The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Avenging Angel
Gaurdian Angel
 
Avenging Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Imagination
Posts: 389
Default The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

I didn't see a thread for this (bring one up if you see it) so I thought this movie deserved a thread full of appreciative comments.

Who has a new love for this movie every time they see it? Whenever I see it on cable I have to watch it all. There's just something about it that I love.

I still loved that the film was told through Wolverine's POV. Sir Patrick and Ian's friendship and banter. Famke & James' chemistry and her scenes with Hugh were memorable. The younger mutants: Rogue, Iceman. It was a great introduction to the comics. I just thought everything about it was cool. I'm still liking it 15 years later.

Does anyone feel the same?

Avenging Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion and the Baxter Building
Posts: 22,112
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

I still love this film <3 There's something very intimate about it.

__________________
WOLVERINE X CYCLOPS X STORM X ROGUE X ICEMAN X PROFESSOR X

X-MEN - FANTASTIC FOUR
R I 5 3

MISTER FANTASTIC 4 INVISIBLE WOMAN 4 THE THING 4 HUMAN TORCH
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #3
PunyGod
Astronomer
 
PunyGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,093
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Just seeing the X-Men come to life for the first time was amazing. And it jump-started the CBM era we are still enjoying.

The fact that the movie turned out good is pretty amazing when you consider all the pressure it was under. The budget was slashed, the release date got moved up by 6 months at the last minute, and the studio pushed to cut it down to 100 minutes. It didn't have any stars to bank on either.

PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:33 AM   #4
Avenging Angel
Gaurdian Angel
 
Avenging Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Imagination
Posts: 389
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I still love this film <3 There's something very intimate about it.
I really loved the flirtations between Jean and Logan.

I also thought Scott acted like a great leader. He was the savior at the end.

Avenging Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:40 AM   #5
Avenging Angel
Gaurdian Angel
 
Avenging Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Imagination
Posts: 389
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyGod View Post
Just seeing the X-Men come to life for the first time was amazing. And it jump-started the CBM era we are still enjoying.

The fact that the movie turned out good is pretty amazing when you consider all the pressure it was under. The budget was slashed, the release date got moved up by 6 months at the last minute, and the studio pushed to cut it down to 100 minutes. It didn't have any stars to bank on either.
I think what made it great was the story and the actors even though they were relative unknowns with the exception of Pat, Ian and Anna. Unless you remember Famke from Goldeneye.

I actually didn't know they were only riding on a shoe string budget. It still looked incredible on screen.

Avenging Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
PunyGod
Astronomer
 
PunyGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,093
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

It also introduced some elements that I don't remember ever seeing in the comics. Wolverine's power-punch from his metal skeleton, Magneto's helmet blocking telepathy, and clarifying what exactly Cerebro did and how it worked. That was something I was never clear on from the comics.

In fact this is a common theme with a lot of CBMs that they don't get enough credit for. They often introduce elements that no one thought of in 50 years of comics but that seem completely obvious in hindsight.

PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
kevork89
Side-Kick
 
kevork89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 658
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

I love the first X-Men. I just love how it felt. It wasn't this big giant spectacle. It didn't need to be. Ian and Patrick are just superstars and are really the reason why Prof X and Magneto are still so important. Of course those characters are always important but I think Patrick and Ian just did something that worked so well together and I see the same in James and Michael. The chemistry. People might complain about it but I love that the X-Men issues are still about and surround that relationship. The first X-Men showed that but it was X2 and DoFP that really solidified it.

I can always watch X-Men over and over although right now the one hardest part to watch is when Sabretooth throws Wolverine and he spins around the head of the statue cutting off one of the crown parts. Before that looked so damn cool but seeing the cgi now I need to look away hahaha. But besides that it all holds up well still.

kevork89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
kevork89
Side-Kick
 
kevork89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 658
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

One of my fav bits from X-Men is when Jean is in Washington trying to stop the mutant registration act. A very small scene that overall doesn't seem important but it sure is. To see how humanity views mutants was all summed up in that one scene. And also my fav line is when Senator Kelly says we license people to drive Dr. Grey and her response is yes but not to live. Great dialogue.

kevork89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #9
PunyGod
Astronomer
 
PunyGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,093
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Another thing the movie doesn't get enough credit for is being serious and setting the tone for all CBMs to follow. I remember some people saying how dare they use the Holocaust to open what is just a "silly comic book movie".




Another hurdle this movie had to overcome was all the exposition it got saddled with.

In fact I think they went a little too far with over-explaining. The 90s cartoon just jumped right into it with no origin stories and I never felt confused.

I guess movie audiences are not as sharp as kids. They always complain about being confused whenever they are not spoon-fed with backstory.

PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
Avenging Angel
Gaurdian Angel
 
Avenging Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Imagination
Posts: 389
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

I think the plot involving Senator Kelly being turned into a mutant by force was brilliant, especially when it backfired in that famous scene with Storm.

Speaking of Storm, even though she didn't fly I felt like keeping her accent was crucial.

Avenging Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion and the Baxter Building
Posts: 22,112
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

She technically fly during the elevator scene.

__________________
WOLVERINE X CYCLOPS X STORM X ROGUE X ICEMAN X PROFESSOR X

X-MEN - FANTASTIC FOUR
R I 5 3

MISTER FANTASTIC 4 INVISIBLE WOMAN 4 THE THING 4 HUMAN TORCH
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #12
kevork89
Side-Kick
 
kevork89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 658
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Also I never understood the hate that Halle got for the toad line lol. I never rolled my eyes at it or thought it was the worst line like everyone says.

kevork89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
Kermit_The_Frog
Whip-laaaashh
 
Kermit_The_Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 453
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyGod View Post
Just seeing the X-Men come to life for the first time was amazing. And it jump-started the CBM era we are still enjoying.
I get a little annoyed when people say it was Blade. I don't think the Blade movie was nearly as popular as X-Men when it came out. Or maybe my memory is fuzzy.

Nowadays, it's Spider-Man that jump-started it, not the X-Men. People really go out of their way to downgrade these movies.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kevork89 View Post
Also I never understood the hate that Halle got for the toad line lol. I never rolled my eyes at it or thought it was the worst line like everyone says.
I think it was her delivery. There wasn't really much behind it. They shoulda just cut it out altogether. It would've more badass if Storm fried Toad without even saying a single word.


But I too, loved the first X-Men movie. There's something special about to me. Despite the poor budget, the several script rewrites, the rushed date, and all the other problems I heard they had with it, they still produced a damn good movie.

The casting was just great all around (even Halle as Storm), the tone was very serious, the fight scenes were pretty good, the dialogue was great, I really liked the dynamic between Wolverine and Rogue, the conflicting ideologies between Xavier and Magneto, and it was the only movie where we saw shades of leadership from Scott. Plus, the banter with Scott and Wolverine was done pretty well.

My only problems with that movie was Toad soloing Scott, Jean, and Storm so easily, and the scenes they cut. That's pretty much it. There was this one extended scene of Jean's talk with Logan in his bedroom, and there was more to his talk with Cyclops which would've given both characters a little more dimension, but they didn't include it.

I think Rebecca Romijn said it best in an X2 interview, and I agree. X-Men was like a dress rehearsal and X2 was like opening night.

Kermit_The_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #14
PunyGod
Astronomer
 
PunyGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,093
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit_The_Frog View Post
I get a little annoyed when people say it was Blade. I don't think the Blade movie was nearly as popular as X-Men when it came out. Or maybe my memory is fuzzy.

Nowadays, it's Spider-Man that jump-started it, not the X-Men. People really go out of their way to downgrade these movies.
Blade had nowhere near the box office of X-Men. And more importantly no one even knew it was based on a comic book so I dont see how it can be credited with making CBMs popular.

It was a gory R rated vampire movie. I dont see how any studio exec would look at the success of that movie and decide that its time to start making PG-13 superhero movies for kids.

Spider-Man does deserve some credit as it was even more successful than X-Men. It was the one-two punch of both films that opened the floodgates.

PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
kevork89
Side-Kick
 
kevork89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 658
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Yeah one thing I didn't like is how underpowered they seemed against Toad. And how slow it seemed for them to get their powers going. Now we don't see that. The power displays are great and fun and fast but in X-Men it took Storm forever to just get a bit of lightning. But yeah X-Men was just a pure set up movie because X2 was just WOW. I think X2 and Spider-Man 2 were the groundbreaking movies for comic book adaptations. X-Men and Spider-Man paved the way.

kevork89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #16
Kermit_The_Frog
Whip-laaaashh
 
Kermit_The_Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 453
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevork89 View Post
Yeah one thing I didn't like is how underpowered they seemed against Toad. And how slow it seemed for them to get their powers going. Now we don't see that. The power displays are great and fun and fast but in X-Men it took Storm forever to just get a bit of lightning.
Yeah, I never understood the basis for that. Jean had him suspended in mid air and just held him. She didn't throw him back across the room, or anything. It's like this was their first rodeo.

Quote:
But yeah X-Men was just a pure set up movie because X2 was just WOW. I think X2 and Spider-Man 2 were the groundbreaking movies for comic book adaptations. X-Men and Spider-Man paved the way.
X2 and Spidey 2 are Top 5 IMO. Those movies are just absolutely incredible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyGod View Post
Blade had nowhere near the box office of X-Men. And more importantly no one even knew it was based on a comic book so I dont see how it can be credited with making CBMs popular.

It was a gory R rated vampire movie. I dont see how any studio exec would look at the success of that movie and decide that its time to start making PG-13 superhero movies for kids.
If I remember correctly, the Marvel logo wasn't even in its marketing, right?


Quote:
Spider-Man does deserve some credit as it was even more successful than X-Men. It was the one-two punch of both films that opened the floodgates.
Fair enough. I'm not trying to discredit Spidey. He's my favorite hero and I loved the hell outta the movie. It just seems like some people act like the X-Men had no part in the CBM boom and it's a little silly.

Kermit_The_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #17
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,791
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit_The_Frog View Post
Yeah, I never understood the basis for that. Jean had him suspended in mid air and just held him. She didn't throw him back across the room, or anything. It's like this was their first rodeo.
Her doing that was probably quite impressive for 2000 as it was in the trailers if i remember right

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 06-07-2015 at 07:26 AM.
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #18
Kermit_The_Frog
Whip-laaaashh
 
Kermit_The_Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 453
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Yeah, times were much simpler back then. Nowadays, you have to go above and beyond.

Kermit_The_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #19
Avenging Angel
Gaurdian Angel
 
Avenging Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Imagination
Posts: 389
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
She technically fly during the elevator scene.
Halle looked so gorgeous with the cap and long hair. I loved that she kept Stormís accent.

Avenging Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:13 PM   #20
Avenging Angel
Gaurdian Angel
 
Avenging Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Imagination
Posts: 389
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevork89 View Post
Also I never understood the hate that Halle got for the toad line lol. I never rolled my eyes at it or thought it was the worst line like everyone says.
Storm in the comics would have said the same line in the same situation. I didnít get the big deal about it either.

Avenging Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #21
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas City,Missouri
Posts: 12,370
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

People forget the entire genre was looked down after Batman & Robin.

Blade wasn't promated as comic book film.

even with just 75 million budget it was big deal when X-Men went into
production and risk for fox given how genre was thought of at time.

At time many were saying strange a comic book film would open in holcaust and yet that was taken from comics of magneto as boy in camps.

As i say X-Men revived the genre and Spider-man explored it.

MCU fans should show respect to X-Men and spider-man.Look you can think their films are better.That's matter of taste and perference but without X-Men and Spider-man there wouldn't be MCU since they and their success payed the way for MCU.

When you look at comic book films of 1990's X-Men was revelation when it came out.I still prefer first X-Men over first class.

__________________
Best comic book films-Superman X2 The Dark Knight X-Men Days of Future Past The Amazing Spider-man Batman Returns X-Men Captain America The Winter Soldier X-Men First Class Batman
marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #22
Avenging Angel
Gaurdian Angel
 
Avenging Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Imagination
Posts: 389
Default Re: The Official X-Men 1 (2000) Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
People forget the entire genre was looked down after Batman & Robin.

Blade wasn't promated as comic book film.

even with just 75 million budget it was big deal when X-Men went into
production and risk for fox given how genre was thought of at time.

At time many were saying strange a comic book film would open in holcaust and yet that was taken from comics of magneto as boy in camps.

As i say X-Men revived the genre and Spider-man explored it.

MCU fans should show respect to X-Men and spider-man.Look you can think their films are better.That's matter of taste and perference but without X-Men and Spider-man there wouldn't be MCU since they and their success payed the way for MCU.

When you look at comic book films of 1990's X-Men was revelation when it came out.I still prefer first X-Men over first class.
I had so many fights over the B & R movie with Bats fans that I used to have nightmares over it. Ultimately I decided it was a comedy to me, even some people admit it was.

Yeah Blade was marketed as Rated-R Buffy. At the time Buffy: TVS was a HUGE show.

And the risk it took with the cast being unknowns, aside from maybe Halle and Anna, if you're a classical theater buff or a 90s trekkie, Sir Pat Stew and Sir Ian McKellan.

It made the film stand out when they opened it that way. I'm glad they had, it paved the way for Magneto's introduction so it was clear what his motives were from then on. It reaffirmed it in XMFC.

No doubt, I always thought they were the oldest siblings of the CBM boom. The excitement and thrill around the first Raimi Spider-Man is something I haven't seen since maybe DOFP.

I think MCU has respect for those films the more time goes. They still hold up, I'm feeling the same emotions and revere the honesty of it every time I see it.

I look at XMFC as a proper reboot. Something that lacks in reboots today.

Avenging Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.