Daniel Day-Lewis 25 9.54%
Other 60 22.90%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #326
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

Default Re: Doctor Strange Casting Poll

I suggest James Caviezel. He does look the part & has already played a Count before.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #327
Punisher_MAX
Ol' Painless

wasnt Patrick Dempsey rumored to be interested?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #328
Sebastos
Bebop User

He still is interested, I don't think he'd be a bad choice, but I also think there are actors out there who are also suitable for the role.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #329
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

This is a clip from Fright Night that just got released.... Check out the 1:45 mark and pause it and tell me that doesn't look Strange (Albeit, a shirtless Strange)

Old 08-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #330
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
my roomate just suggested Tim Olyphant
I'm Not Alone!!

http://www.popcultureshock.com/pcs-m...ht-sons/56306/

Old 08-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #331
Bubonic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
So after posting this twice, obviously you want your opinion heard, so I'll give you a reply. The most important thing in ANY of these Marvel films is putting the characters first. Having a huge name like Depp would distract from the character completely and utterly, in the same way that having Brad Pitt as Thor would have. That's why Marvel cast people like Evans and Hemsworth, not A-Listers.
No need for the sarcasm, also it's only posted once, just relocated.
If they used Depp I don't see why they would all a sudden completely change the character and make him into Captain Jack Wizard style.

The character would come first, Depp isn't some untalented hack that would completely rape the essence of the character, infact I figure he'd probably love the character and truly bring him to life.

Brad Pitt was too old and from what I saw in Troy he wouldn't of done Thor much justice in the acting department, you just sound frightened that there would be too many girls at the theatre.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #332
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
Adrien Brody
I can get behind that.

Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #333
Sebastos
Bebop User

8 Actors Who Should Play Marvel’s DOCTOR STRANGE!

http://whatculture.com/film/8-actors...or-strange.php

Not sure about the last suggestion but good choices overall.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #334
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Yeah, Michael Sheen would be great!

If we needed to recast a young Howard Stark...

Look, Sheen is a great actor and all, but he is a bit stiff, he doesn't scream the eccentricity that Tennant does, Tennant is a much better character actor.

sheen is known for his character work, what is tennant know for besides doctor who. i get it you are a doctor who fan, i just think sheen is a better fit. and yes we know strange isn't british. sheen also does an american accent well and goes for the little things like affectations.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #335
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
8 Actors Who Should Play Marvel’s DOCTOR STRANGE!

ok, f*** no to brandon routh, and i don't see norton working with marvel again, but cusack, issacs, moretenson, neeson, or depp would be awesome.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #336
Gunga Diner
Solvin' cool mysteries

I honestly wish Marvel Studios wasn't producing this movie.

Yes, I said it.

Dr Strange doesn't need to be a crowd-pleasing popcorn-light summer action movie like Thor or Captain America. It doesn't even need to be an action movie at all, for that matter. I want something weird and provocative, something challenging, like the comics were when Steve Ditko drew them. Additionally, I want a movie about actual magic, not a science that they've invented to fit him in with the Avengers continuity.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #337
Bubonic
Banned User

Don't count out the possibility of this being released on the off season.
It might even be more daring than the average summer actioner.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #338
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MucasMan View Post
The problem with choices like Liam Nesson and Viggo Mortensen is that, athough they are good actors, they are a little to WASPy for me. Strange should be a little more mediterranean.
How about Oscar Isaac?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #339
Bubonic
Banned User

Quote:
Depp? DiCaprio? Please, no "pretty boys" or baby faces for Dr. Strange. We've seen enough of that in most Marvel actors, which is fine, but I think that member, Iron Fist's pic on page 12 "says" it all -- Tall (lanky), dark hair on face and head, and a Vincent Price type long (not round) head.
Johnny Depp has sex appeal but he's hardly a pretty boy, especially when he's got his hair wild and a goatee.

Quote:
The problem with choices like Liam Nesson and Viggo Mortensen is that, athough they are good actors, they are a little to WASPy for me. Strange should be a little more mediterranean.
White Anglo-Saxon Protestant or WASP is an informal term, often derogatory or disparaging, for a closed group of high-status Americans usually of British descent with a Protestant background who supposedly wield disproportionate financial and social power. When it appears in writing, it is usually used to indicate the author's disapproval of the group's perceived excessive power in society. People seldom call themselves WASPs, except humorously; the term is typically used by non-WASPs...

From what I gather it isn't very endearing and maybe you should reconsider using the term. Also either actor could be made to look darker if need be, I doubt they'd have a blond Stephen Strange.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #340
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
It might not hurt the box office as much as it could hurt the movie and the property. They don't want these properties to turn out like Pirates of the Caribbean. With those, it's the Johnny Depp show and w/o him the movies wouldn't earn beans. So de-facto, Depp is in charge of that franchise. Marvel wants to be in charge of their character's franchises.
Reasonable enough, but at the other extreme, then it blows up in your face with situations like Hulk, where Marvel leafs through not only multiple Banners (Bana, Norton, Ruffalo, whoever plays in the new TV show) in the course of just a few years, but multiple renditions of Hulk as well. Leading to massive backlash from fandom.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #341
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

hmmmmmm what about eric bana?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #342
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
hmmmmmm what about eric bana?
Not a bad one IMO. He has trouble hiding his accent though. I do like him.

He's not the best fit, but he wouldn't be a bad one.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #343
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

he's a better character actor than a straight man.

i.e. Chopper, Star Trek

Old 08-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #344
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Reasonable enough, but at the other extreme, then it blows up in your face with situations like Hulk, where Marvel leafs through not only multiple Banners (Bana, Norton, Ruffalo, whoever plays in the new TV show) in the course of just a few years, but multiple renditions of Hulk as well. Leading to massive backlash from fandom.
Hulk as a Marvel property sits in a class by himself, IMO. Too many variables that only apply there which don't apply to any other Marvel character(like having 2 distinct separate fan-bases). Hulk is the last character I would ever use as an example one way or another to model for how to approach any other Marvel character.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #345
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

How about John Glover as Dr Strange? Strange often has a sinster physical appearance, and John Glover would fit that perfectly.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #346
MucasMan
Side-Kick

This guy looks pretty good for the role, Dark Raven. What has he done before?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #347
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_MAX View Post
wasnt Patrick Dempsey rumored to be interested?
Patrick Dempsey actually really wants the role he has been talking about it alot over the last few months

Quote:
ďIíve been lobbying for [it]. Thereís a whole bunch of people [among the 'Grey's' crew] who are into comics and Marvel, too, on the set and theyíre like, ĎDoctor Strange, thatís the one you should do.í It would be fantastic. Itíd be a great TV show, especially for HBO or something like that... HBO youíre at 13 and I think thatís much better. Itís just so hard to sustain the quality after three years if youíre doing 24, 25 episodes a year.
Dempsey also reveals that Marvel head honcho Kevin Feige is aware of his desire to play the character..
Quote:
"He knows whatís going on. There was stuff going on. At Comic-Con they were talking about me playing it and there was a rumor that Iíd been cast. I mean, itís something thatís kind of out there and, you know, Iíve been looking at that. It would be a fun one to do. Hopefully, doing something like ĎTransformersí is about to show myself in an action situation where Iím not mister-weepy-doctor guy, you know, not McDreamy.
More from an interview on MTV

Quote:
n April, Dempsey revealed an interest in the Marvel Comics character of Doctor Strange, saying he would "love to play" the role. In a recent interview with MTV, Dempsey reiterated his desire for the role, admitting, "I really want to do it."
I mean, it's a tricky character. The hardcore fans know this world and this character specifically ó I don't know if the rest of the world does. So, it's like, how do we enter into that and get it so it doesn't lose its essence, but, at the same time, how do you do it with the right story? And I think the fans really need to speak up and say, hey, what do they want to see.
When asked if Dempsey was a fan of the character and was knowledgeable of the comic book universe, the actor gave a (somewhat) informed answer, though he sounded like he wasn't sure of what to say.
Well, there's different incarnations, and there's a whole philosophy behind how they wrote it, what messages is in it, and all of that. I mean, I would like to see him being the cocky surgeon, having the accident, going on a spiritual journey, and then becoming the Supreme Sorcerer. I think that's really what I would like to see ó and see that journey initially and to see that arc. And, you know, developing how he does his thing and how you do the incarnations and stuff like that.
At first I was unsure of Dempsey but seeing that he seems to get the character and knows what could would work in a movie adaptation I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shoot.

Dempsey also said as a fan if he doesn't get the role he would love to see Daniel Day-Lewis play Strange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
8 Actors Who Should Play Marvelís DOCTOR STRANGE!

Some good choices. Not a fan of Brandon Routh as Strange though.

If Jason Issacs doesn't get the role I could see him as Baron Mordo

Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #348
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
This guy looks pretty good for the role, Dark Raven. What has he done before?
You don't recognise him? He starred as dastardly villain Lionel Luthor on Smallville.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #349
Blackman
C'mon Son

I dont know much about Doctor Strange...I actually dont know anything about him at all (actually if someone would give me the brief rundown on the guy it'll be greatly appreciated) but I would like to see Adrian Brody get a shot at it. JUst so he'll get another high profile role. John Cusack wouldnt be bad either

Old 08-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #350
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I dont know much about Doctor Strange...I actually dont know anything about him at all (actually if someone would give me the brief rundown on the guy it'll be greatly appreciated) but I would like to see Adrian Brody get a shot at it. JUst so he'll get another high profile role. John Cusack wouldnt be bad either
Bascically his a cocky world-renowned neurosurgeon who only cares about making money. He gets in a car crash which causes severe nerve damage to his hands preventing him from practicing surgery and ending his career.

He searches the world for a cure to his condition, Strange locates a hermit called the Ancient One in the Himalayas.

The Ancient One refuses to help Strange because of his selfishness, but does sense a good side to Strange which he attempts to bring to the surface.

He fails, but Strange's goodness ignites when he discovers the Ancient One's disciple Baron Mordo is attempting to kill him. After Strange selflessly attempts to thwart the Ancient One's traitorous disciple he is taught the mystic arts and becomes Sorcerer Supreme a master magician.