The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Old 08-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #101
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Default Re: PS3: Slim

Are we losing anything in the slim? I know there's still gonna be a blu ray player, and the graphics will be the same, but what did they have to get rid of to make it smaller?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #102
BatMatt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
Are we losing anything in the slim? I know there's still gonna be a blu ray player, and the graphics will be the same, but what did they have to get rid of to make it smaller?
Well you can't have a PS3 that is not a Blu-ray player, because all PS3 games are printed on Blu-ray discs. Graphics will be the same, as will the rest of the performance.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #103
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

As far as my understanding the only thing lost was the ability to install an alternate OS.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #104
Benstamania
Shot first.

Which isn't a big deal and something I never considered a key feature.

I want a Slim, I really do....but I wonder how good EB's trade in offers are going to be? I know you could trade in your DS Lite and get the DSi for like 100 bucks or something...wonder if they will do the same thing here?

Trade in your current PS3 and get the PS3 slim for 100 dollars?

I kinda doubt they give people 200 bucks for an old PS3 though...maybe 150...

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #105
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
No backwards compatibility which means you won't be able to play PS1 and PS2 discs on it.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #106
Blackman
King Kong

But didnt the regular PS3 have problems with backward compatibility too?

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #107
Benstamania
Shot first.

That's nothing new though, it's not like every PS3 currently on the market can play PS2 games. Sony took out BC a while ago with the repackaging of the 80gb models. If you got a launch PS3 (80 or 60gb) you got BC...if you got a launch 40 gb (like mine, I just installed a bigger HD) you had no BC.

But then a year later Sony wiped BC from all models.

So...it's not like the Slim is the first one to do it.

Now if someone says that you can't install your own Hard Drive on the Slim then THAT would be a feature you would be losing.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #108
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
But didnt the regular PS3 have problems with backward compatibility too?
The first 60GB models (which is the one I have right now) has a chip that allows full BC with Playstation games. Then they released the 80GB model which didn't have the chip but it is able to play Playstation games through software emulation I believe. The 40GB is not BC compatible at all I think. I never had those versions so I can't confirm that. I just know Sony has said that from now on with the PS3 they are going to just focus on PS3 games.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #109
Benstamania
Shot first.

yeah....which sucks.

I have a feeling IF we get PS2 games we'll have to rebuy them again on the Playtation Store. If that's how I'll have to play MGS3 and 2 again..well, so be it.

But I won't be happy.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #110
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderRISE View Post
yeah....which sucks.

I have a feeling IF we get PS2 games we'll have to rebuy them again on the Playtation Store. If that's how I'll have to play MGS3 and 2 again..well, so be it.

But I won't be happy.
Well if BC is REALLY necessary to someone you can always just go on Ebay and buy a used 60GB model. It isn't like they are hard to find you are just going to be paying a little more. Right now I see a used 60GB PS3 that has been upgraded to a 160GB harddrive on Ebay for $389.99 shipped. Or you could just always pick up a PS2 for $100 and have it available if you ever wanna bust out your old PS games.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #111
amazingfantasy15
Side-Kick

Quote:
Which isn't a big deal and something I never considered a key feature.

I want a Slim, I really do....but I wonder how good EB's trade in offers are going to be? I know you could trade in your DS Lite and get the DSi for like 100 bucks or something...wonder if they will do the same thing here?

Trade in your current PS3 and get the PS3 slim for 100 dollars?

I kinda doubt they give people 200 bucks for an old PS3 though...maybe 150...
Why would you even pay $100 for a slim PS3 if you already have a PS3? It's the same thing, save your money and buy a couple games.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #112
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingfantasy15 View Post
Why would you even pay $100 for a slim PS3 if you already have a PS3? It's the same thing, save your money and buy a couple games.
Brand new system, more space, and more compact. Guess that is worth the $100 to some people. I read it is quieter in terms of noise as well.

Last edited by RedIsNotBlue; 08-20-2009 at 02:59 PM.
RedIsNotBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #113
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

The PS3's already practically silent, though. I've never once noticed a lot of noise coming from my PS3 unless I've been sitting right next to it.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #114
SsM
Hope Burns Bright!

Mine is only loud when the fan kicks on, even then it is barely noticeable.

SsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #115
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
The PS3's already practically silent, though. I've never once noticed a lot of noise coming from my PS3 unless I've been sitting right next to it.
Oh I agree mine isn't loud at all either. Just saying they actually did a side by side test I guess and the results were that the slim model was more silent than the fat model.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #116
Benstamania
Shot first.

I dunno, I'm not sure if I should buy a Slim or just upgrade my hard drive again, maybe to a 500 GB

There's no MAJOR reason I want it...mainly because it's a new design, which....I know that's a silly reason. I had the PS2, swapped it for the PS2 Slim, the DS Fat for the DS Lite..

I dunno, I just tend to do that, lol.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #117
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
I dunno, I'm not sure if I should buy a Slim or just upgrade my hard drive again, maybe to a 500 GB

There's no MAJOR reason I want it...mainly because it's a new design, which....I know that's a silly reason. I had the PS2, swapped it for the PS2 Slim, the DS Fat for the DS Lite..

I dunno, I just tend to do that, lol.
It is just the consumer mentality. We just crave new things it is mentally satisfying to get thew new thing even though it may not be THAT much improved over what you have already.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #118
eternalinferno
Side-Kick

Thas not entirely accurate, the most recent ps3s lacked backwards compatability but only with ps2 games, they do play ps1 games, and im pretty sure its the same with the slim, ps1 games can be played on all ps3s, the only thing lacking with the slim is the option to add another OS

eternalinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #119
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Who still plays PS1 games, though? Most of them are a nightmare because dual analog controls hadn't become the industry standard yet, so they're all awkward to control by today's standards.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #120
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Who still plays PS1 games, though? Most of them are a nightmare because dual analog controls hadn't become the industry standard yet, so they're all awkward to control by today's standards.
I'm playing through FF: VII right now.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #121
eternalinferno
Side-Kick

And I still play mgs1, and ff7 which I got from the psn, not to mention wild arms and castlevania: symphony of the night, if no one played ps1 games then ps1 classics would be pointless which it isn't, either way I just mentioned the ability to play ps1 games on all ps3s because someone mistakenly said that the slim won't play ps1 games along with ps2 games

eternalinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #122
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sony sells PS1 games on the store and they've been selling so people are still playing

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #123
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

PS2 games will be next. If not by the holidays, 2nd quarter next year.

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
KALEL114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #124
Superhero 101
DESI

i hope they start the PS2 classics it would be great.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 AM   #125
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
Actually here is the report to read for yourself. I know its not a huge deal but hey might make the PS3 a tad more of an attractive purchase.

Slim PS3 Much Quieter than Original with BD (Update)
According to early tests, the PS3 generates significantly less noise than the original console when it's operating; not only with games, but also when playing Blu-ray movies. Engadget measured the sound pressure levels of a Slim console and an original one, running the same disc, and got levels of 60 dB for the Slim and 70 dB for the original. Having 10 dBs less is usually perceived to be "half as loud".

As a disclaimer, note that no specifics were given about the test conditions, measuring equipment, or what specific version Engadget's "original" console was. But these initial figures show promise.

Update: gaming site DestructoidDestructoid has confirmed that the new PS3 is much quieter. In fact, that was the thing about the new PS3 that impressed their reviewers the most: "This thing is quiet. Scary quiet. 'WTF, is it even on?' quiet. Nick thinks the optical drive makes just a bit more noise than the original when inserting or ejecting a disc, but it didn't seem any louder to me. Either way, once your game or movie is in there, the thing is virtually silent."

Last edited by RedIsNotBlue; 08-21-2009 at 04:14 AM.
RedIsNotBlue is offline   Reply With Quote