The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 04-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #26
Sugarculted
Side-Kick

Default Re: Iron Man Critic Reviews

News of the World gave it four stars. I know it's a tabloid newspaper, but meh, at least it got four stars :]

Sugarculted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #27
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Finally,four stars. I'm glad that it seems like the action in the Iron Man movie isn't a general problem that the movie critics share!!

S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #28
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

I can't wait to see this movie this Thursday Night .

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #29
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

^Yep, 4 days 3 hrs. & 42 minutes to go for me.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #30
GNR
worships John Matrix.

I'm waiting for Ebert and Roeper tonight to see what they give it.

GNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #31
Nightwing 52
Things change

Edit.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:29 AM   #32
YJ1
Armed and Dangerous

Thumbs up Re: Iron Man Critic Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNR View Post
I'm waiting for Ebert and Roeper tonight to see what they give it.
Just saw the TV show myself. Michael Phillips (permanent Ebert stand in?) loved it and Roeper liked it. So, two thumbs up.

Michael Phillips = All Raves

Richard Roeper = High Praise but complains about villain predictability

Iron Man At the Movies Transcript Highlights…

Michael Phillips: Every few months another superhero flies out of the comic books and on to the screen. Now, here’s a welcome addition to the roster. Quick witted and really well acted. Robert Downey Jr. plays Tony Stark, a hard living hedonist who… (Story and Plot Recap along with Cast: “Paltrow does her best work in years”) The director knows the value of keeping special effects in the service of the characters.

My question is will young audiences turn out for a big budget superhero vehicle that doesn’t go for the throat every second the way Transformers did? I hope so. This film is a LOT more fun then Transformers and Downey really was the guy to make Iron Man fly. I really like this film.

Richard Roeper: I’m with you, Michael. (Makes a Robocop crack calling Iron Man Globalcop) Basically, that’s basically the look. Robert Downey Jr. is this movie. His portrayal of that billionare guy is just in that Downey zone. The quick-witted, Playboy, fun-loving guy but then he’s also this genius who can put together this suit. It’s a long time before we get to meet Iron Man and it’s sorta prototype Iron Man.

Michael Phillips: How will the kids respond? This is a film that questions- is a weapons manufacturer learning to get a conscious about how he’s made his fortune- is that the kind of story that’s going to catch $300 million domestic?

Richard Roeper: I think audiences can handle the fun stuff as well as the elevated debate about weapons manufacturing. I think where it’s a little disappointing for me is in the last act. It’s obvious who the real villain is going to be and battle. I’d like to see Iron Man face off against a more worthy opponent.

Michael Phillips: The heart of the film for me is those scenes between Downey and Paltrow. And Paltrow really sort of…

Richard Roeper: She’s VERY good in this.

Michael Phillips: Yeah.

Richard Roeper: It’s nice to see her having fun. And I like the idea, because with most superheroes there does come that moment where you’re like, “Are they just going to solve crime in New York City or are they really going to put their superpowers to super good?” That’s what Iron Man is all about. So, I think this could be a lasting franchise.

Michael Phillips: I hope so. Downey is great.

YJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:24 AM   #33
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

I watched it and I give it seven and three quarters, close to eight out of ten stars.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #34
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Fox View Post
This dude just seems to be pissed at Hollywood summer movies in general, and picked IM as the escape goat. Man, you have every right to not like Hollywood movies or summer movies or whatever, but they get made cuz there´s an audience out there who still enjoys them and has fun with them. Most people may not like your beloved arthouse flicks about some dude talking to himself for four hours about what a depressing place the world is, but that´s the way things are...

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #35
Knightsaber Priss
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
One thing I do like about the Empire review is that it addresses what seems to be an inherent problem with a lot of these comic book movies. They have to make them all "origin" films, and the origin almost feels obligatory, the movies sometimes run out of steam early, and its like we can't get all the really good action until the second film.

It does ask a good question, why can't these movies start without origins and the characters fully formed ever?
Well duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! I've never picked up an Iron Man comic in my life.So you want to leave me, an uninitiated moviegoer out of the loop? I know what Iron Man is but I have no clue how he became Iron Man. It's nice as a nonfan to be clued in to these details you know.

"I know what you would say, and it would seem like wisdom, but for the warning in my heart." Frodo Baggins - Fellowship of the Rings

I have changed. Things that I once wanted are now but a distant memory forever cloaked in the shadows of the twilight of the past.
Knightsaber Priss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #36
ultimatefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dev Adam View Post
What does critics know? Kubrick's 2001 was TOTALLED at the time of its release. CITIZEN KANE was lambasted to death at the time of its release and stayed that way for DECADES until it was rediscovered and touted with the (overblown) title of Best Movie of All Time.
I don´t have necessarily a problem with critics in general, but I find nothing but pointless this rant about how Hollywood´s commercial movies are unoriginal and formulaic. Of course this doesn´t mean the movies have to be all the same, and they´re not, necessarily, but formulas are used because they work, because people enjoy to see action scenes, comedy, romance, etc. The more unconventional films are targeted at a specific, usually smaller audience, and they have their place. Sometimes, a movie that doesn´t seem to be the flavor of the month becomes a surprise hit, like Juno - how many studio executives would think a comedy about a pregnant teen would make blockbuster numbers? -, but you can´t expect things like that to happen all the time.

Even Iron Man, I mean, of course it´s not an art film, but it deals with the topics of war and weapons manufacturing, more delicate than ever in this day and age, and from what I´ve seen in the clips and trailers, it doesn´t shy away from the more gray areas of those topics.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:

Last edited by ultimatefan; 04-28-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #37
ultimatefan

Heh, for some reason the Newsblaze review was removed and the Tomatometer got back to 83%. Maybe dude wasn´t a registered critic or something.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #38
JediMasterConor
Side-Kick

i'm confused because the tomatometer keeps going up and down with reviews being removed

JediMasterConor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #39
Knightsaber Priss
Lone Wolf

Anyone see this review yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB4loah_sXw

"I know what you would say, and it would seem like wisdom, but for the warning in my heart." Frodo Baggins - Fellowship of the Rings

I have changed. Things that I once wanted are now but a distant memory forever cloaked in the shadows of the twilight of the past.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #40
Darknightnomis
The Dark Knight Strikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
Anyone see this review yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB4loah_sXw
WOW! Now that was a Glowing review for the film. From Variety no less.

THE DARK KNIGHT!!!!

Last edited by Darknightnomis; 04-28-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Darknightnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #41
Thot
Side-Kick

Movie critics' opinions have never meant squat to me. Anyone who allows critical reviews to influence their decision as to whether or not they go to see a film is a dipstick. Movie critics are notoriously biased and frequently disagree with each other. Honestly, who gives a damn what they think? If I'm interested in a movie, at any point, I will go see it, regardless, and make up my own mind. Newpapers, magazines, internet sites shouldn't even employ movie critics. Having said all that, I will most definitely be in line on Friday for Iron Man, it's looking fantastic!!!

Thot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #42
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Lots of positive buzz! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGiEMkvyvAA

Last edited by Kirk Langstrom; 04-28-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Kirk Langstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #43
Knightsaber Priss
Lone Wolf

RT has the movie with an 86% Fresh Rating for the moment. That's pretty good so far IMHO.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/

Am I too bold to say that Iron Man is probably going to be the movie that Transformers should have been, a pleasing all around experience for newcomers and fans?

Last edited by Knightsaber Priss; 04-28-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #44
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Am I too bold to say that Iron Man is probably going to be the movie that Transformers should have been, a pleasing all around experience for newcomers and fans?
Transformers grossed $319 mil domestically, $707 WW. Do you think IM will make more? TF has a 80% RT community rating, a B+ on Box Office Mojo, B+ Yahoo user rating and a 7.5 rating on IMDB. I'd say TF did a pretty good job of being a pleasing all around experience.

And now this thread will completely deteriorate into how TF is the worst movie of all time.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #45
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

TF has bigger action setpieces, but IM is a better movie.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #46
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
One thing I do like about the Empire review is that it addresses what seems to be an inherent problem with a lot of these comic book movies. They have to make them all "origin" films, and the origin almost feels obligatory, the movies sometimes run out of steam early, and its like we can't get all the really good action until the second film.

It does ask a good question, why can't these movies start without origins and the characters fully formed ever?
Because the general audience wants to know where these characters came from and wants to know how they got their powers. You can't assume these films are just made for comic fans, the character needs an introduction to the general audience.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #47
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) ist ein gemachter Mann. Durch Intelligenz und Rücksichtslosigkeit hat er mit seinen Waffensystemen Milliarden gescheffelt und führt das Leben eines Rockstars.
Bei der Vorführung eines neuen Raketensystems in Afghanistan wird er von Terroristen entführt, die ihn zwingen, seine neueste Waffe für sie nachzubauen. Statt sich ihren Befehlen zu beugen, baut er sich selbst eine Rüstung, die ihm die Flucht ermöglicht.
Nachdem er mit eigenen Augen gesehen hat, was seine Waffen in den falschen Händen anrichten, beschließt er, seine Fähigkeiten von nun an für das Gute zu benutzen.

Iron Man ward geboren.

Es wird ein spannender Mai. Mit Indiana Jones 4, Speed Racer und Iron Man lassen die Studios drei heiß erwartete Effektorgien aus ihren Käfigen, um den Kinosommer einzuleiten. Den Anfang macht Iron Man, und was soll ich sagen...

Er rockt.

größere AnsichtIron Man

Iron Man bietet genau das, was man nach den Trailern erwarten konnte: Großartig gemachte Action, Unmengen an technischen Gimmicks und einen herrlich aufgelegten Robert Downey Jr.
Regisseur Jon Favreau, der sich selbst eine schicke Nebenrolle als Starks Bodyguard gegeben hat, zeigt sich erstaunlich fähig, einen Film dieses Budgets (das Presseheft spricht von 150 Mio. Dollar) in der Bahn zu halten und streut für die Fans der Vorlage auch einige nette Anspielungen ein. Dass Gwyneth Paltrow als Starks Assistentin "Pepper" Potts den Augen ebenfalls nicht weh tut, macht die Netzhautmassage komplett.

