Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 04-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #51
Spider-Bat
BATMAN

Default Re: 2-minute Iron Man clip from Nick at Nite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironwez20 View Post
i love how the robot tries to douse him everytime
That was funny and his interaction with it was perfect.

Alfred: "Know your limits, Master Wayne."
Bruce Wayne: "BATMAN has no limits."

Spider-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #52
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmanJ View Post
No S*** he's not Spider-Man, none of his jokes really felt like Spider-Man jokes.

Stark has always cracked jokes in the comics...you know what...almost every Marvel character has throughout their history. The only difference is Spider-Man is the one know for doing it more while fighting and using cheesy ones as well.

As for the second joke, you people seriously need to lighten up. That wasn't nearly as bad, cheesy or childish as jokes/lines we've gotten in past comic films. Beating a dead horse?? With an opener/warning then a closer at the end?? No, beating a dead horse would in fact be if he mentioned something about the extinguisher a fourth or fifth time. He warns the machine once, it starts to put him out so he starts going off on it. I don't see how that can be seen as beating a dead horse.

I just call it like I see it and frankly some of you just have no sense of humour and don't seem to want any humour what so ever in these films. Which, if you want to get down to facts and bringing these properties to film with accuracy...no humour would actually stray from most of the characters I've read over the years.

I understand if you guys want these comic films to be super epic and serious dramatic/action pieces...which I think is part of that fanboy fear of the general audience not liking it thinking it's silly thus fanboys get bitter because they still look like dorks in the end since what they're into got shunned again by the GA.

It's just none of these comics were that epic and crazy super adult drama filled...ever. Yes there were serious and dramatic times, like in Demon in a Bottle but it still had Stark joking here and there.

If these comic films were all made to be incredibly serious like a 'real life' type drama they wouldn't be as recognizable in comparison to the comics.
Hey, listen, read my post. I'm being rather open-minded and malleable. I'll give credit where it's due.

I don't mind the jokes, I really don't. I like the first one, the last one actually is pretty funny to. I love Downey's serious as Tony, he seems like he's "in command." I just HATE the "YIKES" but it's not that bad...overall, this is the best clip I've seen.

And I really like the music I'm hearing in this one; especially when he flies back up in the corner and also when he "pencil's" out and lands. I just don't know if the jokes work --- either way, Downey's pulling them off.

Two Films, One Review, No Holds Barred.
Comic books, fantasy, drama, romantic comedy -- all are put to task!

Last edited by bosef982; 04-12-2008 at 10:04 PM.
bosef982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #53
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosef982 View Post
Hey, listen, read my post. I'm being rather open-minded and malleable. I'll give credit where it's due.

I don't mind the jokes, I really don't. I like the first one, the last one actually is pretty funny to. I love Downey's serious as Tony, he seems like he's "in command." I just HATE the "YIKES" but it's not that bad...overall, this is the best clip I've seen.

And I really like the music I'm hearing in this one; especially when he flies back up in the corner and also when he "pencil's" out and lands. I just don't know if the jokes work --- either way, Downey's pulling them off.

Sorry if I read into your post wrong.

I'll give you the "YIKES" though, that doesn't bother me too bad but I wouldn't mind if it were removed.

I also agree that Downey is pulling them off, I like how he's saying most of them with that dry serious tone a lot of the time. Those lines I guess could turn out bad if they were acted out in a different way.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #54
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Seeing way too many jokes. Im sure there are dramatic scenes, but I would like to see some to get a feel for how their going to play out in the movie.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #55
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sorry if I read into your post wrong.

I'll give you the "YIKES" though, that doesn't bother me too bad but I wouldn't mind if it were removed.

I also agree that Downey is pulling them off, I like how he's saying most of them with that dry serious tone a lot of the time. Those lines I guess could turn out bad if they were acted out in a different way.
Oh absolutely.

But this clip actually gave me a lot of hope and I did some re-reading of some earlier comics and also of the Iron Man Ultimate and there is a certain sort of humor there that'll I'll give people. So I may have been a bit wrong overall...

So far, there are some things I love about this film.

One, the FX. Two, the casting.

I love when Stark says "to peace with his drink" that is classic Stark humor.

I also like most of his dialogue here. I guess the last joke just seems a tad redundant, the two first ones about the thing are pretty funny though.

But overall, Downey's going to carry this film.

Slowly, I'm being converted.

Also, I'd just like to be a tad arrogant and note that, unlike many posters here, I can change my mind when new info is given to me.

Like I said, I'm stoked for this movie -- Hell, I just bought a damn action figure and I'm 25! -- but, I'm also just cautious. We've been burned so many times with these movies.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #56
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Seeing way too many jokes. Im sure there are dramatic scenes, but I would like to see some to get a feel for how their going to play out in the movie.
Honestly, there is a difference between humor, sarcasm, and jokes.

For the most part, this clip shows sarcasm and humor, not a joke. A joke is the freeze-frame in Spider-Man 2. A joke has a punchline.

His first line is sort of humorous...in a sarcastic way. It belittles city colleges, in a sort of off-color way. I think why it comes off as cheesy is that you have him talking to a robot, which I'm still sort of "eh" about myself.

It's definitely light-hearted. But there is also a way to justify that...he's doing what he loves, being a genius, and hiding himself in his technology; the construction of his armor is sort of a catharsis for him, sort of like jogging or playing raquetball.

If I'm thinking of how Favreau directed these beats, he probably told Downey that this is Stark as a child, reverting from his trauma as an adult to the period of time where he was simply a care-free genius inventor, this coupled with the proactivity of actually doing something naturally leads to him being slightly-light...although I do feel there is a very nuanced serious tone going on in Tony.

I'm beginning to suspect I may have judged this movie too harshly initially.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:51 AM   #57
Devil
Banned User

But...At 1:36 minute...Is an orchestral version of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man"?

Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #58
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

Default Re: first look at iron man movie on nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
After reading the novel there's a good balance of seriousness and humor. Hopefully Favreau keeps it that way, this isn't a full on action comedy like Rush Hour.
Yeah, thatīs all Iīm asking for, i got nothing against the character having a sense of humor or doing some wisecracks per se, itīs just a balance matter, really.

And itīs about how good the joke is, also. I would have minded the humor in Ghost Rider a lot less if there wasnīt so much of the "hey bonehead" and "that thick skull of yours" variety. I really like the Tony speech to the troops, for instance, the humor in there is witty and very much in character.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #59
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Quote:
Honestly, there is a difference between humor, sarcasm, and jokes.

For the most part, this clip shows sarcasm and humor, not a joke. A joke is the freeze-frame in Spider-Man 2. A joke has a punchline.

His first line is sort of humorous...in a sarcastic way. It belittles city colleges, in a sort of off-color way. I think why it comes off as cheesy is that you have him talking to a robot, which I'm still sort of "eh" about myself.

It's definitely light-hearted. But there is also a way to justify that...he's doing what he loves, being a genius, and hiding himself in his technology; the construction of his armor is sort of a catharsis for him, sort of like jogging or playing raquetball.

If I'm thinking of how Favreau directed these beats, he probably told Downey that this is Stark as a child, reverting from his trauma as an adult to the period of time where he was simply a care-free genius inventor, this coupled with the proactivity of actually doing something naturally leads to him being slightly-light...although I do feel there is a very nuanced serious tone going on in Tony.

I'm beginning to suspect I may have judged this movie too harshly initially.
True, but using the light hearted humor as a character trait could still turn out to be lame in the end, if theres too much of it. I just dont see how the story can be very compelling if we never have a sense of danger or peril for Tony.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #60
Prefix
Banned User

When promoting a superhero movie, you don't show quiet and serious scenes because people expect action, special effects and humour from summer blockbusters. So showing a clip of Tony brooding just won't attract attention. You show them things that make them laugh or looks cool, so that it stays in their mind.

This is why all we are seeing is jokes and Iron Man action.

Prefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #61
Isildurīs Heir
What are you looking at?

I just saw it and.........iīm glad you guys liked it, personally, i thought it was rather stupid.

First of all, itīs extremely badly filmed, it looks like he is testing the flying propulsion in a damn corridor, you have no sense of space.
Second, why is he testing it in the underground garage and in front of the cars?
Either is because they want to show Stark is rich and has a lot of sport cars, no matter how stupid that is; or is because they wanted the "funny" bit of having Stark flying above the cars and burning the painting.

All in all, i really want to say good thing about it all, i just canīt...

Old 04-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #62
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

^Good night, ladies and germs.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #63
bosef982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildurīs Heir View Post
I just saw it and.........iīm glad you guys liked it, personally, i thought it was rather stupid.

First of all, itīs extremely badly filmed, it looks like he is testing the flying propulsion in a damn corridor, you have no sense of space.
Second, why is he testing it in the underground garage and in front of the cars?
Either is because they want to show Stark is rich and has a lot of sport cars, no matter how stupid that is; or is because they wanted the "funny" bit of having Stark flying above the cars and burning the painting.

Well, Islidur, you know me and you know how you and i have similar sentiments, but I'd have to remind you that we saw a clip.

A director/DP will usually establish geography in the first few shots of a space. So, if we've already seen this place we don't need neccessarily a closed or open frame to be established...so i think that may a bit harsh.

The bit about him building it about his cars is noted and just accepted as being there for whatever reason. I kind of assume he's made this a makeshift garage...b/c he's also trying to keep this on the DL.

But, we shall see.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #64
Polux
Side-Kick

Iīd if ruined my carīs painting like that (specially, THOSE cars) Iīd deffinitely (sp?) "yikes" too....

RDJ is great, and thatīs great acting, not overly powerfull emotional scenes, but just a guy being himself acting in a completely natural manner.

Polux

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #65
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

The TBS clip was also cool, we get to see how Ironman/Stark talked through the helmet

rhodes- what's all that noise?

stark-i'm in my car

LOL

Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #66
Rocker22
Side-Kick

There was a TBS clip?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #67
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Like I said, I'm stoked for this movie -- Hell, I just bought a damn action figure and I'm 25! -- but, I'm also just cautious. We've been burned so many times with these movies.

I know what you mean, X-3, Spider-Man 3 and Ghost Rider all gave me a kick in the balls.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #68
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildurīs Heir View Post

I read the novelization and one of the main reasons why he has his cars down in his work area, it's like a reminder of his dad. They used to fix cars/engines together, mainly one car in particular.

I'm hoping they go into it a bit in the film like they do in the book but I'm not crossing my fingers.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #69
Bubonic
Banned User

Quote:
I know what you mean, X-3, Spider-Man 3 and Ghost Rider all gave me a kick in the balls.
Were they ever!
But Iron Man is very different from these films in a few respects, the first two there are sequels, both with too much crammed in to the time slot among other problems, and Ghost Rider was almost bound to be a disaster as soon as they attached MSJ to it!

If your just comparing cast between GR and IM you can see how far apart from each other they are.

Iron Man is a franchise start, not only that, but it is Marvel studios first movie, and that should have played a tremendous amount into how it was crafted.

Favreau went above and beyond trying to make this as good of a IM movie for fans and the general public alike, isn't he one of the first directors to take the time to make a myspace page, and try to absorb advice directly from fans?

There might be a lot that could still go wrong, but I have a feeling that a lot more will go right then has even been the case with any other super hero movie.

Quote:
I read the novelization and one of the main reasons why he has his cars down in his work area, it's like a reminder of his dad. They used to fix cars/engines together, mainly one car in particular.

I'm hoping they go into it a bit in the film like they do in the book but I'm not crossing my fingers.
That's a pretty good and interesting explanation as to why a multi billionaire would compromise the safety of such nice cars.
But it might indeed be hard to fluidly fit in that fact into the movie, I'm guessing in the book it was explained out of dialogue in a thought bubble type of moment?

Bubonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #70
Kent
The Lord of Thwipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Samurai View Post
The TBS clip was also cool, we get to see how Ironman/Stark talked through the helmet

rhodes- what's all that noise?

stark-i'm in my car

LOL
TBS clip? Please do elaborate.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #71
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic View Post
Were they ever!
But Iron Man is very different from these films in a few respects, the first two there are sequels, both with too much crammed in to the time slot among other problems, and Ghost Rider was almost bound to be a disaster as soon as they attached MSJ to it!

If your just comparing cast between GR and IM you can see how far apart from each other they are.

Iron Man is a franchise start, not only that, but it is Marvel studios first movie, and that should have played a tremendous amount into how it was crafted.

Favreau went above and beyond trying to make this as good of a IM movie for fans and the general public alike, isn't he one of the first directors to take the time to make a myspace page, and try to absorb advice directly from fans?

There might be a lot that could still go wrong, but I have a feeling that a lot more will go right then has even been the case with any other super hero movie.

I'm with you on this film. I wasn't meaning that "I think" it might go the way of X-3 or Ghost Rider or something. So far I have incredible faith in this film and expect it to be damn good.

That's a pretty good and interesting explanation as to why a multi billionaire would compromise the safety of such nice cars.
But it might indeed be hard to fluidly fit in that fact into the movie, I'm guessing in the book it was explained out of dialogue in a thought bubble type of moment?

That's why I'm not crossing my fingers that it will be mentioned in the film. It's Pepper's thoughts as she goes down their to find Stark. She looks at the cars as well as a bunch of framed photos of Tony and his father.

I hope they pan over those in the actual film, show Tony throughout his younger years in photos with his Dad working on cars.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #72
Bubonic
Banned User

And thats the beauty of a novel that just can't be captured on film.
I might actually give the novelization a try after seeing the movie.

I'll talk a friend into buying it, then I'll borrow it.

Bubonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #73
omid17
Side-Kick

clip was ok, but it had too much humor, especially for a clip that was around 2 minutes

avy by kane52630
omid17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #74
The Guard
Side-Kick

See, I don't mind Stark having some humor...but I don't want humor that is forced, annoying, cheesy, and anything but clever. Those panels that were posted show Stark attempting to be funny, but they don't reveal anything clever or witty or interesting. Why anyone would want Stark limited to that just so he can be "funny"...

"Here, let me burp you!"

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #75
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
TBS clip? Please do elaborate.
TBS aired a 30 second clip when they showed King Kong on Friday. Rhodes calls Stark whose in the suit.Rhodes calls him because there is a bogey blowing up stark munitions depots

Stark- i'm in my car right now

Rhodes- what's all that noise?

Stark- i'm going through a tunnel

or something like that, man I wish I could find a clip. It's like the clip never happened.

Last edited by Gold Samurai; 04-13-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote