2, Sucked major Iron Balls 2 0.35%
1, Hated it! Worst film I've ever seen! 1 0.17%
Voters: 575. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #1051
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Default Re: The Official Iron Man Rate & Review Thread

I wanted more action scenes--that's the only reason it got an 8 for me and not a 10. I still loved it, and I'll definitely be in the theater when the sequel comes out.

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #1052
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Hell yeah, Iron Man destoryed the competetion at the box office for a second week! Whoo!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #1053
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theweepeople View Post
Well, apparently you're ignorant for missunderstanding me. I said those crappy comic book films were better at developing origins for their characters than Batman 89 which barely gave us any insight into how Bruce Wayne grew up. All we knew is that he was rich and his parents were killed by the joker. The movie spent a total of 2-5 minutes on Bruce Wayne's background.
Once again, you have failed to understand what exactly Burton did with his Batman.

He saw Bruce Wayne as a loner, whihc he has always been. He lives in this huge mansion alone with Alfred, has more money than he knows what to do with, and keeps to himself, afraif to truly let anyone in. At night, he is the Batman, protecting his city.

Burton purposely didn't provide Batman with a proper origin to keep him mysterious, and I think that worked well. You don't need a typical origin 45 minutes origin story like Spider-man or Iron Man to make a good superhero movie. Like I said, Batman's origin was told in a more subtle and mysterious way.

And then the Vicki Vale character, who you said was "pointless", gets involved with Bruce Wayne and becomes curious as to the kind of man he actually is. Why is so little known about him? Why won't he let her in on his life?

It just seems like you missed the entire point of the movie and are just looking for ways to bash it.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #1054
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

I think the training process angle was better. It allowed us to see Bruce Wayne as more than just some guy with too much time on his hands. In Burton's Batman, he comes across as a guy who's sort of hollow without the guise of Batman. Burton tried hard with making the Joker tied to his parent's death, but it wasn't the sort of revision I can approve of now that I'm a well-versed fan. I enjoy Nolan's Batman more as a character because he has the sort of development that rationalizes his motives.

To put it simply- I think mystery is good. Mystery can add layers to a character and help you feel the fear that they demand. But with Batman, the only people that should feel fear are the evildoers. We, as the audience, should be able to see a depth to this detective so we can realize that there's more to his nightly rounds than just an event that happened when he was a child. Seeing his training isn't the only way to go about doing that, but it's a good way nevertheless.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #1055
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I finally saw this yesterday and it was as good as I thought it was going to be.

Robert Downey Jr., had me sold in the trailers but he was unbelievable as Tony Stark. I forgot for most of the movie he was Robert Downey Jr., he was Tony Stark. Paltrow, Howard and Bridges all did phenomenal jobs.

I would probably rank this as my #2 favorite comic movie.

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Iron-Man
3. Batman Begins

Old 05-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #1056
LexCorp
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I finally saw this yesterday and it was as good as I thought it was going to be.

Robert Downey Jr., had me sold in the trailers but he was unbelievable as Tony Stark. I forgot for most of the movie he was Robert Downey Jr., he was Tony Stark. Paltrow, Howard and Bridges all did phenomenal jobs.

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Iron-Man
3. Batman Begins
Indeed - I liked his voice it just had this charm and edge to it.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #1057
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Excellent: Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, X-Men, X-Men 2, Iron-Man, Blade, Blade 2
Good: The Incredible Hulk, Spider-man 3
Average: Punisher, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, X-Men 3
Bad: Fantastic Four 2, Elektra, Blade Trinity, Ghost Rider

Spider-Man 2 ****
Iron-Man ****
X-Men 2 ****

Spider-Man ***1/2
X-Men ***1/2
Blade 2 ***1/2

Blade ***

The Incredible Hulk **1/2
Spider-Man 3 **1/2

Punisher **
Fantastic Four **
Daredevil **
X-Men 3 **

Fantastic Four 2 *1/2
Blade Trinity *1/2
Ghost Rider *1/2

Elektra *

Last edited by Erzengel; 05-12-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #1058
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I like to finally thank Marvel for finally following up with a stellar movie after essentially 4 years of medicore to suck movies.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #1059
LexCorp
Lex Luthor

Boo Ya! I guess

Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #1060
LadyVader
Smile like you mean it.

Quote:
I like to finally thank Marvel for finally following up with a stellar movie after essentially 4 years of medicore to suck movies.
That doesn't seem very fair, I mean Marvel didn't have complete control over the movies that were made using their characters. Ultimately the studio had all the power. Otherwise how do you explain X-men TLS and Fantastic Four 2?

This was the first movie where Marvel had COMPLETE control over the story and the characters and it helps that they had a devoted director and darn good lead actor.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #1061
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Then they should stop thinking of money when they sign over the rights.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #1062
LadyVader
Smile like you mean it.

Where do you think they got the money to make their own studio? And what do you think they wanted the bad movies to turn out bad? You sign over the rights, a writing team takes over and it's pretty much out of your hands. It's not like Marvel could ask to see a script before signing.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #1063
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Then they should stop thinking of money when they sign over the rights.
Since Marvel isn't a big corporation like WB is, they don't have almost infinite source of income and therefore to make their movies early on, they had to license their characters out to studios like Sony, Fox, Universal, etc. It wasn't until the financial success of movies like Spider-man that they were able to create Marvel Studio and start make movies themselves.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #1064
JimB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Doom View Post
After seeing this movie, I have to say Iron Man has the best superhero costume ever.
I concurr. IMHO, I think it edges the Spider-man costume, which is my all time favorite. At least on screen.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #1065
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVader View Post
Where do you think they got the money to make their own studio? And what do you think they wanted the bad movies to turn out bad? You sign over the rights, a writing team takes over and it's pretty much out of your hands. It's not like Marvel could ask to see a script before signing.
I would have put something in the contract for some sort of overseeing rights. Fantastic Four should have been on the same level as Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron-Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Since Marvel isn't a big corporation like WB is, they don't have almost infinite source of income and therefore to make their movies early on, they had to license their characters out to studios like Sony, Fox, Universal, etc. It wasn't until the financial success of movies like Spider-man that they were able to create Marvel Studio and start make movies themselves.
I understand the concept, but in the end how many busted franchises did it take for Marvel Studios to take flight. Was it worth it?

Old 05-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #1066
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
I would have put something in the contract for some sort of overseeing rights. Fantastic Four should have been on the same level as Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron-Man.

I understand the concept, but in the end how many busted franchises did it take for Marvel Studios to take flight. Was it worth it?
I don't think Marvel had a choice, and it was better to license Spider-man out to studios like Sony than never having the chance to see them on the big screen. The upside is that, with different studios releasing those movies, Marvel get to see several of their superheroes premiere, whereas a single studio like WB takes such a long time to make theirs.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 05-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #1067
JimB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by joke View Post
Saw the movie awhile ago now, on the opening day. The beginning was great, the whole sequence where he was building Mark II and III was fantastic, so much gadgetry and technical details, but the best part had to be his fight with the terrorists in that city. At the moment he landed in the middle of all those terrorists was when I got a huge goddamn grin on my face, turned to my girlfriend and said "I love this movie." That fight was absolutely amazing, the best in any comic book movie.
Those special moments in the film are what elevates it even more. Not to mention the confrontation with the tank after he's taken down.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #1068
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Good to see Speed Racer is no match for the invincible IRON MAN!!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #1069
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Of course 4 British Kids will undoubtably usurp Iron Man this Friday.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #1070
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
^I say frack them!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #1071
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
That's ok. By the end of next weekend, IM's worldwide box office gross should be very close to 400 million, if not over it.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #1072
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Iron Man will probably hit $215 by Sunday.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #1073
TLH
Hypnotized

Quote:

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Iron-Man
3. Batman Begins
I have the same three in my top there, but the order is different:

1. Iron Man
2. Batman Begins
3. Spider-Man 2

Iron Man bumped Hellboy off the top 3.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #1074
Spider-Bat
BATMAN

I saw it opening day, first show. I liked it alot, it was a fun popcorn movie and the best Marvel Film since Spider-man 1 and 2.

It's good to see Marvel Studios in charge. Making sure the movie's faithful, I'm sure they had enough with crap like DD and Hulk, and Punisher which they now had to remake. And hopefully one day they'll make a good DD movie more like Ironman and hopefully with a better Kingpin who is white!

Now back to IM, it was good but Marvel's stuff is more so popcorn flicks, where Batman's Dark Knight has more substance, seeing the trailer with IM got me going big time, IM was good, Hulk looks good, but DK will win the summer.

Alfred: "Know your limits, Master Wayne."
Bruce Wayne: "BATMAN has no limits."

Old 05-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #1075
The Guard
Side-Kick

I've always thought it kind of stupid to look at BATMAN and condemn it for not developing it's characters. Hardly any action movie did so in 1989. Hell, hardly any MOVIE did in 1989.

Batman's origin, while important, was rarely the focal point of the Batman comic books. Tim Burton chose, and wisely so, to utilize his screentime to show Batman taking on The Joker while still spotlighting the most relevant part of Bruce Wayne's origin.

Quote:
I think the training process angle was better. It allowed us to see Bruce Wayne as more than just some guy with too much time on his hands.
Only an idiot looks at Bruce Wayne and goes "That's just some guy with too much time on his hands".

Come on now.

It's like the people who whine because BATMAN never showed where he got his stuff. Are they stupid?

And then BEGINS comes along with it's genius explanation: "He found it". Niiice.

I won't pretend it wasn't nice to see some elements of his training, etc.

Quote:
My only complaint with Batman (89) was the fact that it seemed like no one knew who Bruce Wayne was....Knox, who is a reporter in Gotham City, seemed totally clueless as to who Wayne was....
Bruce Wayne had a place at Harvey Dent's table with the Mayor, Gordon, and others socialites. Everyone who was anyone was at his charity gambling party. People clearly knew who he was, he just kept to himself for the most part.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Closed Thread