Mit den besten Marvel-Verfilmungen wie Spider-Man 2 oder X-Men 2 kann Iron Man es nicht ganz aufnehmen. Einige der eingestreuten Gags gehen den Weg der Hindenburg, Downey Jrs Schnurrbart sieht aus wie von einer Laien-Theatergruppe, die Musik saugt zum Teil wie ein Loch in der Raumkapsel, außerdem wurden nach der Vorstellung vereinzelte Stimmen laut, der Film habe viel zu lang gebraucht, um in die Gänge zu kommen.
Zum letzten Punkt sollte ich allerdings anmerken, dass diese Leute Unrecht hatten. Objektiv. Iron Man ist objektiv nicht langweilig.

*ahem*

Lange Rede, kurzer Sinn: In diesem Jahr beginnt die Blockbuster-Saison am 1. Mai. Und sie beginnt mit einem Knall.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #48
Knightsaber Priss
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Transformers grossed $319 mil domestically, $707 WW. Do you think IM will make more? TF has a 80% RT community rating, a B+ on Box Office Mojo, B+ Yahoo user rating and a 7.5 rating on IMDB. I'd say TF did a pretty good job of being a pleasing all around experience.

And now this thread will completely deteriorate into how TF is the worst movie of all time.
It's not the worst movie of all time. Believe me there are far more deserving movies out there in line for this title. *cough*Meet the Spartans*cough*. It was just a disappointing mess for me as a G1 Transformers fan because it wasn't treated with as much reverence as Favreau has been treating Iron Man. To Favreau's credit he never put himself on autopilot and reasoned that the name alone will suffice. It would seem from most of the reviews I'm reading and seeing that he and his talent have taken great pains to make a satisfying experience for not just nonfans but fans as well. They respect the source material....and they also respect those who've had a great love for said source material, some going back to the 60's.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #49
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dev Adam View Post
Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) ist ein gemachter Mann. Durch Intelligenz und Rücksichtslosigkeit hat er mit seinen Waffensystemen Milliarden gescheffelt und führt das Leben eines Rockstars.
Bei der Vorführung eines neuen Raketensystems in Afghanistan wird er von Terroristen entführt, die ihn zwingen, seine neueste Waffe für sie nachzubauen. Statt sich ihren Befehlen zu beugen, baut er sich selbst eine Rüstung, die ihm die Flucht ermöglicht.
Nachdem er mit eigenen Augen gesehen hat, was seine Waffen in den falschen Händen anrichten, beschließt er, seine Fähigkeiten von nun an für das Gute zu benutzen.

Iron Man ward geboren.

Es wird ein spannender Mai. Mit Indiana Jones 4, Speed Racer und Iron Man lassen die Studios drei heiß erwartete Effektorgien aus ihren Käfigen, um den Kinosommer einzuleiten. Den Anfang macht Iron Man, und was soll ich sagen...

Er rockt.

größere AnsichtIron Man

Iron Man bietet genau das, was man nach den Trailern erwarten konnte: Großartig gemachte Action, Unmengen an technischen Gimmicks und einen herrlich aufgelegten Robert Downey Jr.
Regisseur Jon Favreau, der sich selbst eine schicke Nebenrolle als Starks Bodyguard gegeben hat, zeigt sich erstaunlich fähig, einen Film dieses Budgets (das Presseheft spricht von 150 Mio. Dollar) in der Bahn zu halten und streut für die Fans der Vorlage auch einige nette Anspielungen ein. Dass Gwyneth Paltrow als Starks Assistentin "Pepper" Potts den Augen ebenfalls nicht weh tut, macht die Netzhautmassage komplett.

Mit den besten Marvel-Verfilmungen wie Spider-Man 2 oder X-Men 2 kann Iron Man es nicht ganz aufnehmen. Einige der eingestreuten Gags gehen den Weg der Hindenburg, Downey Jrs Schnurrbart sieht aus wie von einer Laien-Theatergruppe, die Musik saugt zum Teil wie ein Loch in der Raumkapsel, außerdem wurden nach der Vorstellung vereinzelte Stimmen laut, der Film habe viel zu lang gebraucht, um in die Gänge zu kommen.
Zum letzten Punkt sollte ich allerdings anmerken, dass diese Leute Unrecht hatten. Objektiv. Iron Man ist objektiv nicht langweilig.

*ahem*

Lange Rede, kurzer Sinn: In diesem Jahr beginnt die Blockbuster-Saison am 1. Mai. Und sie beginnt mit einem Knall.
en ingles, por favor!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #50
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Well duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! I've never picked up an Iron Man comic in my life.So you want to leave me, an uninitiated moviegoer out of the loop? I know what Iron Man is but I have no clue how he became Iron Man. It's nice as a nonfan to be clued in to these details you know.
Not necessarily. Blade and X-men weren't origin movies for example (X-men can be argued really but hey). I think plenty of movies can just start with the existence of the character and have it be explained somewhere in the movie. Not saying that it would necessarily work for a character like Iron Man but superhero movies have become awfully formulaic.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote