The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #26
spark627
Side-Kick

Default Re: Firefly's Fillion Moves into Castle

I watched this last night and while it was not really original... Nathan's charm is undeniable, I will def watch next week.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #27
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

It kind of reminds me of Bones except Fillon ups the charm level much higher than Boreanaz.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
lou2099
soulless zombie

Because there was nothing on and I had nothing else to do, I caught the last 15 or so minutes of the series opener. I like the chemistry between the leads, but this is a run of the mill crime caper. Seriously, a novelist following a cop? I felt like I was watching something in 1989, not 2009. I actually would rather see how The Unusuals fares.

And boom goes the dynamite. Deadpool...wins.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #29
carrrnuttt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2099 View Post
Because there was nothing on and I had nothing else to do, I caught the last 15 or so minutes of the series opener. I like the chemistry between the leads, but this is a run of the mill crime caper. Seriously, a novelist following a cop? I felt like I was watching something in 1989, not 2009. I actually would rather see how The Unusuals fares.
*sigh*

I'll just go ahead, and quote myself. Don't feel like typing what would be a similar response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt View Post
I prefer the new twist, where the "helper" is not a writer, but has a great imagination also, as well as a hyper-insight into things. I think it's called "Psych". Or is it "Bones"?

Who cares if the premise is a pre-used one? All the different versions of CSI and Law & Order all carried the same basic premise, yet all were successfull in their own rights.

Not to mention, I don't remember Jessica Fletcher ever having had to partner with an actual cop, who also serves as an antagonist, and possible love interest.

I can't stand people who are negative simply for the sake of attempting to display their "mental superiority" over the source material and those who might end up liking it. It's really easy to spot, as it usually tries to reference vague cultural or pop references as a counter, and doesn't usually bring anything of note into the discussion, aside from a new tangent for a pointless argument.
What's worse is, you based your comment on viewing the last 15 minutes of the show, while everyone that has actually seen the full show seem to have nothing but good reviews of it.

Now, I'm still reserving judgement, as I have yet to watch it on DVR (got home too late last night), but hey.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #30
lou2099
soulless zombie

Quote:
What's worse is, you based your comment on viewing the last 15 minutes of the show, while everyone that has actually seen the full show seem to have nothing but good reviews of it.
I don't need to see an entire show to critique it. Notice I didn't say it was bad, but it didn't take a whole lot to see that it was run of the mill.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #31
carrrnuttt
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't need to see an entire show to critique it. Notice I didn't say it was bad, but it didn't take a whole lot to see that it was run of the mill.
Oh, Jesus H. Christ.

EVERY show runs on a formula. How many "buddy cop" shows and movies did we get subjected to in the last half century? A lot failed, but more than a handful succeeded--which tells us that a rehashed premise does not equal bad. (see: Law & Order, CSI series)

Also, the red highlighted portion of your statement, has got to be one of the dumbest things I have read on these forums, and that's saying something.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #32
lou2099
soulless zombie

Quote:
Also, the red highlighted portion of your statement, has got to be one of the dumbest things I have read on these forums, and that's saying something.
Do you have stock in Disney or something? It's not dumb. LOTS of people walk out of movies, leave the room or change the channel if they feel the movies, television or sports they are watching sucks or is less than ordinary, they are satisfied with it, no matter what anyone else might say. There's nothing wrong with doing that! .

I watch unoriginal stuff ALL THE TIME. In this instance, and from however little I watched, I felt the unoriginality was incredibly blatant, that's my prerogative to opine in that manner.

Just watch your precious show before it gets cancelled. You picked the wrong week to start crap with me.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #33
carrrnuttt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Just watch your precious show before it gets cancelled. You picked the wrong week to start crap with me.
MY precious show? I don't even have an opinion on it yet, as I have to yet watch it on DVR--likely this afternoon, when I get home.

It's not about the show, kemo-sabe. It's about reasonableness, and my abhorrence for obtuse reasoning. You've pretty much admitted that you didn't really watch the show, and that your whole conclusion was reached by judging the premise.

If you're counting the last few minutes you watched at the end, please note that it's the BEGINNING of the show that's supposed to hook you in. If you leave the show after the beginning underwhelms you, then more power to you. I have done the same plenty of times. But if you tuned in at the very end with simply a preconceived notion about the premise as your arsenal, as opposed to--you know--the whole story before that, and are using that as your basis for a "review," then you're about as qualified to perform said "review" as my left foot, that has yet to sit through the show.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #34
spark627
Side-Kick

Quote:
Considering the high ratings it got, prob gonna stick around for a while

Old 03-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #35
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

It's definitely Bones-esque (Boreanaz and Deschanel's dynamic making it a heavy favorite of mine) but I'm a big fan of Fillion and I like the chemistry of the two leads so far. The "you no have no idea" line at the end worked really well. I just wonder how they're going to realistically keep him so closely involved in cases week to week.

Also this makes Monday's 3 straight hours of quality TV again with House and 24 on at 8 and 9. I'm glad ABC filled the Boston Legal timeslot with something worthy of it's predecessor.

Last edited by Poetic Chaos; 03-10-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #36
Timstuff
Banned User

Although the murder mystery genre has been very saturated for years, it's nice to see a buddy cop show that's actually FUN every once in a while. As USA Network figured out long ago, it takes a good, interesting lead character to make a murder mystery show endearing. Castle is a very interesting and unique character, and I look forward to seeing how this show holds up beyond the pilot. I definitely liked the pilot, so hopefully the show can keep me intereted. After shows like Law and Order CSI sucked all the fun out of the cop genre, Castle is a reminder of why the genre can actually be good.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #37
GL1
It's pronounced "glee"

I'll have to check this out...

too bad the rest of the cast isn't as... stand out.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #38
Ghostvirus
Side-Kick

Thought Falliion's Character was cool. Didn't like how they put them together at the end, but I suppose that was the only way to do it.

Also loved the fact that Patterson admits that he is nothing but a money grubbing talentless whore in the poker scene. Acting or not. It was nice to hear him basically say it.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #39
JackBauer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
Although the murder mystery genre has been very saturated for years, it's nice to see a buddy cop show that's actually FUN every once in a while. As USA Network figured out long ago, it takes a good, interesting lead character to make a murder mystery show endearing. Castle is a very interesting and unique character, and I look forward to seeing how this show holds up beyond the pilot. I definitely liked the pilot, so hopefully the show can keep me intereted. After shows like Law and Order CSI sucked all the fun out of the cop genre, Castle is a reminder of why the genre can actually be good.
Right on. It's why Life works so well.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #40
cyborg ninja 14
God, I love your accent

I caught about 2/3 of the pilot. It was pretty entertaining.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #41
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I'll pass on this. Love Fillion, but cant get into this.

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #42
carrrnuttt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvirus View Post
Also loved the fact that Patterson admits that he is nothing but a money grubbing talentless whore in the poker scene. Acting or not. It was nice to hear him basically say it.
I FINALLY got to watch it just now (it's been a BUSY week), and I liked that scene, being an avid reader myself. It was actually better than I expected, because I actually never liked Bones, so I wasn't too sure. I get a similar vibe as I did with Life, as far as the cleverness of the writers, but the humor is totally different, but it was good in its own right.

I actually went online to some blogs and reviews, and they all mostly seemed to like the show and its potential.

Quote:
From the first episode, the thing that told me that Iíd like this show was a scene so short yet so effective: Castleís standing poker game with James Patterson and Steven J. Cannell. It was an excellent way to show the viewers that Castle is considered a successful author to the likes of these two guys, and the banter amongst them was something Iím sure made any fan of either author squee in delight. Unfortunately, thereís no poker game in episode three, though I have to imagine weíll see more later, and possibly (hopefully!) with other notable authors like Stephen King.
Great idea. Other crime and thriller novelists possibly doing cameos on the show from time to time.

Here's an interesting tidbit about the poker game I found, though I can't vouch for its authenticity:

Quote:
Quote:
The scene was originally scripted to include King, Patterson, and Sue Grafton. Read into that what you will based on who actually appeared.
I think Iíve read interviews with King where he spoke none too highly of Pattersonís writing abilities (I couldnít agree more). Thus it may have been a difficulty getting them to be amiable enough to do a scene together.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #43
The Apatow Crew
Banned User

Anyone watch the last ep. It was pretty good.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #44
fu manchu
Side-Kick

was that the babysitter one? yeah, it was good.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #45
imdaly
- Part 12

I'm loving this show.

Oh, and how old is the daughter on this show? I need to know if I'm supposed to feel guilty or not.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #46
fu manchu
Side-Kick

i think you'll be feeling guilty. she looks 13 to me.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #47
imdaly
- Part 12

Just looked it up.

She's 15.

...crap.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #48
The Apatow Crew
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fu manchu View Post
was that the babysitter one? yeah, it was good.
No, it was about a bunch of rich kids and one of them ends up dead due to something going wrong.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #49
Ghostvirus
Side-Kick

I have totally forgot to check this show out since the Pilot. LOL! I guess that isn't a good sign.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #50
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

I like Fillion....but another crime show? Please no...