Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #126
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The Official Iron Man Rate & Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotten View Post
Not the business thing I was thinking of, but that he could be so "fooled" by the guy ending up as his enemy. And the fact that bad-guys also got hold of his weapons. A bit too surprised, he should have forseen the possibility that the bad-guys in Afghanistan could get a hold of his weapons.
He was fooled by him b/c he had known him since he was a boy, it was his fathers best friend, his life long mentor, there was no reason to suspect him of betrayal. As for the weapons, it plays into the arc, Stark was a self indulgent playboy with a genius mind but absolutely no concept of the real world or the consequences of his actions, that's why the wake up call is so massive for him at the end of act 1.

Quote:
They are building something big and I hope they succeed. This was a real blast, Favreau did a great job. He's like Michael Bay with more intellect and a bit less testosterone. Marvel could not get a better start and this is a kind of movie that very few will dislike. It has an universal appeal and it was more fun than Batman Begins.
I agree, i think Fav has kicked Iron Man off like Raimi did with Spidey, the sequel has so much potential of where it can go with the characters and the other suits that can be brought into use.

Quote:
I like how Stark is much like Bale, but he is much more ruthless and charming. And does not spend all day philosophizing. But a tad more naive then Wayne. But ultimately Wayne is a nicer guy showing more mercy. Iron Man was really bad ass, but his confidence and charm makes him a more likable character then the more gritty (but surprisingly nicer) Wayne.

For the real villain in this movie was actually Stark. He did his transformation and had to clean up the mess left by the bad-guy Stark. But he did not leave his "ruthlessness" behind. He has no hesitation when it comes to killing. I liked that "edge" about him and it will be interesting to see where they take him in the future.
Very good way of putting it, i agree completely on the first part.
On the second i also partially agree although he is co villain i would say, his villain part comes from his complete ignorant existence inside his own billionaire world as opposed to any malice. Stane's villain is built on pure greed and evil.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 05-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #127
Conebone69
The Legend Ends

Looks like this movie will be good. Didnt expect this good of reviews

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 2012
Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #128
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Just saw it. Here's a small review:

The grade I gave it is 8/10.

The good:

Robert Downey Jr. I knew he'd be great the moment I heard he was cast as Stark. HE IS the movie. Tony Stark is likeable, a fairly 3-dimensional character and you can feel his motives and mentality. The humor was great in general, too. Good stuff!

Gwyneth Paltrow. I don't like her generally, but I really felt for her in the movie. A very good and fresh female lead in a sh film.

Terrence Howard: He wasn't as tough as the comic book Rhoades, but he was tough enough to float my boat. He didn't have much to do, but like he said: "Next time, baby".

Jeff Bridges: I really liked his Stane. Not just performance-wise, but until the big turn of events, I liked him as a person and a father figure/mentor to Stark. Very good job. The turn was good, too, if a bit sudden.

Shaun Taub: He was great for the little screentime he had. I felt sorry for him and rather hoped he'd survive to be... I dunno, Stark's butler or whatever! Very good choice. Finally a "good person dies" moment that I didn't roll my eyes at.

The direction: Favreau did a great job there, and he can do action pretty well. Plus, he kept up woth the improvisations of Doney Jr., so kudos to him!

The script: Very good, the connection of events and the way one thing lead to another was handled naturally. The flow of the script was nearly flawless.

The effects: ILM. 'Nuff said.

Sam Jackson as Fury, the comic book references, and the setup for future movies: All great, I always loved the Ultimate Universe of Marvel more than the 616 one, so bring on Sam Jackson!

The not so good:

The music. It was decent, but made the action sequences lack some intensity and epicness (if that's even a word). It added nothing to them and it's a shame.

The final fight. Great moves and choreography, but as a climax, it was not great. Good, not great. The music was a factor to consider, like I said above.

The ending. What the...??? I won't spoil it, but it was a really wtf moment, in a bad way. I'm not too harsh on the movie because of it, as I KNOW there will be Iron Man 2 and this will be explained. But on its own, it was preposterous!!! There is a chance that I took it the wrong way, but until I find out or decide on that, it's definately a minus.

All in all? A great fun movie, one of the better sh movies I've seen so far. I'm not a big Iron Man fan (comic book-wise), so I can't tell you how true it stayed to the source material. I know some general stuff, but not much.
I'm eagerly expecting no2 and recomend all of you people who are hesitant to watch it!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #129
paulogonza
Side-Kick

Wow, I saw that in Brazil today and me and the audience loved this so much, the better Marvel movie so far without doubt.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #130
protocida
Side-Kick

Hey, everyone:

Am i the only that think that Obadiah had a little bit of a crush for Pepper? I Don't know why, but i got that vibe LOL!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #131
CaptainCanada
Shield of the True North

The theatre I was at was packed tight, and they absolutely loved the movie.

Itíll take another viewing to confirm, but we may possibly have reached Nerdvana with this movie (incidentally, we got a trailer for The Dark Knight, but it was the teaser they initially released; meh; also, there was the Incredible Hulk teaser, which people seemed to like). I got into comics through the animated adaptations of things like Spider-Man and X-Men, so I only knew of Iron Man from his appearances in the 90s Spidey cartoon for a while. Recently, though, you canít throw a rock in the Marvel Universe without hitting Tony Stark, and Iíve been following the excellent current run by Charles and Daniel Knauf, as well as his appearances in other titles like Captain America, and reading the collected editions of his classic stories.

Looking only at the plot, this is a pretty standard origin film; we get the modern version of Tonyís beginnings as detailed by Warren Ellis in "Extremis" (with Afghanistan instead of Vietnam), and Pepper Potts is Tonyís Girl Friday, though otherwise this is strongly influenced by the Layton/Michelinie period, particularly the presence of James Rhodes as the lead male supporting character, the main villain, Obadiah Stane (he doesnít last enough to be christened the Iron Monger formally, though he uses the term in conversation earlier), and Tonyís immediate motivation for becoming a superhero, which is modelled heavily on "Armour Wars". But itís the execution, the details, and, yes, the Downey Jr., that make all the difference. Robert Downey Jr. owns all, no doubt; heís utterly fantastic as Tony Stark. Jeff Bridges is very strong as Stane; heís up there with McKellen and Defoe as realizing the best film villains of the current revival. At first I was a bit put off by Terrence Howard's voice as Rhodey (softer than I had imagined; in my head he's always been more of a Dorn/Haysbert type), but he's good; Paltrow does a good job too.

The film is peppered with setup for future stuff: SHIELD (and, if you stay after the credits, ole Nick himself, talking about his "Avenger Initiative"), an expansive terrorist network referred to as the "Ten Rings" (of the Mandarin), and, my favourite, Rhodey vowing "next time, baby" on seeing a silver-grey suit of Iron Man armour.

Mild criticism might be that the final defeat of the Iron Monger is vague and not especially climactic, but it suits the purpose well enough, and the preceding fight between the two armoured knights is awesome.

A+.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #132
Rocker22
Side-Kick

Absolute loved it. Will get more detailed tomorrow.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #133
Nivek
Banned User

9/10 Really enjoyed it, one of the best adaptions I've seen of a Marvel Character.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #134
Tempest19
Banned User

So I leave home at 7:00 to catch an 8:00 PM showing of IRON MAN. On the way I stopped by Burger King and had an all American Hamburger kudos to the suggestion of Tony Stark. Also had some chicken nuggets. Then got to the theater. The place was packed, good news.

The trailers showed. They really kicked off with Love Guru and that Sandler flick for the summer action crowd. Lol. Kinda confusing, but okay. The Dark Knight and Indy trailers got applause. But, enough about BK and trailers- I came here to post about Iron Man.

The film starts off with BACK IN BLACK. Then it kinda has a slow start, at least for me, and I can see why Favreau may have deleted scenes here because this is where most of the deleted scenes were "what went on back home." The movie kicked it into high gear once Tony escaped. Even though, I think they should have kept more scenes with Yensen to have his death be more powerful.

Building the suit was awesome and generated lots of great laughs. The film was ROCKING!!!! Fast paced. Awesome action sequences. The crowd cheered at numerous moments, especially SHIELD. Robert Downey Jr. turned in a phenomenal performance and Bridges was menacing as Obediah. The final fight, although trumped by Transformers, had a lot more heart in it which makes it stand out in my books.

The final scene after the credits. Fangasm.

Overall 9/10. Don't really want to give much away other than once you return from the cave hold in for the ride of your life. And on the way home, don't be surprised if you feel the need to speed to some classic or heavy rock. Just leaves that vibe with you. First heavy metal hero as the back cover of the novel stated and that holds to be true. Can't wait for Iron Man 2, and yes I did just unintentionally rhyme.

Last edited by Tempest19; 05-01-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #135
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

I give Iron Man a 9/10!!!

I really really really liked it.

My problems were the following:

-It didn't seem clear to me
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
wether Stane died or just got hurt

-The arms in the air part from Iron Monger was silly
-Yin Sin being killed off

Oh,and by the way guys,I got to see the new Dark Knight trailer that is suppose to come out this Sunday,it was attached to the Iron Man movie print that I saw at work hours ago. I think Iron Man is one of the best comic book movies I have ever seen.

Robert is movie Iron Man and always will be IMO.

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 05-01-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #136
Nivek
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
I give Iron Man a 9/10!!!

I really really really liked it.

My problems were the following:

-It didn't seem clear to me
wether Stane died or just got hurt

-The arms in the air part from Iron Monger was silly

Oh,and by the way guys,I got to see the new Dark Knight trailer that is suppose to come out this Sunday,it was attached to the Iron Man movie print that I saw at work hours ago. I think Iron Man is one of the best comic book movies I have ever seen.

Robert is movie Iron Man to me and always will be IMO.
Dude,
he was Fried by that Energy beam. You see the Monger suit explode in pieces when it hit the core.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #137
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Dude,
he was Fried by that Energy beam. You see the Monger suit explode in pieces when it hit the core.
Oh crap,I missed out on that,I guess I was too caught up in thinking how kick arse the movie is! Thanks for passing that morsal of info on to me man.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #138
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

10/10

I. LOVED. THIS. MOVIE.

Now, can I have Iron Man 2 please.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #139
The Guardian
Forever In Darkness

Re: The Official Iron Man Rate & Review Thread

HEY GUYS, I JUST GOT BACK FROM SEEING THE MOVIE, IT-IS-FREAKING-AWESOME LOL!!! THEY GOT IT MAN, MARVEL, RDJ, JOHN AND THE REST OF THE CAST AND CREW, GOT IT RIGHT, AWESOME, JUST AWESOME!!! FIRST OF ALL WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T LEAVE YOUR DAMN SEAT BEFORE THE CREDITS ARE OVER OR I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN LOL, TRUST ME IT'S WELL WORTH THE WAIT!!!

NOW WHAT CAN I SAY ABOUT THIS MASTERPIECE THAT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN SAID!!! OK LETS START WITH THIS, RDJ IS TONY STARK PERIOD, HE DOES A GREAT JOB OF BRINGING THE CHARACTER TO LIFE AND SHOWS US THE CHANGES THAT TONY MAKES IN HIS LIFE AND AS A PERSON DURING THE COURSE OF THE FILM, THE REST OF THE SUPPORTING CAST DO A GREAT JOB IN THEIR RESPECTIVE ROLES WITH STANDOUTS BY TERRENCE AND GWENETH!!! THE ACTION AND CGI ARE SWEET, SOME GREAT MOMENTS STANDOUT AND YOU'LL BE ROOTING TONY ON EVERY STEP OF THE WAY, THEY ALSO GIVE SUBTLE HINTS AT HIS ALCOHOL ABUSE, IN SHORT THE MOVIE ROCKS!!! THEY ALSO SHOWED THE NEW INCREDIBLE HULK TRAILER WHICH LOOKS AWESOME ON THE BIG SCREEN!!! I'LL BE SEEING IT AGAIN 2 MORE TIMES, STARTING TOMORROW 10/10!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #140
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Just got back. Man, what a wonderful movie!

In my opinion, two things make this movie; The actors, and the guy directing them. The chemistry between each character and the skill in which their lines are delivered is flawless.

Robert, Terrence, Gwyneth, Jeff, and the guy playing Yinsen ( i apologize, i dont know his name yet ) all worked so perfectly together, it was amazing to see. The scene in the Jet with Stark and Rhodes getting blitzed together amongst a throng of stewardesses/strippers was hysterical! I knew the guys all have mad skills, but Gwynth really surprised me. She proved quite capable of keeping up with the boys in each scene she had with them.

I've read a few people mention they felt Terrence wasnt used enough, but to me his screen time was perfect, and effective in showing his relationship with Stark. And of course, his scene with the War Machine prototype bodes well for him having an even bigger part in the inevitable sequel.

Special Effects were great. Iron Man vs the terror group was breathtaking, and the final battle with Stane was quite exciting...all the little "easter eggs" were nice, (especially the inclusion of SHIELD, and you-know-who )...I would have liked to see a few SHIELD agents from the comics, like Dum Dum, Maria Hill ,or Jasper Stillwell (who actually worked with Iron Man early on), but that's ok...

All in all, a great superhero film. I always know when i've seen a great one when i snap back to reality at the end and realize im in a theater, lol, and wishing the ride would continue a bit longer...havent felt like that since Batman Begins.

10/10

Last edited by Kirk Langstrom; 05-02-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #141
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Noir View Post
I expected to dislike the score by Ramin Djawadi, but it works well in the film. It's no John Williams, but like I said, it's works.
Agreed. I've read a few complaints about it, but it worked very well, imo...

Old 05-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #142
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknightnomis View Post
Well if you ask me Captain Stacy, Tony Stark iniative program to get superheroes to registered with the federal government in the CIVIL WAR storyline lead to the death of Captain America or at least put Cap in a position for he Red Skull to take advatage off and have him killed.

But Tony Stark questionable morals have always been an appealing factor to the character to me.
Agreed.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #143
I am Batman
Side-Kick

I thought the movie was great, but I did have a few qualms with it.

-First I thought the beginning was fantastic but after Tony's escape and rescue I thought the pacing went a little too fast.
-Second I felt that there wasn't enough dramatic scenes. That may be a bad choice of words, I felt the movies scenes made it feel like a summer popcorn flick like Fantastic Four and not enough like a serious movie. (This one may not be very valid and my opinion might change tomorrow when I see it again)
-The action sequences which I thought would be epic were a little short and not that intense.
-Now I know that not all film scores are Oscar level quality but there are some that I can't get out of my head when I leave the theater like with Pirates of the Caribbean and Batman Begins. I left with nothing from Iron Man.
-This is more of a personal thing, but I felt Iron Man's first fight entrance with the guerrillas had no build up. Spider-man had a great build up with the music and scenes where he mysteriously saves the day and Batman had a great entrance with him taking down the thugs and eventually revealing himself to Falcone. Iron Man justs flies down and kicks ass. Though this was cool I felt it could have had a bigger build up.
-Again this is more of a personal thing that I have with all superhero movies: too much zero not enough hero. What I mean is they show too much of the secret identity and not enough of the hero doing what heroes do.

I think thats all my issues right now. I'm hoping a second viewing might alleviate most of my issues. It also might not have helped that I had high expectations for this movie. I had no expectations for Batman Begins and I was blown away. All and all though it's still a great movie and is now one of my personal faves.

P.S. Sam Jackson as Nick Fury=Awesomeness

"You're a stand up guy Bats, don't ever let them call you a crazed loner."
-The Flash, JLU
Old 05-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #144
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Oh, and I loved the little reel they had near the start, the one that showed the history of Stark Enterprises with old photos and magazine covers. Howard Stark, Obadiah Stane and Tony Stark...

It really helped establish a history there, while at the same time establishing Tony as a super genius when it comes to tech. Very good.

Agreed. Would of liked to see Maria included as well though.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #145
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

Ni...

Nevermind.

Movie was INCREDIBLE! Better then expected and the clip after the movie....Made me crap myself!

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Old 05-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #146
Overman27pj
Side-Kick

Just got back. A absolutely fantastic film, and I'm not a big Iron man fan. This movie had a great pace all the way thru. It had a great pulse as well, it had a very fun feel to it. Great humor all the way thru, RDJ NAILS the roll. Paltrow looks hot as hell, and Jeff Bridges is a great bad guy.

Funny too, cause he wastes a lot of bad guys, and its just about a power struggle for his own company. There is not a lot of the standard superhero glib, its just a great movie. I am pleasently surprised. Go see it! I voted 9/10.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #147
Robbie
Word.

I've posted all over the boards already, and if you've read this from me before I apologize, but Iron Man ruled. I agree with the earlier sentiments, the last time I left a theater that breathless was with SM2 and BB.

Add to this that my wife, a non-comic fan, loved and wants to see it again. What does that tell you?

And Tempest19, I'm with you, total Fangasm at the end. I'm going to see it again tomorrow.

10/10

Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #148
strikezone89
Smarks Chat CM PUNK :-/

i just saw it... and OMG
this movies was amazing!!!! it stayed true to the comics and the bonus after the credit was.... well lets just say i had to change my pants..
lol jj
most def. in my top 5 fav. suprhero movies of all time

1) The Dark Knight 2) Guardians of the Galaxy 3) Captain America: TWS 4) Incredible Hulk 5)The Avengers

"Let's put a smile on that face"
Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #149
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

Great thing about the movie was that it took care of all those boring Superhero movie cliches!

Pepper was part of the solution to Monger at the end. Rather then getting all MJ on us

and

Stark telling that he was Iron Man. Finally, someone who has no need for the secret identity shizzle.

and last but not least...

The pacing was fantastic! I wasn't bored out of my mind waiting for some Iron action!

Favreau for...

Avengers! Bring on Nick, Cap, Thor, Hulk. All of them! Great ending!

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #150
The Apocalypse
Pokeballin'

Great movie. I had low expectations going into it, but this is probably my second favorite superhero movie behind X-2. The ending was so-so though. The scene after the credits rocked.

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury...no. I don't like the guy, he doesn't need to be every important black guy in a movie. I was hoping they'd find someone else.

O well, it was a fun movie and I can't wait to see it again.

Closed Thread