The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 06-11-2008, 05:53 AM   #76
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Default Re: Jon Favreau not signed on for sequel?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ2cool View Post
Marvel has limited production budget money for all their films like 800 something million and they already have used up $290 million of it. So naturally they don't want to bump Jon's paycheck because then it will cost too much since Robert too will demand a much higher paycheck.

You guys need to realize that ASAP.
I forgot about that limited amount of cash.

But can't they just increase his backend pay from toys and DVD etc?

Old 06-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #77
Gotham
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post

That may work.

I'm surprised the most, though, that they didn't contact him immediately after the release to lock him down. He did fantastic with the material.

Gotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #78
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
OK, just curious, is this really the only side of it? Everyone is ready to crucify Marvel Studios right now. And I don't think there's enough information to say these things.
Just get the guy signed and the fan backlash stops... end of story. I am sure this story will surface back to Marvel at some point. They can put an end to these reports immediately. They control their own destiny. There is only one right decision to make.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #79
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
Just get the guy signed and the fan backlash stops... end of story. I am sure this story will surface back to Marvel at some point. They can put an end to these reports immediately. They control their own destiny. There is only one right decision to make.
And if Iron Man 2 sucks, how many fans will be like "why did they bring Fav's back, that movie sucked?"

Old 06-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #80
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

RDJ is already signed to a multi-picture deal. He's locked in and his contract situation has nothing to do with Favreau's.

Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #81
Symbiotic
Let's go catch a Spider

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

Symbiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #82
hatebox
Side-Kick

I don't think Fav is totally irreplaceable as a director - this isn't Christopher Nolan we're talking about here. As long as the new director stuck to the source material and retained the light tone of the first film the change wouldn't be bad. Let's not kid ourselves, Iron man was enjoyable but it wasn't an inimitable masterpiece.

hatebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #83
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
I don't think Fav is totally irreplaceable as a director - this isn't Christopher Nolan we're talking about here. As long as the new director stuck to the source material and retained the light tone of the first film the change wouldn't be bad. Let's not kid ourselves, Iron man was enjoyable but it wasn't an inimitable masterpiece.
No, Favreau isn't irreplacable. Although the attention to character and dialogue and the light tone certainly has his fingerprints all over it.

But, the larger question is, who are you going to get that's any better than Favreau if the word goes out that Marvel Studios is cheap and ungrateful? And how does it affect Marvel Studios other projects? I think most people would agree that Thor is going to be a difficult project to pull off and cast, and having a bad reputation for employee relations is going to make it more difficult.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #84
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

These actors have gotten out of three picture deals before.

Eric Bana, Sam Elliott, and Jennifer Connelly all signed on to do THREE Hulk movies.

Didn't Downey Jr. also say he wasn't totally locked up yet for the second movie?

Besides that, Maguire was all signed for three movies, but he still almost didn't do Spider-man 2.

I think this news has gotten out of hand. Its one thing for IESB or who ever to talk about their sources. But then TRASH like Latino Review basically puts on a little rant and passes it off as journalism, without any relevant new facts even. All they did was regurgitate what was on IESB.

All of you are so quick to usually trash or take a whiz on anything Harry Knowles and AICN writes, but no one's doing that now.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #85
The Chris
The Dark Knight Rises!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Give up the dough, and the time if he needs it. I know it's easier said than done, but favreau deserves it. It's not everyday that you get a filmmaker so passionate for projects like this.

4. Lego Movie
5. Noah
The Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #86
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Once again, we are on the verge of another union strike. If that happens production on everything comes to a halt.

Someone said earlier that Marvel can only release their movies over the summer. OK, if that's true, then aren't they also obligated to release two every summer? That can't happen in 2009 because of the work strike, but doesn't that mean in 2011 they have to do Thor and Iron Man 2 for their investors?

- CM Punk
Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #87
jrd550
He who is him

can we start a petition, or does anyone have an email address at Marvel that we can write to and knock some sense into them... I want a mass outrage!

jrd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #88
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Geez.

Why do we need a petition based on these unconfirmed rumors? You guys should try reading the thread with Favreau's comments on his page:

Quote:
March seems unrealistic.

We had always hoped for the film to be well received, but we were all pleasantly surprised by how much business it has done.

Robert and I speak a lot and can’t wait to get started developing the script for IM2.

There is nothing to announce.
The only guy that talked about March was Terence Howard. That didn't come from Marvel. Favreau simply isn't sure they can start by March.

Also, internet petitions don't work.

- CM Punk
Old 06-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #89
DBZ2cool
Banned User

Quote:

Well that is the deal he has with this first film. But i guess Jon wants an increase in his paycheck for next movie as well as the backend pay which isn't suiting marvel.

DBZ2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #90
FaT_tONle
Banned User

If they don't film in March when are they filming it? April? May? The movie will be released a year later. So they pretty much have to film in March give or take a month or two. So that date doesn't seem unrealistic. Plus reports have stated they are using IM2 as a spring board to Thor. Changing the release dates seems more unrealistic. Either Favreau is just not up to the task or he just wants the pay raise so he can comitt the fall and winter to pre-production. Marvel needs to pay them man because no new director is going to come and just jump and deliver a good product with barely six months of pre-production with filming beginning in the spring.

Last edited by FaT_tONle; 06-11-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #91
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Well, when did they start filming Incredible Hulk?

- CM Punk
Old 06-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #92
FaT_tONle
Banned User

June? That's still a year away. Is two months going to make a difference anyway?

Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #93
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

If its June instead of March that could be a difference of 3-4 months time.

Also, look at Spider-man 2 which was ultimately pushed back two months from its original release date. Plus the hiccup with Tobey Maguire.

Ultimately, I do agree with Favreau. And I want everything to start moving ASAP. I'm just worried about what the potential strike does to all these projects.

- CM Punk
Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #94
Raiden
The Captain

Quote:
And if Iron Man 2 sucks, how many fans will be like "why did they bring Fav's back, that movie sucked?"
If IM2 turns out to be back (which I seriously doubt would happen), I think Fav earned the right to do it nevertheless; I'd rather have Fav screw it up than anyone else, because it is him who made the first one so successful.

Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #95
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Its funny because now people on here want Raimi to have nothing to do with any future Spider-man movies .

- CM Punk
Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #96
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chris View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Give up the dough, and the time if he needs it. I know it's easier said than done, but favreau deserves it. It's not everyday that you get a filmmaker so passionate for projects like this.
Mark Johnson may be the most passionate (marvelminded) cat to ever work with marvel
it's about a lot more than just just "passion"

personally I'd rather hear the whole story before jumping on anyones back over this

the truth is, unlike money bags WB or fox, marvel has (like someone said) only 8 mill to make like how many movies?...they are completely revenue driven at this point...and although Iron man made it's money back...it didn't make spidey money...or even TF money
and i still stand by the idea that it did so with minmal competition before and after it...(replace speed and narnia and whatever else...with smith, bale and norton...or dead mans chest...)

I believe that JF helped make iron man the finished product but ultimately he just surrounded himself with the right ppl and let them do their thing RDJ being the biggest example of that...ilm, the marvel script concil...(technically that's all a great director need do)
if JF is asking for too much, it can't be helped, I think he can be replaced tho, everything we come away with liking about that/this film really comes from the "help." Weather it be (Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby) story, or RDJ or the suit....all that can still work without JF shouting action...and cut
I'm curious if there would be such an outcry if camron was tied to the sequel...
Latterier seems happy to do anything...and he genuinely seems like a humble guy...with real visual talent.

that being said
hopefully they bring him back at this point due to the ultimate fact that a director does loads for continuity and that's something this genre needs
not including the fluke of Blade 2(which was good)
as hot as a fincher or Scott TDK would be, it's just not right at this point

just like Singer...he's good where he is
(and just like singer...he's forgettable anywhere else)...elf.

Last edited by Marvin; 06-11-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #97
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ultimately, I do agree with Favreau. And I want everything to start moving ASAP. I'm just worried about what the potential strike does to all these projects.
The potential actor's strike should have no effect on Iron Man 2. Or Thor. Both of them are months of preproduction, and scripting, away from going before cameras.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #98
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Evil Twin, a lot of people like you said the strike would have no affect on JUSTICE LEAGUE.

- CM Punk
Old 06-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #99
The Chris
The Dark Knight Rises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Mark Johnson may be the most passionate (marvelminded) cat to ever work with marvel
it's about a lot more than just just "passion"

personally I'd rather hear the whole story before jumping on anyones back over this

the truth is, unlike money bags WB or fox, marvel has (like someone said) only 8 mill to make like how many movies?...they are completely revenue driven at this point...and although Iron man made it's money back...it didn't make spidey money...or even TF money
and i still stand by the idea that it did so with minmal competition before and after it...(replace speed and narnia and whatever else...with smith, bale and norton...or dead mans chest...)

I believe that JF helped make iron man the finished product but ultimately he just surrounded himself with the right ppl and let them do their thing RDJ being the biggest example of that...ilm, the marvel script concil...(technically that's all a great director need do)
if JF is asking for too much, it can't be helped, I think he can be replaced tho, everything we come away with liking about that/this film really comes from the "help." Weather it be (Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby) story, or RDJ or the suit....all that can still work without JF shouting action...and cut
I'm curious if there would be such an outcry if camron was tied to the sequel...
Latterier seems happy to do anything...and he genuinely seems like a humble guy...with real visual talent.

that being said
hopefully they bring him back at this point due to the ultimate fact that a director does loads for continuity and that's something this genre needs
not including the fluke of Blade 2(which was good)
as hot as a fincher or Scott TDK would be, it's just not right at this point

just like Singer...he's good where he is
(and just like singer...he's forgettable anywhere else)...elf.
I should of added, and with talent to match.

4. Lego Movie
5. Noah
The Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #100
jrd550
He who is him

Quote:
Geez.

Why do we need a petition based on these unconfirmed rumors? You guys should try reading the thread with Favreau's comments on his page:

The only guy that talked about March was Terence Howard. That didn't come from Marvel. Favreau simply isn't sure they can start by March.

Also, internet petitions don't work.
the petition/mass email would be a preemptive measure really. Jon's myspace page post seems more like a plea than a simple update.

jrd550 is offline   Reply With Quote