The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > The Comics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #51
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger
 
Ironfan72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Stark International
Posts: 2,206
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Knight View Post
Chris got to it before I had to say it. As for Captain America, the Brubaker run had been a major success. Also, Captain America was cancelled, because of the platform he was created on. It is hard to continue to market a character that is supposed to be this jingoistic super patriot. World War II was over and Cap was one of the largest propaganda tools of the time. But he did make a come back. Also, I don't know how you can say Iron Man never had a cancelled book.

Tales of Suspense #39-99 (March 1963 - March 1968)
Iron Man and the Sub-Mariner (April 1968)
Iron Man Vol. 1, #1-332 (May 1968 - Sept. 1996)
Iron Man Annual #1-15 (1970-1994)
Iron Man Annual '98-2001
Giant-Size Iron Man (1975)
Iron Man: Crash (1988)
Iron Manual (1993)
Iron Man 2020 (Aug. 1994)
Age of Innocence: The Rebirth of Iron Man (Feb. 1996)
Iron Man Vol. 2, #1-13 (Nov. 1996 - Nov. 1997)
Iron Man Vol. 3, #1-89 (Feb. 1998 - Dec. 2004)
Iron Man: The Iron Age #1-2 (Aug.- Sept. 1998)
Iron Man: Bad Blood #1-4 (Sept.- Dec. 2000)
Iron Man Vol. 4, #1 - (Jan. 2005 - Present) (this series was officially titled as The Invincible Iron Man in the comic's legal indicia; Retitled Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. from issue 15 onwards on covers only; the comic book would not officially be retitled until issue 29 (June 2008) in the comic's legal indicia).[19]
Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. Annual #1 (Jan. 2008)

Iron Man has had plenty of relaunches of titles.
lol, man that's alot of one shot's, limited editions and annuals that never intinded to more that one issue, so naturally they would be end as there never was to be a issue 2, 90% of what you have listed are all one issue series, like Iron Manual.
As for all the other's, the title was relaunched by Marvel, the title never stopped be published,unlike Captain America which was cancelled, not relauched, cancelled at least 5 times, not relauched and renumbered. Iron Man never stopped for years on end, it continues, get your facts straight.

__________________
www.advancediron.org -The Ultimate Iron Man Website.
Ironfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #52
Arach Knight
Abstraction of Logic
 
Arach Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,360
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
Also isn't more likely that Stark isn't the one who killed Cap or is it due more do to poor book sales? Iron Man has never been cancelled in his 45 years of published title's and I can't tell you how many times Cap's title has been cancelled, re-started, then cancelled again, etc, etc.
Remember at the end of the day it is a fictional character written by writers telling a story that didn't actually happen.
Well lets take a look at the sales of Caps book back when Cap was still alive. Time for a flashback to Janurary of this year...

1Hulk1$2.99Marvel133,8952Amazing Spider-Man546$3.99Marvel127,8563Captain America34$2.99Marvel127,524


Yep...Cap had terrible sales alright. He was only a few hundred issues shy of outselling Marvel's poster boy. And where was Iron Man's sales in all of this?
53Iron Man25$3.99Marvel38,041



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
I'll revisit this after Secret Invasion when all of Stark's self-serving actions help save earth and everyone on it from a Skrull invasion, you know, with a stronger Shield, Superhero's being trained to use their powers effectively, it's only self-serving when no one else benefits from those actions.
Wait you mean S.H.I.E.L.D. the agency that got taken out in the first issue of Secret Invasion? You mean the folks who got blown up on the Hellicarrier? Or are you talking about Tony's actions such as leading the Illuminati in a solo effort against an intergalactic alien empire without informing...I dunno...at least the rest of the super hero community? You mean those negligent "I'm supreme dick head...I mean dictator of the Marvel U, so I can decide to wage war against other races and empires, because I feel like it" actions?

The actions that gave the Skrull empire all they needed to be undetectable to magic, mutant powers and non-mutant powers? You mean the same Tony Stark that recorded his conversation with Jessica Drew? You mean the same Tony that brought the body of Elektra to another Skrull, even though in an issue of Illuminati, Black Bolt was a Skrull. You mean those actions that Tony took? Yeah...those are all world saving tactics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
And was it Iron Man's fault that Spidermans identity was revealed and they had to re-boot the series of was it due to the sales of Ultimate Spider man kicking the crap out of all the other Spider man titles and all the fans complaining about Parker being Married, blah, blah.
Wait...Spidey getting its butt kicked by Ultimate Spider-Man? You mean like that same Janurary where Captain America (when he was alive) was having such "terrible" sales that Marvel decided to assassinate him. You mean...these sales?


2Amazing Spider-Man 546$3.99Marvel127,856
28Ultimate Spider-Man 118$2.99Marvel58,753
53Iron Man 25$3.99Marvel38,041
38Ultimate Iron Man II2$2.99Marvel46,211

Yep...Spidey sure was suffering at the hands of his alternate title. By 26 whole slots...How dare Ultimate Spider-Man sell so far behind its mainstream counterpart. And just because i'm so nice, i'll even post up April (the most recent month listed on Diamond).

8Amazing Spider-Man555$2.99Marvel86,885
31Ultimate Spider-Man121$2.99Marvel56,622
58Iron Man28$3.99Marvel35,747

12Captain America37$2.99Marvel80,619
Ouch...Steve kicks Tony's rear end even from beyond the grave. Imagine that. I was even nice about the Spider-Man sales figures. Because I could have posted the other two issues of Amazing, which still outpaced Iron Man by leaps and bounds.

Arach Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #53
Arach Knight
Abstraction of Logic
 
Arach Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,360
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman24 View Post
relaunch's aren't out right cancellations, Iron Man didn't dispair for a year then get relaunched, like Captain America. Iron Man has never stopped being published.

Iron Man Vol. 2, #1-13 (Nov. 1996 - Nov. 1997)
Iron Man Vol. 3, #1-89 (Feb. 1998 - Dec. 2004)


That right there is a three month gap in publication. Not to mention the two month gap between volume 1 and volume 2. I'm not saying that he had lengthy gaps, but your assertion made it seem like Iron Man hasn't skipped a month in its entire run.

Arach Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #54
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
Yeah, I keep forgetting that Stark pulled the trigger, and Cap was on the losing side in Civil War. Civil War can be looked at the fact that Cap also betrayed his allies and formed a army against the US government.
Also isn't more likely that Stark isn't the one who killed Cap or is it due more do to poor book sales? Iron Man has never been cancelled in his 45 years of published title's and I can't tell you how many times Cap's title has been cancelled, re-started, then cancelled again, etc, etc.
Remember at the end of the day it is a fictional character written by writers telling a story that didn't actually happen.
I'll revisit this after Secret Invasion when all of Stark's self-serving actions help save earth and everyone on it from a Skrull invasion, you know, with a stronger Shield, Superhero's being trained to use their powers effectively, it's only self-serving when no one else benefits from those actions.
And was it Iron Man's fault that Spidermans identity was revealed and they had to re-boot the series of was it due to the sales of Ultimate Spider man kicking the crap out of all the other Spider man titles and all the fans complaining about Parker being Married, blah, blah.
Cap's allies were the American people, & his opposition was against an unjust law, not America. Don't get it twisted. And I know we're supposed to be law-abiding, but when the law is wrong, you can't be expected to blindly enforce it. As a black man, I can think of SEVERAL "laws" that were wrong & unjust, and only by direct oppostion were the people able to get them turned around.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #55
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger
 
Ironfan72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Stark International
Posts: 2,206
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

As I've said, I'm moving on from this hate fest, it's sad that all you have to do all day is try and prove me wrong, with very hate filled replies.
I've made my points and stand by them, my biggest being this is all fictional and never actually happened in real life, it's a comic book, if your taking this as personal as you seem to be, i suggest professional help, as you are twisting reality with fiction.

__________________
www.advancediron.org -The Ultimate Iron Man Website.
Ironfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #56
Ironman24
Golden Avenger
 
Ironman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Stark Solutions
Posts: 529
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Man talk about piling on Ironfan72, he made alot of great and accurate points, but it all got lost by the mean spirited replies, if you don't like Iron man that's cool, but don't hate on people who do.

Ironman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #57
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
As I've said, I'm moving on from this hate fest, it's sad that all you have to do all day is try and prove me wrong, with very hate filled replies.
I've made my points and stand by them, my biggest being this is all fictional and never actually happened in real life, it's a comic book, if your taking this as personal as you seem to be, i suggest professional help, as you are twisting reality with fiction.
1-nobody said it was real life. Why do you keep pointing out that it's fiction while at the same time defending the character? A character's actions can't be criticized within the context of the story in question? We're simply pointing out that the character-as he was written-came off as a two-faced, manipulative, self-serving jerk. We pointed out where his actions supported these statements. And this is hardly inconsistent writing with regard to how he carries himself. But if your only argument is that we should not attack a fictional character, then STOP DEFENDING A FICTIONAL CHARACTER. You take issue with others' logic but come from an equally illogical position.
And for the record, it's hardly a hate-fest either. It's a question of how we felt about the character before & after seeing the movie. I enjoyed the movie but it didn't affect my perception of the character one iota.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #58
Arach Knight
Abstraction of Logic
 
Arach Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,360
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman24 View Post
Man talk about piling on Ironfan72, he made alot of great and accurate points, but it all got lost by the mean spirited replies, if you don't like Iron man that's cool, but don't hate on people who do.
Mean spirited? What is this, preschool? I am an adult attending to a conversation about a hobby. I don't think i'm being mean spirited. Ironfan72 decided to make several erroneous statements, including...

1)Ironman having an uninterrupted run of his book
2)Captain America selling poorly
3)Ultimate Spider-Man outselling Amazing Spider-Man

Now if I point him out as being wrong with statistics that are can be identified, how does that make me mean spirited? For proving him wrong? It's not like I called him an idiot, a fool or stupid. Up to this point it has been an intense but rather cordial discussion. People can disagree and not be "mean spirited." And I agree with Chris. If you feel we are getting bent out of shape about a fictional character, then by the same measure you are getting just as bent out of shape by trying to defend him.

Arach Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 AM   #59
LadyKayoss
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 223
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Getting back to the original question here:

No, I wasn't an IM fan before the movie. I knew a little about him, since all the Marvel characters invevitably cross paths at some point, but I hadn't seen anything to interest me. I hadn't even had plans to see the movie, either; I still remembered when Tom Cruise's name was attached, which made me want nothing to do with the film. But RDJ isn't Tom Cruise, and the first trailer was intriguing. Plus, I really needed to get my mind off things going on in my life, and my only other option was "Made of Honor."

I think I chose wisely. 'Course, now I'm upset because I don't have the money to go out to my local comic book store and see just what I've been missing all these years (recent events like the Civil War aside.)

LadyKayoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #60
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron
 
Iron_Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Avengers Tower
Posts: 5,720
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Knight View Post
Or are you talking about Tony's actions such as leading the Illuminati in a solo effort against an intergalactic alien empire without informing...I dunno...at least the rest of the super hero community? You mean those negligent "I'm supreme dick head...I mean dictator of the Marvel U, so I can decide to wage war against other races and empires, because I feel like it" actions?

The actions that gave the Skrull empire all they needed to be undetectable to magic, mutant powers and non-mutant powers? You mean the same Tony Stark that recorded his conversation with Jessica Drew? You mean the same Tony that brought the body of Elektra to another Skrull, even though in an issue of Illuminati, Black Bolt was a Skrull. You mean those actions that Tony took? Yeah...those are all world saving tactics...
That's the stupidest thing I've ever read! So now it's Tony's fault the Skrulls are invading? So it's Tony's fault for them experimenting on superheroes and replicating thier powers? Ever here of the original Super Skrull? I guess that's Tony fault aswell. And even though it's written in thier history, in thier bible that Earth belongs to them, it's Tony's fault for the Invasion? and the rest of the Illuminati are innocent?

Yeah I can see how a frail human with a bad heart can bully the smartest man on the planet, one of the most powerful mutants on the planet and two Kings who are very powerful. Yeah they must've been scared sh**less when Tony forced them to go the Skrull Empire.

Please never post on the internet, ever.

__________________
Iron Man Three - May 3, 2013
Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - April 4, 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #61
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Knight View Post
Mean spirited? What is this, preschool? I am an adult attending to a conversation about a hobby. I don't think i'm being mean spirited. Ironfan72 decided to make several erroneous statements, including...

1)Ironman having an uninterrupted run of his book
2)Captain America selling poorly
3)Ultimate Spider-Man outselling Amazing Spider-Man

Now if I point him out as being wrong with statistics that are can be identified, how does that make me mean spirited? For proving him wrong? It's not like I called him an idiot, a fool or stupid. Up to this point it has been an intense but rather cordial discussion. People can disagree and not be "mean spirited." And I agree with Chris. If you feel we are getting bent out of shape about a fictional character, then by the same measure you are getting just as bent out of shape by trying to defend him.
That's the killing part; not one personal attack or ad hominum remark has been made toward any of the Iron Man supporters, & yet they're getting so defensive. If we're SO wrong to attack a fictional character, why are they geting offended by us doing so?

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #62
Arach Knight
Abstraction of Logic
 
Arach Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,360
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
That's the stupidest thing I've ever read! So now it's Tony's fault the Skrulls are invading? So it's Tony's fault for them experimenting on superheroes and replicating thier powers? Ever here of the original Super Skrull? I guess that's Tony fault aswell. And even though it's written in thier history, in thier bible that Earth belongs to them, it's Tony's fault for the Invasion? and the rest of the Illuminati are innocent?

Yeah I can see how a frail human with a bad heart can bully the smartest man on the planet, one of the most powerful mutants on the planet and two Kings who are very powerful. Yeah they must've been scared sh**less when Tony forced them to go the Skrull Empire.

Please never post on the internet, ever.
Yep...a guy with a suit of powered armor that is capable of taking out most of the people in the Marvel Universe. That's not a threat. The Skrulls only used a virus to take it out, because its so powerful...but that is hardly threatening at all right? Please save the condescending tone for somebody less formidable.

Tony's presence (along with the Illuminati) gave the Skrulls what they needed in order to remain undetectable. The Skrulls would have been likely to invade. They have done so several times in issues of Fantastic Four as well as Captain America (to name a few). So it was only a matter of time before they tried again. But what Tony did was stupid. He led a small team that told no one of their location or actions, against an alien empire. All Tony did was hand over an advantage to the Skrulls while simultaneously pissing them off even more.

So yes it is his fault. They wouldn't have as much of an advantage now, if he wasn't so controlling. And you made assumptions pal. I never said Skrulls got their power replication from Stark and the Illuminati. Super Skrull has been around for a while. And yes i'm aware of him. But you know what Skrulls couldn't do before Stark and his pals showed up? They couldn't pass for human around the likes of Spider-Man, Wolverine or Strange. But now they can. I think you should adhere to some of your own advice on posting.

