The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 04-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #76
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

Default Re: The Incredible Hulk's True Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
The Hulk is a Shapeshifter (like most Gamma Mutants), and depepending on his psychological state he changes into certain forms.
He's a MASS shifter, and no, he doesn't change into "certain forms", he just grows.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #77
Gamma Ra
Your - Mr. Nice Guy

I don't know where people get that, Ang's Hulk leaping looked stupid? That was the part that most people who saw the movie liked.

Everyone who bought up the analogy that Hulk's leaping is like Superman flying is on point. Hulk leaps miles at a time, point blank. That's what he does. Yeah, Hulk could leap out of danger if he wanted to, but you know what, Hulk being the personality he is.....DOESN'T RUN FROM ANYTHING. Especially a fight, no matter what danger he's in. Chalk that up to his confidence, determination, fearless nature, arrogance, conceit and faith in himself.

Last edited by Gamma Ra; 04-24-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Gamma Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #78
The Hulk
Side-Kick

hulks true size has always been based on the artist drawing him. when hulk was grey and jeff purves was drawing him, he was about 71/2 to 8 feet tall. while still grey, todd mcfarlane drew him about 3 times this size while fighting spiderman. 9 feet tall is around the size of modern hulk, and the fact that he stays that size through this movie is fantastic. although a poster on these boards a while back tried to say hulk changed size in an issue he read, this is untrue and was '03 hulks biggest mistake. he ended up looking like king kong! how on earth would he fit in the avengers building. but like i said, its artist interpretation. i have nearly every hulk figure, and the toybiz face off hulk when next to the leader looks like the right scale, which would make hulk around 8 or 9 feet tall. but i also have the sideshow hulk vs. spiderman statue, and well, if this hulk was to stand up, he would be bigger than angs!:

and as for hulk leaping, he does it it the comics, it was done perfectly in the 03 movie. i am at a loss as to what people are complaining about with first movie. i hope hulk still leaps in this new movie.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #79
Nivek
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dev Adam View Post
He's a MASS shifter, and no, he doesn't change into "certain forms", he just grows.
PAD and a couple other Hulk writers have referred to him as a shapeshifter. And as I stated, so are any other human mutated by Gamma Radiation in the Marvel Universe.

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #80
The Hulk
Side-Kick

Quote:
PAD and a couple other Hulk writers have referred to him as a shapeshifter. And as I stated, so are any other human mutated by Gamma Radiation in the Marvel Universe.
if a man was to turn into a werwolf, he would be labled a shapeshifter. i think thats a fitting title for a man turning into a green monster.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #81
Nivek
Banned User

It's not like he's Banner except 9 ft. tall.

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #82
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ra View Post
I don't know where people get that, Ang's Hulk leaping looked stupid? That was the part that most people who saw the movie liked.
I liked it but it looked somehow... strange. Cause when Hulk lands, Hulks leaves a hole or a huge crack, cause Hulk is the best at what crack is.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #83
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hulk View Post
if a man was to turn into a werwolf, he would be labled a shapeshifter. i think thats a fitting title for a man turning into a green monster.
When a man turns into a werewolf there is a significant change from the original human shape. Legs break, face gets distorted into a snout, fingers gain extra joints, etc.

But the Hulk only gains mass and a new radioactive tan. I prefer the Peter David explanation that Hulk is a giant, controlled cancerous tumour.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #84
The Hulk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dev Adam View Post
When a man turns into a werewolf there is a significant change from the original human shape. Legs break, face gets distorted into a snout, fingers gain extra joints, etc.

But the Hulk only gains mass and a new radioactive tan. I prefer the Peter David explanation that Hulk is a giant, controlled cancerous tumour.
well, no, agian depends on the werewolf in question. they vary in size and shape in every werewolf movie just as hulk does in comics. hulk gains mass, but also depending on artist, a very monsterous face that has humanoid qualities. bruce banner turns into a monster no matter how you look at it, which make shim a shapeshifter.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:54 AM   #85
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

And now that we're settling for realism, riddle me this... WHERE THE EXTRA MASS COMES FROM? Yeah, cause a man can grow only to a certain size (and forget Millar's "scientific" explanation for Giant-Man on The Ultimates, it's totally innacurate).

Old 04-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #86
Odin's Lapdog
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
I've seen average looking men with average levels of physical strength throw each other. Why can't Hulk do something like that?
throw each other like a football?

why don't i feel, my Skin should crack and peel?
I want the
Fire back...

If you want to PM me, please send it to November RAIN. Odin's Lapdog's pm box is full
Odin's Lapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #87
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Ang Lee's film spent an hour more than it should've trying to explain this. All it could come up with was that the Hulk was produced from nanorobotics gone wrong and the excess material was released as steam once he calmed down. Suffice to say, this was never explicitly stated and became just another detail in a film that most viewed as self-indulgent.

In short: I can do with them saying "gamma radiation turns you into a raging green hero and doesn't give you cancer" if they can produce the best story possible.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:24 AM   #88
Odin's Lapdog
Side-Kick

Quote:
Odin, let's not get on the discussion of size to comparitive strength on a board about superheroes and villians. Because we can start with Wolverine, and work our way down.
I've never related size directly to strength.

As I said before superman lifted a continent, he's smaller than the hulk, that was fine because of the way he did it.

The hulk uses surrounding objects like playground weapons, if the scale isn't right, he'll look odd attempting to perform those feats. He could still be strong enough to pick up a tank and throw it a similar distance to ang's but he won't be large enough to grip it and swing it from the turret because of the size of his body and hands.

I want the
Fire back...

If you want to PM me, please send it to November RAIN. Odin's Lapdog's pm box is full
Old 04-25-2008, 03:34 AM   #89
Odin's Lapdog
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmit View Post
It doesn't matter about the method, it's the result that counts. New Hulk may not be able to wrap his hands round the entire dish washer, but he can still grip it in one hand and throw it as good as old hulk. Same goes for Blonsky, new hulk might not be able to wrap his entire hand round him and toss him a mile but he can grab him with a grip and chuck him as far. I really don't see how the size is limiting him if every action has the same result.
It's all about style and finesse baby

consider these two scenes

now what this scene from terminator

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

both scenes show two people both strong enough to lift a child. The end result is the same and the same amount of strength is roughly used.

THe difference is that the smaller being has used more relative effort and balance to lift the kid whild arnie has strolled up and easily lifted him up with one arm as if he wasn't there.

now i know arnie is stronger than the child but if they were the same strength, it would have still have been easier for arnie based on his size and he made it look effortless.

now i'm not saying the hulk should be giant man but a city is going to be his playground of weapons and shields so why not have these objects be reimagined by being used in a different scale.

This hulk is perhaps too similar to the limits of human size to truelly access this limiting what he can and can't use. He's GREAT for interacting with others but his size is comparable to gandalf's to the hobbits, if not less.

I want the
Fire back...

Old 04-25-2008, 03:48 AM   #90
Odin's Lapdog
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende Verde View Post
Start watching a at 3:07
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
this is exactly what i mean by misrepresentation

in one scene, he fits into a jail cell,

in another scene he's bigger than a tank and able to rip off its turret easily

in another scene he's wide enough to stretch across the entire width of a tank

in another scene a tank shell is about the same size of his belly button

in the beginning sequence, his feet are as large as tanks and so are his hands (i'll give them the benefit of the doubt).

it's just quite funny to think he's the same size throughout when there are obvious size shifts encorporated to do these things.

a tank turret is probably about the height and diameter of an average turret. guestimation would presume a tank was only slightly higher than a jeep.

I want the
Fire back...

Old 04-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #91
The Hulk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin's Lapdog View Post
this is exactly what i mean by misrepresentation

in one scene, he fits into a jail cell,

in another scene he's bigger than a tank and able to rip off its turret easily

in another scene he's wide enough to stretch across the entire width of a tank

in another scene a tank shell is about the same size of his belly button

in the beginning sequence, his feet are as large as tanks and so are his hands (i'll give them the benefit of the doubt).

it's just quite funny to think he's the same size throughout when there are obvious size shifts encorporated to do these things.

a tank turret is probably about the height and diameter of an average turret. guestimation would presume a tank was only slightly higher than a jeep.
ha ha ha! how bad are those old cartoons! man your right about the size changes, but i think its just the piss poor animation and production values that went into making these. but at least it clearly shows hulk using his leg muscles!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #92
Norm3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
he looks tall, ya, probably about, 8' - 9', there
but, thats still a big difference, from...
I'm not seeing that big of a difference. Hulk should be a foot smaller. 8 ft max.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #93
Hulkfan2008!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm3 View Post
I'm not seeing that big of a difference. Hulk should be a foot smaller. 8 ft max.
bout a 8.5ft differnce between hulk and betty, but about a 3ft between hulk and blonsky. the first hulk is 15ft tall the new is only 9ft. thats huge difference in size plus people in the world are growing taller and taller 8ft is like the size of the world largest man and hulk needs to be taller than any human.

Woe thee who dare harm an innocent in his presence, for even God won't spare you from his retribution.
Hulkfan2008! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #94
Norm3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkfan2008! View Post
bout a 8.5ft differnce between hulk and betty, but about a 3ft between hulk and blonsky. the first hulk is 15ft tall the new is only 9ft. thats huge differnce in size.
I can do the math too. I said LOOKS different. IE they both are too big!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #95
Hulkfan2008!
Side-Kick

Quote:
I can do the math too. I said LOOKS different. IE they both are too big!
first on is too big second one is just about right

Woe thee who dare harm an innocent in his presence, for even God won't spare you from his retribution.
Hulkfan2008! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #96
Kirmit
Big Green Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkfan2008! View Post
bout a 8.5ft differnce between hulk and betty, but about a 3ft between hulk and blonsky. the first hulk is 15ft tall the new is only 9ft. thats huge difference in size plus people in the world are growing taller and taller 8ft is like the size of the world largest man and hulk needs to be taller than any human.
My thoughts exactly, the hulk is something monsterous and unnatural, being taller than any human certainly assists this.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #97
Judson Caspian
Banned User

Quote:
I'm not seeing that big of a difference.
Look at his left leg on the left picture. He's almost kneeling down. Imagine if he would stand straight. There's a huge size difference anyway.

Judson Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #98
Mel4Prez
Side-Kick

They should have went to a real actor. CGI bites. It's like looking at one of those disney cartoons from back in the 60's.

Mel4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #99
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Do you know how hard people would laugh if they saw that? Consider that for a second...a $130 million action movie, with effects that look marginally better than a B movie every time the Hulk transforms. The common audience member would doubt they put enough effort into this reboot before they even see the movie.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #100
Norm3
Side-Kick

Ang Lee seems to have set the bar to as high as 15 feet. Marvel is trying to reign him in at 9 feet. But I think 8 should be Max otherwise he just becomes another Mighty Joe Young or King Kong.