The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 04-12-2008, 02:27 AM   #26
Juha
Maybe I should retire

Default Re: first look at iron man movie on nick

That clip was so cool and Downey Jr. is hilarious! Although I already regret watching that clip because the movie is so close that there's no sense in spoiling the scenes for youself whatsoever.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #27
Knightsaber Priss
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironwez20 View Post
what do you mean no evidence just watch nickelodeon and see,and fine i wont use internet speak on the actual internet anymore jeez
Just stop getting so snippy. Not all of us are young enough to understand Internet Speak you know. Me, I'm 35 and remember when computer technology was in its infancy. We never had internet speak. They were just computers not a lifestyle. Just take a chill pill and remember to use proper English on message boards like this that have Old Timers in it.

Anyways, I just love how Tony asks the one robot not to douse him when he's not on fire. That might not be the emo, post Demon In A Bottle Tony Stark, but it's the authentic reaction you'd get from a real person in the same situation.

"I know what you would say, and it would seem like wisdom, but for the warning in my heart." Frodo Baggins - Fellowship of the Rings

I have changed. Things that I once wanted are now but a distant memory forever cloaked in the shadows of the twilight of the past.
Knightsaber Priss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #28
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

I like the clumsy experimentation on flying, RDJ really conveys how scared and awkward youd really feel doing a test like this, my only problem is now Im REALLY beginning to get the "too many jokes" feel out of this movie... Dont get me wrong, Im NOT saying this should be dark or something, but its all a balancing act, when you push too hard for laughs, youre not believing the story and the characters, and not having faith in the audience. Ideally, its like a movie like the first two Spider-Man or the first two Superman, where you have a mix of everything: drama, action, comedy, romance, suspense...

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #29
Kent
The Lord of Thwipp

Very good clip. RDJ really sells it. Plus, I actually like the music.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #30
Knightsaber Priss
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatefan View Post
I like the clumsy experimentation on flying, RDJ really conveys how scared and awkward youd really feel doing a test like this, my only problem is now Im REALLY beginning to get the "too many jokes" feel out of this movie... Dont get me wrong, Im NOT saying this should be dark or something, but its all a balancing act, when you push too hard for laughs, youre not believing the story and the characters, and not having faith in the audience. Ideally, its like a movie like the first two Spider-Man or the first two Superman, where you have a mix of everything: drama, action, comedy, romance, suspense...
I'm adopting a wait and see attitude about this. Maybe they're just showing us the lighthearted moments first so as not to scare potential uninitiated moviegoers away with too much darkness. Plus they might be doing this to show Joe Public Robert Downey Jr.'s lighthearted side to deflect their thoughts of his past legal difficulties.

"I know what you would say, and it would seem like wisdom, but for the warning in my heart." Frodo Baggins - Fellowship of the Rings

I have changed. Things that I once wanted are now but a distant memory forever cloaked in the shadows of the twilight of the past.
Knightsaber Priss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #31
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Well look where they put the clip, on Nickelodeon(sp) in front of Spongebob or whatever, I really doubt they'd put a dark scene where he's being held captive by the terrorists with blood seeping out of his bandages or a scene where he's he's boozing it up with hot models or a another adult themed scene.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #32
samsnee
Side-Kick

The music in this clip was much better than the one on the apple site.

samsnee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #33
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Well look where they put the clip, on Nickelodeon(sp) in front of Spongebob or whatever, I really doubt they'd put a dark scene where he's being held captive by the terrorists with blood seeping out of his bandages or a scene where he's he's boozing it up with hot models or a another adult themed scene.
Hope youre right.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #34
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Quote:
Hope youre right.
We can save the Ang Lee Hulk psychodrama for the sequel when he starts hitting the creature. His first outing should be more fun.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #35
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Hope youre right.
After reading the novel there's a good balance of seriousness and humor. Hopefully Favreau keeps it that way, this isn't a full on action comedy like Rush Hour.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #36
NoirMan82
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think that's the case here. Humor really fits into Stark's personality. As long as the humor is there when it's appropriate, I'm fine. So far it seems that when scenes need to be more serious, like starks capture or his fight with Iron Monger, things get very dark, so there is a balance. I think Marvel is just trying to keep it fun without going to FF levels with it.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #37
blk_spidey
New Goblin

Default Re: 2-minute Iron Man clip from Nick at Nite

the clip it's awesome! i like that robot watching tony!

Rest In Peace Michael Jackson- The King Of Pop!
You will be missed.
Rest In Peace Heath Ledger.
blk_spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #38
Bubonic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
That makes perfect sense to me, a huge chunk of the audience is going to be kids, and possibly the kids parents.
So if this was marketed in too grim a way, it would cut out a big portion of the cash.

Bubonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #39
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha View Post
That clip was so cool and Downey Jr. is hilarious! Although I already regret watching that clip because the movie is so close that there's no sense in spoiling the scenes for youself whatsoever.
My thoughts exactly. Watched it. Loved it. But then kicked myself for being impatient.

It's like, the only superhero movie i've ever gone into nearly completely blind, was the first Spider-Man movie, and it was such a blast not knowing what was going to happen next....

Damn, my lack of willpower, lol...

Old 04-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #40
BobJM
Who's Bad?

I went into the first two X-Men films and two Spider-Man films completely blind...

Then I joined SHH.

BobJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #41
NoirMan82
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic View Post
That makes perfect sense to me, a huge chunk of the audience is going to be kids, and possibly the kids parents.
So if this was marketed in too grim a way, it would cut out a big portion of the cash.
You're absolutely right, Bubonic. One thing that has hurt the returns of films like Batman Begins and X2: X-Men United is that they weren't marketed as kid friendly (which I loved) I don't think IM is either, but the folks at Paramount are making it seem that way to get some strong box office returns. I think this movie looks like obvious fun and excitement for people of all ages, and that's why I predict a 70-80 million dollar opening weekend for IM.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #42
bosef982
Side-Kick

Um, the music was better in this one, I must say. I actually liked certain cues and phrases.

And overall, the humor didn't necessarily bother me until the "second" joke -- beat a dead horse -- about the extinguishers, and at the end when it's about to douse him and like a pet he goes, "Na-ah-ah-ah-ah." It's just so...I don't know: juvenile. I also hated the "YIKES!" -- what is he? Seven years-old?

Taken as a total, I haven't seen one clip -- ONE CLIP -- that doesn't have Stark jesting or being a jokester. He. Is. Not. Spider-Man.

This is really only confirming my initial belief that Stark is going to be some happy-go-lucky wise-ass joke-cracking fool for most of the film, both in and out of the suit.

I mean, some of the humor's justified, some of it's not.

I'm going to dive back into my Iron Man comic books and get a feel for this because the one line about donating you to a college actually reminds me a bit of Ultimate Iron Man.

We'll see...maybe this is a promotional thing, or maybe we're witnessing the single greatest flaw of this movie.

EIther way, at least the music sounded good.

Two Films, One Review, No Holds Barred.
Comic books, fantasy, drama, romantic comedy -- all are put to task!

Last edited by bosef982; 04-12-2008 at 12:58 PM.
bosef982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #43
Rocker22
Side-Kick

Glad you like the music more now.

And you will see there is a point in the movie where he isn't such a wise cracking fool and realizes that something must be done.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #44
ironwez20
Side-Kick

im not angry,

Old 04-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #45
The Guard
Side-Kick

Ok, so he's trying out his jets. For two minutes. He just floats around and makes the same joke repeatedly. It's kind of funny the first time and then...I dunno. I have to say I agree with Bosef and the others who are recognizing the obvious so far: They've turned him into a comedian. Tony Stark may be funny, but he's not neccessarily supposed to be a comedian. So far, it looks like every single scene Stark has to be the funny guy...even when there's no one there.

As Bosef said, some of the humor is justified...some of it is not. Pounding at us every two seconds with a new "funny moment" is not the right tone.

But we'll see.

The "suiting up" looked cool as hell.

Can't argue that.

Cool. As. Hell.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 04-12-2008 at 02:34 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #46
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosef982 View Post
Um, the music was better in this one, I must say. I actually liked certain cues and phrases.

And overall, the humor didn't necessarily bother me until the "second" joke -- beat a dead horse -- about the extinguishers, and at the end when it's about to douse him and like a pet he goes, "Na-ah-ah-ah-ah." It's just so...I don't know: juvenile. I also hated the "YIKES!" -- what is he? Seven years-old?

Taken as a total, I haven't seen one clip -- ONE CLIP -- that doesn't have Stark jesting or being a jokester. He. Is. Not. Spider-Man.

This is really only confirming my initial belief that Stark is going to be some happy-go-lucky wise-ass joke-cracking fool for most of the film, both in and out of the suit.

I mean, some of the humor's justified, some of it's not.

I'm going to dive back into my Iron Man comic books and get a feel for this because the one line about donating you to a college actually reminds me a bit of Ultimate Iron Man.

We'll see...maybe this is a promotional thing, or maybe we're witnessing the single greatest flaw of this movie.

EIther way, at least the music sounded good.

No S*** he's not Spider-Man, none of his jokes really felt like Spider-Man jokes.

Stark has always cracked jokes in the comics...you know what...almost every Marvel character has throughout their history. The only difference is Spider-Man is the one know for doing it more while fighting and using cheesy ones as well.

As for the second joke, you people seriously need to lighten up. That wasn't nearly as bad, cheesy or childish as jokes/lines we've gotten in past comic films. Beating a dead horse?? With an opener/warning then a closer at the end?? No, beating a dead horse would in fact be if he mentioned something about the extinguisher a fourth or fifth time. He warns the machine once, it starts to put him out so he starts going off on it. I don't see how that can be seen as beating a dead horse.

I just call it like I see it and frankly some of you just have no sense of humour and don't seem to want any humour what so ever in these films. Which, if you want to get down to facts and bringing these properties to film with accuracy...no humour would actually stray from most of the characters I've read over the years.

I understand if you guys want these comic films to be super epic and serious dramatic/action pieces...which I think is part of that fanboy fear of the general audience not liking it thinking it's silly thus fanboys get bitter because they still look like dorks in the end since what they're into got shunned again by the GA.

It's just none of these comics were that epic and crazy super adult drama filled...ever. Yes there were serious and dramatic times, like in Demon in a Bottle but it still had Stark joking here and there.

If these comic films were all made to be incredibly serious like a 'real life' type drama they wouldn't be as recognizable in comparison to the comics.

Last edited by Figs; 04-12-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #47
ironwez20
Side-Kick

i love how the robot tries to douse him everytime

Old 04-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #48
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I think whenever a live action version of a comic or animated series is brought to the light, diehard fans want a "serious" take on it for some reason. Transformers, as goofy as the show was, fanboys griped about it being comedic in about 1/2 of it, but the show itself was that goofy at times. Look at most of Iron Man's comics and covers, from the mid 60's till now, with the exception of some of the Civil War stuff and the Demon Bottle arcs, he's always been a smarmy playboy type..that's just how he is. He's already a celebrity, the public probably knows him as a smart ass.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #49
DACMAN
The Spidey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPider-T0rch View Post
dude there's a reason why your last thread got closed. besides, we're not gonna try to see a preview that we don't even have evidence for. something like this really doesnt need a thread of its own.
HAHAHA!!!! Whoever posted this got owned!

SPIDEY QUIPS SONY! JUST ASK BENDIS AND WATCH!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
DACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #50
Spider-Bat
BATMAN

finally watched the Clip. So good and funny without being campy, like some Marvel movies have done or just awkward.

I hope the whole movie is good.

Marvel needs a good solid movie. Ghostrider was not that great, Spidey 3 fell apart, X-Men 3 was crap although Beast was cool.

And Ironman and The Hulk look really good though. I think TDK will be the big winner this summer but Ironman will be close.

Alfred: "Know your limits, Master Wayne."
Bruce Wayne: "BATMAN has no limits."

Spider-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote