The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 06-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #51
BMM
Side-Kick

Default Re: Does 'Hancock' ruin the 'drunken hero' angle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Richards View Post
I understand this problem. The Incredibles sort of stole my beloved FF's thunder. Even though the FF were technically first, to some of the standard movie goer they weren't the First Family of superheroes.

I see Iron Man having some similar problems, but if 2 is as good as 1 then I don't see too much of a problem.

I agree. Personally, I'm not too concerned. I think Hancock looks pretty generic and forgettable. If Iron Man 2 is good enough, it should be able to stand on its own, regardless of Hancock.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #52
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Thing is though, do they want Iron Man to be THAT heavy? Things were apparently cut out of the Hulk because it was too dark and brutal for the audience.
Comments like this make me want the Norton Cut even more.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #53
The Spider-Bat
Side-Kick

Nobody has even mentioned that Frank Castle drank like crazy in the '04 Punisher flick.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #54
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I don't think the 2 will conflict at all

Old 06-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #55
Anubis Raptor
The Mighty Avenger.

Personally, I try not to compare the two together. I believe
that Hancock and Iron Man are in two completely different universes.

Man Of Mass Destruction

Anubis Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #56
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Depends on how it is handled in Hancock. Is he just a drunk in the movie to show he is a poor role model, or is his alcoholism creating his self destruction which he must come back from. The latter is what Stark's journey in IM2 should be if alcoholism is used. It seems to me that Hancock's drunkenness might just to further show he is not a good role model. Again, I'd have to see the movie first.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 06-29-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #57
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider-Bat View Post
Nobody has even mentioned that Frank Castle drank like crazy in the '04 Punisher flick.
It wasn't quite the pathos of a full blown alcoholic movie starring Nicholas Cage. The story of Iron Man's alcoholism is a lot more significant, deep, and important than Jane downing some wild turkey in the crappy Punisher movie that almost no one saw in theatres.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:53 PM   #58
LadyKayoss
Side-Kick

I've seen reviews for 'Hancock' that aren't that great, and one reviewer mentioned that it was very 'forgettable.' If that's the case, then maybe this will all be forgotten by the time IM2 comes out.

LadyKayoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #59
Gotham
Side-Kick

I think Iron Man 2 will have Tony Stark's alcoholism at the fore front, rather than Hancock, which doesn't. So, no, it really shouldn't conflict. Especially since they're such different stories.

Gotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #60
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I've just finished watching a Hancock special on Sky Movies; to be honest - it left me a bit .

Anyone remember the Ben Stiller Menendez Bros. court case gag from 'Cable Guy' where one of the brothers tries to shoe-horn the word 'Asian' into what he's saying over and over again? Well, in these interviews, the words 'Alchoholic' and 'Superhero' where used my Smith and Theron ad nausiem.

The part that really made my blood boil is that Theron at one point actually says "I mean, c'mon, it's a superhero.......and he's drunk! Where else are you gonna see a superhero drunk? You gotta go see Hancock to see a superhero...............drunk."

Old 06-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #61
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERBENITEZ View Post
I've just finished watching a Hancock special on Sky Movies; to be honest - it left me a bit .

Anyone remember the Ben Stiller Menendez Bros. court case gag from 'Cable Guy' where one of the brothers tries to shoe-horn the word 'Asian' into what he's saying over and over again? Well, in these interviews, the words 'Alchoholic' and 'Superhero' where used my Smith and Theron ad nausiem.

The part that really made my blood boil is that Theron at one point actually says "I mean, c'mon, it's a superhero.......and he's drunk! Where else are you gonna see a superhero drunk? You gotta go see Hancock to see a superhero...............drunk."
wow....... Did Smith say this? whoever did needs to read an Iron Man comic.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #62
Gilpesh
Banned User

Yeah... he needs to see Mystery Men.

And the Shoveler.... hammered.

Gilpesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #63
Raiden
What a bunch of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERBENITEZ View Post

Well, I'm sure IM2 will treat the alcoholism with alot more respect than Hancock would. In Hancock, it's more like "Well, I bet you have never seen a drunken superhero, well here he is!", but in IM2, it will be part of a realistic storyline that explains how Stark hits bottom, and how he came back from the abyss. I doubt Hancock will be able to outdo the Demon in a Bottle storyline in IM2.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #64
Lots o lafs
The Champs Here!!!

I seriously doubt they will have Iron Man/Tony Stark(Robert Downey Jr.) as an alcoholic.
1. It would feel weird.
2. MADD would go crazy about it.
3. It was not directed just at Adults. It was directed at Teens and kids also.
4. Alcohol reduces your motor skills so put it together... Flying a multi million dollar piece of machinery while under the influence of alcohol... DWI.

Hancock is an under achieving drunk, Iron Man is an alcoholic.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #65
Rishi
Side-Kick

I think its too soon. Save this for the third film, we need to see Stark having fun and basking in his new superhero role

Rishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #66
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

They should save it for the 3rd or give a quick nod or "tip of the hat" as Favreau put it.

Seriously, we got what 5-10 minutes of Stark in the Mark III armor at the very end of the movie and now people want that all over again??

Like the poster above me said let Stark having fun in his new superhero role.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #67
MaidenUK

Yes.... Stark should be having fun as Ironman. Maybes they could start some sort of "Slow" decline into the Dunk Stark for the "Demon" story line in IM3. Maybe you could also start down the War machine path too?

MaidenUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #68
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

In the begining of the movie, immediately after or during the credits, they should have Stark look into the mirror like in the classic issue 128, with his shirt unbuttoned and an unkept beard, and have him kick the habit right there.

We do not need another movie of RDJ as Stark for about 10 minutes or less in the red and gold armor. We don't need drunken Stark flying around crashing into sh** like Hancock.

We need a fully developed Mandarin story.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #69
November Rain
Single Mother

never really got the impression hancock was truelly effected by the alcohol and rather simply used it as a form of escapism to deal with things. Once he had purpose, he was fine...

November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #70
Lots o lafs
The Champs Here!!!

Frank Castle was dealing with depression and it was rated R.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #71
nogap87
Side-Kick

I would like it if they just show Stark with a drink in his hands through much of the sequel and keep the same tone as the 1st movie except with more action. Near the end have Stark find out some bad news like his company is being taken over, Pepper is dating someone, or their were some significant injuries/deaths as a result from his epic battle against >insert villian<. Stark reaches for the bottle. Cue credits.

I can wait till #3 for War Machine. RDJ is the main attraction after all.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #72
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Hancock won't affect alcohol in future IM movies. They didn't focus on his drinking like they would for Stark.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #73
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Basically IM2 won't be in trouble as long as they leave out the whole public perception.... keep the alcohol behind closed doors... speculation and rumors that eventually become a reality. To make it different... have the public favor Iron Man instead of rejecting him... but of course may Iron Man would lose interest half way in to add to the self conflicted hero. I forsee no problems with this.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #74
kyuubijavi1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lots o lafs View Post
I seriously doubt they will have Iron Man/Tony Stark(Robert Downey Jr.) as an alcoholic.
1. It would feel weird.
2. MADD would go crazy about it.
3. It was not directed just at Adults. It was directed at Teens and kids also.
4. Alcohol reduces your motor skills so put it together... Flying a multi million dollar piece of machinery while under the influence of alcohol... DWI.

Hancock is an under achieving drunk, Iron Man is an alcoholic.
That's horrible reasons if they do the drunken story line its part of his character and a pretty big one Iron man can be shown that he isn't handling the pressure of being a hero. I mean honestly everything in his life before becoming Iron-man was fairly easy he was born into a multi-billion franchise he was a genius since the get-go, now he is dependent on saving lives and being a role model and all that junk could easily drive some one into drinking & worse.

Now don't forget that in superhero movies the second one is usually, hell its always the one where the hero wants to give up and live a normal life.

As for the whole role model hero thing Iron-man was a womanizer throughout the film if he takes up drinking ( he drank in almost every scene in IM ) it wouldn't be that much of a change. My only beef is if the drunk saga starts in the second how will he function in a group of superhero's.

kyuubijavi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #75
cain097

Since, the "Demon in a Bottle" storyline is pretty much the seminal Iron Man story and Favreau appears to like it, I definitely see it being a factor in the next movie. I don't think anyone should expect anything like a direct translation of that story to film, but the general theme and maybe even some imagery will probably survive. Just think about how Batman Begins translated Year One to film. I don't think its too early for Tony to go through a rough patch, and this story is definitely unique for the comic book world. By the time the film is resolved, Tony Stark would be a stronger, more complete person who would easily fit within a superteam in whatever capacity they chose.