The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #26
rdh007
Brit Wannabe

Default Re: Taxes, Wealth and 'Income Redistribution'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanBeyond View Post
Taxation, in a Form of Bribery, Punishment, Awards, or Behavior Control should be abolished.
As opposed to God's personal favorite tax? That is truly behavior control.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Though lessening consumption is probably the best part of that idea

Old 08-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #27
SuBe
Voluntaryist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh007 View Post
As opposed to God's personal favorite tax? That is truly behavior control.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Though lessening consumption is probably the best part of that idea
Yeah, a Tax plan that lets you keep 100% of your paycheck, completely untaxes the poor, promotes job growth, and reduces prices of goods sold abroad so more money flows into our country must be a bad idea.

Anyway, better to possibly lower consuption in our overly indebted country than lessening income.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=290666
or http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=347909

"Everyday that Congress meets, you lose a little bit more of your Liberty"
SuBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #28
MattBearPig
Banned User

So how much will taxes go up for families that bring in a combined low six-figure income (I.E.-$100000-120000)? I'm just curious.

MattBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #29
lazur
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBearPig View Post
So how much will taxes go up for families that bring in a combined low six-figure income (I.E.-$100000-120000)? I'm just curious.
Both candidates claim they won't raise taxes on the middle class, but I stopped listening to the promises of would-be Presidents a long time ago...

lazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #30
SuBe
Voluntaryist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBearPig View Post

Old 08-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #31
Franklin Richards
Banned User

This kind of reminds me of the argument about paying college football players money because they bring income to the school. While art and science students get more and more in debt and usually finish school.

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #32
SuBe
Voluntaryist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Richards View Post
This kind of reminds me of the argument about paying college football players money because they bring income to the school. While art and science students get more and more in debt and usually finish school.

That's silly, I haven't heard that before. Just goes to show what some people's priorities are. In one hand you have sports stars in the other, People that actually help keep this economy afloat, well the science part atleast. Screw art.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #33
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Screw art? Hah. You do realize that without art there would be nothing to strive for in science right?

Hopefully this is just shock value and I've fallen for it once again.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #34
Humphrey Bogart
Side-Kick

Quote:

I hope you don't understand the inner workings of college football. That would make this more understandable.

Humphrey Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #35
Franklin Richards
Banned User

I do understand college football. I live in Texas.

A kid who can catch a football well goes to college for free. He doesn't go to class. He leaves the school for the pro's two years into a four year program.

Another kid shows great potential to be a scientist. He gets about 1 /10th the money the athlete does so he has to take out loans to continue his collegiate career. If he can't get the loan he drops out and goes to work at Wal*Mart.

Did I understand that part?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #36
SuBe
Voluntaryist

Quote:
Screw art? Hah. You do realize that without art there would be nothing to strive for in science right?

Hopefully this is just shock value and I've fallen for it once again.

No, seriously, screw art. Do I want any more money hungery straving artists making me pay them through my tax dollars via the NEA? No.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #37
Humphrey Bogart
Side-Kick

Quote:
I do understand college football. I live in Texas.

A kid who can catch a football well goes to college for free. He doesn't go to class. He leaves the school for the pro's two years into a four year program.

Another kid shows great potential to be a scientist. He gets about 1 /10th the money the athlete does so he has to take out loans to continue his collegiate career. If he can't get the loan he drops out and goes to work at Wal*Mart.

Did I understand that part?

Actually I was refering to the part about College Football being nothing more than buisiness. A kid who can "catch a football" isn't recruited because of his GPA or his SAT scores. Great players bring in more mone, bottom line. You have television contracts worth nearly a billion dollars, endorsements ect. The only thing collegiate about college football is the mascots. But you already know that, after all, you're from Texas.

Humphrey Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #38
Mr Sparkle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanBeyond View Post
No, seriously, screw art. Do I want any more money hungery straving artists making me pay them through my tax dollars via the NEA? No.
ah yes..."screw art" on a superhero messageboard from a guy named "supermanbeyond" makes perfect sense, perfect, perfect sense.

Mr Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #39
SuBe
Voluntaryist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle View Post
ah yes..."screw art" on a superhero messageboard from a guy named "supermanbeyond" makes perfect sense, perfect, perfect sense.
Yes, as long as people are willing to pay for it, it's cool. But, as soon as you want to confiscate wealth to pay for "art", I have a problem with it.

Tell me, is "Ligght" art?

It's a one word poem that the NEA paid $250,000 to the "artist". That's $250,000 of tax payer dollars went to pay for that dribble. Thats enough for a Family to buy a home, or enough for how many people to send their child to college?

Old 08-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #40
Mr Sparkle
Banned User

wow, I guess since you can quote an extreme to make your case anytime you mention "free market" I can just say "Enron" and I win right?

Mr Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #41
Franklin Richards
Banned User

One bad egg doesn't mean we should get rid of the NEA. Fire the guy and get someone who will pay 20 bucks for that piece of crap.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #42
Cosmic
Theosophist

Thumbs up Re: Taxes, Wealth and 'Income Redistribution'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazur View Post
I've seen this subject come up quite a few times, but I don't recall ever seeing a thread dedicated to its discussion.

I find this subject interesting because over the years, as I've grown older and I think wiser, my opinion has been gradually updated by experience; but be warned because this is also one of those subjects on which I lean left of center.

When we talk about 'robbing from the rich to give to the poor' as many conservatives like to call it, we seem to forget our humanity. More importantly, we seem to become entrenched with this notion that financial success is completely the result of 'working hard.'
Yeah, I strongly agree with this. Also, I find it sad that people so commonly believe in the idea that financial success naturally equates to life success in general.

Quote:
I do not believe that rich people should be robbed of their riches. However, I do believe that there is a reasonable limit to what one human being should acquire in wealth when so many other people who also work hard are barely scraping by...

I would argue that a school teacher works harder in a month than five A-list actors work all year, and yet the school teacher who contributes more to society than all A-list actors combined receives about as much in a year as an A-list actor does in a day.

And yet we celebrate the rich and famous. Why? What did they do that was so important that they deserve such notoriety? Sure, The Dark Knight was a great film, but did Christian Bale really deserve more money for six months worth of 'work' than most of us will make in a lifetime? Absolutely not...
Right. At the end of the day, we don't really get paid for the amount or quality of work we produce. Whose interests are best served by the perpetuation of this myth? That being said, I don't blame the rich celebrity or athlete for taking what he's offered, and I don't want to see anyone get robbed.

Quote:
Those who are 'successful' in this country are successful for one reason, and one reason only: Opportunity. Opportunity that someone or something provided to that person. Someone extended an invitation to an audition. Someone liked how you spilled coffee all over the table, and suddenly you're playing Superman on the big screen. The opportunity was right and it allowed someone to become 'successful.' After all, you don't really believe that the CEO of <insert major corporation here> actually 'earns' a million dollar salary, do you? Does that person work harder than a school teacher or a fireman, or his secretary for that matter? No, but because opportunity was provided (perhaps by parents, perhaps by a friend, perhaps because he opened the newspaper that day and saw an ad), that person was able to land a job making millons.

I take myself as a moderate example. I work as a Producer over two major titles for a large gaming company. How I came to find work at this company eight years ago was blind luck. But what I did after I became employed was my own doing. I worked hard and I succeeded. The question I have to ask, though, is what would have happened if that blind luck never happened? Where would I be? Would I still be pulling in a six figure salary or would I have been forced to find work elsewhere that perhaps would not have payed as well?

Thus, I strongly believe that raising the taxes on those who live excessively (mansions, yachts, etc.) is perfectly acceptable in a society and a world filled with people who work JUST as hard, but just not in the same career field. But unfortunately, our government isn't bright enough to use that extra tax money effectively, and so we continue in this cycle of widening the gap between haves and have nots.

People like Neal Boortz whine about taxes all the time. He complains because for every million he makes, the government takes 45%. All I can respond with is BOO FREAKING HOO! I will probably never make a million dollars in less than five years, yet I make enough to live a decent life and provide for my family - which is still more than at least 50% of this country can say, which is also sad. The average salary in this country is something like 25k - 30k a year, which isn't even enough to 'earn a living' and yet Neal Boortz is complaining because he only has 550,000 left over out of a million? I'm sorry, but does he work harder than a store manager at Target, or the nanny who's raising some rich star's kids?

Our country is about capitalism. However, the problem with our country ISN'T capitalism - it's UNREGULATED capitalism. Prices rise each year because someone wants to make more money. Profits and losses take a backseat to private elitism. It's no longer about providing a decent product or service at a reasonable price. Instead, it's about charging 'whatever the market will bear in order to maximize profits,' which of course excludes a good portion of society, since few have any real money. How many people making 30k a year as a police officer get to see a movie even once a month, for example?

Our government ensures capitalism. But our government should also ensure fair capitalism so that people who truly do 'work hard' can experience all of these things that our politicians keep promising, but ultimately fail to deliver.

I'll stop here and wait for comments. I look forward to an interesting discussion on this subject...
Well said. Every day, I dream of a better world, where more people actually care about other people, instead of obsessing over, and priding themselves on...nothing more than their own personal gain.

Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #43
Malice
BMFH
SHH! Administrator

Default Tax Policy

Someone mentioned about Obama's Tax Policy...
So I thought I would look into Obama's and McCain's tax policy.

I went to Obama's website and looked up the Tax Policy...

Reinstate PAYGO Rules: Obama believes that a critical step in restoring fiscal discipline is enforcing pay-as-you-go (PAYGO) budgeting rules which require new spending commitments or tax changes to be paid for by cuts to other programs or new revenue.

I can go with that...Fiscal Responsibility is a great thing.

Reverse Bush Tax Cuts for the Wealthy: Obama will protect tax cuts for poor and middle class families, but he will reverse most of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest taxpayers.

If I remember correctly, the wealthy already pay somewhat like 80% of our taxes....having them tax more is unjust. I am not wealthy, and I dont fall in this category, just doesnt seem right to me. We will sacrifice THEM (because they have money) so you dont have to pay $100 more.

Cut Pork Barrel Spending: Obama introduced and passed bipartisan legislation that would require more disclosure and transparency for special-interest earmarks. Obama believes that spending that cannot withstand public scrutiny cannot be justified. Obama will slash earmarks to no greater than year 2001 levels and ensure all spending decisions are open to the public.

OK works for me. Obama was one of the worst offenders of Pork Barrel spending...

Make Government Spending More Accountable and Efficient: Obama will ensure that federal contracts over $25,000 are competitively bid. Obama will also increase the efficiency of government programs through better use of technology, stronger management that demands accountability and by leveraging the government's high-volume purchasing power to get lower prices.

OK works for me.

End Wasteful Government Spending: Obama will stop funding wasteful, obsolete federal government programs that make no financial sense. Obama has called for an end to subsidies for oil and gas companies that are enjoying record profits, as well as the elimination of subsidies to the private student loan industry which has repeatedly used unethical business practices. Obama will also tackle wasteful spending in the Medicare program.

I am all for stopping wasteful spending. Subidies to oil companies help promote growth, it doesn't just disappear in their pockets. Those monies help keep people employed and embolden them to look for new technologies...etc... If you dont believe me in that one, nothing I will ever say will convince you, so we will stop there.

End Tax Haven Abuse: Building on his bipartisan work in the Senate, Obama will give the Treasury Department the tools it needs to stop the abuse of tax shelters and offshore tax havens and help close the $350 billion tax gap between taxes owed and taxes paid.

Taxes are the reason people use tax shelters...why go for enforcement of taxes when you can change policy and those shelters are no longer needed and will go away themselves?

Close Special Interest Corporate Loopholes: Obama will level the playing field for all businesses by eliminating special-interest loopholes and deductions, such as those for the oil and gas industry.

Again he attacks the oil and gas....I am for trying to make the industry even, lets make it even for all, not just for all but oil and gas. (he has shown a significant affinity for attacking the oil and gas companies)

Enact a Windfall Profits Tax to Provide a $1,000 Emergency Energy Rebate to American Families: Barack Obama will enact a windfall profits tax on excessive oil company profits to give American families an immediate $1,000 emergency energy rebate to help families pay rising bills. This relief would be a down payment on Obama's long-term plan to provide middle-class families with at least $1,000 per year in permanent tax relief

Is Barak this stupid? The moment he increases taxes to these companies, two things will happen. 1) They will start moving their employees oversees...ths causing MORE layoffs...2) The oil company simply passes this onto the person buying...you. Come on...Taxing is NEVER the solution. it may be a great short term solution for a quick income need, but not for any growth, it by definition stifles the economy, and this definately would.

Provide $50 billion to Jumpstart the Economy and Prevent 1 Million Americans from Losing Their Jobs:
This relief would include a $25 billion State Growth Fund to prevent state and local cuts in health, education, housing, and heating assistance or counterproductive increases in property taxes, tolls or fees. Obama’s relief plan will also include $25 billion in a Jobs and Growth Fund to prevent cutbacks in road and bridge maintenance and fund school re*pair - all to save more than 1 million jobs in danger of being cut.

I dont know where he is going with this one. Once again, his idea is lets throw money at a problem...He never thought to tell you, the money he is throwing is yours.

Provide a Tax Cut for Working Families: Obama will restore fairness to the tax code and provide 150 million workers the tax relief they need. Obama will create a new "Making Work Pay" tax credit of up to $500 per person, or $1,000 per working family. The "Making Work Pay" tax credit will completely eliminate income taxes for 10 million Americans.

He will cut our taxes but increase the corps taxes....that is a Win/Lose situation, which in the end for the consumer, means lose.

Eliminate Income Taxes for Seniors Making Less than $50,000: Barack Obama will eliminate all income taxation of seniors making less than $50,000 per year. This proposal will eliminate income taxes for 7 million seniors and provide these seniors with an average savings of $1,400 each year. Under the Obama plan, 27 million American seniors will also not need to file an income tax return.

That is a great idea....remember, the less money the country brings in, the more taxes that are needed. This means you and me will pay more.

Simplify Tax Filings for Middle Class Americans: Obama will dramatically simplify tax filings so that millions of Americans will be able to do their taxes in less than five minutes. Obama will ensure that the IRS uses the information it already gets from banks and employers to give taxpayers the option of pre-filled tax forms to verify, sign and return. Experts estimate that the Obama proposal will save Americans up to 200 million total hours of work and aggravation and up to $2 billion in tax preparer fees.

I am all for simplifying the tax code (I would say goto the Fair Tax, but that is another conversation). Good for Barak!

I have to stop there...I am simply out of time at the moment.
I might try to continue from the Obama site...but I will go thru McCains site also.

Malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #44
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Default Re: Tax Policy

So when are you going to gives us a detailed analysis of the McCain tax policy?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #45
Morg
Hayden addict
SHH! Global Moderator

This was in another board:

Quote:
Interesting comparison......We could be in real trouble
SIMPLE MATH:

2008 PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE COMPARISON TALKING POINTS

Favors new drilling offshore US
JOHN McCAIN Yes BARAK OBAMA No

Will appoint judges who interpret the law not make it

Served in the US Armed Forces

Amount of time served in the US Senate
JOHN McCAIN 22 YEARS BARAK OBAMA 173 DAYS <---you ****ing serious????

Will institute a socialized national health care plan
JOHN McCAIN No BARAK OBAMA Yes

Supports abortion throughout the pregnancy

Would pull troops out of Iraq immediately

Supports gun ownership rights

Supports homosexual marriage

Proposed programs will mean a huge tax increase

Voted against making English the official language

Voted to give Social Security benefits to illegals

CAPITAL GAINS TAX
MCCAIN 0% on home sales up to $500,000 per home (couples). McCain does not propose any change in existing home sales income tax.
OBAMA 28% on profit from ALL home sales. (How does this affect you? If you sell your home and make a profit, you will pay 28% of your gain on taxes. If you are heading toward retirement and would like to down-size your home or move into a retirement community, 28% of the money you make from your home will go to taxes. This proposal will adversely affect the elderly who are counting on the income from their homes as part of their retirement income.)

DIVIDEND TAX
MCCAIN 15% (no change)
OBAMA 39.6% - (How will this affect you? If you have any money invested in stock market, IRA, mutual funds, college funds, life insurance, retirement accounts, or anything that pays or reinvests dividends, you will now be paying nearly 40% of the money earned on taxes if Obama becomes president. The experts predict that 'Higher tax rates on dividends and capital gains would crash the stock market, yet do absolutely nothing to cut the deficit.')

INCOME TAX
MCCAIN (no changes)
Single making 30K - tax $4,500
Single making 50K - tax $12,500
Single making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 60K- tax $9,000
Married making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 125K - tax $31,250

OBAMA (reversion to pre-Bush tax cuts)
Single making 30K - tax $8,400
Single making 50K - tax $14,000
Single making 75K - tax $23,250
Married making 60K - tax $16,800
Married making 75K - tax $21,000
Married making 125K - tax $38,750
Under Obama, your taxes could almost double!

INHERITANCE TAX
MCCAIN - 0% (No change, Bush repealed this tax)
OBAMA Restore the inheritance tax

Many families have lost businesses, farms, ranches, and homes that have been in their families for generations because they could not afford the inheritance tax. Those willing their assets to loved ones will only lose them to these taxes.

NEW TAXES PROPOSED BY OBAMA

New government taxes proposed on homes that are more than 2400 square feet. New gasoline taxes (as if gas weren't high enough already) New taxes on natural resources consumption (heating gas, water, electricity) New taxes on retirement accounts, and last but not least....New taxes to pay for socialized medicine so we can receive the same level of medical care as other third-world countries!!!

You can verify the above at the following web sites:

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/e...008/index.html
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/iss...ues.taxes.html

http://elections.foxnews.com/?s=proposed+taxes
http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourworld/p..._on_taxes.html

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-.../barack_obama/
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-...s/john_mccain/

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #46
Malice
BMFH
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
So when are you going to gives us a detailed analysis of the McCain tax policy?
Give me a little bit....I am working...I am trying to do it now...

Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #47
Malice
BMFH
SHH! Administrator

OK McCain policy....
Lets see, if he lives up to expectations from his website.
(his website is not as easy to run thru...so its taking a few minutes longer)

Keep Tax Rates Low: Entrepreneurs are at the heart of American innovation, growth and prosperity. Entrepreneurs create the ultimate job security - a new, better opportunity if your current job goes away. Entrepreneurs should not be taxed into submission. John McCain will keep the top tax rate at 35 percent, maintain the 15 percent rates on dividends and capital gains, and phase-out the Alternative Minimum Tax. Small businesses are the heart of job growth; raising taxes on them hurts every worker.

I agree, granted I would want a lower tax rate...but at least its not going up.

Cut The Corporate Tax Rate From 35 To 25 Percent: A lower corporate tax rate is essential to keeping good jobs in the United States. America was once a low-tax business environment, but as our trade partners lowered their rates, America failed to keep pace. We now have the second highest corporate tax rate in the world, making America a less attractive place for companies to do business. American workers deserve the chance to make fine products here and sell them around the globe.

That is a big benefit. Corporations make business decisions based off tax liability nowadays, not on what is good for the business. That is a shame, this may help to reduce that decision making. The less the tax, the move the companies will stay here, or possibly move back to the us.

Allow First-Year Deduction, Or "Expensing", Of Equipment And Technology Investments: American workers need the finest technologies to compete. Expensing of equipment and technology will provide an immediate boost to capital expenditures and reward investments in cutting-edge technologies.

Frankly, I cant honestly comment on this one. This looks to make it easier in the paying for new and improved equipment for new businesses, if that is what I am reading correctly...

Establish Permanent Tax Credit Equal To 10 Percent Of Wages Spent On R&D: This reform will simplify the tax code, reward activity in the United States, and make us more competitive with other countries. A permanent credit will provide an incentive to innovate and remove uncertainty. At a time when our companies need to be more competitive, we need to provide a permanent incentive to innovate, and remove the uncertainty now hanging over businesses as they make R&D investment decisions.

From all I have read, the US is lacking in innovation and this, from what I read, looks like it might help. I am not an economist, but I am not sure how much 10% will really translate to.

Ban Internet Taxes: John McCain believes we must make a farsighted, robust, and fervent commitment to innovation and new technologies to sustain our global competitiveness, meet our national security challenges, achieve less costly and more effective health care, reduce dangerous dependence on foreign sources of oil, and raise the quality of education in the United States. John McCain has been a leader in keeping the Internet free of taxes. As President, he will seek a permanent ban on taxes that threaten this engine of economic growth and prosperity.

I am all for this.

Ban New Cell Phone Taxes: John McCain understands that the same people that would tax e-mail will tax every text message - and even 911 calls. John McCain will prohibit new cellular telephone taxes.

I never heard this one before...its an interesting thought, honestly...I dont think it encompasses much.

All in all, I support the McCain Economic policies more. McCain needs a few more to give is depth....but the big one, corporate taxes is there...
Then of course the taxes on the citizens, which I dont see...

Old 09-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #48
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice View Post
All in all, I support the McCain Economic policies more. McCain needs a few more to give is depth....but the big one, corporate taxes is there...
Then of course the taxes on the citizens, which I dont see...
I could have told you this a week ago.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #49
Malice
BMFH
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I could have told you this a week ago.
ok....and...?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 AM   #50
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I mean, this thread reeked of a "Lets show why Obama sucks" thread from the first post. You're probably as bias as Lazur is at this point.

Also, this probably didn't need it's own thread in the first place.