, fun and cool. He proves in The Tomb that he can give us a memorable character outside Rocky/Rambo/Expendables.

The film does not feel cheap, and looks like a nice 60-70 million dollar film with good production values. Modest perhaps, but it makes up for spectacle with sheer starpower and an entertaining story to tell. There are no Avi Lerner-isms to be found in this movie. The director for this film may be a wild card, but he seems to be someone who is light years ahead of anyone Sly has worked with since Donner or Mangold. If anything, The Tomb shows you just how piss poor Avi Lerner has handled Expendables and how good that franchise could be with the right producers and director. We wanted "Heat" and we got our version finally with Arnold and Sly in The Tomb. This absolutely are done justice with this film.

Re: Arnold/Sly: Arnie has the flashier role and he comes off very well. His intro got applause and he had them eating out of his hand the entire time. His one-liners were received very well. Rottmayer is like Dutch Schaeffer meets Harry Tasker. Any doubts about Arnold not being able to translate well to audiences in his 60's or his bad delivery of one-liners in Ex 2, should be forgotten. If anything it proves what working with a good director is like compared to a bad one (West).

Sly and Arnie chemistry is as good as Kurt/Sly, perhaps even better. They work extremely well together and I think it would be a shame for them to not make another project together given what we see in The Tomb.

You get Arnie vs Sly, Arnie teaming up with Sly, bantering and one-upmanship, one-liners,etc. It's a fanboy wet dream....and yes thankfully, we don't get any groan inducing nostalgia (Expendables 2). They have found a much more subtle and clever way to pay homage to these legends without beating a dead horse.

Ray Breslin imho reminds me a bit of Robert Rath meets John Spartan with a dash of Macguyver. He's dead serious most of the time with some brief moments of levity. This character is a thinker and Sly sells it. I think there was a brief moment of hesitation on the audience to buy into Sly being such an intelligent character, but credit to the script and Sly's acting that they pull it off in a convincing way.

Remember how many people complained that Sly came off really fake as Ray Tango with the glasses, suits,etc to try and give his character an air of sophistication and intelligence? Well rest assured, because unlike Tango and Cash, the filmmakers and writer have given Sly a film makeover, presenting him as an intelligent, articulate, and engaging character. Sly delivers on the acting front, giving a memorable performance. He is intense in the right moments and owns his dialogue scenes. There is nothing tentative about his performance and it doesn't feel as self conscious or vanity driven like some of his previous work.

He finally gets it and because of that, Sly compares very favorably to Arnie's performance unlike Tango and Cash where many felt Kurt Russell stole every scene. Arnie might have the more crowd pleasing performance, but Sly's character is the backbone of the film. I don't think he smiles much in this movie and he's the straight man to Arnie in a way, but it works. They both get their moments to shine and Sly is never outdone or blown off the screen by the Oak. If anything, it proves that they really are like Pacino and Deniro in the action world. Two worlds/forces colliding and it feels epic.

Also, this movie is set in the present. There are no futuristic elements to the script but the prison has some neat technology.

Pros:

Sly is great. His best role since Freddy Heflin. There is some substance to this role and he delivers. Those of you who wanted more dramatic elements and something more than a cartoon character from Sly, you have your wish. This role should lead to much better films in the future. Unlike Cop Land, he definitively proves in The Tomb that he can handle a dramatic role with ease and make it memorable.

Arnold is back. I haven't said much about him only because I don't want to spoil his character. He's a blast and has all the wit and fun of Harry Tasker mixed with the cleverness and resourceful nature of Dutch Schaeffer. You don't have to worry about any of the stiffness in his acting/dialogue delivery that we saw in Ex2, he's worked out the kinks and delivers here. Unlike Collateral Damage, Arnie successfully pulls off his own version of the "everyman" like Sly.

Supporting cast are all uniformly good. 50 cent is perfectly serviceable here and is actually quite funny believe it or not. He was well received by the audience.

Great script. It's fun, exciting, relatively intelligent and tells an entertaining story. Good dialogue, one-liners, and twists throughout to keep the audience on their toes. For the most part, everything is explained nicely without being exposition heavy and flashback elements are integrated well into the film.

Good pace. It's never boring and is entertaining throughout. You can tell the director has some skill in crafting thrillers because this film is entirely plot-driven and still manages to be exciting and engaging without getting bogged down in heavy exposition.

