The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 04-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #51
SurfDUI
Banned User

Default Re: New Clip at Apple.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Do you know anything about Stark? Have you ever read any of the earlier comics?
Clearly not

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosef982 View Post
I absolutely hate , nor does it capture any.

Iron Man has never been a

The composer, whatever his name is, whose credits included "fantastic" shows

I feel like I'm listening to. Superhero films need to have

Ugh, such a pity that this movie will only.
Commin after Richard Roper's job huh-I don't think he's worried. Such a wordy response that tries to be eloquently structured. Ah well-

IRON MAN

comming soon

SurfDUI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #52
Seen
It's Been Seen

Quote:
I absolutely hate the music and I don't think it fits for a sophisticated playboy like Tony Stark, nor does it capture any tonality worth noting.

Iron Man has never been a "bright" or "upbeat" character. At best, he's been cynically optimistic.

The composer, whatever his name is, whose credits included "fantastic" shows like Prison Break, Blade: The Series, and Blade: Trinity (yeah, right...), really dropped the ball.

I feel like I'm listening to the music of a car commercial. Superhero films need to have fitting scores, moving scores that capture the awe of their journey.

Also, Tony Stark -- forty-years old -- acting like a 5 year-old boy is a little annoying and has taken part in now 2 clips, of him saying "wooahhh, wahhh, oh awesome!"

Ugh, such a pity that this movie will only be watchable on mute.
Agreed.

Seen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #53
Matthew Allison
Side-Kick

Man, this is going to be a fun, fun movie. I can't wait for May 2nd to roll around.

Matthew Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #54
bosef982
Side-Kick

Hey guys,

I'm just expressing my distaste for the score.

Honestly, I just don't think it captures the spirit of the character. Also, if they went with the earlier versions of Iron Man, I don't personally feel that they picked the most relevant and particularly engaging version of the character to follow.

I think the cynical, love-to-hate, love-to-love Tony Stark is much more engaging than the quasi-happy boy in a man's world Tony Stark that Favreau seems to be going with.

Iron Man to me has never been about wonder or fun. It's about the sobering reality that one man needs to take responsibility for what he's wrought on the world, and eventually, take responsibility for being one of the most powerful and intelligent minds in the world.

I just don't get that feeling here. It's like intelligence in superheroes is unattractive.

Think of the most intelligent superheroes: Batman, Reed Richards, Xavier, Banner, Tony Stark...to name a few.

Batman still is awaiting a depiction that shows how smart -- not just handy -- he is.

Reed Richards got it in FF4, but that's like putting a diamond in a fake gold ring.

Banner is still awaiting it. And, after reading Norton's script, he's still relying on other people's intelligence to solve his problems...not his own.

And Tony Stark really doesn't seem to be showing any. He seems handy. However, it may come through in other aspects of the movie. I always liked the Tony Stark that could take a cocktail napkin and scribble down the specs and designs for an army of Mark IV suits while also having a drink with a board member.

That itself is a unique sort of humor, but also a great telling character moment.

Two Films, One Review, No Holds Barred.
Comic books, fantasy, drama, romantic comedy -- all are put to task!

bosef982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #55
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDUI View Post
Clearly not

Commin after Richard Roper's job huh-I don't think he's worried. Such a wordy response that tries to be eloquently structured. Ah well-

IRON MAN

comming soon
So you deleted most of my words and...

Old 04-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #56
Rocker22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hey guys,

Honestly, I just don't think it captures the spirit of the character. Also, if they went with the earlier versions of Iron Man, I don't personally feel that they picked the most relevant and particularly engaging version of the character to follow.

I think the cynical, love-to-hate, love-to-love Tony Stark is much more engaging than the quasi-happy boy in a man's world Tony Stark that Favreau seems to be going with.

Iron Man to me has never been about wonder or fun. It's about the sobering reality that one man needs to take responsibility for what he's wrought on the world, and eventually, take responsibility for being one of the most powerful and intelligent minds in the world.

I just don't get that feeling here. It's like intelligence in superheroes is unattractive.

Think of the most intelligent superheroes: Batman, Reed Richards, Xavier, Banner, Tony Stark...to name a few.

Batman still is awaiting a depiction that shows how smart -- not just handy -- he is.

Reed Richards got it in FF4, but that's like putting a diamond in a fake gold ring.

Banner is still awaiting it. And, after reading Norton's script, he's still relying on other people's intelligence to solve his problems...not his own.

And Tony Stark really doesn't seem to be showing any. He seems handy. However, it may come through in other aspects of the movie. I always liked the Tony Stark that could take a cocktail napkin and scribble down the specs and designs for an army of Mark IV suits while also having a drink with a board member.

That itself is a unique sort of humor, but also a great telling character moment.
Let's say it happens.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #57
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker22 View Post
Let's say it happens.
I'll be very happy and proven wrong about my initial impressions of the film.

I am very stoked to see this film too, mainly because of its caliber of actors.

However, the score begs pause about the tone of the movie. I was hoping for something a bit more traditional, along the lines of the Bourne movies maybe. Something that has an electronic feel to it, but still has a sort of recognizable cohesive whole working under it.

So far, these just sound like random guitar riffs similar to those used in Ottman's "Chasing the Surfer" cue. This worked for that moment, sort of, but it was also functioning in a different movie's tone. I do not think that Iron Man should have anything similar in tone to a Fantastic Four movie at all.

So that's why it begs me pause. Namely, because the score seems to insinuate that sort of tone, which for me is grossly inappropriate for this character.

Now, if we do get a sobering picture of Tony Stark taking responsibility and struggling with the guilt (after all, this guy's pushed to alcoholism eventually and this is one of his Hallmark moments; it is the Dark Phoenix Saga of Iron Man), then I think we need to see that guilt clearly established in his identity -- even the Spider-Man movies, for better or worse, were able to balance humor with somber responsibility.

So, we'll see what happens. If nothing else, this movie will be a visual treat and be quite a ride. Also, the runtime actually gives me hope that this is NOT a Fantastic Four movie. Also, I have a feeling that Marvel would not bomb on their very first independently released motion picture.

So I have some hope. But the score dampens it just a teeny bit.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #58
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Clearly not

IRON MAN

comming soon
And also, if you looked at my posts, you'd see that most of them are typically very well structured. I'm not trying.

Thanks though,

Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #59
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Well I hope we could finally get a big super hero score for this movie, but so far yeah, I haven't really heard it.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #60
DeathRaven
Another soul for sale

Damn that was awesome! This movie keeps looking better and better with each thing we get.

My art work
http://majorpain.deviantart.com/
DeathRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #61
echostation
Banned User

I think they screwed up on the music but boy the film looks killer in general!!!

echostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #62
SurfDUI
Banned User

Quote:

However, the score begs pause
Elfman can't do them all,
Were just getting pieces until it drops.

SurfDUI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #63
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Bosef is mostly correct. The problem with the score isn't that it's rock-inspired--that's fine. The problem is that it's bad. It sounds cheap and borderline trashy.

Moreover, with each bit of footage from this film, I become more and more concerned that it's nothing but fluff. Sure, it looks like a lot of fun, but popcorn fluff isn't what I want to see from an Iron Man movie. I would really, really like to see some indication that the is some intelligent thought in this movie, rather than a lot of "Whoo, armour and explosions!"

Don't get me wrong--armour and explosions and fun are important. But so are the thematic foundations of modern Iron Man; posthuman advancement, human morality, and Tony Stark's responsibility to the world as the man who is supposed to make the future happen. I see no indication of any of this, except one hasty line about "protecting the people." I really, really, hope the tone of the trailers does not reflect the tone of the film, because they are 100% fluff, and that is not Iron Man.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #64
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Bosef is mostly correct. The problem with the score isn't that it's rock-inspired--that's fine. The problem is that it's bad. It sounds cheap and borderline trashy.

Moreover, with each bit of footage from this film, I become more and more concerned that it's nothing but fluff. Sure, it looks like a lot of fun, but popcorn fluff isn't what I want to see from an Iron Man movie. I would really, really like to see some indication that the is some intelligent thought in this movie, rather than a lot of "Whoo, armour and explosions!"

Don't get me wrong--armour and explosions and fun are important. But so are the thematic foundations of modern Iron Man; posthuman advancement, human morality, and Tony Stark's responsibility to the world as the man who is supposed to make the future happen. I see no indication of any of this, except one hasty line about "protecting the people." I really, really, hope the tone of the trailers does not reflect the tone of the film, because they are 100% fluff, and that is not Iron Man.
Agreed.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #65
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I don't think there is anything wrong with bosef discussing his points. His concerns certainly sound valid, and he does an excellent job of expressing them.

I mean I hope the movie doesn't turn out to be another Ghost Rider or FF, and it has some gravitas to it.

At the end of the day, no matter what you complain about the X-men films, I liked the first one because it felt SERIOUS to me.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #66
Radio_Clash
Side-Kick

I like the theme it doesn't overpower the action like orchestra style themes do.

Radio_Clash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #67
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
[FONT=Georgia]Commin after Richard Roper's job huh-I don't think he's worried. Such a wordy response that tries to be eloquently structured. Ah well-
It's funny that whenever someone complains about a well-written post, it's always with some line about "trying to sound intelligent," or "working too hard," or whatever else.

What makes you think it takes effort?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #68
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
HA! Weird thing is, it reminded me of something Chaplin would do...
Now that you mentioned that, I agree. Downey played Chaplin, right?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #69
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

Quote:
Hey guys,

Honestly, I just don't think it captures the spirit of the character.
Dude, HE WAS FLYING FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME IN HIS LIFE! Not even multibillionaires in real life can fly like Stark did. What were you expecting to hear in the background? The Funeral March?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #70
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dev Adam View Post
Dude, HE WAS FLYING FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME IN HIS LIFE! Not even multibillionaires in real life can fly like Stark did. What were you expecting to hear in the background? The Funeral March?
LMAO!!

Apparently they want a somber Tony Stark with funeral music playing in the background.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #71
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

It's Iron Man, not Iron Emo.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #72
Saint
The Devil's Robot

It's really hilarious when people don't even try to understand the comment being made.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #73
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
It's really hilarious when people don't even try to understand the comment being made.
I understand your worries. All I can say is I read the novelization and it wasn't all fluff as you put it.

There just showing all these action scenes to get asses in the seats. If anything I honestly felt the story was lacking in action, what they had felt waaay too short. Others who read the novelization might disagree with me but from a long time Iron man comic fan I wished there was a bit more action...not a lot but a bit more.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #74
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmanJ View Post
I understand your worries. All I can say is I read the novelization and it wasn't all fluff as you put it.
Well, novelizations and their tones can differ considerably--especially when it comes to fluff, because action and explosions don't translate well by themselves; they have to be filled out in the narrative.

And, of course, for all I know you have a very different standard of what constitutes too much fluff. In any case, I certainly hope you're right.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #75
Tempest19
Banned User

It's tone is Iron Man.

It's drama is similar to Batman Begins. It takes Iron Man a good hour to appear in the gray. Perhaps slightly less.

There is humor. But, the humor fits the personality. He's sarcastic. He's a wise-ass type guy. Sometimes reminds me of a nicer Gregory House.

There aren't many action sequences. You have the escape, the revenge & meeting the jets and the final fight. I'd say on par with Batman Begins as well. It doesn't come off as a very oriented movie. In fact, imo, there could be MORE action sequences. But, they're good scenes- so it works.

Tony Stark, like MANY SOLDIERS, listens to rock music to calm him down. I've heard stories of men going into war blasting "Let the Bodies hit the floor." The revenge scene with rock music reminded me very much of these stories and accounts.

Iron Man is not a classic hero. He's first heavy metal hero. He's sarcastic. He's cool. He has a lot on his hands and a certain feeling of guilt and self that he has to constantly wrestle with, but still manages to keep his cool and calm. This is what separates him from the pack.

Tony doesn't know how to fly so the first flying (as shown) was a thrilling experience for him because it was living life on the edge. He actually didn't even intend to wear the Mach suit originally since he didn't know the fundamentals of flying. So for him this is a very new and difficult, yet exciting experience. Downey captures that.

Saying this film is fluff is like saying Batman Begins is fluff. Hell, Bruce even was somewhat sarcastic! "Does it come in black?" "A man dressing up as a bat-" etc. Same kind of sarcasm and excitement. Same number of action sequences. Higher focus on characterization and drama. As I said if there's one flaw it's there's not enough action rather than there being too much. Unless you consider taking off into the sky and crash landing moments later an action sequence akin to Bruce just driving the Tumber around the garage area.

All information from novelization.

Note on specific 'light' scenes:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Iron Man is not publicly known until the very end of the film. The "hero" press conference is the final scene of the film with a certain twist unlike any other superhero movie to date! For the most part. Really leaves the door open with what they can delve into with the sequel.

Last edited by Tempest19; 04-08-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Tempest19 is offline   Reply With Quote