The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 04-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

Default Article: "why Iron Man will be huge"

http://weblogs.variety.com/thompsono...on-man-wi.html

Quote:
Those of us who saw Paramount's first Iron Man materials at Comic-Con--and witnessed the hordes lining up just to see the damned costume unveiled--don't need to be convinced that this picture will be a summer boxoffice juggernaut. It should easily pass $200 million. Will it get to $300 million is another question.

Why?

1. NEW ACTION HERO. This may be the robust male action fantasy hero that we've been waiting for. A new contemporary complex male who isn't Batman or Superman. (Face it, they've been around for a while.) Check out the latest clip and our photo gallery. Who wouldn't want to fly around like that? While Iron Man comicbook fans are legion, this is a new modern movie hero who kicks ass. And he's not a nice guy.

2. NEW STAR. Robert Downey Jr. has reached that magic moment when an edgy up-and-coming character actor ages into a certain masculine gravitas. No one ever doubted Downey's gift of gab, comedy and sexy appeal. But now Downey seems to have put his demons behind him. The one-two punch of actioner Iron Man and the late summer comedy Tropic Thunder may push him into real movie stardom.

3. SMART DIRECTOR. Jon Favreau is a gifted filmmaker with real chops. He can do character comedy: Elf, Swingers. He's smart. I don't care if Zathura tanked (here's the column I did at the time). It was a delightful smart fast-moving family adventure comedy. Selling it as a sequel to Jimanji was a mistake. But studios are loathe to sell originals and the movie never would have been made otherwise.

4. FUN MARVEL TOYS. My Iron Man action figure (above) is the envy of the office. (Launching repulsor projectile!) There's a lot more where that came from.

5. FEMME APPEAL. Add Gwenyth Paltrow to the mix, and I see a three quadrant movie. Who's left out? Older women. But I really want to see the movie. So who knows?

6. ORIGINAL. While Paramount can sell the movie to Iron Man comics fans, it is not a sequel, remake or retread of any kind. It is the presumable launch of a franchise. Every franchise had to start somewhere, as an original. They're harder to market, but if they work, you're off.

7. EARLY SUMMER LAUNCH. Iron Man opens wide on May 2 (basically the Spider Man date) at the start of the summer, when audiences are starving for a big popcorn picture. Things haven't gotten crowded yet. It should have a wide open playing field. Made of Honor will get the girls. Summer blockbuster sequel Narnia: Prince Caspian opens May 16, and Indy 4 May 22. (UPDATE: The Latin American press have seen the pic. Nothing yet for us stateside.)

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Default Re: Article: "why Iron Man will be huge"

Nice read. I really hope Iron Man will become one of the highest-grossing movie of the summer, because Marvel needs a big one to help launch their new Marvel Studio, and I'd like to see a trilogy for Iron Man. One problem is the seemedly lack of hype for this movie, but hopefully that will change in a couple of weeks when the marketing is in full force.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
ultimatefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Nice read. I really hope Iron Man will become one of the highest-grossing movie of the summer, because Marvel needs a big one to help launch their new Marvel Studio, and I'd like to see a trilogy for Iron Man. One problem is the seemedly lack of hype for this movie, but hopefully that will change in a couple of weeks when the marketing is in full force.
Actually, I think the hype´s been pretty good for a movie based on a character that isn´t as popular as Spidey or X-Men and starring an actor who´s not considered a big box office draw.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
Old 04-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatefan View Post
Actually, I think the hype´s been pretty good for a movie based on a character that isn´t as popular as Spidey or X-Men and starring an actor who´s not considered a big box office draw.
I hope so, because the stakes are high for Iron Man to succeed. And after the disappointments like Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Elektra, and FF, I'd like Marvel to become successful enough to take back most of their properties so they can start doing them justice.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Bullza
Side-Kick

I dont think itll make $300 mil the chances are too small, it could do X-men 3 numbers though

Bullza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Figs
Banned User

If Marvel themselves push out a half assed film like Ghost Rider, Elektra or DD(theatrical cut) I think I'm giving up on hoping for quality comic films for a very long time.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

^Agreed. Then I'll have no superhero movies I can count on until Incredibles 2(when ever that gets made).

Old 04-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
ironwez20
Side-Kick

i cant wait til may freakin 2nd

Old 04-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I love how that d**kweed, Don Murphy showed up again to post a negative comment on that blog. It's been nearly 2 years since we've heard from him. Boy, is he a loser.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
Crook
Banned User

^

I just took a quick look, and he plainly states he's excited for the film.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
GNR
worships John Matrix.

Over 300 million???

Don't know about that,but I think the studio and everyone involved should be happy if this movie sees over 40 to 50 million opening weekend.

GNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I believe you're reading it wrong. That's what the next commentator says after him. His only two posts say nothing of the sort:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Murphy
Wrong on every count.
Zathura?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Murphy
Ray Fox
By insulting me, Johnny Depp, The Hughes Bros and Sean Connery in one sentence and then saying the number two film of 2007 missed the mark you have proven yourself worthy of watching ZATHURA again.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #13
Rocker22
Side-Kick

Good read.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #14
explode7
Banned User

Finally! Someone other than me who thinks this movie has the potential to make 300M Domestic and 350M International for a grand total of 650M World Wide. This is going to be the next big comic book franchise.

explode7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #15
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by explode7 View Post
Finally! Someone other than me who thinks this movie has the potential to make 300M Domestic and 350M International for a grand total of 650M World Wide. This is going to be the next big comic book franchise.
Hopefully Marvel won't have their hopes up to high for numbers. It not reaching an impossible amount that high profile franchises had they got for could seriously impact whether they green light a sequel or not, even if it does well.

IM shouldn't need to have Spider-man or X-men numbers to be successful.

Last edited by The Major; 04-11-2008 at 07:48 PM.
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #16
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Nope, this thing hopefully will get 200 but it willbe far from "easy".

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #17
fu manchu
Side-Kick

^it's gonna easily make 200 million. According to your sig, its gonna make over 70 million on opening weekend.

fu manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:31 AM   #18
Rikxiepoo
Feces

Whats interesting is that even though Iron Man is Marvel's Batman (or vice versa, i dont know which came first) they are really different, which is a good selling point. This can win the same numbers as Batman Begins, and probably more considering this film is aimed at a wider audience from kids to adults. So hopefully it will make more than 200 million domestic.
If it wins around 400 million it will get a sequel.

Rikxiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:36 AM   #19
Juha
Maybe I should retire

Iron Man is going to be huge. I don't understand how anyone could ever have doubted that. $200 million is a given. Now all that I'm hoping for is that the movie will deliver. I'm pretty sure it's going to satisfy me but obviously I'm hoping for even more. I want this movie to be great!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #20
Knightsaber Priss
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikxiepoo View Post
Whats interesting is that even though Iron Man is Marvel's Batman (or vice versa, i dont know which came first) they are really different, which is a good selling point. This can win the same numbers as Batman Begins, and probably more considering this film is aimed at a wider audience from kids to adults. So hopefully it will make more than 200 million domestic.
If it wins around 400 million it will get a sequel.
Wait a minute...I thought Daredevil was Marvel's Batman? From the comics I've skimmed at the comic shop DD seems to resemble Batman more than Iron Man does in terms of personality.

"I know what you would say, and it would seem like wisdom, but for the warning in my heart." Frodo Baggins - Fellowship of the Rings

I have changed. Things that I once wanted are now but a distant memory forever cloaked in the shadows of the twilight of the past.
Knightsaber Priss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #21
ultimatefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
Hopefully Marvel won't have their hopes up to high for numbers. It not reaching an impossible amount that high profile franchises had they got for could seriously impact whether they green light a sequel or not, even if it does well.

IM shouldn't need to have Spider-man or X-men numbers to be successful.

Yeah, well, not Spider-Man, but if it really has a budget of 150m, at least BB or X2-like numbers would be preferrable.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #22
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Very good read, I believe Iron Man has potential to make $300 Million worldwide, if it doesn't that fine, but the movie looks fantastic and I can't wait to see it many times.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #23
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I think it'll land a number 2 (beating TDK) or a number 3 (TDK beating it), I have a big feeling Indy will be number 1 & not just because I'm an Indy fanboy. It's one of the most watched trailers...ever!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #24
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatefan View Post
Agreed.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #25
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
Wait a minute...I thought Daredevil was Marvel's Batman? From the comics I've skimmed at the comic shop DD seems to resemble Batman more than Iron Man does in terms of personality.
Wait, is Matt Murdock the most famous intelligent and rich mortal that works his butt to reach superhero level in the Marvel universe? I don’t think so.

Personality-wise they’re different and that’s great. Iron Man is sunny with a twist, red and Marvel. Batman is somber, blue/black and DC Comics. Marvel isn’t looking for an exact replica of Batman even if they got it in Night Thrasher.

chiefchirpa is offline   Reply With Quote