The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 07-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
x-er
Side-Kick

Default Best of...

Hello x-fans!

This is x-er. I have been on the forums since the Days of Future Past era (under several usernames due to password issues) and I will confess I've never been much of a comic book reader. I grew up on the audiovisual content mostly, but I love the social themes covered by the stories -- minority discrimination, genocide, etc. -- and their conjunction with sci-fi elements -- time-travel and supernatural abilities from mutation/evolution, and so on. And I know the X-Men readers are the smart lot

So, I want to ask you, what are some of your favorite X-Men comic books ? I've read House of M, Days of Future Past, Demon Bear Saga and Age of X (so, not much at all) and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the plethora of comics out there. I'd really appreciate some experienced suggestions. So, I guess, take this as a space to write about your favorite moments from the X-lore.

Sorry for all the x-ing around ^^)

Last edited by x-er; 07-21-2017 at 02:45 PM.
x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: Best of...

For modern runs my favorite easily is Rick Remenders Uncanny X-Force. It's by far the best modern X-Men related story and up there with the classics imo. Just make sure it's by Rick Remender and it's not one of the later volumes.

Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon is definitely worth checking out.

Dark Phoenix Saga will probably top the majority of best X-Men charts. Then there's Mutant Massacre, Fatal Attractions and if you read House Of M then Messiah Complex would be a good follow up.

It's divided amongst X-Men fans but I do like Grant Morrisons run as well.

Last edited by def28; 07-21-2017 at 09:37 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
x-er
Side-Kick

Thanks def28! I will definitely be checking these out.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
fallenAngel
Side-Kick

I'd say definitely read the Dark Phoenix Saga. Despite being set up years before and bringing together a lot of threads, it's surprisingly a pretty concise and easy arc to read - and various collections are cheap and easy to find. It's just before Days of Future Past too so it has mostly the same characters, art etc.

If you can, most of the Chris Claremont era is pretty good (but it's decades long and broken up a lot in collections).

If you liked the Demon Bear Saga, I'd recommend more New Mutants as well. It's a hundred issues so it's a bit easier to sort out than other X-men titles.

Brand new stuff I'm currently enjoying is X-Men: Blue, the new Generation X (and the original one was good for a while too) and Jean Grey.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
fallenAngel
Side-Kick

I'd also check out some of X-Men Unlimited if you want some pretty good one shots. It was an anthology series with some cool stories. I don't know if there is a collection, but most comic books stores that have back issues should have some.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
x-er
Side-Kick

I'm reading Whedon's take (Astonishing XMen) and I can't say I like some of the art (it's mostly the use of flat backgrounds), but I definitely like the storyline and wouldn't mind them letting Whedon taking this to the big screen.

Emma Frost has her own agenda and that's great, but there's sometimes an odd, girly humor of hers that destroys her classier, colder persona (to me at least).

By the way, are there any cool stories involving Asteroid M? Ever since the Legends video game, I've always wanted to see something like that on film, but I guess the comics would do.

Last edited by x-er; 08-02-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
x-er
Side-Kick

That suicide scene in the Whedon run's shocking!! Good stuff.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
x-er
Side-Kick

Not done with Whedon yet, but would anybody know what issues involve Asteroid M? Ever since XMen Legends, I've been enthralled with that story. It's not only Magneto's secession but his attempt to put homo superior literally "above" the rest of humanity and the way it all comes crashing down.