The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 05-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #426
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

I was a lurker as far back as 2002 here, and it was indeed a different time and attitude all around. I don't remember seeing that disapproving sentiment toward these films start to really become the thing until shortly post SM3's release started to sink in and more and more after the cancellation.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

TIMESPACE.
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #427
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Many people online have an "out with the old" mentality. I swear 99% of people loved Raimi's first two films before the reboot.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #428
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

I'm not saying that mentality doesn't exist to an extent, but you guys are REALLY overselling it.

If the trend is so large why isn't the Webb series more beloved? It's not hated, but it hasn't be embraced with open arms either.I still see PLENTY of people claiming the first series is superior. I'm sure if you were to poll people the Raimi films would come on top still by a good margin. The Raimi lovers are still in the majority.
Not everybody who likes the Webb films better just decided to ditch Raimi because they're older. That's generalizing to an insane degree.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #429
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
I'm not saying that mentality doesn't exist to an extent, but you guys are REALLY overselling it.

If the trend is so large why isn't the Webb series more beloved? It's not hated, but it hasn't be embraced with open arms either.I still see PLENTY of people claiming the first series is superior. I'm sure if you were to poll people the Raimi films would come on top still by a good margin. The Raimi lovers are still in the majority.
Not everybody who likes the Webb films better just decided to ditch Raimi because they're older. That's generalizing to an insane degree.
Didn't say anything about the amount of people. It seems fairly well split between "camps".

Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #430
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
I was a lurker as far back as 2002 here, and it was indeed a different time and attitude all around. I don't remember seeing that disapproving sentiment toward these films start to really become the thing until shortly post SM3's release started to sink in and more and more after the cancellation.

It was a much different experience as a Spidey forums poster in regard to the Raimi films pre-SM3. Once SM3 hit, it was definitely devisive. Over time, that ballooned to they all sucked for a fair amount of people.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #431
spiderral
Side-Kick

I watched through all four Spidey films again last summer and SM1 stood out as my favourite.
I feel like I need to watch SM2 again though to try and pick out what exactly I'm missing; I've never really thought of it as being the best out of the Raimi trilogy and I'm getting vibes that people are just jumping on the "Spider-Man 2 is the best CBM bandwagon" without acknowledging that there are better CBMs out there.
It's not that there was anything wrong with the film or that it was bad, just overrated IMO.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #432
Venus
Side-Kick

Definitely. My least fave of the trilogy.

Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #433
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Spider-Man 2 is still the best Spider-Man movie ever made, hands down. Not overrated at all.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #434
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I have disliked SM2 since its first release, Toby just wasn't Peter Parker for me, the unmasking stuff drove me nuts and MJ was a man eater we was meant to root for and the plot of him losing his powers because... Confidence issues was a weak and not very interesting plot device

I think if it was released now it wouldn't be seen as the as highly, I think it came out In a time when no one knew the levels comic book movies could go in terms of action and look and they came out impressed and overall chose to ignore the obvious flaws and that has become a huge nostalgia for many, and nostalgia is a powerful thing

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 06-06-2014 at 01:32 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #435
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

MJ is definitely the weak spot in the film. But Peter's arc is great, I think. There's just the right balance of humor. Molina's Doc Ock is still one of the best onscreen comic book villains to date, IMO. The action scenes are great, particularly the train sequence, which is a lot of fun.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #436
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I have disliked SM2 since its first release, Toby just wasn't Peter Parker for me, the unmasking stuff drove me nuts and MJ was a man eater we was meant to root for and the plot of him losing his powers because... Confidence issues was a weak and not very interesting plot device
MJ had one boyfriend in Spider-Man 2. How does that make her a man eater? You'd be more just to call her that in Spider-Man 1 since she went from Flash, to Harry, to snogging Spider-Man, to trying to get with Peter all in one movie.

Second, confidence issues were not Peter's problem. It was emotional issues. Guilt, grief etc from the harsh effects being Spider-Man has had on his life. It's taken straight from the comic books. It's pure Spider-Man.

Quote:
I think if it was released now it wouldn't be seen as the as highly, I think it came out In a time when no one knew the levels comic book movies could go in terms of action and look and they came out impressed and overall chose to ignore the obvious flaws and that has become a huge nostalgia for many, and nostalgia is a powerful thing
This is such a weak argument. You're basically accusing everyone of having nostalgia goggles instead of judging a movie for what it is. It's like saying The Godfather or Star Wars are not worthy of their reputation because they came out at a time when gangster and Sci Fi movies were not as common as they are today.

The fact that Spider-Man 2 has retained it's high status after 10 years proves it's got the legs to stand on it's own two feet, in spite of the many other great comic book movies that have come out since. It's got staying power. And only the best keep their heads above water in the face of so much competition. Nostalgia's got nothing to do with it.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 06-06-2014 at 01:55 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #437
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Definitely. My least fave of the trilogy.
Looks like we agree here too.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #438
GoodYoung
Side-Kick

Yes, it's overrated as hell. My least favorite Spider-Man movie.

GoodYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #439
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Nope.

My favorite Spider-man movie.

lukebrodyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #440
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebrodyg View Post
Nope.

My favorite Spider-man movie.
It is one of the very best comic based films of all. Back in the day, seeing it for the first time, it was a revelation for me. It's hard to explain, but it really humanised the iconic image the public is accustomed to. The guy who can do anything is as messed up as you or me. It's one thing to read about it, but to see it, was something else. You really felt the burden of being a superhero in this one, and the balance required.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #441
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I liked it when it came out, but didn't love it. I was shocked when I learned that this was so widely regarded.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #442
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
It is one of the very best comic based films of all. Back in the day, seeing it for the first time, it was a revelation for me. It's hard to explain, but it really humanised the iconic image the public is accustomed to. The guy who can do anything is as messed up as you or me. It's one thing to read about it, but to see it, was something else. You really felt the burden of being a superhero in this one, and the balance required.
I agree. There's so much that resonates when it comes to SM2. And while the direction, writing, acting and FX make this film so great, I think Tobey is what makes the movie for me. He's a complete dork at times, unsure of himself, confident at times, etc. and to me THAT'S Peter Parker.

Sadly that key element has been missing in the new films with Andrew IMO (along with most of the things I listed above).

lukebrodyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #443
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebrodyg View Post
I agree. There's so much that resonates when it comes to SM2. And while the direction, writing, acting and FX make this film so great, I think Tobey is what makes the movie for me. He's a complete dork at times, unsure of himself, confident at times, etc. and to me THAT'S Peter Parker.

Sadly that key element has been missing in the new films with Andrew IMO (along with most of the things I listed above).
I don't mind Garfield, but Tobey is my favourite Peter also. Always will be.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #444
The Endless
WE are Groot

I actually prefer the first Spider-Man.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #445
TeeKay
Side-Kick

One of the greatest superhero movies ever made for sure. Up there with TDK, DOFP and CA: TWS for me.

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote