3, Bad 1 0.17%
2, Sucked major Iron Balls 2 0.35%
1, Hated it! Worst film I've ever seen! 1 0.17%
Voters: 575. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #301
Nathan

Default Re: The Official Iron Man Rate & Review Thread

It didn't really annoy me. I thought it was a hilarious scene, "First Cheeseburger... then Press-conference." Transformers was much worse in that regard. Mountain Dew and Xbox 360 Transformers? Nothing tops that shameless product placement.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #302
Ironman24
Golden Avenger

I gave it a 10, perfect balance of comedy, action and drama, one of the best films I've ever seen.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #303
Gamma Ray
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
That's another reason this film isn't a 10. Shameless product placement.

I actually got a little annoyed when Tony spoke to Stane on his LG Verizon phone.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #304
Rocker22
Side-Kick

The product placement was not that bad in this movie. Not like Transformers.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #305
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
It didn't really annoy me. I thought it was a hilarious scene, "First Cheeseburger... then Press-conference." Transformers was much worse in that regard. Mountain Dew and Xbox 360 Transformers? Nothing tops that shameless product placement.
I disagree. At least the Mountain Dew machine and the X-Box turned into transformers. Burger King and Verizon were just there.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 05-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #306
Dotten
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's another reason this film isn't a 10. Shameless product placement.
Don't be so onesided now. Product placement or not, the burger-scene was great. Product placement does not need to be a bad thing. In this case it made the movie better, IMO. Don't be so black and white, it will only ruin movies for you

The cup is half full, not half empty. There are cases where the PP can have a positive effect. Thats just reality.

I don't give a #Ī/# who your father is, stop walking around on the water were I'm fishing!!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #307
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotten View Post
Don't be so onesided now. Product placement or not, the burger-scene was great. Product placement does not need to be a bad thing. In this case it made the movie better, IMO. Don't be so black and white, it will only ruin movies for you

The cup is half full, not half empty. There are cases where the PP can have a positive effect. Thats just reality.
Yeah, they dont bother me one bit. Makes the movie seem more "real world"...

That, or maybe im just a capitalist at heart.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #308
Overman27pj
Side-Kick

People drank coke and pepsi in 80s movies all the time without anyone complaining.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #309
CHEZ
TIMELESS

Nearly perfect superhero movie.
9 outta 10.

The upside: This movie is near perfect in so many ways. Cast-story-fx=Top-notch. Iron Man costume PERFECT.
The movie flows nicely from scene to scene with a perfect balance of humor and drama.

The downside: No big hero theme and the rocker music throughout was awful. The movie did feel a tad rushed (I hope we get an extended dvd cut) The final fight with Iron Monger was at times cut so fast it was hard to tell what was happening and the fight could have been a little longer.

Other than that, the movie is amazing and I plan on hitting the theater at least 2 more times.

Loved Stan Lee's cameo.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #310
provide a smile
Side-Kick

I thought this film was excellent 8.5/10, right balance of comedy,excellent action. RDJ is fantastic as stark and the product placement was fine, second best Marvel Film, will definately see it again

Old 05-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #311
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Just got back from the movie (and after a nice lunch and some shopping), but my mind is still bombarded with the imagery from the movie. I had pretty high expectations, from reading the reviews and from everyone's reaction in this forum, but I was still blown away by the excellence of this movie. Favreau should've been complimented by the awesome direction of this movie, and I wish he'd helmed other Marvel fiascos so they could all be terrific like Iron Man is.

You guys all know the story already, so I will just discuss about what I love about Iron Man. Obviously, Robert Downey Jr. is the heart and soul of this movie. His performance shows that good actor can make a mediocre role good, a good role great, and he was amazing in here. He has great comedic timing, and yet during the quiet moments (like when he asked Pepper to install the new generator to his heart), he also shown incredible vulnerability and humanity. He was the glue that holds all the pieces together, and without him this movie won't have been so phenomenal.

The supporting cast are just as good and capable as RDJ. I've never been a great fan of Gwyneth Paltrow, but her Pepper Potts exhibited charm, humor, sensibility, and has great chemistry with RDJ that made all their scenes together shine. Jeff Bridges was very good, and made his villain more one-dimension and you can understand (though not empathic) over his decision to betray Stark. Terrence Howard had little things to do, but he's a good foil to Downey's Stark and will probably get more screens in the sequel (as War Machine, I hope).

The movie structured well, and although it has the typical arcs Favreau paced the movie just right, so 2 hours running time flew by like it was an hour. I thought the part when Stark broke out of prison was great (and much accolades should go to the actor who played the good doctor; he was marvelous). Stark's experimentation with Mark II & III was funny and fun to watch. And the final battle with Iron Monger was (contrary to some reviews) exciting and definitely not a let-down).

The only negative things I could say about it is maybe more interaction between Pepper and Stark and better music score (Iron Man needs a theme). I also wish the crowd had clapped at the end, but I suppose that it was an early screening so not may hardcore fans were there yet. I could sit through another hour of Iron Man for real.

As I type this up, I wish the DVD could be out so I can watch it again and again. Looks like Marvel as a bona fide hit on their hands, and the summer is off to a GREAT start!!!

Btw, I love Sam Jackson's cameo as Nick Fury. As a comic geek, it tingles my spine when he appears after the credits.

10/10

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

Last edited by Raiden; 05-02-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #312
BizarroAids
Heh

I got a chance to see the movie last night, and WOW. I loved every minute of it. So far, the summer season is starting out great.

10/10- Iron Man has now earned a spot on the top!

SMALLVILLE
2001-2011
Old 05-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #313
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
I disagree. At least the Mountain Dew machine and the X-Box turned into transformers. Burger King and Verizon were just there.
I disagree. I thought they worked in the product placements well in the movie. Stark wants a cheeseburger? Why not Burger King? Stark wants to make a call? Why not Verizon LG? Stark wants to drive a car? Why not Audi A8?

And if it means it will trim down the budget and give Marvel the bottom line, then I'm all for it.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 05-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #314
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
It was a great rock soundtrack, I loved that Tony was listening to Suicidal Tendencies while he was tinkering with his hot rod.
Yeah... I recognized "Institutionalized" immediately...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #315
Sugarculted
Side-Kick

Loved it. Watched it on Thursday, around the afternoon. Everything about it seemed perfect. I'd say the third act wasn't as strong as the previous ones, but it was still pretty damn impressive. If this is what Marvel Studios has to offer, I'll now order my Incredible Hulk ticket, thanks

Old 05-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #316
DoomRulz
A guy that comes and goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker22 View Post
The product placement was not that bad in this movie. Not like Transformers.
People need to stop being so cynical...who the hell cares what he used as a tool, just roll with it

Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #317
DoomRulz
A guy that comes and goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireandIce213 View Post
yea u definitely missed something that could've been of interest to u...o well go see it again
I am, tomorrow night

Old 05-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #318
Nathan

Quote:
The hell? So he went to Burger King, as would've I. Big whoop. And he doesn't have a no-name Mobile Phone. He's Tony ****ing Stark.

I can't believe a Mountai Dew, a freaking MOUNTAIN DEW Transformer is ok in your book, but you complain when Tony Stark eats a lousy Burger King Cheeseburger .

Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #319
The_Vision

I lol'd at Stans cameo

And i loved the rock music in the film, especially at the start!

- Ozzy Osbourne

Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #320
Sugarculted
Side-Kick

Nathan's kinda got a point. Didn't see Tony buying anything from eBay, either.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #321
Isildurīs Heir
What are you looking at?

And so i saw it yesterday.....and it sucks

No, it doesnīt, and iīm man enough to say that i was wrong (first time i was, so, itīs one for the books) and pleasantly surprised by it.
There are movies that i have to watch again just to make a more sincere review, and this one of them, because i was so surprissed i have the feeling that my judgement might be a little cloudy.
All in all, itīs a great movie.

The Good
- Robert Downey Jr is the main reason why the movie worked, he makes a hell of a job, he is to Iron Man what Depp was to POTC, he is that good.
In fact, all cast was amazing, imo, stealing the crown of best cast in a comic book movie from Batman Begins, Paltrow was amazing, (except in the damsel in distress part), but especially the great Jeff Bridges (the best comic book movie villain, imo).
- One of the few comic book movies that care more about the man inside the suit then the suit itself, and that is, imo, the thing that made me like the movie way more than i was expecting.
- Great moments, being my favorite the one when Potts goes to change Starks "battery". Great scene, great acting from both actors, great chemistry.
- Armor is great
- As storyline goes, it was the best in any comic book movie so far

The Bad
- Even totally amazing, i still feel that Downey Jr wasnīt perfect for the role. Better yet, the role wasnīt perfect to begin with. It was extrely exaggerated (the all playboy attitude, donīt care for anything, just drink, women and money), badly done (Stark doesnīt get women because of his money, but because he knows how to "play the game", he is suave, he puts James Bond to shame....he isnīt in the movie, and he needed it.
The all change of hearts is not great either, the role needed a more dramatic flair, some more powerful scenes in it, because it takes more than a "i was kidnapped by terrorits and all i got was this lousy t-shirt, so, iīm done with making weapons" attitude.
- I like humor as much as the next guy, but the movie overuses it in some points, especially in the only totally ridiculous scene in the movie, when he tries to fly for the first time. Everyone laughed, i did too, but the first idea anyone has is, Tony Stark died, no one could have survived that going against the wall like that, with that power and velocity. It goes from laugh to a WTF moment in seconds.
- Terrence Howard. The man is great, he really is, but he was badly cast for the role, and the role of Rhodes was not all that in the first place.
- Beside Iron Manīs first appearence in Afghanistan (which is great), all action scenes are...meh
The Iron Man vs Jets is not needed and the last one could have been way better (and the Iron Monger flying in slow-mo or extremely slowly is stupid, imo)
- The armor was great, but......he was too damn robotic. First, the suit was too damn heavy in the first place, than it would take minutes for him to get inside it.
Itīs totally realistic for him to need his hands to give him balance during flight, but it is as needed as Hulk (in Leeīs movie) to grow in size to show he grows in strenght.
Both make sense in a realistic way, but both arenīt needed (what does Iron Man do if he needs to fight in flight?)
All in all, and that is my greatest problem with the movie, it takes away one of the things that had to be there, the unique quality of Tony Stark, that he is the hero, that even without the suit, he is the superhero. In the end, all i took was, anyone can do what he does inside it, it doesnīt need to be Tony.
- The second worst thing was, the movie is too damn much on the Ultimate side of things.
Sure, it mixes both universes, which is great, but endeds on falling in the Ultimate one with the all black Fury (i like Jackson and he kicks major ass in the last scene, but iīm old school, i donīt find a reason for him to be black when the character is white), needing "101 robots" for Tony to get his ass inside the armor, the all Jarvis AI (even if it doesnīt happen in the Ultimate line, it just screams it) and the Avengers initiative, which is The Ultimates with a diferent name.

All in all, when i watch a comic book movie i donīt always except for it to be perfect (not only it never happend so far, itīs difficult), but i always ask for it to have a acceptable direction, a story that works in the right places and makes it about the man inside the suit/behind the mask.
The movie is not perfect, but it makes a very good job in the last, so, for that, i give it a 8 out of 10.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #322
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ray View Post
I actually got a little annoyed when Tony spoke to Stane on his LG Verizon phone.
I guess for movies now they have to create their own phones/companies so as not to piss of the fanboys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overman27pj View Post
People drank coke and pepsi in 80s movies all the time without anyone complaining.

Good point. Sad thing is, today it's become a nerdy/fanboy trend to find and point out product placement and then ***** about how it ruins a movie...which is still a major to me.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #323
Kent
The Lord of Thwipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I disagree. I thought they worked in the product placements well in the movie. Stark wants a cheeseburger? Why not Burger King? Stark wants to make a call? Why not Verizon LG? Stark wants to drive a car? Why not Audi A8?

And if it means it will trim down the budget and give Marvel the bottom line, then I'm all for it.
Yeah. Is he gonna use made up brands just so people won't yell "product placement"? I mean, what if he didn't drive an Audi? Wouldn't it still be some kind of car?
Maybe he should've driven an "Audit" or a "Fjord" and eaten burgers from "Burger Queen" or "McDowell's".

Old 05-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #324
arachnid-guy
Banned User

Iron-tastic.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #325
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Loved It! Definitely the best comic book movie to come out since Batman Begins. (IMO).

Loved the reveal at the end.

Closed Thread