The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 04-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #101
ironwez20
Side-Kick

Default Re: New Clip at Apple.com

im starting to get the feeling that they show mark 2 iron man way more than they do the mark 3 armor

Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #102
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivsguy616 View Post
He did read, comprehend, and argue cogently against your posts.

Oh, is that so? Let's look at the argument so far:

I said that the film seems to focus too much on humour with little relevant or intelligent thought, nor any connection to the themes of modern Iron Man, which is to say posthumanity, human and technological ethics, futurism, and Tony's responsibility as the beginning of the posthuman movement. Iron Stark, in response, complained that I want "Iron Emo." This indicates a critical and fundamental misunderstanding of everything I have said, since none of my comments indicate any interest in "Iron Emo," but rather in a film that takes itself seriously and reflects the relevant themes of modern Iron Man comics.

Next, I also said that I was not pleased with the score--I clarified that rock is fine (in two separate posts), but that this music in particular was bad. Iron Stark responded that I want a "funeral march" playing in the background, once again indicating that he A) did not read my argument, or B) did not understand it.

Next, Iron Stark claimed I want Stark to be "depressed all the time," despite the fact that no such sentiment appears in any of my posts, and all I have asked for is a film that takes itself seriously and is thematically comparable to modern Iron Man.

But you think he understood my points, do you? Perhaps you didn't read or understand them, either. You also claim that he argued capably against my points--which is hilarious, because the points he argued against were points I never made (such as "Iron Emo," "Funeral music,"), and the closest thing to an argument he made was that "It's just a trailer, you guys!"

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.

Last edited by Saint; 04-09-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #103
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

You fail to realise that paraphrasing is an adequate form of referance

Lol, people like you never give up with your linear thought processes. You'll probably even reply giving out about this too, further proving the point and loosing even more credibility.

Shivsguy616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #104
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Oh, is that so? Let's look at the argument so far:

I said that the film seems to focus too much on humour with little relevant or intelligent thought, nor any connection to the themes of modern Iron Man, which is to say posthumanity, human and technological ethics, futurism, and Tony's responsibility as the beginning of the posthuman movement. Iron Stark, in response, complained that I want "Iron Emo." This indicates a critical and fundamental misunderstanding of everything I have said, since none of my comments indicate any interest in "Iron Emo," but rather in a film that takes itself seriously and reflects the relevant themes of modern Iron Man comics.
My Iron Emo wasn't just aimed at you but at everyone wanted a Batman/Bourne type serious character which Tony Stark just isn't. Again, Favreau from the very begining said they were going for a James Bond/Indiana Jones type. Sarcastic, witty and dry humor.

Favreau is basing this Stark from the early issues, not the current DOS post Civil War Stark.

Quote:
Next, I also said that I was not pleased with the score--I clarified that rock is fine (in two separate posts), but that this music in particular was bad. Iron Stark responded that I want a "funeral march" playing in the background, once again indicating that he A) did not read my argument, or B) did not understand it.

Next, Iron Stark claimed I want Stark to be "depressed all the time," despite the fact that no such sentiment appears in any of my posts, and all I have asked for is a film that takes itself seriously and is thematically comparable to modern Iron Man.

But you think he understood my points, do you? Perhaps you didn't read or understand them, either. You also claim that he argued capably against my points--which is hilarious, because the points he argued against were points I never made (such as "Iron Emo," "Funeral music,"), and the closest thing to an argument he made was that "It's just a trailer, you guys!"
Again, my comments weren't aimed at you, but in general. Going by the trailer, yes this does come off as a humorous movie that doesn't take itself seriously, but after reading the book, all the humor and one-liners are pre-captured Stark. After the escape, Stark will be more serious. There is a good balance of humor and seriousness like the Indy and Bond movies.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #105
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
My Iron Emo wasn't just aimed at you but at everyone wanted a Batman/Bourne type serious character which Tony Stark just isn't.
So you were talking to nobody? The only person mentioning Batman is you, and Bosef only mentioned the Bourne movies as an example of balancing spectacle with character and theme.

Quote:
Again, Favreau from the very begining said they were going for a James Bond/Indiana Jones type. Sarcastic, witty and dry humor.
Which has what, exactly, to do with anything I've said?

Quote:
Favreau is basing this Stark from the early issues, not the current DOS post Civil War Stark.
Which does not necessitate fluff or the absence of any of the elements I'm talking about; Stark is fundamentally the same today as he ever was, and depicting an early Iron Man does not mean abandoning the theme and tone of modern Iron Man. See the flashback sequences in Extremis as an example.

Extremis is pretty much the perfect example for everything Iron Man.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #106
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
You fail to realise that paraphrasing is an adequate form of referance
When the paraphrasing entirely misrepresents the content, spirit, and purpose of what is being referenced, no, I would not call it "adequate" at all.

Quote:
further proving the point and loosing even more credibility.
Ah, yes: I am the one "losing credibility." Where'd you find those rose-coloured lenses?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #107
Figs
Side-Kick

I must jump in though, in Extremis, as great as it is...he doesn't have the exact same personality as he did in the original run. I also don't mean original as in only what Lee or Kirby worked on.

All the issues I have including all 4 of the Marvel Masterworks, Tony, although he isn't always joking does throw out some one liners here and there.

I already have a feeling the people judging it early are going to have the typical outcome of hating it once they see it since they already seem to be gearing their minds in that direction.

All I know is I love the comics, new and old and have read the novelization. I liked the story and how everything was worked in so it's safe to say I'm going to like the movie. If you don't like it, all I can say is well that sucks for you I guess.

The only way this film will be a lot of "fluff" is if it heavily steers away from the novelization...which is based directly from the script.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #108
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmanJ View Post
I must jump in though, in Extremis, as great as it is...he doesn't have the exact same personality as he did in the original run. I also don't mean original as in only what Lee or Kirby worked on.

All the issues I have including all 4 of the Marvel Masterworks, Tony, although he isn't always joking does throw out some one liners here and there.
He joked in Extremis. The specific example I can think of is in the first issue when he's speaking to the secretary on the phone. Granted. he was a little less witty than usual, but that was appropriate given the story.

Quote:
I already have a feeling the people judging it early are going to have the typical outcome of hating it once they see it since they already seem to be gearing their minds in that direction.
Conversely, your next paragraph indicates you have already decided to like it and are "gearing your mind" in that direction. It's not a fair assessment in either case.

To be perfectly clear, I never said I don't expect it to be good--I'm just worried it's fluff. The trailers are awesome (though I prefer the teaser simply by virtue of it being the only one that alludes to something beyond fluff, with the "Finally know what I have to do" line), and I'm thrilled the movie has come out more faithful than I could have imagined, but that doesn't mean I can't be concerned that it's going to be nothing but a popcorn movie, as the trailers suggest. I certainly hope they are misleading me. I like popcorn movies just fine, but they are not my preference and I especially would have preferred more from Iron Man.

Oh, and the music sounds terrible. Hopefully that, too, is a symptom of the clip and not the entire film.

Last edited by Saint; 04-09-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #109
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
So you were talking to nobody? The only person mentioning Batman is you, and Bosef only mentioned the Bourne movies as an example of balancing spectacle with character and theme.

Which has what, exactly, to do with anything I've said?

Which does not necessitate fluff or the absence of any of the elements I'm talking about; Stark is fundamentally the same today as he ever was, and depicting an early Iron Man does not mean abandoning the theme and tone of modern Iron Man. See the flashback sequences in Extremis as an example.

Extremis is pretty much the perfect example for everything Iron Man.
I couldn't agree more. I cannot think of one incarnation of Tony Stark that resembles "Indiana Jones." Perhaps James Bond, albeit with a higher IQ and much more money, but certainly not Indiana Jones.

And therein lay the fundamental flaw: say someone was doing Spider-Man, and they said we're going to paint Peter Parker as a mix of...Indiana Jones and James Bond. What would we say?

"What does Indiana Jones or James Bond have anything to do with Spider-Man? Why wouldn't you just mix Spider-Man as a mix of 'Peter' and "Parker?'"

What Favreau's doing is fundamentally lazy. Instead of constructing Tony from the ground up, delving into creating a unique, complex character, he goes for a hybrid of two irrelevant culture icons?

How does this make sense to you?

Since when has Tony Stark gone off looking -- routinely -- for ancient artifacts? When has he been a collegiate simpleton who finds himself whisked into a dangerous, mythical world where his wits are surprisingly up to the challenge? And where has Indiana Jones had to deal with the responsibility of creating weapons of mass destruction and forced to make amends with his past and his company's sin?

These ideas of accountability, technology, responsibility, and ethics have ALWAYS been at the core of Iron Man. Look at his origin? His origin is inseperable from ideas of accountability and technology and the military industrial establishment.

Your problem is, most people's problem is, that Iron Man, for the most part, has never been a happy go-lucky character. He's not exactly emo or depressed (thought I think describing Jason Bourne as "emo" shows a gross oversimplification or a pathetic misunderstanding of that character and probably alludes to the reasons why I'd disagree with people on Iron Man). However, Iron Man is serious, somber, and adult. He's mature, of course he has a playboy nature, but it's a cynical and dark playboy nature.

Look at the Iron Man cartoon: that show didn't even treat Iron Man as an upbeat, happy go-lucky character. He was still rather serious, his adventures fantastic but also relevant to the military and to his senses of responsiblity.

And one does not have to go to the post-Civil War days to find a dark Iron Man. Jesus Christ, the man was an alcoholic flying his suit around drunk! Does that smack of Indiana Jones to you?

What you have is a character foundation that's based on an premise of error: Tony Stark is not Indiana Jones or James Bond -- he's Tony Stark, a complex military industrialist who returns from a near-death experience, permanently scarred both mentally and physically, and realizes that he must use his genius for good.

Throwing up gang signs with soldiers and talking about Myspace isn't Tony Stark. The closest I see is him saying "To Peace" but then I am utterly flabbergasted at him, later on, saying he's okay being called a Merchant of Death...??? What?!! That's the entire reason he's come back -- to not be that. Unless of course this occurs in the ten minutes before his capture.

This movie just seems to miss the point in favor of having fun. I don't agree with that.

So far, this movie is for me like dating a hot person. Often times you meet someone, they're gorgeous, and then they start talking and you just grimace. That's my feeling here. It looks great and is very attractive, but once it opens its mouths...it's a horrid disappointment.

Two Films, One Review, No Holds Barred.
Comic books, fantasy, drama, romantic comedy -- all are put to task!

Last edited by bosef982; 04-09-2008 at 05:47 PM.
bosef982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #110
omid17
Side-Kick

Mark 2 is soo badass, and i love how the suit talks to Stark

avy by kane52630
omid17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #111
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

Quote:
When the paraphrasing entirely misrepresents the content, spirit, and purpose of what is being referenced, no, I would not call it "adequate" at all.

Ah, yes: I am the one "losing credibility." Where'd you find those rose-coloured lenses?
Lol, interesting how you edited the quote to make you seem slightly less stupid

Old 04-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #112
explode7
Banned User

Have some respect n00b.

explode7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #113
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Lol, interesting how you edited the quote to make you seem slightly less stupid
A staggering reubuttal! "Oh yeah, well.. UR STOOPID!" Oh, I am vanquished!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #114
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by explode7 View Post
Have some respect n00b.
I don't see why the amount of time he or I have been here should be a factor.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #115
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Oh for F***S sake, you two just have to be right huh?

Quote:
Since when has Tony Stark gone off looking -- routinely -- for ancient artifacts? When has he been a collegiate simpleton who finds himself whisked into a dangerous, mythical world where his wits are surprisingly up to the challenge? And where has Indiana Jones had to deal with the responsibility of creating weapons of mass destruction and forced to make amends with his past and his company's sin?
Is Indiana Jones not a bull*****ter? Does he not come off as witty character? Does he not make one liners, does he not have a dry sense of humor?

THATS HOW TONY STARK IS. Of course he's not goingt to be looking for treasure.

Quote:
Your problem is, most people's problem is, that Iron Man, for the most part, has never been a happy go-lucky character
YES he has, seriously have you read the early stuff or just know him by his recent events, a few graphic novels and that 90s cartoon?

Quote:
And one does not have to go to the post-Civil War days to find a dark Iron Man. Jesus Christ, the man was an alcoholic flying his suit around drunk! Does that smack of Indiana Jones to you?
Again, obviously don't know squat about Tony Stark. He was created in 1963, the alcholism didn't start until about 1978/79 - 1985/86. read the stuff 15 years before he started being a drunk.

Almost like asking why don't ther have Joker shoot and cripple Barbara Gordon in the Dark Knight.

Quote:
Throwing up gang signs with soldiers and talking about Myspace isn't Tony Stark. The closest I see is him saying "To Peace" but then I am utterly flabbergasted at him, later on, saying he's okay being called a Merchant of Death...??? What?!! That's the entire reason he's come back -- to not be that. Unless of course this occurs in the ten minutes before his capture.
That's exactly what happens, the "To peace", the gang sign, the BSing with the reporter, that's PRE-capture Tony Stark. When he returns he's not anything like that.

Quote:
This movie just seems to miss the point in favor of having fun. I don't agree with that.

So far, this movie is for me like dating a hot person. Often times you meet someone, they're gorgeous, and then they start talking and you just grimace. That's my feeling here. It looks great and is very attractive, but once it opens its mouths...it's a horrid disappointment.
But it "hasn't talked yet" ony whispered to you, wait until the damn movie comes out before "kicking her out of bed."

Iron Man will return
Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #116
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

"And one does not have to go to the post-Civil War days to find a dark Iron Man. Jesus Christ, the man was an alcoholic flying his suit around drunk! Does that smack of Indiana Jones to you?"

This is the final nail. You obviously don't know much about the character. The alcoholism started in the late 70's. Tony Stark was created in the early 60's.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #117
Cosmic
Theosophist

Th Frown Re: New Clip at Apple.com

Quote:
That's exactly what happens, the "To peace", the gang sign, the BSing with the reporter, that's PRE-capture Tony Stark. When he returns he's not anything like that.
It's pretty sad that this needed to even be explained to anyone. It just goes to show how eager some people here are to jump to conclusions without even knowing what they're talking about.

Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #118
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't know that IRON MAN has completely forgotten about the key themes. I'm just not sure to what extent they will be in the movie. For instance, if Tony's "accountability and responsibility" themes are reduced to "Oh no, my technology fell into the hands of Obadiah Stane and now he's The Iron Monger and I have to save the people", that just won't be sufficient. It needs to go beyond that, to have worldwide implications. This man, this captain of industry, this "merchant of death", needs to realize just how much of an impact he has on the world. The movie seems to point to the fact that he begins as something of a carefree wastrel who uses his weapons deals to make him rich and infamous, and changes his approach after his capture and becoming Iron Man. That's fine, and that can be a valid way to go. But it needs to be done tastefully, with some depth. Simply going from "I don't care who gets hurt" to "I want to protect people" just isn't going to cut it in terms of that depth.

And as far as Iron Man's humor...Tony Stark doesn't just crack any old joke, and he never (when he's written well) has. He's too smart for that. I don't see the kind of humor I'm used to seeing from Stark. I don't see the cynical, political and business side of his humor. I see a much simpler brand of humor in play here. "No gang signs", things of that nature.

I'm still reserving judgement overall until I see the movie, but the trailer shows a side of Stark that points to a bit of reinvention to the character.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #119
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I don't know that IRON MAN has completely forgotten about the key themes. I'm just not sure to what extent they will be in the movie. For instance, if Tony's "accountability and responsibility" themes are reduced to "Oh no, my technology fell into the hands of Obadiah Stane and now he's The Iron Monger and I have to save the people", that just won't be sufficient. It needs to go beyond that, to have worldwide implications. This man, this captain of industry, this "merchant of death", needs to realize just how much of an impact he has on the world. The movie seems to point to the fact that he begins as something of a carefree wastrel who uses his weapons deals to make him rich and infamous, and changes his approach after his capture and becoming Iron Man. That's fine, and that can be a valid way to go. But it needs to be done tastefully, with some depth. Simply going from "I don't care who gets hurt" to "I want to protect people" just isn't going to cut it in terms of that depth.

And as far as Iron Man's humor...Tony Stark doesn't just crack any old joke, and he never (when he's written well) has. He's too smart for that. I don't see the kind of humor I'm used to seeing from Stark. I don't see the cynical, political and business side of his humor. I see a much simpler brand of humor in play here. "No gang signs", things of that nature.

I'm still reserving judgement overall until I see the movie, but the trailer shows a side of Stark that points to a bit of reinvention to the character.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #120
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh for F***S sake, you two just have to be right huh?

Is Indiana Jones not a bull*****ter? Does he not come off as witty character? Does he not make one liners, does he not have a dry sense of humor?

THATS HOW TONY STARK IS. Of course he's not goingt to be looking for treasure.

YES he has, seriously have you read the early stuff or just know him by his recent events, a few graphic novels and that 90s cartoon?

Again, obviously don't know squat about Tony Stark. He was created in 1963, the alcholism didn't start until about 1978/79 - 1985/86. read the stuff 15 years before he started being a drunk.

Almost like asking why don't ther have Joker shoot and cripple Barbara Gordon in the Dark Knight.

But it "hasn't talked yet" ony whispered to you, wait until the damn movie comes out before "kicking her out of bed."
Okay, so you're funny.

You can't just pick one period; you have to amalgamate and find the totality of the character.

Look at Nolan: Nolan is clearly attracted to the Dennis O'Neil period of Batman, yet he incorporated Miller's conventions, along with some of Kane's inventions, in creating the hero. He examined Batman as a total entity or character, not as some anachronism that's restricted to a particular decade of time.

That's just plain stupid and basically ensures that you craft a character that bears no resemblance to its modern counterpart or even has real-world present relevance. Characters tend to change within their respective worlds to complement the times...if this was 1960, I'd be all for crafting a 1960s Iron Man. But we are far, far beyond that period of time and just like we don't have Batman fighting stereotypical Italian Mobsters or Superman battling the mad scientists of the day or the Japanese in World War II, so to we should not have Iron Man of the 60s.

Things evolve. It'd be nice to notice that and not try to use a defunct time period as a poor veil to cloud Favreau's laziness with this character and preference for cheap jokes and gimmicks. SO IT SEEMS

Quote:
"And one does not have to go to the post-Civil War days to find a dark Iron Man. Jesus Christ, the man was an alcoholic flying his suit around drunk! Does that smack of Indiana Jones to you?"

This is the final nail. You obviously don't know much about the character. The alcoholism started in the late 70's. Tony Stark was created in the early 60's.
Bang-bang. Okay? yeah, refer to my above description. It's not that I deny that Stark has been "comical" at times, I am simply saying that the character, taken in his totality, does not resemble that era, nor has that era's Iron Man existence outweighed the predominant other interpretations.

So, there...back from the dead!

Last edited by bosef982; 04-09-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #121
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
LOL!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #122
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Quote:
You can't just pick one period; you have to amalgamate and find the totality of the character.

Look at Nolan: Nolan is clearly attracted to the Dennis O'Neil period of Batman, yet he incorporated Miller's conventions, along with some of Kane's inventions, in creating the hero. He examined Batman as a total entity or character, not as some anachronism that's restricted to a particular decade of time.

That's just plain stupid and basically ensures that you craft a character that bears no resemblance to its modern counterpart or even has real-world present relevance. Characters tend to change within their respective worlds to complement the times...if this was 1960, I'd be all for crafting a 1960s Iron Man. But we are far, far beyond that period of time and just like we don't have Batman fighting stereotypical Italian Mobsters or Superman battling the mad scientists of the day or the Japanese in World War II, so to we should not have Iron Man of the 60s
This character is an amalgamation, Lee, Kirby and Heck's care free personality, Michellinie and Layton's alcohol problem, and after reading the novel he's also got the modern personality when he's going after the insurgents in the middle east and battling Stane.

So Favreau is a lazy writer and director now? LOL. How many movies have you written, directed and starred in?
You remind me of the internet tough guys that talk crap on the computer after an MMA or boxing match or any sporting event talking about how they would've done it and criticize the participants of said matches.

Quote:

No, it's not just about his technology falling into the wrong hands. Trust me it he does realize just how much of an impact he has on the world, that's the reason for him going back to the middle east and seaks revenge on the insurgents that took over the village.

I guess you were up in arms when Bruce Wayne was cracking that "A man how dress like a bat..." joke or when he jumped into the pool with the European models or when he was BSing with L. Fox and Alfred, because clearly Bruce should never crack jokes or act like a frat boy that jumps into pools with thier clothes on.

Again, this will be the last time I post this, the myspace reference, the Too Peace, the gang sign, it's all pre capture Stark, anyother time when he returns, the few times he's out in public, it's all a front when he cracks a joke.

His behavior when he's around Pepper, Rhodey and a few others that know him on a personal level is completely different when he returns.

Remeber the reporter he was being a cock SOB to?

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?vid=152335

Iron Man will return
Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #123
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
He joked in Extremis. The specific example I can think of is in the first issue when he's speaking to the secretary on the phone. Granted. he was a little less witty than usual, but that was appropriate given the story.

Conversely, your next paragraph indicates you have already decided to like it and are "gearing your mind" in that direction. It's not a fair assessment in either case.

Nope, your wrong right there. I was also having a decent amount of worries about how the film would come out as well...until I read the novelization.

Now I know you were saying things change from novels to film, and you from what I can remember focused on mood and characterization(it might have been Bosef, can't fully remember) in that example. From having worries like you to now having read the novel, a lot of those worries have been put to rest for me.

To be perfectly clear, I never said I don't expect it to be good--I'm just worried it's fluff. The trailers are awesome (though I prefer the teaser simply by virtue of it being the only one that alludes to something beyond fluff, with the "Finally know what I have to do" line), and I'm thrilled the movie has come out more faithful than I could have imagined, but that doesn't mean I can't be concerned that it's going to be nothing but a popcorn movie, as the trailers suggest. I certainly hope they are misleading me. I like popcorn movies just fine, but they are not my preference and I especially would have preferred more from Iron Man.

Honestly, although I do in fact want there to be some good heart/character and even important messages in comic films just like the comic...I also realize that the comics are also heavily on the popcorn fun side as well. To me it's always been 50/50 if not 70/30 with the comics(and thus the films) being popcorn fun/deep. It's because of that, that I don't want the comic films to be all depth and no fun whatsoever.

Oh, and the music sounds terrible. Hopefully that, too, is a symptom of the clip and not the entire film.
Well I myself love rock/hard rock and metal so it's not a problem for me and like others, I do believe it fits the character. We already know for a fact that there is going to be an actual score as well, so don't write the entire soundtrack off just yet.

If you see the film and the actual score is bad to you as well then so be it.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #124
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
This character is an amalgamation, Lee, Kirby and Heck's care free personality, Michellinie and Layton's alcohol problem, and after reading the novel he's also got the modern personality when he's going after the insurgents in the middle east and battling Stane.

So Favreau is a lazy writer and director now? LOL. How many movies have you written, directed and starred in?
You remind me of the internet tough guys that talk crap on the computer after an MMA or boxing match or any sporting event talking about how they would've done it and criticize the participants of said matches.

No, it's not just about his technology falling into the wrong hands. Trust me it he does realize just how much of an impact he has on the world, that's the reason for him going back to the middle east and seaks revenge on the insurgents that took over the village.

I guess you were up in arms when Bruce Wayne was cracking that "A man how dress like a bat..." joke or when he jumped into the pool with the European models or when he was BSing with L. Fox and Alfred, because clearly Bruce should never crack jokes or act like a frat boy that jumps into pools with thier clothes on.

Again, this will be the last time I post this, the myspace reference, the Too Peace, the gang sign, it's all pre capture Stark, anyother time when he returns, the few times he's out in public, it's all a front when he cracks a joke.

His behavior when he's around Pepper, Rhodey and a few others that know him on a personal level is completely different when he returns.

Remeber the reporter he was being a cock SOB to?

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?vid=152335
Okay, see, I want us all to learn a valuable lesson from this post.

Previous to this, I was discussing the movie, the character, and the director and his team.

Here, with your question of "how many films have you directed, etc.?" You've taken your rebuttal from the general points I've outlined in my argument and made it personal. And personal in a very idiotic way, I must say.

For the past 2,000 years critics, scholars, and audiences have critiqued drama without necessarily being creators themselves. Aristotle, the man who is considered the genesis of what we hold as traditional, and effective, narrative scholar was not a celebrated playwright, director, or actor. Yet, his works in Poetics are the basis for any dramatic narrative theory.

The ability to create does not necessarily preclude someone from the right to criticize. It's how and why one's criticize that colors the legitimacy of their ideas.

But if you must know, I have not worked in the industry. I'm studying in film school. So, here, as a graduate student, I've directed two short films, wrote two short films that were produced and developed by other directors, and I recently finished developing a script with a producer on the Great Debaters for this school's thesis film, which I then did on-set writing and recently finished pick-ups. All of these films are currently circulating festivals and the thesis film is possibly being considered for a student oscar by the Academy.

I just got back from London after staging a play over there. I'm about to go down to the Oslo Theater in Sarasota to put on a ten minute play. And I'm currently working with other graduate students in the theater department to put on a full one-act play next year, which will be put on and then talk-backed.

I've written three full-length portfolio scripts. Three one-act plays. Four ten minute plays.

Now, granted, this is all mainly school work and I'm not arrogant enough to call myself a firm professional -- trust me, I know. But you asked and it begs some questions concerning how we learn and also examines the notion that school gives you a great ability to work with established professionals in the industry and also work in the festival circuit.

It's also a great way to learn narrative structure, which is the core basis of any discussion.

I also list these because of experience in this genre, in any way, shape, or form, is a prerequsite for legitimate criticism, I have a feeling that even my school work gives me a better credibility than yours.

But then, on the other hand, I don't necessarily agree that experience allows someone to criticize a movie -- or even discuss a comic book character.

But I just wanted to play your game since you wanted to personally attack me.

In addition, I can only say it seems this movie isn't being faithful to the potential of this character. That's my initial and final point, something you guys really haven't refuted the best way possible.

Now I will grant you some leeway since you've read the novel. That's fine. However, I read the Spider-Man 2 novel and it went into areas I didn't think the movie hit.

So, whatever.

Don't personally attack me.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #125
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

Quote:

I'm not the one who can't spell.