It's Millar time! 75 39.06%
Neither! 21 10.94%
WB doesn't even know what is going on... how would they? 35 18.23%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #51
ToddIsDead
Banned User

Default Re: Marvel Comics writer Mark Millar offers to write sequel/revamp for free

If you've heard anything about Millar's take on a mainstream Superman, you'd know that this would be like Schumacher's Batman all over again.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #52
bunk
superhero fan

Default Re: Marvel Comics writer Mark Millar offers to write sequel/revamp for free

He'll give them what they want. A Millar revamp could be crazy though I don't think that's what WB will be looking for after Justice League.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #53
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Miller? Mark Miller? The guy who turned Ultimate Hulk into being a rip-off of LXG's Mr. Hyde? Cannibal, rapist, murderer? No thanks, I believe a good writer can bring an edge to a character by not having them act out of character. The guys a joke, and anyone who thinks this is a good idea needs to bob for brownies out of a toilet
If it were 616 Hulk that Millar had done that to, then I could completely understand your argument, but Ultimate Hulk was a new slate for him to work with. Other than being the superstrong alterego of Bruce Banner (and even that might not have been a requirement; who knows), Millar was under no obligation to make the character have any similarity to the mainstream Hulk.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #54
aroundthefur33
I am the Witness

i actually love this, he is a great comic writer, and well as long as he does not do a sequel of returns i am in favor for miller...

revamp or reboot...not more Stalking Lois Lane and being a dead beat dad...

Old 10-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #55
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

The issue is that when comic book writers write movies, they make them TOO outrageous. Yet when screenplay writers write comic movies they don't make them outrageous enough.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #56
GNR
worships John Matrix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatefan View Post
Actually, Millar presents a lot of the same problems that a lot of fanboys associated with Singer and his team: too dark and cynical.
His Ultimate F4 run was far from that.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #57
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
The issue is that when comic book writers write movies, they make them TOO outrageous. Yet when screenplay writers write comic movies they don't make them outrageous enough.

That's a very good point! It's not easy to get the right writer who can find the perfect middle ground.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #58
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

As long as its fun (which SR was not), action-packed, somewhat thought-provoking and not campy, let Millar write it.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #59
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

How long until someone post that interview with Millar where he talks about his thoughts on Superman.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #60
GNR
worships John Matrix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddIsDead View Post
If you've heard anything about Millar's take on a mainstream Superman, you'd know that this would be like Schumacher's Batman all over again.
And why is that?Have you read Red Son?Superman Adventures?

Old 10-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #61
ToddIsDead
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNR4Life View Post
And why is that?Have you read Red Son?Superman Adventures?
Red Son was brilliant. I love most of Millar's work up until this point, but that doesn't change the fact that he has some real backwards-ass ideas about Superman. If I can find the interview, I'll post it.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #62
I Am The Knight
World's Finest

Mark Millar from The Authority? Hmmm, it could be interesting. But he might want to put a "spin" on Superman that the fanboys will hate just as much as The Kid.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #63
Naite22
Side-Kick

If this guy is allowed to write the next superman movie, I'm all for it. ANYTHING TO SCRATCH THAT ****ING JLA MOVIE!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #64
Retroman
Side-Kick

Maybe they could get Millar as story consultant or as a co-writer to someone with actual experience in writing screenplays for movies. I'm not confident in his ability as a screenwriter as to opposed to his work on comic books .I love his enthusiasm though.

Something tells me that Warners offices will be bombarded with phone calls in the next few days. This is a job so many writers would kill for.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #65
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I think alot of comic writers should throw their hats in the ring.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #66
Yellow Cyclone
Pessimist

red son is arguably one of the best superman stories ever written

millar is like 50 steps beyond anything harris & co. could've done, this is great news

Old 10-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #67
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029 View Post
If the don't they are completely out of it regarding their comicbook franchises.

Mark Millar and Mark Waid should be consultants or should write the story and then bring in a good screenwriter.

They should use the same format as they did with the Nolans and Goyer.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #68
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
Maybe they could get Millar as story consultant or as a co-writer to someone with actual experience in writing screenplays for movies. I'm not confident in his ability as a screenwriter as to opposed to his work on comic books .I love his enthusiasm though.

Something tells me that Warners offices will be bombarded with phone calls in the next few days. This is a job so many writers would kill for.

Thats basically what I think also.

Mark Waids BIRTHRIGHT was a great story as well.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #69
aroundthefur33
I am the Witness

the thing i am wondering is why not go off of one of those story lines, like batman begins took alot from year one, why not start with birthright or even jeph loebs superman for all seasons, i mean those storys would be great...look at how great sin city turned out

Old 10-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #70
bgshw44
Side-Kick

as long as its a sequel and not a revamp. i still would like to see what McQuarrie could do

Old 10-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #71
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

*points at sig*

R.I.P. Heath
Old 10-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #72
BrollySupersj
Burning RED!

When he says "revamp Superman"

What does that mean exactly?

Start the franchise over?

If so, I'm so NOT for it.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #73
Dark Knight
Banned User

A complete revamp would be a mistake IMO also.

I hope McQuarrie gets hired to write the screenplay and maybe bring in Mark Waid to consult on the story.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #74
aroundthefur33
I am the Witness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
When he says "revamp Superman"

What does that mean exactly?

Start the franchise over?

If so, I'm so NOT for it.
why?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:58 PM   #75
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

i would be all for millar taking script duties, but i dont want a revamp. i want singer's sequel, and i'd be totally cool with millar working with singer on the story/script.