A MONUMENTAL surprise for fans of Stallone. This is Sly finally delivering a movie that someone like Arnold, Harrison Ford, etc would have been proud to put their name on in the 90's. This is so far beyond the Expendables which just looks like a cheap b-movie next to this. Most of his action films are blown out of the water by this movie. He's never made a movie quite like this so it's hard to compare it to something like Demolition Man or Cliffhanger, but this is by far his highest quality project since CopLand and it joins First Blood as one of his best ever action films. Like FB, this one has more thriller elements and less spectacle.

Length is 2 hrs and the movie is most definitively rated R. It feels like a complete film unlike Sly's last 4-5 movies...and I can't see this being edited to a pg-13. If they do, I think it will lose much of it's edge. There is some heavy language in this movie and it feels refreshing to hear Sly and Arnold curse like normal human beings again in a film. They both deliver with gusto, particularly Arnie

The film has some nice comedy relief without it hijacking the movie and turning it into a parody (see EX 2). Arnie has some very funny dialogue in the movie and Sly delivers some classic one-liners with a Ray Tango dead pan.

Both Arnie and Sly acknowledge their film personas but slowly move away from them by the end of the film. There is even a line from Arnie about how Sly is smarter than he looks

There is a nod to Get Carter in this.

Cons:

Supporting cast is good but still largely forgettable . They need atleast one other big name in this movie or a scene stealer like John Leguizamo or someone who can chew scenery. The film lacks that and so once the focus shifts ever so briefly away from our heroes, the movie does lose a little momentum.

The Villains are fine if unremarkable. I think Jim Caviezel does a good job but his role is very understated and a bit dull imho. He reminds me a little of Timothy Olyphant in Die Hard 4. Realistic perhaps but lacking any kind of charisma to command the screen. This is the only real weakness I see in the film.

Temp score should be replaced with a more exciting score. Music is vital for a thriller and while the temp score was fine, a good score would help this movie considerably.

Editing could be tweaked a bit more, particularly towards the end which is a little anti-climatic. It just needs something more as the final set piece is cool but not quite as impressive as what you'd expect from these guys. It's a minor nitpick but hopefully they figure out a way to pace that ending better. This is a first screening so there is time to fix this.

Most of the visual effects that were finished looked top notch (high end effects, not Expendables cgi crap) but some unfinished shots remain.

Sly comes close a few times to delivering his lines in the dull monotone of his characters in The Specialist and Assassins but thankfully this is largely avoided. He's very serious and a little bit of attitude or charisma a la Ray Tango could have helped counterbalance Arnie...he does give us that but if I had to nitpick, it's perhaps not as much as I would have liked. Minor complaint though.

Stunt work/set pieces are light aside from a sequence at the end. These guys set the gold standard for that stuff and they do remarkably well given their age but I think some of the younger crowd may have wanted more flashy cgi and setpieces. Might be a case of managing your expectations and knowing what to expect from this film....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So in conclusion, this is a very good movie and hopefully it will be turned into a great film with a little bit of tweaking. All the elements are there to make this one memorable.

Go into this expecting something along the lines of say The Italian Job meets Prison Break, rather than Tango and Cash or Expendables.

The audience I saw it with, ate this film up. Lots of laughs, applause,etc. Arnie killed it. I think Sly will make many new fans with this movie. His persona has never been as accessible as Arnold's but with this movie, he will crossover to the non-action genre fanbase finally. He's very likeable in this which helps considerably. Younger audiences have never seen him play a character like this.

Once The Tomb comes out, it will make stuff like Rambo, expendables, etc feel like a step backward. Sly is going to have to follow Arnold's path and start picking projects with more dramatic elements. No Rest for the Wicked would be the perfect follow up to this movie. All the tarnishing of his reputation with poorly received films and his infamous razzie awards should be significantly rehabilitated with The Tomb because this movie presents him in a new light to non-Sly fans.

Make no mistake, he NEEDS TO WORK WITH A GOOD DIRECTOR. This movie proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt and those who deny this are simply living in a land of dreams. Many of us always felt like Sly was capable of so much more when it came to the films he chose to make and The Tomb is like a vindication for those of us who expected more from him than nostalgia trips and cheap b-movie shlock.

This is Arnie's best movie since True Lies and one of his most memorable characters since Harry Tasker. Arnie fans will be pleased. He goes all out in this movie and just chews scenery left and right. It's a change of pace and a risky role for him in a way, but he pulls it off with aplomb.

Most of the younger people around me were marking off the film in the surveys as "excellent" and thought the movie was, and I quote "f***ing awesome". I saw it with my gf who is a casual fan of Arnold and dislikes Stallone...she came out of the film a Stallone fan. She loved it.

I can't see The Tomb making any less than 70-80 million. There is a decent chance it could break 100 million because this movie will play very well with the Taken/Bourne Identity audience. It's a movie with great crossover appeal. There were teenage girls in the audience who enjoyed the hell out of this flick.

Lastly my rating: In it's current form, I'd give it an 8-8.5 (as an objective film reviewer) with potential for a 9 if the editing,scoring, and vfx are fixed up by next year.

My rating for Sly's last few films from an objective point of view:

EX 2: 6, EX 1 DC: 6.5, Rambo DC: 7.5, Rocky Balboa: 7

__________________
Bring on Batfleck, Wonder Gal and EisenLuthor!
dude love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #119
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Thanks for the review!

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #120
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Very well written and encouraging review. Can't wait!

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #121
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!
 
dude love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Val Verde
Posts: 8,850
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Another one;

Quote:
Just came from what was touted as the first public screening of The Tomb in Los Angeles. Since the release date is nearly a year away, won't get into details/spoilers. It is a fun, popcorn movie with some change of pace characters/performances from Sly and Arnold, they're great together and should do more pictures together. The whole concept and execution reminds you of the oil rig prison sequence in Face/Off. It has solid production values and a nice, recognizable cast. There's a surprising amount of action in it to counter the quiet, cerebral approach Stallone takes to figuring out prisons.

I would say it was more enjoyable than Expendables II based on the notion that it's a real movie, not just a casting concept.

__________________
Bring on Batfleck, Wonder Gal and EisenLuthor!
dude love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #122
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 65,995
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
Yep. Stallone vs. Schwarzenegger hand to hand.

Here's the whole wall of text review:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Ok gang, I've had some time to digest this movie and will try to discuss it in a spoiler-free fashion.

Before I start:

A. I am shocked that a script of this quality found it's way to Sly. Aside from Cop Land, he has never been involved with a script of such complexity, intelligence or depth. In Cop Land he plays a dim witted cop and in nearly all of his roles, Sly is a blue collar type. This may be the first film of his where he is an intellectual with some sophistication.

B. This movie would have lost a lot of its appeal with Bruce Willis as the lead. I cannot for the life of me understand why he turned this down but I am so glad he did. What Sly brings to this role makes you wish more directors had taken a chance with him earlier in his career. It makes you wish Sly chose his work with more care because The Tomb shows you what he can do in an A-list project. More discussion on this later.

C. Schwarzenegger turning down Sly's role was a good choice since he is a much better fit for the Rottmayer role. Sly demanding Arnie be cast as his ultimatum for making this movie is a stroke of genius really because Arnold is essential to making this film stand out.

D. Whoever wrote this script is a fan of Sly and Arnold, that much is clear because it plays to their strengths with no man outdoing the other (arguably).

E. This is Stallone's movie, make no mistake. He is the lead and while Arnold has a major role and is a co-lead, it's very clear that this is still a Sylvester Stallone film.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>


I don't know where to start, but.....going into this film I didn't really know what to expect, and lets just say it's not at all what I thought I'd get from a Stallone or Arnold film, and I mean that in a good way.

This is an awesome movie. Let's get that out of the way first. You will not be disappointed. Does it have problems? Yes, but much of it can be fixed in post-production. As it stands, this is a very good film and with the right tweaking, could be a great film.

You have never seen Sly like this before. From the character, to his look (acting/clothes), it's a real flesh and blood character that allows Sly the chance to act and be something other than a superhero. He looks great (younger, more natural) and unlike some actors seems to actually be getting better with age if this movie is any indication.

This is his best movie since Cop Land and arguably his best action movie since First Blood. Remember how you felt when you saw Cliffhanger in 1993? How Sly had finally made an action movie that could compete with the quality of Bruce and Arnie's output? Well, The Tomb is a breath of fresh air, just like that film. It not only works as a great action thriller but also has enough dramatic elements and story to appeal to fans outside of the action genre. There is great crossover appeal here because as I said before, it is a big surprise to get this kind of film from Sly and Arnie and it makes them relevant for this generation of movie goers.

This film is not an 80's throwback though there are some subtle nods to it. Do not go into it expecting an 80's nostalgia movie like Expendables or Tango and Cash. There are some buddy elements like "Tango and Cash", but for the most part this is a SERIOUS modern action thriller. As "Imthegame" has pointed out before, both stars need to take roles that are suited for their age and adapt to the way modern action films are being made....Arnold has already heeded that message but I am happy to say, Sly has finally acknowledged this. Ray Breslin is Sly pulling a Liam Neeson/Harrison Ford and essaying an everyman in a more convincing way than he has ever done. While I never bought into his attempts with Gabe Walker or Kit Latura in Cliffhanger and Daylight, this time he pulls it off remarkably well.



Part 2:

This is not a balls to the wall action movie like Rambo or stunt extravaganza like Cliffhanger. It's more of a thriller and spends much of its runtime inside of the prison. There are fisticuffs, some gunplay and an action setpiece, but it is first and foremost a thriller.

I was informed that this was the first screening of the movie and for the most part it's completed. Some minor visual effects shots were missing, temp music score and no credits.

The less you know about the story, the better so I won't linger too much on it. All you need to know is that this movie gives Arnie and Sly the movie they deserve. It's not Face/OFF, but it's the next best thing given their age. Completely unexpected and a surprise with the script and roles of Arnie and Sly. People will be pleasantly surprised and it bodes well for Arnie and Sly segueing outside of the action genre (Sly especially). I could tell that a lot of people were very surprised with Sly. Most casual movie goers generally give Arnie a pass but have a love/hate relationship with Sly. This movie makes him more accessible and human. He's likeable, fun and cool. He proves in The Tomb that he can give us a memorable character outside Rocky/Rambo/Expendables.

The film does not feel cheap, and looks like a nice 60-70 million dollar film with good production values. Modest perhaps, but it makes up for spectacle with sheer starpower and an entertaining story to tell. There are no Avi Lerner-isms to be found in this movie. The director for this film may be a wild card, but he seems to be someone who is light years ahead of anyone Sly has worked with since Donner or Mangold. If anything, The Tomb shows you just how piss poor Avi Lerner has handled Expendables and how good that franchise could be with the right producers and director. We wanted "Heat" and we got our version finally with Arnold and Sly in The Tomb. This absolutely are done justice with this film.

Re: Arnold/Sly: Arnie has the flashier role and he comes off very well. His intro got applause and he had them eating out of his hand the entire time. His one-liners were received very well. Rottmayer is like Dutch Schaeffer meets Harry Tasker. Any doubts about Arnold not being able to translate well to audiences in his 60's or his bad delivery of one-liners in Ex 2, should be forgotten. If anything it proves what working with a good director is like compared to a bad one (West).

Sly and Arnie chemistry is as good as Kurt/Sly, perhaps even better. They work extremely well together and I think it would be a shame for them to not make another project together given what we see in The Tomb.

You get Arnie vs Sly, Arnie teaming up with Sly, bantering and one-upmanship, one-liners,etc. It's a fanboy wet dream....and yes thankfully, we don't get any groan inducing nostalgia (Expendables 2). They have found a much more subtle and clever way to pay homage to these legends without beating a dead horse.

Ray Breslin imho reminds me a bit of Robert Rath meets John Spartan with a dash of Macguyver. He's dead serious most of the time with some brief moments of levity. This character is a thinker and Sly sells it. I think there was a brief moment of hesitation on the audience to buy into Sly being such an intelligent character, but credit to the script and Sly's acting that they pull it off in a convincing way.

Remember how many people complained that Sly came off really fake as Ray Tango with the glasses, suits,etc to try and give his character an air of sophistication and intelligence? Well rest assured, because unlike Tango and Cash, the filmmakers and writer have given Sly a film makeover, presenting him as an intelligent, articulate, and engaging character. Sly delivers on the acting front, giving a memorable performance. He is intense in the right moments and owns his dialogue scenes. There is nothing tentative about his performance and it doesn't feel as self conscious or vanity driven like some of his previous work.

He finally gets it and because of that, Sly compares very favorably to Arnie's performance unlike Tango and Cash where many felt Kurt Russell stole every scene. Arnie might have the more crowd pleasing performance, but Sly's character is the backbone of the film. I don't think he smiles much in this movie and he's the straight man to Arnie in a way, but it works. They both get their moments to shine and Sly is never outdone or blown off the screen by the Oak. If anything, it proves that they really are like Pacino and Deniro in the action world. Two worlds/forces colliding and it feels epic.

Also, this movie is set in the present. There are no futuristic elements to the script but the prison has some neat technology.

Pros:

Sly is great. His best role since Freddy Heflin. There is some substance to this role and he delivers. Those of you who wanted more dramatic elements and something more than a cartoon character from Sly, you have your wish. This role should lead to much better films in the future. Unlike Cop Land, he definitively proves in The Tomb that he can handle a dramatic role with ease and make it memorable.

Arnold is back. I haven't said much about him only because I don't want to spoil his character. He's a blast and has all the wit and fun of Harry Tasker mixed with the cleverness and resourceful nature of Dutch Schaeffer. You don't have to worry about any of the stiffness in his acting/dialogue delivery that we saw in Ex2, he's worked out the kinks and delivers here. Unlike Collateral Damage, Arnie successfully pulls off his own version of the "everyman" like Sly.

Supporting cast are all uniformly good. 50 cent is perfectly serviceable here and is actually quite funny believe it or not. He was well received by the audience.

Great script. It's fun, exciting, relatively intelligent and tells an entertaining story. Good dialogue, one-liners, and twists throughout to keep the audience on their toes. For the most part, everything is explained nicely without being exposition heavy and flashback elements are integrated well into the film.

Good pace. It's never boring and is entertaining throughout. You can tell the director has some skill in crafting thrillers because this film is entirely plot-driven and still manages to be exciting and engaging without getting bogged down in heavy exposition.

A MONUMENTAL surprise for fans of Stallone. This is Sly finally delivering a movie that someone like Arnold, Harrison Ford, etc would have been proud to put their name on in the 90's. This is so far beyond the Expendables which just looks like a cheap b-movie next to this. Most of his action films are blown out of the water by this movie. He's never made a movie quite like this so it's hard to compare it to something like Demolition Man or Cliffhanger, but this is by far his highest quality project since CopLand and it joins First Blood as one of his best ever action films. Like FB, this one has more thriller elements and less spectacle.

Length is 2 hrs and the movie is most definitively rated R. It feels like a complete film unlike Sly's last 4-5 movies...and I can't see this being edited to a pg-13. If they do, I think it will lose much of it's edge. There is some heavy language in this movie and it feels refreshing to hear Sly and Arnold curse like normal human beings again in a film. They both deliver with gusto, particularly Arnie

The film has some nice comedy relief without it hijacking the movie and turning it into a parody (see EX 2). Arnie has some very funny dialogue in the movie and Sly delivers some classic one-liners with a Ray Tango dead pan.

Both Arnie and Sly acknowledge their film personas but slowly move away from them by the end of the film. There is even a line from Arnie about how Sly is smarter than he looks

There is a nod to Get Carter in this.

Cons:

Supporting cast is good but still largely forgettable . They need atleast one other big name in this movie or a scene stealer like John Leguizamo or someone who can chew scenery. The film lacks that and so once the focus shifts ever so briefly away from our heroes, the movie does lose a little momentum.

The Villains are fine if unremarkable. I think Jim Caviezel does a good job but his role is very understated and a bit dull imho. He reminds me a little of Timothy Olyphant in Die Hard 4. Realistic perhaps but lacking any kind of charisma to command the screen. This is the only real weakness I see in the film.

Temp score should be replaced with a more exciting score. Music is vital for a thriller and while the temp score was fine, a good score would help this movie considerably.

Editing could be tweaked a bit more, particularly towards the end which is a little anti-climatic. It just needs something more as the final set piece is cool but not quite as impressive as what you'd expect from these guys. It's a minor nitpick but hopefully they figure out a way to pace that ending better. This is a first screening so there is time to fix this.

Most of the visual effects that were finished looked top notch (high end effects, not Expendables cgi crap) but some unfinished shots remain.

Sly comes close a few times to delivering his lines in the dull monotone of his characters in The Specialist and Assassins but thankfully this is largely avoided. He's very serious and a little bit of attitude or charisma a la Ray Tango could have helped counterbalance Arnie...he does give us that but if I had to nitpick, it's perhaps not as much as I would have liked. Minor complaint though.

Stunt work/set pieces are light aside from a sequence at the end. These guys set the gold standard for that stuff and they do remarkably well given their age but I think some of the younger crowd may have wanted more flashy cgi and setpieces. Might be a case of managing your expectations and knowing what to expect from this film....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So in conclusion, this is a very good movie and hopefully it will be turned into a great film with a little bit of tweaking. All the elements are there to make this one memorable.

Go into this expecting something along the lines of say The Italian Job meets Prison Break, rather than Tango and Cash or Expendables.

The audience I saw it with, ate this film up. Lots of laughs, applause,etc. Arnie killed it. I think Sly will make many new fans with this movie. His persona has never been as accessible as Arnold's but with this movie, he will crossover to the non-action genre fanbase finally. He's very likeable in this which helps considerably. Younger audiences have never seen him play a character like this.

Once The Tomb comes out, it will make stuff like Rambo, expendables, etc feel like a step backward. Sly is going to have to follow Arnold's path and start picking projects with more dramatic elements. No Rest for the Wicked would be the perfect follow up to this movie. All the tarnishing of his reputation with poorly received films and his infamous razzie awards should be significantly rehabilitated with The Tomb because this movie presents him in a new light to non-Sly fans.

Make no mistake, he NEEDS TO WORK WITH A GOOD DIRECTOR. This movie proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt and those who deny this are simply living in a land of dreams. Many of us always felt like Sly was capable of so much more when it came to the films he chose to make and The Tomb is like a vindication for those of us who expected more from him than nostalgia trips and cheap b-movie shlock.

This is Arnie's best movie since True Lies and one of his most memorable characters since Harry Tasker. Arnie fans will be pleased. He goes all out in this movie and just chews scenery left and right. It's a change of pace and a risky role for him in a way, but he pulls it off with aplomb.

Most of the younger people around me were marking off the film in the surveys as "excellent" and thought the movie was, and I quote "f***ing awesome". I saw it with my gf who is a casual fan of Arnold and dislikes Stallone...she came out of the film a Stallone fan. She loved it.

I can't see The Tomb making any less than 70-80 million. There is a decent chance it could break 100 million because this movie will play very well with the Taken/Bourne Identity audience. It's a movie with great crossover appeal. There were teenage girls in the audience who enjoyed the hell out of this flick.

Lastly my rating: In it's current form, I'd give it an 8-8.5 (as an objective film reviewer) with potential for a 9 if the editing,scoring, and vfx are fixed up by next year.

My rating for Sly's last few films from an objective point of view:

EX 2: 6, EX 1 DC: 6.5, Rambo DC: 7.5, Rocky Balboa: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
Another one;

__________________
First Blood
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #123
dark_b
Side-Kick
 
dark_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 43,955
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

i am watching this movie even if i get blind.

dark_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #124
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 136,867
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

The early screening feedback sounds promising.

__________________
thinkmcflythink.com
Movie fans, hop in your Delorean and check it out!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #125
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 65,995
Default Re: Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

The Tomb is Now The Escape Plan

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=102685

Quote:
Following yesterday's move of I, Frankenstein from September 13 to January 24, 2014, both Insidious Chapter 2 and Escape Plan (formerly The Tomb) have moved into the vacated date.

Insidious Chapter 2, directed by James Wan, was originally set to open a week later on September 20. Escape Plan, which reunites Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, was originally going to arrive on September 27. The new date puts both projects up against Battle of the Year and Machete Kills as well.

Moving into the September 20 date is the comedy Walk of Shame. Written and directed by Steve Brill, the film stars Elizabeth Banks as an aspiring reporter whose dreams of becoming a network news anchor are compromised after a one-night stand with a handsome stranger (James Marsden) leaves her stranded in downtown Los Angeles without a phone, car, ID or money and only 8 hours to make it to the most important job interview of her life.

Also opening on the 20th are Prisoners and Rush.

Finally, Austenland has been set for a limited release on August 16. It will go up against Kick-Ass 2, The To Do List and the limited releases of Haute Cuisine and Ain't Them Bodies Saints.

__________________
First Blood
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.