The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: What should Brainiac look like?
A Robot 50 53.19%
A Green Humanoid 32 34.04%
Other 12 12.77%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #26
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Re: The Official Braniac Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord
I never liked post crisis Brainiac or the Milton Fine addition of the character, that all seemed needlessly convoluted and silly to me. I still think STAS Brainiac was the best version of the character and I would go with that version, plus I would go with a CGI robot instead of an onscreen actor.
It's not any more convoluted than any other comic book character. Alian AI comes to Earth, latches on to a carnival mystic, turns said mystic's body into that of a techno/organic life form and boosts his meger psychic abilities to much greater levels. Seems pretty simple to me.

Anyway, CGI is far too overused. There are plenty of instances in modern films where CGI was completely unnecessairy. This would be one of them. Use ana ctor in a suit. Looks better on screen anyway.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #27
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Braniac Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question
It's not any more convoluted than any other comic book character. Alian AI comes to Earth, latches on to a carnival mystic, turns said mystic's body into that of a techno/organic life form and boosts his meger psychic abilities to much greater levels. Seems pretty simple to me.

Anyway, CGI is far too overused. There are plenty of instances in modern films where CGI was completely unnecessairy. This would be one of them. Use ana ctor in a suit. Looks better on screen anyway.
I never understood why Brainiac would take over the mind of a circus freak instead of someone more impressive, that always felt lame and tacked on to me. Besides a CGI robot would be more fearsome looking then a guy in green makeup, which would look lame on screen.

Last edited by The Overlord; 10-14-2006 at 04:47 PM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #28
The Question

Quote:
I never understood why Brainiac would take over the mind of a circus freak instead of someone more impressive, that always felt lame and tacked on to me.
Because the circus freak had latent psychic powers that Brainiac was able to amplify to vast levels. Besides, it's actually rather smart. Who are you going to notice acting strangely or dissapearing all together? A washed up stage magician, or the President?

Quote:
Besides a CGI robot would be more fearsome looking then a guy in green makeup, which would look lame on screen.
A CGI robot would look fake. Have the guy in make up. Then you actually have someone there for the other actors to interact with.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #29
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because the circus freak had latent psychic powers that Brainiac was able to amplify to vast levels. Besides, it's actually rather smart. Who are you going to notice acting strangely or dissapearing all together? A washed up stage magician, or the President?

A CGI robot would look fake. Have the guy in make up. Then you actually have someone there for the other actors to interact with.
Why not take over the brain of a powerful alien ruler, with armies already under his command. Vril Dox pretty well had his pick of any brain in the universe, its silly that he picked a ciricus freak. Besides there were likely individuals with even greater psychic powers than Fine's in the universe. The circus freak thing always felt lame, tacked on and illogical, there was a reason DC dropped that angle from the character. Milton Fine Brainiac was never that impressive, he spent most of his time being Lex's lackey than following his agenda. Post Crisis Brainiac only became somewhat cool after that circus freak angle was dropped. STAS Brainiac is a billion times cooler than Post Crisis Brainiac.

Whether the CGI robot looks fake or not depends on how they do it, you cannot say for certain that it would look fake. Besides I don't understand how someone in a jumpsuit with green makeup would look fearsome at all or would make you believe that this villain is match for Superman.

I think the coolest look Brainiac ever had was his late Pre crisis skull robot look, when he looks like that he looks like a real threat, unlike when he is just a little green man, doesn't look threatening at all.

Last edited by The Overlord; 10-14-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:12 PM   #30
The Question

Quote:
Why not take over the brain of a powerful alien ruler, with armies already under his command. Vril Dox pretty well had his pick of any brain in the universe, its silly that he picked a ciricus freak. Besides there were likely individuals with even greater psychic powers than Fine's in the universe. The circus freak thing always felt lame, tacked on and illogical, there was a reason DC dropped that angle from the character. Milton Fine Brainiac was never that impressive, he spent most of his time being Lex's lackey than following his agenda. Post Crisis Brainiac only became somewhat cool after that circus freak angle was dropped. STAS Brainiac is a billion times cooler than Post Crisis Brainiac.
Maybe he was simply trying to be subtle. Taking over a plent from the inside out and not drawing atention to himself.

Quote:
Whether the CGI robot looks fake or not depends on how they do it, you cannot say for certain that it would look fake. Besides I don't understand how someone in a jumpsuit with green makeup would look fearsome at all or would make you believe that this villain is match for Superman.
When you say it like that, it sounds retarded. But they could use make up and make him look good. And with CGI, you can almost always tell that it's CG. I'd rather have a Brainiac who looks like he's actually in the same room with Superman.

Quote:
I think the coolest look Brainiac ever had was his late Pre crisis skull robot look, when he looks like that he looks like a real threat, unlike when he is just a little green man, doesn't look threatening at all.
Who cares if he looks threatening? All that matters is that he is threatening. Having the look he has in the Justice maxi series, plus some more techno implants, would be fine.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #31
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe he was simply trying to be subtle. Taking over a plent from the inside out and not drawing atention to himself.

When you say it like that, it sounds retarded. But they could use make up and make him look good. And with CGI, you can almost always tell that it's CG. I'd rather have a Brainiac who looks like he's actually in the same room with Superman.

Who cares if he looks threatening? All that matters is that he is threatening. Having the look he has in the Justice maxi series, plus some more techno implants, would be fine.
All Milton Fine Brainiac did was become Lex Luthor's lackey, how did that accomplish anything? Can you name one storyline where brainiac in his Milton Fine guise did anything of note? The circus angle was convoluted and uneeded, especial for a villain who had far impressive feats in the past. I never uinderstood the purpose of adding a circus freak into Brainiac's mythos. I see no reason to include Milton Fine, no matter what version of brainiac they go with. Besides again STAS Brainiac is a million times cooler than post crisis Brainac ever was.

As for CGI, I could tell that Gollum from LOTR was CGI, but I didn't care because he looked awesome. It all depends on how its handled. Little green man Brainiac never really looked threatening on the pages of the comic book either. Again maybe he did in the Justice mini(I have never read it), but doesn't mean it will translate well on screen. Movies are visual medium, if the characters do not look impressive on screen, they will not be seen as been impressive by the audience

Old 10-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #32
The Question

Quote:
All Milton Fine Brainiac did was become Lex Luthor's lackey, how did that accomplish anything? Can you name one storyline where brainiac in his Milton Fine guise did anything of note? The circus angle was convoluted and uneeded, especial for a villain who had far impressive feats in the past. I never uinderstood the purpose of adding a circus freak into Brainiac's mythos. I see no reason to include Milton Fine, no matter what version of brainiac they go with. Besides again STAS Brainiac is a million times cooler than post crisis Brainac ever was.
Mitlon Fine isn't convoluted. The Milton Fine aspect is in fact very straight forward. And Brainiac only used Lex to get into a possition where he could make a bid for power. Really, there's nothing inherently wrong with Fine.

Quote:
As for CGI, I could tell that Gollum from LOTR was CGI, but I didn't care because he looked awesome. It all depends on how its handled. Little green man Brainiac never really looked threatening on the pages of the comic book either. Again maybe he did in the Justice mini(I have never read it), but doesn't mean it will translate well on screen. Movies are visual medium, if the characters do not look impressive on screen, they will not be seen as been impressive by the audience
Gollum as CGI was necessairy because no one on Earth is that skinny and capable of acting in a film. With Brainiac, it is completely unnecessairy. Also, Brainiac is not a little green man. He's generally quite tall. And really, he doesn't need to look especially threatening or scary. He simply has to not look retarded. And green skin with cybernetic implants sticking out of your head, if done by the right makeup artist, doesn't look retarded.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by The Question; 10-14-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:27 PM   #33
The Question

Also, this is the look I was thinking of for Brainiac:

Simple yet functional.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #34
Leto
Side-Kick

That is the worst picture of Brainiac ever.

No audience in the world would take that seriously. He's wearing a dress!He has a monkey! He looks like a skinny Frankenstein!

TERRIBLE!

Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:56 PM   #35
Weadazoid
Side-Kick

Quote:

Simple yet functional.

nah he shouldn't look like that... then again he shouldn't look like this either

http://www.rolfmohr.com/Brainiac.JPG

WHy does he look more like an Alien Queen then a Supervillain????

Old 10-15-2006, 12:36 AM   #36
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto
That is the worst picture of Brainiac ever.

No audience in the world would take that seriously. He's wearing a dress!He has a monkey! He looks like a skinny Frankenstein!

TERRIBLE!
It's not a dress. They're medical scrubs. It's going for a mad scientist look. And he doesn't need the monkey.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-15-2006, 12:38 AM   #37
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:

Simple yet functional.
I don't like that look, he doesn't look powerful or threatening to be seen as worthy foe for Superman, movies are about visuals, if the villains doesn't look threatening the general audience won't see him as threeatening. I still think the Pre crisis skull robot is the best look he had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrainiacRobotic.jpg (44.6 KB, 17 views)

Old 10-15-2006, 12:40 AM   #38
The Question

Quote:
I don't like that look, he doesn't look powerful or threatening to be seen as worthy foe for Superman, movies are about visuals, if the villains doesn't look threatening the general audience won't see him as threeatening. I still think the Pre crisis skull robot is the best look he had.
If he looks threatening, then it seems that he's trying to look threatening, and that's not what Brainiac's about. If the general audiance doesn't see him as threatening based on looks, then the general audiance is ****ing retarded. He should seem threatening based on how threatening he is, not how threatening he looks. Besides, you can get some creepy mad scientist vibes from the pic I posted if it were filmed and acted properly.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-15-2006, 12:48 AM   #39
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Mitlon Fine isn't convoluted. The Milton Fine aspect is in fact very straight forward. And Brainiac only used Lex to get into a possition where he could make a bid for power. Really, there's nothing inherently wrong with Fine.

Gollum as CGI was necessairy because no one on Earth is that skinny and capable of acting in a film. With Brainiac, it is completely unnecessairy. Also, Brainiac is not a little green man. He's generally quite tall. And really, he doesn't need to look especially threatening or scary. He simply has to not look retarded. And green skin with cybernetic implants sticking out of your head, if done by the right makeup artist, doesn't look retarded.
Milton Fine is pointless, he adds nothing to the character and is just a waste of time. Seriously I don't want to waste time getting know some circus freak instead of developing the plot or Superman's character. There is only so much time we have for the movie, we don't have time to waste on Milton Fine. KISS (Keep it simple stupid). What works in the comics (though I thought Milton Fine never worked in the comics) doesn't always work on screen. Besides when was Fine planning on betraying Lex, I don't think you know your Brainiac history:
http://www.monitorduty.com/mdarchive...profil_1.shtml

Your missing a major point, films are visual medium, the audience will think the villain is a threat if he looks threatening and will not think him a threat if he doesn't look threatening.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:52 AM   #40
The Question

Quote:
Milton Fine is pointless, he adds nothing to the character and is just a waste of time.
he doesn't take anything away from the character either.

Quote:
Seriously I don't want to waste time getting know some circus freak instead of developing the plot or Superman's character. There is only so much time we have for the movie, we don't have time to waste on Milton Fine.
Miltone Fine wouldn't take up much time at all. Washed up carnival mystic walks outside, finds weird bit of alient technology, weird bit of alien technology latches onto him and takes over his bosy. One scene.

Quote:
KISS (Keep it simple stupid). What works in the comics (though I thought Milton Fine never worked in the comics) doesn't always work on screen.
That doesn't mean it doesn't work, either.

Quote:
Your missing a major point, films are visual medium, the audience will think the villain is a threat if he looks threatening and will not think him a threat if he doesn't look threatening.
Comics are also a visual medium. And if an audience doesn't think a character is a threat just because he isn't designed to look hella badass, then the audience is too stupid ti be allowed to live.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-15-2006, 12:56 AM   #41
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
If he looks threatening, then it seems that he's trying to look threatening, and that's not what Brainiac's about. If the general audiance doesn't see him as threatening based on looks, then the general audiance is ****ing retarded. He should seem threatening based on how threatening he is, not how threatening he looks. Besides, you can get some creepy mad scientist vibes from the pic I posted if it were filmed and acted properly.
Brainiac is about a million different things, considering there as million different versions of him versions, so you really can't say what Brainiac is about, it depends on the version. He has many differnt threatening and non threatening looks over the years.

As for the audience being stupid P. T. Barnum said "you can never go broke underestimating the stupidity of American public." In most movies the villains look threatening because the audience wants a threatening looking villain.

Besides how is Brainiac supposed go toe to toe with Superman without his robot body?

Old 10-15-2006, 12:58 AM   #42
The Question

Quote:
Brainiac is about a million different things, considering there as million different versions of him versions, so you really can't say what Brainiac is about, it depends on the version. He has many differnt threatening and non threatening looks over the years.
Yet Brainiac's never been about making himself look cool or badass.

Quote:
As for the audience being stupid P. T. Barnum said "you can never go broke underestimating the stupidity of American public." In most movies the villains look threatening because the audience wants a threatening looking villain.
That doesn't mean that the audience would be so stupid as to think that the villain isn't a threat simply because he doesn't look badass. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the green skin/cybernetic implant look.

Quote:
Besides how is Brainiac supposed go toe to toe with Superman without his robot body?
By using telekinesis and energy blasts, like always.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-15-2006, 01:03 AM   #43
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
he doesn't take anything away from the character either.

Miltone Fine wouldn't take up much time at all. Washed up carnival mystic walks outside, finds weird bit of alient technology, weird bit of alien technology latches onto him and takes over his bosy. One scene.

That doesn't mean it doesn't work, either.

Comics are also a visual medium. And if an audience doesn't think a character is a threat just because he isn't designed to look hella badass, then the audience is too stupid ti be allowed to live.
If he doesn't add anything to the character, what's the point putting him in a film? Besides I never liked Milton Fine, so I would be happy if he wasn't the film and see no point in adding him into the movie, he is a stupid concept and mere minor footnote in brainiac's vast history.

Comics are visual medium, but works in a different way, what works in the comics doesn't always work on film. Why do you think Wolverine didn't wear his comic costume in the films? Besides so far most people on this thread have reacted negatively to your Brainiac picture. But that's just a few posters, if some one made a thread with a poll asking how Brainiac should look, we will see which one people like better.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:06 AM   #44
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default The Official Brainiac Thread

What should Brainiac look like? A robot, a green humanoid or somethig else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dc_direct_ross_series5_brainiac.jpg (27.2 KB, 60 views)

Old 10-15-2006, 01:08 AM   #45
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default Re: What should Brainiac look like?

Up above is humanoid brainiac and here is robot Brainiac:

http://www.monitorduty.com/mdarchive...iacRobotic.jpg

Last edited by The Overlord; 10-15-2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:32 AM   #46
The Question

Quote:
If he doesn't add anything to the character, what's the point putting him in a film?
Because it doesn't take anything away from the character either. It simply is.

Quote:
Besides I never liked Milton Fine, so I would be happy if he wasn't the film and see no point in adding him into the movie, he is a stupid concept and mere minor footnote in brainiac's vast history.
Fine, I guess. I just don't think it hurts anything.

Quote:
Comics are visual medium, but works in a different way, what works in the comics doesn't always work on film. Why do you think Wolverine didn't wear his comic costume in the films?
True. But Brainiac is hardly an example of this. His look isn't particularly bad or cheesy.

Quote:
Besides so far most people on this thread have reacted negatively to your Brainiac picture. But that's just a few posters, if some one made a thread with a poll asking how Brainiac should look, we will see which one people like better.
Three people have responded. I'd hardly call that a fair assesment.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-15-2006, 01:48 AM   #47
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because it doesn't take anything away from the character either. It simply is.

Fine, I guess. I just don't think it hurts anything.

True. But Brainiac is hardly an example of this. His look isn't particularly bad or cheesy.

Three people have responded. I'd hardly call that a fair assesment.
This poll showed that big majority of people on this board would prefer robot brainiac to humanoid Brainiac:

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/...brainiac+robot

Last edited by The Overlord; 10-15-2006 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:51 AM   #48
Kabuki_Jo
Side-Kick

This has been asked before, with pictures...

Kabuki_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:56 AM   #49
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki_Jo
This has been asked before, with pictures...
Never mind, the mods can close this thread if they want.

Last edited by The Overlord; 10-15-2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:49 AM   #50
Thespiralgoeson
Cryptorchid

Quote:
I never liked post crisis Brainiac or the Milton Fine addition of the character, that all seemed needlessly convoluted and silly to me. I still think STAS Brainiac was the best version of the character and I would go with that version, plus I would go with a CGI robot instead of an onscreen actor.
Agreed. STAS Brainiac is by far and away my favorite incarnation of the character.

Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote