The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man Sequels

Old 05-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #26
spiderfan970
Side-Kick

Default Re: Where should they go from here ?

That's a lot of stuff in one movie, I think it only needs one villain (Mandarin). But everything else I agree with.

spiderfan970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #27
Roaring_Hulk!
Side-Kick

I want Iron Man working more with SHIELD, since SHIELD was set up with the agents providing him a cover story and Fury's appearance.

Have Stark being reluctant about the Avengers Initiative, even though he "was willing to help with their green problem".

Roaring_Hulk! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #28
Ash Talon
Side-Kick

I think it's safe to say that there won't be an Iron Man 3. From the sounds of it, Iron Man 3 will actually be the Avengers film. I'm guessing Marvel doesn't want to drag out their franchises too much, but we'll see how it all pans out.

Assuming there won't be an Iron Man 3, which villain(s) should they use? Not only for Iron Man 2 but also the Avengers movie? I know everyone wants Mandarin, but I think I'd prefer Justin Hammer.

If Justin Hammer is used, how about this? Justin Hammer is a rival weapons manufacturer. Since Stark stops making weaposn, Hammer's business has skyrocketed. When some of his technology seems familar, Stark investigates and realizes it's his stolen technology. Stark as Iron Man has to stop the abuse of his technology. However, Hammer employs a small team of villains which incorporate a variety of Stark weapons in their costumes. You could have Whip/Blacklash, Blizzard, Beetle, etc. as Hammer employees. This would basically be a mini-Armor Wars. Maybe even at the end, it could be revealed that the govt also has some of Stark's tech in-line for their own military applications. You could easily fit the alcoholism into this storyline, as well as a Rhodes filling in for Stark as IM. War Machine could be created in the last act to give Rhodes something to wear and help Stark fight the army of bad guys.

As for the Mandarin, I'd make the Rings mysterious in nature. You could allude to them being alien in origin but it doesn't have to be stated. Fin Fang Foom could be incorporated and tied into the rings as well, like later in the comics. Mandarin finds the rings and creates his own mini-empire around their power. Maybe he wants to create his own power supply via the alien tech that will he'll have a monopoly on. However, he doesn't fully understand the tech, and the constant use of the rings awakens and unleashes FFF on the public. IM has to stop both the Mandarin and FFF. In order to stop FFF, IM overloads the rings which destroys Mandarin and puts FFF back into slumber. Or War Machine or Thor is needed to help. Thor can even be introduced earlier in a scene with Nick Fury and SHIELD. He doesn't have to be in costume as that point. In fact, Thor's modern day look in the films could be totally different than what he wears in his Asgard-based solo film. Perhaps SHIELD gives him a more modern look?

If Mandarin isn't used in Iron Man 2, could he and FFF be adequate villains for the Avengers movie?

I would just be cautious doing another corporate takeover story. Too much similar ground can be the kiss of boredom. FFF might be overboard. Same with Mandarin. I think you can still stick to tech-based villains, but just another bad guy in a suit can be too similar to Iron Monger.

Titanium Man/Crimson Dynamo could also be done, along with Black Widow. Russia is still a wild card in today's world, however they work better in their Cold War days. Also, TM and CD have really silly names, and they'd have to dance around that. As much as I like them in the comics, I wouldn't use them in the films.

Ash Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #29
Victarion
Cut

Given the heavy science-fiction elements with Iron Man, I don't really see how Mandarin or Fin Fang Foom are outside the realm of possibility at all. You just have to ease into the supernatural element, rather than through us smack dab in the middle of it.

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #30
Chewy
REDACTED

Demon in a Bottle/War Machine; Villains: Mandarin/Fin Fang Foom.

That's where they should go from here.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #31
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

they shouldn't force the demon in a bottle arc-- it would be too much too soon--

in the original comics, the "Demon" arc eventually led to State taking over the company, and Tony becomes a derelict for months on end (maybe a year or more in the comics), which is when Rhodey takes over..

-- in the movies, Stane is (presumed) dead.. Tony still controls the company-- he's re-established his good reputation, and goodwill toward Iron Man.. Plus, he's revealed himself to be Iron Man!

Opening the next movie with Tony going on a drunken bender and Iron Man crashing into an elementary school building would be too drastic, IMO.. how would he realistically dig himself out of that hole? He can't just "fire" himself, like in the comics..

and if "forced", it could come off as corny... maybe for part 3..

