Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
GNR
worships John Matrix.

Default Mark Millar's Many Thoughts On Superman

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=133795

Quote:
And he’s already started the ball rolling, according to a post by the creator on his website:

It's 8.58am right now, my guys at CAA get into the office in about seven hours and my call will be waiting for them to talk about this. I want to revamp Superman like Hillary wants thin ankles. Revamping this franchise is what I as given fingers for and so, invited or not, I'm putting my plan together now. I've been asked to work on half a dozen screenplays lately, but this is the only one I have ever truly wanted.

As most here know, I have literally hundreds of pages of notes and sketches just waiting for this opportunity. This would be my dream gig and, as a fan, I know exactly what this project needs to work. This has to be Superman for the 21st Century, keeping everything we adore, but starting from scratch and making the kids love it as much as the 30-somethings. I would honestly write this thing for free.

Anyway, my treatment is being polished as we type. Wish me luck. I want to do that Superman movie we all want to see.
For you non comics readers,Mark has written such books as The Ultimates 1 and 2,Wolverine,Ultimate Fantastic Four,Ultimate X-Men,The Authority and Civil War.

His Superman work includes Superman Adventures and Superman Red Son.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
fabman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Marvel Comics writer Mark Millar offers to write sequel/revamp for free

Yeah, that's exactly what we need. A writer who's passionate about Superman but wants to bring something fresh at the same time.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
GreenKToo
In the fire

Default Re: Marvel Comics writer Mark Millar offers to write sequel/revamp for free

wow. I wonder if W.B. will at least give it a look? they'd be crazy not to.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

If the don't they are completely out of it regarding their comicbook franchises.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

I would ask to Mark Miller, or Mark Waid, maybe even Morrison...not to Mark Millar, a famous superhero killer.
With Civil War he has almost destroyed the Marvel Universe...

Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
gkokujin
Side-Kick

i dunno about this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
Lobster Charlie
Side-Kick

I'd rather Grant Morrison. Actually, I'd even take David Goyer (on a leash).

Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

What about Geoff Johns?

(I've a thread for him too!)

Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

What about Lobster Charlie!

Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

Lobster Charlie?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

I was being funny, it says Lobster Charlie is from Hollywood...but Millar scares me...

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comi...terview_millar

Quote:
Q: Who would you like to see play Superman on the big screen in another Superman movie?

Don't laugh, but I thought Nic Cage was an interesting idea. I hated Dean Cain so much and thought he looked, acted and sounded more unlike Superman than Teri Hatcher. Compared to Cain, Cage actually IS Superman and the fact that he's an Oscar-winning actor would, I think, bring some much-needed dignity after the TV show. He doesn't look like Superman, granted, but ANYONE can look like a superhero with the right wig, make-up, special effects, etc.

If I could choose anyone, I think I'd opt for Daniel Day-Lewis. The last rumour I heard from a friend in Hollywood was that he was being seriously considered. Being Irish shouldn't prevent him from tackling such an all-American role. I mean, Superman's from Krypton, isn't he?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
fabman
Side-Kick

Well, Millar would just write the script, he'd no way direct or be involved with the casting.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
GNR
worships John Matrix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
I would ask to Mark Miller, or Mark Waid, maybe even Morrison...not to Mark Millar, a famous superhero killer.
With Civil War he has almost destroyed the Marvel Universe...
That was pretty much what Marvel wanted in order to establish their current state of stories.You speak as if it was all his doing as well,where Marvel wanted to end up at the end was already planned,they just needed someone to write it and bridge the gap.Sacrificed a whole lot of story in the process,but the MU is hot right now without a doubt.

Morrison and Johns would be great as well,but these guys have so much on their respective plates at the moment.

Geoff has like 4-5 monthlies going on,plus 2 big projects in 2008.

Morrison is still working on his Area 51 treatment from a while back,All Star Superman,and of course DC's big event for 2008,Final Crisis.

I'm all for anyone giving us something new and fresh.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #14
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Still scary a bit scary. Although I would have to see what is take was first.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #15
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Johns is busy writing crappy Action Comics. Millar, however, would be amazing to have on for the next movie.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #16
Dr. Fate
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNR4Life View Post

For you non comics readers,Mark has written such books as The Ultimates 1 and 2,Wolverine,Ultimate Fantastic Four,Ultimate X-Men,The Authority and Civil War.

I can dig it.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #17
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNR4Life View Post

I'd be down for that. I'm sure WB would at least take a look at it. He proved to me with Red Son he has a very good understanding of the mythos.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:43 PM   #18
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Red Son is fantastic.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #19
dark_b
Side-Kick

just because he is a comic book writter doesnt make him the right choice IMO.

maybe in 2008 burton would writte the right story.its about right timing,luck and of course how drunk you are.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #20
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

That is true as well DB.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #21
Canis Sapiens
Ragnarök and roll!

Millar's a fantastic comic book writer. He did an amazing job in The Ultimates. Hell, he made Cap cool again! If he could do the same with a Superman screenplay... wow. Just wow.

Check out my band... or I'll blow up a hospital in Gotham. He Dog Sound: http://myspace.com/hedogsound
Old 10-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #22
fabman
Side-Kick

That's true, but give him a chance already. What I like most about the article is that someone wants to reinvent the Superman movie franchise.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #23
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029 View Post
That is true as well DB.
and as you already wrotte like 100 times the script was better in your eyes. and what you wrotte on SHH i agree.
so baiscly i could say that the script was good.but the movie was not like the script.
so someone can writte the perfect script then WB hires a bad director and they force him to cut down the time.
i still think that we just got lucky with nolan. it was the right timing,nolan worked with the right people and WB was not using hard drugs

Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #24
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabman View Post
That's true, but give him a chance already. What I like most about the article is that someone wants to reinvent the Superman movie franchise.
its not like he tomorrow is the end of the world and only millars script can save it. milions of peopel would want to writte a superman script for free. smith said this on youtube. they gave him tons of money but he would do it for free....because its superman.
and i htink that this news is so special because he said free.
i think that if you would ask 100 comicbook writter more then 50% would say that they would do a script for cheap money.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #25
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
and as you already wrotte like 100 times the script was better in your eyes. and what you wrotte on SHH i agree.
so baiscly i could say that the script was good.but the movie was not like the script.
Most of the time a film doesn't play out like a script, but in my mind, a director is supposed to make the movie even better than a good script. Then you get a great movie.

Quote:
so someone can writte the perfect script then WB hires a bad director and they force him to cut down the time. i still think that we just got lucky with nolan. it was the right timing,nolan worked with the right people and WB was not using hard drugs
This is the nature of the business. It's almost hit or miss in some instances.

Closed Thread