Arach Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #63
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger
 
Ironfan72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Stark International
Posts: 2,206
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Well, I will say this, an aweful lot of attention has been given to an off topic "debate", the question was were you a fan before the movie, and apparently Chris Wallace and Arach Knight were not, thank for your comments, we appreciate them.
Thank you LadyKayoss for attempting to get this topic back on track, it's nice to see you take an interest in ol' shellhead, Iron Man: Directer of Shield is a great place to start reading if you so choose and Invincible Iron Man just started, issue 2 came out yesterday and was terrific.
And thank you Ironman24 and IronStark for your comments, it's a pleasure to see and hear from fellow Iron man fans, both of you made well thought out points, much appreciated.
As for any erroneous comments made about Captains Americas sales, those are correct, no mention was made about the current run, but of several previuos attempts over the last 50 years to make Captain America work and failed.
As for Spider Man, well mistakes happen, we are all adults, Utimate Spider Man is out selling most other titles and if I made a mistake then my fault.
And as for the Iron man run, again, after speaking with several friends who own and operate a couple local comic shops, they agree that Iron Man has had a uniterrupted run, they point the titles that will skip a couple months for reasons known only to the publisher, but in comic circles, Iron Man is considered to be a uninterupted series.
Now, I'm sure that didn't solve anything, I'm sure someone will have a intellgent come back and point out statics and misread comments and put there own spin on what has been said, as of now, for me this is a dead issue and I am moving on.

__________________
www.advancediron.org -The Ultimate Iron Man Website.

Last edited by Ironfan72; 06-05-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Ironfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #64
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron
 
Iron_Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Avengers Tower
Posts: 5,720
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Knight View Post
Yep...a guy with a suit of powered armor that is capable of taking out most of the people in the Marvel Universe. That's not a threat. The Skrulls only used a virus to take it out, because its so powerful...but that is hardly threatening at all right? Please save the condescending tone for somebody less formidable.

Tony's presence (along with the Illuminati) gave the Skrulls what they needed in order to remain undetectable. The Skrulls would have been likely to invade. They have done so several times in issues of Fantastic Four as well as Captain America (to name a few). So it was only a matter of time before they tried again. But what Tony did was stupid. He led a small team that told no one of their location or actions, against an alien empire. All Tony did was hand over an advantage to the Skrulls while simultaneously pissing them off even more.

So yes it is his fault. They wouldn't have as much of an advantage now, if he wasn't so controlling. And you made assumptions pal. I never said Skrulls got their power replication from Stark and the Illuminati. Super Skrull has been around for a while. And yes i'm aware of him. But you know what Skrulls couldn't do before Stark and his pals showed up? They couldn't pass for human around the likes of Spider-Man, Wolverine or Strange. But now they can. I think you should adhere to some of your own advice on posting.

Please, Strange, Namor, Black Bolt and Charles are too powerful to be bullied by Tony and Reed would've gone along with Tony since he's got a history with the Skrulls. Quit trying to act as if Tony put a gun to thier head and forced them to go.

Read the goddamn books again, Tony wasn't leading squat. He's not the leader of the Illuminati, he wasn't the one speaking to the Skrulls. They're all equals and equally responsible for what they did to the Skrulls and pissing them off.

Show me the scans or the issue and page where Tony takes control of the team, leads them to the Skrull empire and talks to the Skrull emporer himself with the rest of the Illuminati standing in the background not saying anything.

Was it his idea? Maybe, but the rest of the team could've said no and walked off.

Does this look like he was leading the team?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:



I posted scans of the Illuminati being equals, now YOU post some pics of this exclusive Illumanti book that only you and a few others have seen that shows Iron Man bullying, forcing and LEADING the team to the Skrull empire.

__________________
Iron Man Three - May 3, 2013
Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - April 4, 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return

Last edited by Iron_Stark; 06-05-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Iron_Stark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #65
Arach Knight
Abstraction of Logic
 
Arach Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,360
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Have you read Secret Invasion? Did you not see Tony call the rest of the Illuminati together in Illuminati, to which Namor remarked that he wasn't aware that the members could be called upon. Iron Man said he deemed it necessary. I never once said the word "bullied." Does leading sound like bullying to you? Did JFK bully the American people, or lead the American people? I don't honestly think i've seen such an illogical contortion and showing of immaturity in a long time. Even for the internet.

And this topic is on point. Somebody asked if anyone liked Iron Man before the film. I commented on how I loved the film, but I find his current incarnation to be hard to tolerate. Somebody then commented that Iron Man was one of the most under rated Marvel books on the shelf. I disagreed and openly stated that I may be too hostile or the character really has become piss poor in the face of some very low grade characterization (don't feel bad though Iron fans. I'm a Spidey fan and he has been written out of character). And if you don't believe that he is written out of character, then take heed of the scribes of these books. Even Brian Michael Bendis took jabs at how out of character many people have been, since shortly before Civil War (he does this in New Avengers). I don't have to agree that Iron Man is a great character. No more than you have to agree that he is currently not a fun character.

Don't sit her and blatantly lie about what I have said, ignore facts I post up to prove you wrong. The opinions of comic shop owners does not prove more valid than recorded history. I've shown charts with several gaps in Iron Man's run, that were more than the usual semi-monthly gap that is listed in the copyright print of every Marvel comic. As for Captain America's run, again I see ignorance prevailing. Don't try and tell me that only Cap's past history counts, while you discount the current times in which Iron Man has been outsold (gravely) for over a year, by Captain America. So Cap doesn't always have poor sales anymore than Iron Man has had a continuous run (and skipping three months is not a continuous run. That's one quarter of the year with no solo title).

Arach Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #66
Ironman24
Golden Avenger
 
Ironman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Stark Solutions
Posts: 529
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Touchy, touchy, a couple people here have anger issues and have no problem calling people lier's, very childish and down right sad. It's a shame how some people can't tell the difference between cancelled and relaunched. Ironfan72's right, Iron Man was never cancelled and Captain America was several times, deal with it.

Ironman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #67
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron
 
Iron_Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Avengers Tower
Posts: 5,720
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Knight View Post
Have you read Secret Invasion? Did you not see Tony call the rest of the Illuminati together in Illuminati, to which Namor remarked that he wasn't aware that the members could be called upon. Iron Man said he deemed it necessary. I never once said the word "bullied." Does leading sound like bullying to you? Did JFK bully the American people, or lead the American people? I don't honestly think i've seen such an illogical contortion and showing of immaturity in a long time. Even for the internet.

And this topic is on point. Somebody asked if anyone liked Iron Man before the film. I commented on how I loved the film, but I find his current incarnation to be hard to tolerate. Somebody then commented that Iron Man was one of the most under rated Marvel books on the shelf. I disagreed and openly stated that I may be too hostile or the character really has become piss poor in the face of some very low grade characterization (don't feel bad though Iron fans. I'm a Spidey fan and he has been written out of character). And if you don't believe that he is written out of character, then take heed of the scribes of these books. Even Brian Michael Bendis took jabs at how out of character many people have been, since shortly before Civil War (he does this in New Avengers). I don't have to agree that Iron Man is a great character. No more than you have to agree that he is currently not a fun character.

Don't sit her and blatantly lie about what I have said, ignore facts I post up to prove you wrong. The opinions of comic shop owners does not prove more valid than recorded history. I've shown charts with several gaps in Iron Man's run, that were more than the usual semi-monthly gap that is listed in the copyright print of every Marvel comic. As for Captain America's run, again I see ignorance prevailing. Don't try and tell me that only Cap's past history counts, while you discount the current times in which Iron Man has been outsold (gravely) for over a year, by Captain America. So Cap doesn't always have poor sales anymore than Iron Man has had a continuous run (and skipping three months is not a continuous run. That's one quarter of the year with no solo title).
No you said Iron Man LEAD the team to the Skrull empire and that Secret invasion id HIS fault.

Again I ask, POST SCANS OF IRON MAN LEADING THE TEAM TO THE SKULL EMPIRE.

Calling the team in to talk to them about an invasion is hardly "Leading the team"

I love people's logic, Iron Man did controversial thing during Civil War and he's labeled a douche, scumbag and other names I can't post, yet the beloved Spider-Man constantly acts like a little whiny beotch, puts his well being before his wife and old frail aunt, destroys his sacred vow of marriage because he's a selfish prick and makes deals with Satan, "oh it's the writers fault", "Marvel writers and Quesada are writing him wrong" and other B.S. It's F'n pathetic.

Just so you know, no Iron Man has never been cancelled, I've been collecting EVERY issue of his since '88 and it's never been cancelled.

__________________
Iron Man Three - May 3, 2013
Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - April 4, 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #68
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron
 
Iron_Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Avengers Tower
Posts: 5,720
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

edit, double post

__________________
Iron Man Three - May 3, 2013
Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - April 4, 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #69
Arach Knight
Abstraction of Logic
 
Arach Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,360
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
No you said Iron Man LEAD the team to the Skrull empire and that Secret invasion id HIS fault.

Again I ask, POST SCANS OF IRON MAN LEADING THE TEAM TO THE SKULL EMPIRE.

Calling the team in to talk to them about an invasion is hardly "Leading the team"

I love people's logic, Iron Man did controversial thing during Civil War and he's labeled a douche, scumbag and other names I can't post
I have not once used the word douche or any harsh names. I haven't over looked all of my comments so there may be a chance that I said scumbag, but even that is unlikely. Furthermore...Iron Man is the head figure of the Illuminati.

"The group forms at some time in the aftermath of the Kree-Skrull War, and probably after the Avengers/Defenders war. Iron Man realizes that each of the individual members had information about these alien races beforehand, and they could have collectively stopped it. He brings together the Illuminati with the Black Panther in Wakanda, and proposes that they form a government of superhumans."

Since he is the one calling them together each time, that sounds to me, like he is the leader of the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
yet the beloved Spider-Man constantly acts like a little whiny beotch, puts his well being before his wife and old frail aunt, destroys his sacred vow of marriage because he's a selfish prick and makes deals with Satan, "oh it's the writers fault", "Marvel writers and Quesada are writing him wrong" and other B.S. It's F'n pathetic..
Ummm...I never said that Spider-Man wasn't written out of charcter. In fact I specifically addressed that.

"don't feel bad though Iron fans. I'm a Spidey fan and he has been written out of character." Yeah...I pretty much already stated that Spider-Man has been taken through the crapper and improperly written. But thanks for adding in all kinds of fun comments about Quesada that I never brought up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Just so you know, no Iron Man has never been cancelled, I've been collecting EVERY issue of his since '88 and it's never been cancelled.
Ummm...I never said he was cancelled. I said "I don't see how you can say Ironman never had a cancelled book." I also said that he has not had a continuous run.

con·tin·u·ous
–adjective 1.uninterrupted in time; without cessation: continuous coughing during the concert.

Yep...I'd say three months (one financial quarter) pretty much counts as interrupted. You know...the opposite of uninterrupted. But thanks for trying to put words in my mouth for a second time. And thanks for demonstrating your utter inability to utilize something known as the truth. I love it when liars accuse me of things only to be later proven wrong through proper quotation.

And Iron Man Annual (one of his formerly regular titles) has been cancelled (The same as saying Spider-Man has had cancelled books, including Spectacular and Web Of). It has a four year gap of no publication, before being brought back (and subsequently cacnelled). Even then, Iron Man's main book (which is of contention) has had several two and three month interruptions. Several times (and you can quote me) my main argument was that Iron Man has not had an uniterrupted run.


All in all, you have been condescending and quite the jerk. I know people will disagree and even get heated, but you have no need to result to sarcasm and a jerkish attitude. You should learn something from Ironfan72. Obviously he vehemently disagreed with me, but he remained tenable the entire time we disagreed. Even when I provided facts (which I could tell flustered him) he kept a neutral tone in the conversation. You on the other hand have turned to all out verbal assault. Please grow up and stop being a liar by misrepresenting what people have said. I at least have the decency to quote you.

Arach Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #70
zmystico
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 423
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

I wouldn't say I was a fan, but I liked Iron Man and liked the cartoon, I was never much on comics...even my beloved Batman's. When I saw they were making a movie I got alot more excited about him, which led me to read up on shellhead's history. I loved the movie and would put IM as my second favorite superhero. I think the fact he's not some alien superbeing back from the dead really appeals to me like Batman, he's just a man thats using his intelligence to be more than just a man.

zmystico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #71
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger
 
Ironfan72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Stark International
Posts: 2,206
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmystico View Post
I wouldn't say I was a fan, but I liked Iron Man and liked the cartoon, I was never much on comics...even my beloved Batman's. When I saw they were making a movie I got alot more excited about him, which led me to read up on shellhead's history. I loved the movie and would put IM as my second favorite superhero. I think the fact he's not some alien superbeing back from the dead really appeals to me like Batman, he's just a man thats using his intelligence to be more than just a man.
I agree that's what appeals to me as well about Iron Man, he doesn't have super powers, (he does now after Extremis), but Batman would be in my top 5favorite hero's, I'm glad you liked the movie and hope you continue following ol' Shellhead's explotes.

__________________
www.advancediron.org -The Ultimate Iron Man Website.
Ironfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #72
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo
 
chiefchirpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,236
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Iron Man is here to stay no matter how flawed he is. Tony often forces his dreams to be reality at the expense of anything. That makes Tony Stark different from Peter Parker & Steve Rogers who are clearly more passive and let SHIELD give them jobs.

Goliath killed by Skrull Pym who definitely programmed Clor to kill, do not blame on Tony Stark & Reed Richards.

I always agree that Iron Man is Marvel's Batman. Not as noble as Batman, yet accomplishes more with greater implications.

chiefchirpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #73
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo
 
chiefchirpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,236
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
That's the killing part; not one personal attack or ad hominum remark has been made toward any of the Iron Man supporters, & yet they're getting so defensive. If we're SO wrong to attack a fictional character, why are they geting offended by us doing so?
So what’s your fav character – Black Panther?


Hmm, I say T’Challa is always the callous moron that keeps the cure for cancer out from the needy. And the comics always live by the sales of cross-events. Without it, Panther sells like 25k-30k per month. If it could be subject to cancellation.

Quid pro quo.


Last edited by chiefchirpa; 06-07-2008 at 08:17 PM.
chiefchirpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #74
Arach Knight
Abstraction of Logic
 
Arach Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,360
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
So what’s your fav character – Black Panther?

If it’s ain’t Joe Quesada pet ethnic projects it would be subject to cancellation.

Quid pro quo.
So you find fault in Joe Quesada (who himself is Cuban) attempting to diversify the appeal of comic books, by promoting titles that do not limit thelselves to Caucasian characters? Even alien races (Kryptonians, Shi'Ar, New Gods) are shown to be Caucasian in most comic book media. Is it that bad that Joe Quesada (being a minority himself) is understanding enough, that if you are to make these characters and worlds believable and appealing to all, that you will have to represent everybody?

That is why minority readership is so low for comic books. Because a minority child isn't as likely to feel like they can be the characters they see. I agree that Black Panther is a low selling book that has relied on gimmicks (some of which I dislike, such as marrying him to Storm) to maintain some sort of stable sales, but I would not assail the characters ethnicity in some poorly made effort to assault a member of these forums. Such remarks (based on the statements you've made and not on any reasoning you have yet to provide) seem to indicate a series of deeper issues that you may have with ethnic minorities.

If you have an issue with people disliking the character, then leave that issue with the discussion of the character. Do not be so ignorant that you would make racially charged (and questionable) remarks about any "pet ethnic projects." I am not a moderator of these forums, but I would say that such comments are uncalled for.

Arach Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #75
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 45,190
Default Re: Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
So what’s your fav character – Black Panther?


Hmm, I say T’Challa is always the callous moron that keeps the cure for cancer out from the needy. And the comics always live by the sales of cross-events. Without it, Panther sells like 25k-30k per month. If it’s ain’t Joe Quesada pet ethnic projects it would be subject to cancellation.

Quid pro quo.
Do you realize that this post is rather racist in tone? Do not continue to make such remarks here.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.