Last edited by Hypestyle; 05-29-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #32
Rich Santoro
Addicted to degeneracy

I would definitely like to see the introduction of the Mandarin (played by Ken Watanabe)

The Ten Rings was mentioned in the first flick. The back story could be that he has been colluding with different separatist, rebellion, anti-government, insurrgent groups around the globe in a master plan to topple the current global power structure (hence the relationship with the Middle Eastern Terrorists... but, wait, there are others too). He was coordinating with these groups to procur arms and technology (establishing the relationship with Obadia Stane)... which could lead to a tie-in with Hammer as another arms dealer relationship, and to Crimson Dynamo, Ultimo, etc.. There are a lot of ways to create some linkages to broaden the story for more sequels and for cross-overs into Cap, Thor, Avengers...

The rings can be introduced as having been discovered by Chinese Geologists after an Earthquake (originally as individual stones), and the Mandarin got hold of them when he was employed by the Chinese Government. He is still jaded over the Communist revolution that ended his families status within the "noble" class... and longs to over throw the Communist regime. Now he has evolved into a full-on megalomaniac. The stones can be established as extraterrestrial in origin, but then leave it at that (so that we don't get too hokey... no alien ship or tech... he is just a tech genius on his own, plus all the tech he has been acquiring through deals). He experiments to discover that the stones are composed of a high energy material that respond differently to different kinds of stimulus... He devises gauntlents with the rings so that he can trigger each stone's power by exposing them to small amounts of electricity, heat, cold, magnetism, chemicals, etc... thereby triggering their effects.

This could be developed to create a real powerhouse character with genius, resources, minions and personal powers to face any hero and/or team.

Last edited by Rich Santoro; 06-27-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Rich Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #33
The IronMan
Side-Kick

I think the ten rings idea needs to be brought out more in the second film.Introduce Justin Hammer and a non armor wearing villian.Have a scene where Tony is developing the war machine armor with maybe a picture of Rhodey super imposed wearing the armor.At the same time Tony going through his battle with alcohol.I dont want too much out of the sequel just all of this and more.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:15 AM   #34
jokerface89
Side-Kick

For the sequel bring in the Mandarin if they don't use the Mandarin maybe they could bring in the Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man and bring in tonys alcoholic problem,they should also work something into to the story about how stark told the public he is iron man

jokerface89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #35
FVD
Jolly Loves You

From what I've read about Bethany Cabe, she and Madame Masque have had quite a rivalry especially over Tony. And it's believed that Spymaster inadvertently had a hand in Tony and Bethany meeting for the first time.

And apparently in the IM Novelization, there was a tidbit during Tony's disappearance with Happy talking to Rhodey concerned about Pepper's emotional state. Maybe further down the road Pepper might get fed up of Tony risking death as Iron Man etc which could become a catalyst for her ending up with Happy.

But for IM3 Mandarin has to be the main villain. How they would fit Madame Masque or Spymaster in there however, would be interesting. And I'm getting an idea that IM3 should start with the Mandarin's origins from when he was young eventually leading up to his mastery of the Makluen science and whatever they can fit in between. Roll the opening credits for IRON MAN 3!! Then let the movie begin. And I do feel that Black Widow wouldn't even need to reappear either.

Last edited by FVD; 04-26-2010 at 05:39 PM.
FVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #36
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Someone on another website mentioned going all out and using Fin Fang Foom in the next Iron Man. I don't know about that but,

Iron Man 2 was sort of based on Demon in a Bottle, and they sort of merged Crimson Dynamo with Whiplash because they didn't want just another armored enemy like in the first one. So maybe they could do something like that.
From the commercials you can see, Whiplash talks about making him bleed and showing that he isn't invincible and watching as the sharks attack.
That hasn't exactly happened yet. So maybe thats what the next film could be about.
Whiplash has opened the floodgates to any and all challengers of Iron Man. The movie showed that from the moment he said "I am Iron Man." to the attack by Whiplash Tony Stark has sort of gone unchallenged. Either he easily defeated them or they weren't sure if they could fight him.
Like the Nolan Batman films, this next Iron Man could be about escalation. Iron Man wears super armor, years ahead of anyone's tech, and is sort of untouchable until others start to catch up to his tech.
So now Tony has to improve his tech and his enemies keep coming at him trying to take down Iron Man.

Some also mentioned that Dark Knight worked so well because Batman and the Joker are opposites. And the problem Iron Man has is that so many of his enemies are armored characters. And that the movies should go with someone different the next time.
And I heard they are thinking of The Mandarin. But they aren't sure if his rings should be magic, technology based, or not really rings at all.
Then there is the rumors of the 10 Rings Terrorist group, mentioned I think in Iron Man 1. (Its been a while since I saw it) and I heard it was meant to be hinted at in IM2.
So how about this:

Iron Man 3 features the Mandarin. A leader of a terrorist group "the Ten Rings" and has its fingers in several parts of the world.
The Mandarin is an anti technology terrorist, who wants to destroy all tech, maybe.
Or he wants the best tech for himself, stealing it and destroying others so only he has it.
Like he hires the Ghost to steal tech, and then they destroy the lab they steal it from. So the Mandarin would be the only one who has the tech. So maybe they target Iron Man because he has the best tech, and that gets his attention. The Ten Rings can send out their assassins like Madame Masque, Blizzard, Melter, Living Laser. They all could be cameos of sorts. Maybe only use two or something. But they are assassins using super tech because the Ten Rings has the best.

So how about that.

Last edited by Artistsean; 05-08-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #37
bullets
bang bang

I definitely think they will make mandarin technology based. They can use fake technology and it will still have that realism they have wanted to maintain.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #38
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

It would be cool, having the Mandarin be a terrorist stealing other technology and destroying it so no one else would have it because they you can incorporate the whole Armor Wars idea, and introduce some characters like Madam Mask and the Ghost and stuff. Of coarse only introduce as many as the film will allow without them being minor or unimportant. Then in the end, the final battle between Iron Man and Mandarin, Mandarin wont be another armor guy. He would be a regular looking guy who seems like a non threat to an armored Iron Man, but then because of all the tech he has stolen he is far more powerful than Stark is.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #39
SurfDUI
Banned User

Some questions

The U.S. army now has an 'Iron Man' weapon, now what?

The U.S. governments top weapons contractors C.E.O. is in custody, what's to hapen w/ the contract?

Stark Industries is moving in a new direction, we didn't get to see much of it, but I'd would have been a good time to name drop Pym, or Clayton Wilson. Is he still helping upstart inventors?

Tony and Pepper can't move forward can they? I'm not havin it personally.

Did Vanko do damage enough to the Iron Man name to have nutjobs come out wanting a piece of him like the plan?

And what about Vibranium breakthrough, what if it falls in the wrong hands?....then the Mandarin.

SurfDUI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #40
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I think it should be 2 hours of Rhodey whuppin' Hammer's @$$ for the "ex-wife".

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:24 AM   #41
Superhero 101
DESI

I think the Extremis story line from the comics would make a really good movie

Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #42
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

I think they need to make Madarin the main villain, and reveal he is leader of the 10 Rings and has been manipulating things behind the scenes. Hammer should be in league with him.

We also need to build upon Tony/Pepper's relationship. I don't think that they have the IM weapon anymore (I think it is likely Rhodey gave it back to Tony or is keeping it himseelf...I don't see the gov't having it now).

Mandarin should NOT have suit. Someone mentioned to me the idea of the Mandarin having his martial arts combat skills in tact (I agree), but for the rings...have them be mini-arc reactors. As opposed to gems that do different things or being alien rings, have the Mandarin create mini-arc reactors. 10 mini-arc reactors would easily be able to rival Stark's armor in energy production. Give Mandarin some kind of glove or something that allows him to channel the arc-reactor's energy, too.

I kind of like that idea myself.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #43
blueskirt

I wish they did not take so many good elements from different story arcs when they made IM2. The Demons In A Bottle, Armor Wars, Five Nightmares and the poisoning (which was somewhat similar to the nervous system breakdown from the comics) elements could have been given a movie each. By putting all four in the same movie, they will have an hard time revisiting these themes without people thinking they're watching a rehash of IM2.

Prior to IM2, I'd have thought they had enough material for five, maybe six different movies, now it's closer to three, four maximum.

From what Jon hinted so far, it's safe to say the third one will have more of Demon In A Bottle and the Mandarin. If they don't take too much elements from the Director of SHIELD and Haunted storylines for IM3, I'd like to see a movie that's a mix of these two story arcs and The Five Nightmares: Tony becoming Secretary of Defense or some important role in the SHIELD and being tasked to track down an international terrorist, one that's invisible, one that repeatedly humiliate him, and watching Tony lose his mind knowing it will get uglier before he manage to stop him.

Hopefully, by the time they're done with Avengers and IM3, Marvel will have published several great IM stories that won't be related to their big events so they can use as inspiration for the next movies.

Last edited by blueskirt; 05-16-2010 at 09:08 PM.
blueskirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #44
Arbiter
MercWithAMouth

I think they should have Tonys armor get hacked and the hacker hijacks it and takes control while Tony is inside lol

more cast coming soon...
Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #45
Superhero 101
DESI

What about they use the Mandarin from The Iron Man Armoured Adventures not the whole mandarin being a kid thing but the look of the Mandarin and background story of the Mandarin

Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #46
ironman_rick
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO'Connell View Post
Another thing Marvel could do is a Hulk & Iron Man team up movie after seeing how Hulk & Iron Man does
yea...marvel should just go with ironman vs hulk (and by the end of the movie they together with war machine team up to beat mandarin).

This is the only way i think IM3 can get around TDK's gross.

The joker is a huge name.....iron monger, whiplash/crimson dynamo & mandarin really aren't...... So in reality RDJ has to carry this whole franchise on his shoulders.

But somehow, i sense marvel doesn't really encourage cross-overs. I mean they barely mentioned TIH incident in ironman2.

ironman_rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #47
Joker8906
Side-Kick

Well TIH inncident hadnt happened yet when IM2 ends Hulks JUST finished causing damage at the university meaning Starks got about a 3-5 days before meeting with Ross.

"Watchmen is the book that if I owned a hotel I'd say to hell with bibles man I'd make sure each room had a copy of that bad boy in a dresser drawer." My English Comp Teacher
Joker8906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #48
Squidboy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
Someone on another website mentioned going all out and using Fin Fang Foom in the next Iron Man. I don't know about that but,

Iron Man 2 was sort of based on Demon in a Bottle, and they sort of merged Crimson Dynamo with Whiplash because they didn't want just another armored enemy like in the first one. So maybe they could do something like that.
From the commercials you can see, Whiplash talks about making him bleed and showing that he isn't invincible and watching as the sharks attack.
That hasn't exactly happened yet. So maybe thats what the next film could be about.
Whiplash has opened the floodgates to any and all challengers of Iron Man. The movie showed that from the moment he said "I am Iron Man." to the attack by Whiplash Tony Stark has sort of gone unchallenged. Either he easily defeated them or they weren't sure if they could fight him.
Like the Nolan Batman films, this next Iron Man could be about escalation. Iron Man wears super armor, years ahead of anyone's tech, and is sort of untouchable until others start to catch up to his tech.
So now Tony has to improve his tech and his enemies keep coming at him trying to take down Iron Man.

Some also mentioned that Dark Knight worked so well because Batman and the Joker are opposites. And the problem Iron Man has is that so many of his enemies are armored characters. And that the movies should go with someone different the next time.
And I heard they are thinking of The Mandarin. But they aren't sure if his rings should be magic, technology based, or not really rings at all.
Then there is the rumors of the 10 Rings Terrorist group, mentioned I think in Iron Man 1. (Its been a while since I saw it) and I heard it was meant to be hinted at in IM2.
So how about this:

Iron Man 3 features the Mandarin. A leader of a terrorist group "the Ten Rings" and has its fingers in several parts of the world.
The Mandarin is an anti technology terrorist, who wants to destroy all tech, maybe.
Or he wants the best tech for himself, stealing it and destroying others so only he has it.
Like he hires the Ghost to steal tech, and then they destroy the lab they steal it from. So the Mandarin would be the only one who has the tech. So maybe they target Iron Man because he has the best tech, and that gets his attention. The Ten Rings can send out their assassins like Madame Masque, Blizzard, Melter, Living Laser. They all could be cameos of sorts. Maybe only use two or something. But they are assassins using super tech because the Ten Rings has the best.

So how about that.
I really like this idea, but the only thing that I would change would be making Mandarin as true to the comics as you can. Make it appear that these rings are tech - have the rings appear to be tech that's advanced, even by Tony's standards, and he spends a chunk of the movie trying to discover how this is possible/spiraling into a depression that his suits are going to look like relics if Mandarin manages to mass produce his technology. It's revealed to be magic, which Tony doesn't believe one bit, fight fight fight, eventually science overcomes the supernatural and Tony's on top of the world again, yay team. The main thing that I see joining this Marvel universe together is being able to take a risk and hope the audience will believe that magic can exist in the same world as Iron Man. Otherwise, the Avengers will be doomed to failure when you have a Norse God flying around with an enormous hammer and striking enemies down with lightning bolts.

Squidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #49
Squidboy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
I think they should have Tonys armor get hacked and the hacker hijacks it and takes control while Tony is inside lol
This would be a good excuse to introduce a variation of the Extremis armor. Maybe this kind of event would make Tony feel he's open for attack as long as he's controlling the armor, so he creates an AI system (which is believable, as JARVIS has been around for two movies without complaint) that makes the suit essentially a living entity that he syncs up with. This could also lead to the possibility of Hank Pym trying to copy the same processes to make his Antman costume, thus creating Ultron.

Squidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #50
Chris B
Side-Kick

I like the idea of them doing an adaption of the 'Armor Wars' storyline. Explain that Vanko sold the blueprints of the miniature arc reactor to the Ten Rings in exchange for his passport to Monaco. The Mandarin then procedes to sell them to various nations and terrorist groups around the world and Stark sets about trying to destroy his stolen tech, causing a series of international incidents. The government and SHIELD opposes him and maybe Rhodey ends up doing so again. The Mandarin sends out the Ghost, Living Laser, or a returning Whiplash to try and stop Stark.