The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 08-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #26
marukisu
Side-Kick

Default Re: Naruto the next dragon ball, Or just to overhyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth7d View Post
In DB, that was the original primary focus, much like Baki the Grappler is a series based around winning tournaments. So I wouldn't say it was useless in DB's sense, in which DB's case, the original point of the series was to become strong enough to win the next budokai tournament. DBZ is where that changed, however, but then again, there were only two canon tournaments in DBZ, one of which wasn't really a tournament but a genetic creatures ego trip.

Yea and i understand how that works for the orignal Dragonn Ball because that was the point to win the tournament and so that worked. In Dragon allz is where it got useless because there was no need for Cell to have a tournament for himself. Nor is there any need for Yu Yu hakush or naruto to have a tournament arc.

marukisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #27
Sloth7d
Escapist

For Cell, it was a good reason imo. As said, it wasn't even a tournament more than him stroking his ego. It was actually more of a guantlet. But anyway, I felt that fleshed Cell's character out more just to show how egotistical and cocky he is. I mean, he spared the Z-fighters even after they had a dramatic increase in power in only a days time, and even went as far as to dare them to get stronger and face him once more.

Sloth7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #28
marukisu
Side-Kick

Quote:
For Cell, it was a good reason imo. As said, it wasn't even a tournament more than him stroking his ego. It was actually more of a guantlet. But anyway, I felt that fleshed Cell's character out more just to show how egotistical and cocky he is. I mean, he spared the Z-fighters even after they had a dramatic increase in power in only a days time, and even went as far as to dare them to get stronger and face him once more.

There are better and less time consuming ways to display that a villian has a big ego.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #29
Sloth7d
Escapist

I don't understand. What was time consuming about it, other than the fact that he gave them 10 days to get ready? But then, that part has nothing to do with the tournament itself. Not to mention, it kind of was important to show how confident he was in his power. As said, he witnessed them gain a ridiculous power up in one days time that allowed them to defeat his #17 absorbed form, and now he's giving them 10 days! That takes a lot of balls.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #30
marukisu
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't understand. What was time consuming about it, other than the fact that he gave them 10 days to get ready? But then, that part has nothing to do with the tournament itself. Not to mention, it kind of was important to show how confident he was in his power. As said, he witnessed them gain a ridiculous power up in one days time that allowed them to defeat his #17 absorbed form, and now he's giving them 10 days! That takes a lot of balls.

And alot of time. My point is that Dragon Ball Z suffers from alot of pacing issues and it all adds up

10 days to prepare for a tournament, going through the actual turnament, and oh god the longest final blow to any villian ever with the ka-meh-ha meh-ha wave that wnet back and forth for at least 5 episodes.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #31
Sloth7d
Escapist

See, when you make ridiculous exaggerations like that, it's hard for me to discuss this with you.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #32
marukisu
Side-Kick

Quote:
See, when you make ridiculous exaggerations like that, it's hard for me to discuss this with you.
Exagerations like what the final blow to Cell? Ill give that the benefit of the doubt because when i saw that fight i was really young but it seemed as though that lasted for a good number of episodes so if you wouldnt mind either you and i can reseaarch how long that took.

And im sorry that you find it hard to talk to me about this or if i ome off as a bit of a know it all or w/e. But i hope there is no hostility in the air when this is being discussed as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #33
red-five
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPlaYa43 View Post
Naruto will surpass DBZ when its all said and done
.............sorry but no

red-five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #34
marukisu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-five View Post
.............sorry but no
yea i think it already has. i mean and even at that thats not saying much beacue they are both crap to begin with but naruto is better than dragon Ball Z

Old 08-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #35
ironwez20
Side-Kick

naruto is way better then dbz imo, why are people saying its a legend when akira is better then dbz and was one of the first anime to begin with. ps the movie will kill the freanchise.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:28 AM   #36
marukisu
Side-Kick

Dbz is a legend only because of the time it came out and the popularity it garnered . And altthough technically that is an aspect of how a legend is determined ..Dragon Ball Z is not worthy enough of being called a legend based on the qualit of its poor storytelling and pooor pacing issues. Like i said Naruto is better than Dragon Ball Z but thats like saying Nicole Richie is better than paris Hilton because one isnt as much of a crack whore as the other.

Last edited by marukisu; 08-06-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #37
ironwez20
Side-Kick

lol

Old 08-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #38
Sloth7d
Escapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marukisu View Post
Exagerations like what the final blow to Cell? Ill give that the benefit of the doubt because when i saw that fight i was really young but it seemed as though that lasted for a good number of episodes so if you wouldnt mind either you and i can reseaarch how long that took.

And im sorry that you find it hard to talk to me about this or if i ome off as a bit of a know it all or w/e. But i hope there is no hostility in the air when this is being discussed as well.
No hostilities here. But what I mean is, the pacing issues you bring up, one of the main reasons for you apparently not liking DB/DBZ, is only prevalent in the anime. Of course the manga doesn't have these issues.

As for Gohan and Cell's kamehameha struggle, it was only one episode long. You can look it up on wikipedia here--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBZ_epi...ell_Games_Saga

As mentioned, the final beam struggle is merely one episode long. It's the episode entitled "Save the World". But I digres. In the end, I'll just say, if you liked DBZ, you liked it. If you don't you don't. However, you really can't deny the mark it's made in the world of anime/manga, as well as all of the fictional tales it inspired.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:46 AM   #39
marukisu
Side-Kick

Quote:
No hostilities here. But what I mean is, the pacing issues you bring up, one of the main reasons for you apparently not liking DB/DBZ, is only prevalent in the anime. Of course the manga doesn't have these issues.

As for Gohan and Cell's kamehameha struggle, it was only one episode long. You can look it up on wikipedia here--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBZ_epi...ell_Games_Saga

As mentioned, the final beam struggle is merely one episode long. It's the episode entitled "Save the World". But I digres. In the end, I'll just say, if you liked DBZ, you liked it. If you don't you don't. However, you really can't deny the mark it's made in the world of anime/manga, as well as all of the fictional tales it inspired.
Wow you were right it only lasted one episode. but i swear it lasted for a long time. I guess not but meh. The point is your right,the pacing issues are only within the anime but why cant the anime get better pacing treatment. The show itself may not be that long however they do alot of things to keep it at a snails pace. Upon thinking about this alot of it has to do with training alot and training for a long time.

For example before the creator of Majin Buu i rember Goku, Gohan and vegeta in a room waiting for a very long time. I dont wanna over exaggerate but im gonna take an educated guess based off me being wrong about the energy blast thing and say they waited for about three episodes. A couple of other things that slow the pacing down are the moments where they just try and stare at eachother and look cool, talk too much in battle when they should be fighting, and overall just having story arcs where the main villian takes forever to resolve.

The way wikipedia sets up the story arcs are divided very nicely but in all actuality there is a much larger story arc and heres how i see them

Arc #1 (116 ep)
Vegeta Saga
Captian Ginyu Saga
Frieza Saga
Garlic Jr. Saga

Arc#2(77 ep)
Trunks Saga
Androids Saga
Imperfect Cell Saga
Perfect Cell Saga
Cell Games Saga

Arc#3(97 ep)
Great Saiyaman Saga
World Tournament Saga
Babidi Saga
Majin Buu Saga
Fusion Saga
Kid Buu Saga

If each "major arc as i so call it werent as long then i think that the show wouldnt see as long as it is. Since your a fan of Digimon ill use that as an example. The first two seasons shared the same continuity and each had about 52 ep. per season if i recall. Thats 104 episodes right there and they covere alot of story arcs(albiet season 2 had alot of plotholes but still) throughout that time. Dragon Ball Z however only covered four. I guess what im trying to say is the first part of dragon Balll Z (116 ep) could have covered Both The frieza and cell story at the same time and moved a little faster.

And that just goes with my personal philosiphy that every anime season should at least be 52 episodes long so that way you can manage your time more wiselt within those episodes. so having said that Dragon Ballz could have been lalot better if it were somewhere around
150 or 160 ep as a whole but then again its all about using the time that you have within thise episodes(and this goes for all shounen anime) wisely because Inuyasha was 160 ep or a little bit more than that and it was fiiller episodes galore.

And to adress your final statement i cant deny the mark that dragon ballz has made because its influenced alot of anime however all im saying is that the dragon Ball series and the genre it inspired would be a tad bit better if the pacing was better if they didnt focus on alot of the primary things that they do (powering up, tournaments, training in order to get powerful etc..) We dont need to see a charcter ad his/her journey every step of the way to appreciate them.

On a seperate note what are your thoughts on Inuyasha

Last edited by marukisu; 08-09-2008 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #40
ironwez20
Side-Kick

i remeber how they used to power up and it took so long

Old 08-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #41
Ley

I honestly don't think there will ever be an anime that can rightfully be referred to as the next Dragon Ball. Both in Japan and in the US, Dragon Ball reached an iconic status which helped bridge the culture gap between Japanese animation and western audiences. This is not to say that Dragon Ball is a perfect series of insurmountable quality; I think that in many ways it has already been surpassed. However, seeing as anime is now an accepted part of mainstream western culture, there is no way for another series to replace or "be the next" Dragon Ball because the series' claim to fame is something that can only be done once.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #42
Dorian Gray
Side-Kick

I say it's overhyped......................and boring.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #43
ord0g
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ley View Post
Both in Japan and in the US, Dragon Ball reached an iconic status which helped bridge the culture gap between Japanese animation and western audiences.
Agreed although I'd had hope this wasn't the case though. Pokemon also helped the cause a lot especially with a feature film that got a theatrical release and the video games.

ord0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:36 AM   #44
PLAS
Side-Kick

Naruto targets the same audience as Dragonball which makes them, off the bat, similar. HOWEVER, Naruto is more complex than Dragonball. Jiraiya in the manga has been the greatest character in the whole series and even outshines Roshi, Kamisama, Kaiosama and all of the "teacher figures" in Dragonball.

Then again, Naruto has Sasuke, which is the most annoying angst-driven character ever. It even trumps Harry Pottah in annoyingness.

But, I say read more Manga and watch more Anime out there. There are things leagues better than DBZ, Naruto, Bleach and all of that generic stuff.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #45
Gotenks
Side-Kick

Looks like Sloth is still fighting the good fight!

Gotenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #46
marukisu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotenks View Post
Looks like Sloth is still fighting the good fight!
lol wats that sposed to mean?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:23 AM   #47
ironwez20
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I say it's overhyped......................and boring.

naruto is far from boring dragon ball is more boring

Old 08-14-2008, 01:19 AM   #48
marukisu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironwez20 View Post
naruto is far from boring dragon ball is more boring
No they are both pretty boring. Dragon Ball more so than Naruto.
Heres my list of what i understand to be shounen anime and there in order from least boring to most boring.

Bleach
Naruto
Yu Yu Hakusho
Dragon Ball
Inuyasha
Dragon Ball Z
One Piece
Dragon Ball GT

Old 08-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #49
Gotenks
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marukisu View Post
lol wats that sposed to mean?
He is still sticking up for DBZ like the old days (which was only a year or two ago).

Gotenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #50
Yellowfrug
Side-Kick

I believe Naruto is more interesting than DragonBall Z, though either way - they both left marks throughout Anime history.

Yellowfrug is offline   Reply With Quote