The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: What should Brainiac look like?
A Robot 50 53.19%
A Green Humanoid 32 34.04%
Other 12 12.77%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2006, 01:47 AM   #76
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Braniac Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Okay.

If your just going to argue solely on opinion this discussion will go nowhere.

But all of those Brainiacs are humanoid in apearance, and the DCAU Brainiac is a green skinned humanoid. And Brainiac has always been alien AI.

Post crisis Brainiac is abiological being Viril Dox, an alien humanoid, not an aI. I perfer the AI. I suppose the STAS like may work as well, as long as Brainiac looks robotic.

[/COLOR][/COLOR]

I just like his personality better. DCAU Brainiac is completely cold and emotionless. Post Crisis Brainiac had a very dry sense of humor and a flair for the dramatic. He;s more fun, I guess.

Mongul already has a nasty sense of humour, giving Brainiac makes him seem generic and Darkseid kinda has a flare for the dramatic. Besides humanoid Brainiac is a Coluan, they are race of pure logic with no emotions (like the Vulcans) so he shouldn't have a sense of humour or a flare for the dramatic. Making Brainiac cold, logical and indifferent makes different from other alien menaces, he isn't a sadist like Darksied or has a sense of humour like Mongul, that's what makes him different.

[COLOR=blue]

Why does he need a personal connection?

Why not? It puts him a cut above other alien menaces in terms of dramatic tension.

You can still do a more robotic looking Brainiac with practical effects. CGI is far too over used. If we have a completely CGI Brainiac, there's nothing for the actors to interact with on stage. And all completely CGI characters I've seen in films with the exception of one looked obviously fake, which is really really distracting. CGI is completely unnecessairy here. Practical effects should not become a dead art form.

I want as much CGI as needed to bring a cool looking robot Brainiac, they use other effects as well, as long as I see robot Brainiac on screen. Like Doc Ock arms in SMII, they combined robotics with CGI to put them on screen and they looked great. Why couldn't they do that with Brainiac

Besides, Brainiac's body has, for a long time, been techno/organic in nature. He can look more or less fleshy on the outside with a bunch of artificial implants and simply have his innards be a blend of technology and biology.
If he doesn't have all over robot body, what Superman from knocking him out in the first second? Robot Brainiac was always tougher. In early 1980s robot Brainiac defeated the JLA and has a major player in Crisis on Infinite earths. In the late 90s, the robotic Brainiac 13 posed the greatest threat of any appearances from post crisis Brainaic. Robot Brainiac is just more of a threat then humanoid Brainiac.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:39 PM   #77
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Re: The Official Braniac Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord
If your just going to argue solely on opinion this discussion will go nowhere.

We're both argueing solely on opinion.

Quote:
Post crisis Brainiac is abiological being Viril Dox, an alien humanoid, not an aI. I perfer the AI. I suppose the STAS like may work as well, as long as Brainiac looks robotic.

Fine. I personally prefer him to look likle a techno/organic blend.

Quote:
Mongul already has a nasty sense of humour, giving Brainiac makes him seem generic and Darkseid kinda has a flare for the dramatic. Besides humanoid Brainiac is a Coluan, they are race of pure logic with no emotions (like the Vulcans) so he shouldn't have a sense of humour or a flare for the dramatic. Making Brainiac cold, logical and indifferent makes different from other alien menaces, he isn't a sadist like Darksied or has a sense of humour like Mongul, that's what makes him different.

You obviously know absolutely nothing about Brainiac. Or the people of Colu, for that matter. Brainiac does have a dry sense of humor and a flair for the dramatic. And the people of Colu are not cold and emotionless. They're just really really smart and think they're better than everyone else. Brainiac 5 is detatched from the rest of the Legion, but that's because he's an *******, not because he lacks emotion.

Quote:
Why not? It puts him a cut above other alien menaces in terms of dramatic tension.

But it seems kind of arbitrairy. I'd rather see a Brainiac based on the comics than S:TAS. There's no need for him to be from Krypton.

Quote:
I want as much CGI as needed to bring a cool looking robot Brainiac, they use other effects as well, as long as I see robot Brainiac on screen. Like Doc Ock arms in SMII, they combined robotics with CGI to put them on screen and they looked great. Why couldn't they do that with Brainiac

They could. But he should not be completely CGI. As much of it as possible should be a guy in a suit. CGI is far too overused, and practical effects are a dying art form.

Quote:
If he doesn't have all over robot body, what Superman from knocking him out in the first second? Robot Brainiac was always tougher. In early 1980s robot Brainiac defeated the JLA and has a major player in Crisis on Infinite earths. In the late 90s, the robotic Brainiac 13 posed the greatest threat of any appearances from post crisis Brainaic. Robot Brainiac is just more of a threat then humanoid Brainiac.
You obviously haven't been listening to me at all. As I said: Don;t actually have him physically fighting Superman. Brainiac has never been a physical fighter. He uses weapons and TK and energy based atacks against Supes. Also, I doubt robotic Brainiac taking down the JLA happened with him physically fighting them hand to hand, and his major part in the Crisis had him in a mastermind role. Wether or not he's a robot is superficial in that story. He could have been completely humanoid and the story would have been the same. Also, if you do have him actually trading blows with Supes (although I don't see why), why not just imply that when he altered the organic tissues in his body, he made them tougher?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:59 PM   #78
GreenKToo
In the fire

I would like to see a mix of a humanoid/robot Brainiac.Whose to say he couldnt go toe to toe with supes.we dont know where he will be from.Also,I would love to see Hugo Weaving play him....

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:41 AM   #79
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
[/COLOR]

We're both argueing solely on opinion.

Fair enough.

[/COLOR]

Fine. I personally prefer him to look likle a techno/organic blend.

Different strokes for different folks.

You obviously know absolutely nothing about Brainiac. Or the people of Colu, for that matter. Brainiac does have a dry sense of humor and a flair for the dramatic. And the people of Colu are not cold and emotionless. They're just really really smart and think they're better than everyone else. Brainiac 5 is detatched from the rest of the Legion, but that's because he's an *******, not because he lacks emotion.

I always heard that the Coluans were logical and emotional, but I may have heard wrong. Anyway I still think Brainiac being cold, indifferent and emotionless sets him apart from more emotional cosmic meanaces, like the sadistic Darksied.

But it seems kind of arbitrairy. I'd rather see a Brainiac based on the comics than S:TAS. There's no need for him to be from Krypton.

I perfer STAS Brainiac, he is far less convoluted and entertaining character.

They could. But he should not be completely CGI. As much of it as possible should be a guy in a suit. CGI is far too overused, and practical effects are a dying art form.

If they could use a combo of robotics and CGI to make robot Brainiac look awesome on screen, I don't see why shouldn't do it.

You obviously haven't been listening to me at all. As I said: Don;t actually have him physically fighting Superman. Brainiac has never been a physical fighter. He uses weapons and TK and energy based atacks against Supes. Also, I doubt robotic Brainiac taking down the JLA happened with him physically fighting them hand to hand, and his major part in the Crisis had him in a mastermind role. Wether or not he's a robot is superficial in that story. He could have been completely humanoid and the story would have been the same. Also, if you do have him actually trading blows with Supes (although I don't see why), why not just imply that when he altered the organic tissues in his body, he made them tougher?
People on this board want a villain that can present a phsyical threat in the next film, they want they want some action, that's what was missing in SR. I don't want Brainiac to be just another bald evil genius, Lex already has that angle covered. If Brainiac just has mental powers what's to stop Supes from going at super speed and knocking him out before he can think? People want a big super villain brawl in the next film, not another bald evil genius. Robot Brainiac has been able to present a phsyical threat to Superman, look at Brainiac 13 and STAS Brainiac. In SR we already had a villain who was just an evil genius, in the sequel why not have a villain who is both a thinker and a fighter?

Old 10-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #80
The Question

Quote:
I always heard that the Coluans were logical and emotional,

Yes, they are logical and emotional.

All kidding asside, the people of Colu are not unemotional. They're just arrogant.

Quote:
but I may have heard wrong. Anyway I still think Brainiac being cold, indifferent and emotionless sets him apart from more emotional cosmic meanaces, like the sadistic Darksied.
How would making him unemotional make him less like Darkseid? Darkseid is very unemotional. Unless you really piss him off, he's usually quite cold and monotone. Making Brainiac unemotional is turning him into The Borg. And I'd rather see Brainiac actually be Brainiac.

Quote:
I perfer STAS Brainiac, he is far less convoluted and entertaining character.
There's nothing convoluted about Brainiac's origin. Computerized alien inteligence fuses with human. Gives human super powers. Slowly transforms human body into a techno/organic one. Tries to take over the world. It's pretty simple. And S:TAS Brainiac was basically The Eradicator with Brainiac's name.

Quote:
If they could use a combo of robotics and CGI to make robot Brainiac look awesome on screen, I don't see why shouldn't do it.

They should use CGI when necessairy. In other words, Brainiac should not be CGI as much as possible. I want Superman to be fighting something real, not a cartoon.

Quote:
People on this board want a villain that can present a phsyical threat in the next film, they want they want some action, that's what was missing in SR.
I didn't say there shouldn't be action. I said that Brainiac doesn't have to physically trade blows with Superman. He never has. He uses TK and energy blasts to knock him around.

Quote:
I don't want Brainiac to be just another bald evil genius, Lex already has that angle covered.
That's not what I said at all.

Quote:
If Brainiac just has mental powers what's to stop Supes from going at super speed and knocking him out before he can think?
What does that even mean?

Quote:
People want a big super villain brawl in the next film, not another bald evil genius.
That's not what I said. I said Brainiac shouldn't be physically trading blows with Superman, as that is something Brainiac has never done. He should still fight Superman.

Quote:
Robot Brainiac has been able to present a phsyical threat to Superman, look at Brainiac 13 and STAS Brainiac.
Neither of who,e ever actually traded blows with Superman. They blasted him with energy and sent robotic drones after him.

Quote:
In SR we already had a villain who was just an evil genius, in the sequel why not have a villain who is both a thinker and a fighter?
Okay, you obviously haven't actually paid atention to half of what I've said here.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #81
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Yes, they are logical and emotional.

All kidding asside, the people of Colu are not unemotional. They're just arrogant.

[COLOR=blue][COLOR=#000000]

How would making him unemotional make him less like Darkseid? Darkseid is very unemotional. Unless you really piss him off, he's usually quite cold and monotone. Making Brainiac unemotional is turning him into The Borg. And I'd rather see Brainiac actually be Brainiac.

Darkseid is only unemotional in a psychopath way, he doesn't happiness or joy, he still feels anger, hatred and sadism. Robot Brainiac is completely unemotional he feels nothing.

There's nothing convoluted about Brainiac's origin. Computerized alien inteligence fuses with human. Gives human super powers. Slowly transforms human body into a techno/organic one. Tries to take over the world. It's pretty simple. And S:TAS Brainiac was basically The Eradicator with Brainiac's name.

Look at bit deeper, first Post crisis Brainiac was not an AI, but a biological being who transfers his mind into other beings. First let's look a Post crisis Brainiac: he was Vril Dox a scientist who has executed for treason on his home planet, before he died he transfered his mind to circus freak on Earth (instead of a powerful alien warlord). He fought Superman, becomaer Lex's minion, didn't do a whole lot. Then he was seperated from the circus freak (making the circus freak kinda pointless). after that he conquered his home planet and engaged in a war against earth. After that failed he he treied to transfere his mind into Doomsday, which failed, so transfered his mind into a robot body, Brainiac 2.5.

Then in 1999 Brainiac 2.5 attempted to upgrade his body and accidently created Brainiac 13, a version of himself based technoloy that will be seen until the far future. So they were version of Brainiac running around, Brainiac 2.5 transfered his mind into Lena Luthor. After Brainiac 13 was defeated he offer Lex advanced tech in exchange for Lena. Brainiac 13 was destoryed when he was sent to the dawn of time at the end of "World at War". Also in Superman #200 (February 2004), Superman traveled into the future and battled Brainiac 12, learning that everything Brainiac 13 had done in the past had been designed to ensure things reached the point where Brainiac 13 would be created. Brainiac 12's defeat before his upgrade apparently reversed the advances Brainiac 13 had made to Metropolis. That's not factoring in Brainiac 8, Brainiac's daugther. How is that not covoluted?

They should use CGI when necessairy. In other words, Brainiac should not be CGI as much as possible. I want Superman to be fighting something real, not a cartoon.

Doc Ock's robot arms looked real and they were a combo of robotics and CGI.

I didn't say there shouldn't be action. I said that Brainiac doesn't have to physically trade blows with Superman. He never has. He uses TK and energy blasts to knock him around.

Late Pre crisis Brainiac, Brainiac 13 and STAS Brainac were able to give Superman a fight, because their robot bodies are so durable they can take a bunch of punches from Superman and not be harmed. I want a Brainiac who can take some punishement and give it out with his super technology.

That's not what I said at all.

What does that even mean?

Superman can move at light speed, which is faster then the speed of thought, Superman can knock him out before he can think and use his powers.

That's not what I said. I said Brainiac shouldn't be physically trading blows with Superman, as that is something Brainiac has never done. He should still fight Superman.

Late Pre crisis Brainiac, Brainiac 13 and STAS Brainac were able to give Superman a fight, because their robot bodies are so durable they can take a bunch of punches from Superman and not be harmed. I want a Brainiac who can take some punishement and give it out with his super technology. Humanoid Brainiac is not nearly as durable as robot Brainiac.

Neither of who,e ever actually traded blows with Superman. They blasted him with energy and sent robotic drones after him.

Okay, you obviously haven't actually paid atention to half of what I've said here.
Yes I have.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 PM   #82
The Question

Quote:
Darkseid is only unemotional in a psychopath way, he doesn't happiness or joy, he still feels anger, hatred and sadism. Robot Brainiac is completely unemotional he feels nothing.

Okay, but here's the thing: That ain't Brainiac. Brainiac is quite emotional and has a rather big flair for the dramatic. He's like what a retired Shakesperian actor would be like if he became a super villain.

Quote:
Look at bit deeper, first Post crisis Brainiac was not an AI, but a biological being who transfers his mind into other beings. First let's look a Post crisis Brainiac: he was Vril Dox a scientist who has executed for treason on his home planet, before he died he transfered his mind to circus freak on Earth (instead of a powerful alien warlord). He fought Superman, becomaer Lex's minion, didn't do a whole lot. Then he was seperated from the circus freak (making the circus freak kinda pointless). after that he conquered his home planet and engaged in a war against earth. After that failed he he treied to transfere his mind into Doomsday, which failed, so transfered his mind into a robot body, Brainiac 2.5.

It's still not a complicated origin: Alien consciousness fuses with a human, gives human body super powers and makes it techno/organic in nature, and tries to take over the world. At it's core, it's simple. No more complicated than Batman or Superman's origins.

Quote:
Then in 1999 Brainiac 2.5 attempted to upgrade his body and accidently created Brainiac 13, a version of himself based technoloy that will be seen until the far future. So they were version of Brainiac running around, Brainiac 2.5 transfered his mind into Lena Luthor. After Brainiac 13 was defeated he offer Lex advanced tech in exchange for Lena. Brainiac 13 was destoryed when he was sent to the dawn of time at the end of "World at War". Also in Superman #200 (February 2004), Superman traveled into the future and battled Brainiac 12, learning that everything Brainiac 13 had done in the past had been designed to ensure things reached the point where Brainiac 13 would be created. Brainiac 12's defeat before his upgrade apparently reversed the advances Brainiac 13 had made to Metropolis. That's not factoring in Brainiac 8, Brainiac's daugther. How is that not covoluted?

That's not his origin. That's his entire character history up until now. That's like saying Batman's origin is concoluted and then referencing every in continuity Batman story up until now.

Quote:
Doc Ock's robot arms looked real and they were a combo of robotics and CGI.

Because Doc Ock's arms, at a distance, couldn't be pulled off with CGI. Brainiac, robotic or not, can be pulled off without CGI for the most part.

Quote:
Late Pre crisis Brainiac, Brainiac 13 and STAS Brainac were able to give Superman a fight, because their robot bodies are so durable they can take a bunch of punches from Superman and not be harmed. I want a Brainiac who can take some punishement and give it out with his super technology.

In none of those cases did Brainiac ever engage Superman in hand to hand combat. You don't need a physical trading of blows to have action. Brainiac has always used energy based atacks and defenses agains Superman.

Quote:
Superman can move at light speed, which is faster then the speed of thought, Superman can knock him out before he can think and use his powers.

Obviously, he can't, because that's not what happens. Superman hasn't been able to move at the speed of light in a while.

Quote:
Late Pre crisis Brainiac, Brainiac 13 and STAS Brainac were able to give Superman a fight, because their robot bodies are so durable they can take a bunch of punches from Superman and not be harmed. I want a Brainiac who can take some punishement and give it out with his super technology. Humanoid Brainiac is not nearly as durable as robot Brainiac.

Why? Why can't his body be altered to be super durable? And more to the point: Why do you want to turn Brainiac into something he's not? Brainiac doesn't engage in direct hand to hand combat. Brainiac only had a solely robotic body for a few short years in the 80s, and hasn't since. Brainiac is not from Krypton. And Brainiac has emotions. You don't want Brainiac. You want The Eradicator.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #83
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:

Okay, but here's the thing: That ain't Brainiac. Brainiac is quite emotional and has a rather big flair for the dramatic. He's like what a retired Shakesperian actor would be like if he became a super villain.

It is Brainiac, Pre crisis Brainiac was an emotionless robot. The thing you don't get is there so many versions of Brainiac that you can't say for sure what he is supposed to be, there is a lot of wiggle room.

[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]It's still not a complicated origin: Alien consciousness fuses with a human, gives human body super powers and makes it techno/organic in nature, and tries to take over the world. At it's core, it's simple. No more complicated than Batman or Superman's origins.

Its stupid though, Brainiac takes over a circus freak instead of alien warlord? Pre crisis Brainiac was far better character than Post crisis Brainiac.

That's not his origin. That's his entire character history up until now. That's like saying Batman's origin is concoluted and then referencing every in continuity Batman story up until now.

Batman at least stayed in the same body and didn't get involved in time travel. Brainiac is the most convoluted character outside of the X universe.

Because Doc Ock's arms, at a distance, couldn't be pulled off with CGI. Brainiac, robotic or not, can be pulled off without CGI for the most part.

Whatever, as long as he's a robot that looks awesome on screen, I will be happy.

In none of those cases did Brainiac ever engage Superman in hand to hand combat. You don't need a physical trading of blows to have action. Brainiac has always used energy based atacks and defenses agains Superman.

I know, about robot brainiac is far more durable than humanoid Brainiac and thus could give Superman a way better fight, unlike humanoid Brainiac who couldn't take one hit from Superman.

Obviously, he can't, because that's not what happens. Superman hasn't been able to move at the speed of light in a while.

Incorrect, Superman moves at near light speeds in the comics to this day, he is just given plot induced stupidity to prevent him speed blitzing an enemy and ending the comic in one panel. Besides Superman was clocked at near light speeds in SR.

Why? Why can't his body be altered to be super durable? And more to the point: Why do you want to turn Brainiac into something he's not? Brainiac doesn't engage in direct hand to hand combat. Brainiac only had a solely robotic body for a few short years in the 80s, and hasn't since. Brainiac is not from Krypton. And Brainiac has emotions. You don't want Brainiac. You want The Eradicator.
Incorrect: Pre crisis Brainiac, Brainiac 13 and STAS Brainiac are similar to what I described. Pre crisis Brainiac was always an emotionless robot, he was merely disguised as humanoid for most of his career, the late Pre crisis Brainiac was his true form. Plus Brainiac 13 was almost completely a robot. Plus in all media depictions of Brainiac, he is a robot (Super Friends, STAS, JLU, Smallville). Face it Robot Brainiac is the most popular incarnation of the character and the one most people are familar with.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:39 AM   #84
darthlaney
Kryptonian Son

I would like to see Brainiac as an armoured humaniod. Not a robot or the green man, but green metallic armour, with the symbol on his forehead. Think of the ZOD armour in recent comics, but not so medievil, more Iron-man.

I'm not a fan of any of his incarnations in the comics and animated series. In fact I would prefer another villian, but as the discussion surrounds Brainiac at present - I'll consider anything.

darthlaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #85
The Question

Quote:
It is Brainiac, Pre crisis Brainiac was an emotionless robot. The thing you don't get is there so many versions of Brainiac that you can't say for sure what he is supposed to be, there is a lot of wiggle room.

Pre-Crisis Brainiac wasn't a robot. He was from Colu, just like Post Crisis Brainiac. He was techno/organic in nature, but he wasn't a robot. And he wasn't emotionless. Simply arrogant and a douchebag.

Quote:
Its stupid though, Brainiac takes over a circus freak instead of alien warlord? Pre crisis Brainiac was far better character than Post crisis Brainiac.

It's not stupid. He took over a carnival mystic because he had latient psychic powers and could be easily manipulated. And he eventually became a major threat anyway, so what's the big deal?

Quote:
Batman at least stayed in the same body and didn't get involved in time travel. Brainiac is the most convoluted character outside of the X universe.

But that doesn't make his origin convoluted. Since a film would simply be going with his origin story, it wouldn't be complicated at all.

Quote:
I know, about robot brainiac is far more durable than humanoid Brainiac and thus could give Superman a way better fight, unlike humanoid Brainiac who couldn't take one hit from Superman.

1) As I have said many many times, that is not how Brainiac fights. Brainiac uses energy based atacks. He pummels Superman with TK. He blasts him with energy beams. He deflectsd his blows with TK force feilds.

Quote:
Incorrect, Superman moves at near light speeds in the comics to this day, he is just given plot induced stupidity to prevent him speed blitzing an enemy and ending the comic in one panel. Besides Superman was clocked at near light speeds in SR.
He moves at near light speeds. He doesn't move at the speed of light. There's a difference.

Quote:
Incorrect: Pre crisis Brainiac, Brainiac 13 and STAS Brainiac are similar to what I described. Pre crisis Brainiac was always an emotionless robot, he was merely disguised as humanoid for most of his career, the late Pre crisis Brainiac was his true form.
No, Brainiac was an organic being who made himself into a techno/organic being, and later a completely robotic being for a very short period.

Quote:
Plus Brainiac 13 was almost completely a robot.
Yes. But that was Brainiac many centuries in the future after he'd made several upgrades.

Quote:
Plus in all media depictions of Brainiac, he is a robot (Super Friends, STAS, JLU, Smallville). Face it Robot Brainiac is the most popular incarnation of the character and the one most people are familar with.
Okay, here's the thing: The cartoons are not the comics. I want the movies to be based on the comics, not the cartoons. So, instead of completely changing Brainiac, why not use the character you'e actually describing: The Eradicator. The Eradicator is:

1) Completely robotic in nature.

2) From Krypton.

3) Completely lack emotions.

4) Engages in hand to hand combat with Superman.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-25-2006, 04:10 PM   #86
Lightning54SC
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlaney
I would like to see Brainiac as an armoured humaniod. Not a robot or the green man, but green metallic armour, with the symbol on his forehead. Think of the ZOD armour in recent comics, but not so medievil, more Iron-man.

I'm not a fan of any of his incarnations in the comics and animated series. In fact I would prefer another villian, but as the discussion surrounds Brainiac at present - I'll consider anything.
not a bad idea... id liek to see a skull like face mask though with the symbol on his forehead thats all i ask of

Lightning54SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #87
GreenKToo
In the fire

I could go for that..
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlaney

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:18 PM   #88
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0000ff]Pre-Crisis Brainiac wasn't a robot. He was from Colu, just like Post Crisis Brainiac. He was techno/organic in nature, but he wasn't a robot. And he wasn't emotionless. Simply arrogant and a douchebag.

Now you don't know your Brainiac history, take a lookat this article: http://www.monitorduty.com/mdarchive...profil_1.shtml Take a look at Pre crisis brainiac's origin in particular:

Luthor’s mind-scanner let him see the ancient past of the planet Colu. The people of Colu were quite intelligent scientists and created these big honking super-computers to help them run their planet. Years later, the super-computers decided they were gonna take over and became the computer tyrants. They easily overpowered the Coluans, who all had “poor sixth-level minds”, as opposed to the super-computers who had tenth-level minds.

After a while, they decided to extend their rule. To aid in them this, they created a living computer like them in humanoid form who would act as their spy. So that none would realize his connection to the computer-tyrants, the spy would look like just a green-skinned Coluan. Sensory nerves on his head were exposed, so the tyrants added a lattice to the nerves to make it look as if he just had a head ornament. To complete the creation of this spy, they took another Coluan and used his brain-wave patterns as part of the spy’s programming, allowing him to understand and mimic human emotions (this also killed the other Coluan in the process).

Finally, the spy was completed. The computer-tyrants said “Humans have names, so your name will be … BRAINIAC!”

And on the same panel, there was a footnote that read “Brainiac is also a trademark registered by Berkeley Enterprises, Inc., manufacturers of the famous Brainiac Computer Kit.” Hehehe. Oh, legal drama.

So Luthor, and readers, were surprised that Brainiac was not actually an alien but a sentient android. But of course, astute readers were immediately thinking “Wait! Brainiac 5 is his descendant! How can a robot have a descendant?!”

Well, the writers were right on it and so a mere two panels later we learned how this was possible. The computer-tyrants went on, saying, “To enhance your human disguise, you’ll adopt a SON!” They then brought out a young Coluan boy named Vril Dox and said, “This boy is now officially named Brainiac II … his name is indelibly marked on his palm.”

So Pre crisis Brainiac was indeed a robot, so a robot version of the chartacter is entirely legitimate.

It's not stupid. He took over a carnival mystic because he had latient psychic powers and could be easily manipulated. And he eventually became a major threat anyway, so what's the big deal?

And he didn't take the mind of a powerful alien warlord with vast mental abilities, because....? Besides Milton Fine Brainiac accomplished nothing except becoming Lex's stooge, Brainiac was only a threat after he was seperated from Milton Fine.

But that doesn't make his origin convoluted. Since a film would simply be going with his origin story, it wouldn't be complicated at all.

1) As I have said many many times, that is not how Brainiac fights. Brainiac uses energy based atacks. He pummels Superman with TK. He blasts him with energy beams. He deflectsd his blows with TK force feilds.

That's how Pre crisis Brainiac and Brainiac 13 fought.

He moves at near light speeds. He doesn't move at the speed of light. There's a difference.

Superman would still have faster then brainiac could think at near light speeds.

No, Brainiac was an organic being who made himself into a techno/organic being, and later a completely robotic being for a very short period.

Not Pre crisis Brainiac, as I have shown, was revealed to be a robot from almost the begining.

Yes. But that was Brainiac many centuries in the future after he'd made several upgrades.

He is still a version of the character. Besides in the film they could use the Brainiac 13 design and model, without going into the whole time travel storyline, because Brainiac doesn't exist in the films yet, they can pick and choose which version to use.

Okay, here's the thing: The cartoons are not the comics. I want the movies to be based on the comics, not the cartoons. So, instead of completely changing Brainiac, why not use the character you'e actually describing: The Eradicator. The Eradicator is:

1) Completely robotic in nature.

2) From Krypton.

3) Completely lack emotions.

4) Engages in hand to hand combat with Superman.
Pre crisis Brainiac was completely robotic in nature, engaged in hand to hand combat and had no emotions, the only thing that isn't on your lis is him being from Krypton, which I can live without, but I bet the film makers will want a menace from Krypton. Besides what yo want is irrelevant compared to the fact that most people who think of Brainiac more familar with the robot Brainiac seen on various media over the years, than anything else about him, so the film amkers will cater to that. If they use brainiac in the film in all likelyhood they will use robot Brainiac, your opinion won't change that.

Also Mr. Freeze was considered a lame character until BTAs created a tragic version of mr. Freeze, later the comics adopted BTAS Mr. Freeze's tragic backstory. Now are saying comics Mr. Freeze was a better character then BTAS Mr. Freeze and that it was wrong of DC to give comics Mr. Freeze the same tragic background?

Last edited by The Overlord; 10-25-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #89
The Question

Quote:
Now you don't know your Brainiac history, take a lookat this article: http://www.monitorduty.com/mdarchive...profil_1.shtml Take a look at Pre crisis brainiac's origin in particular:

Luthor’s mind-scanner let him see the ancient past of the planet Colu. The people of Colu were quite intelligent scientists and created these big honking super-computers to help them run their planet. Years later, the super-computers decided they were gonna take over and became the computer tyrants. They easily overpowered the Coluans, who all had “poor sixth-level minds”, as opposed to the super-computers who had tenth-level minds.

After a while, they decided to extend their rule. To aid in them this, they created a living computer like them in humanoid form who would act as their spy. So that none would realize his connection to the computer-tyrants, the spy would look like just a green-skinned Coluan. Sensory nerves on his head were exposed, so the tyrants added a lattice to the nerves to make it look as if he just had a head ornament. To complete the creation of this spy, they took another Coluan and used his brain-wave patterns as part of the spy’s programming, allowing him to understand and mimic human emotions (this also killed the other Coluan in the process).

Finally, the spy was completed. The computer-tyrants said “Humans have names, so your name will be … BRAINIAC!”

And on the same panel, there was a footnote that read “Brainiac is also a trademark registered by Berkeley Enterprises, Inc., manufacturers of the famous Brainiac Computer Kit.” Hehehe. Oh, legal drama.

So Luthor, and readers, were surprised that Brainiac was not actually an alien but a sentient android. But of course, astute readers were immediately thinking “Wait! Brainiac 5 is his descendant! How can a robot have a descendant?!”

Well, the writers were right on it and so a mere two panels later we learned how this was possible. The computer-tyrants went on, saying, “To enhance your human disguise, you’ll adopt a SON!” They then brought out a young Coluan boy named Vril Dox and said, “This boy is now officially named Brainiac II … his name is indelibly marked on his palm.”

So Pre crisis Brainiac was indeed a robot, so a robot version of the chartacter is entirely legitimate.

He was artificial. He wasn't a robot. His body was techno/organic in nature.

Quote:
And he didn't take the mind of a powerful alien warlord with vast mental abilities, because....?
Maybe because he couldn't find one. Or maybe because he happened upon Earth first. It's not a huge deal.

Quote:
Besides Milton Fine Brainiac accomplished nothing except becoming Lex's stooge, Brainiac was only a threat after he was seperated from Milton Fine.
Quote:
He didn't seperate from Fine. He altered Fine's body to be more artificial in nature.

Quote:
That's how Pre crisis Brainiac and Brainiac 13 fought.
That is not how Pre-Crisis Brainiac fought. Brainiac used force feilds and energy atacks against Superman.

Quote:
Superman would still have faster then brainiac could think at near light speeds.
If that's true, then a purely physical Brainiac would be useless against Superman because he'd be unable to react in time. However, since he can react in time and he does use energy based atacks in the comics, then there's nothing illogical about it happening in the film.

Quote:
Not Pre crisis Brainiac, as I have shown, was revealed to be a robot from almost the begining.
His origional form was still techno/organic in nature.

Quote:
He is still a version of the character.
But he's not a version of the character you'd have in an origin film. That would be like making the Superman film about Superman Prime.

Quote:
Besides in the film they could use the Brainiac 13 design and model, without going into the whole time travel storyline, because Brainiac doesn't exist in the films yet, they can pick and choose which version to use.
Quote:
You still shouldn't choose a version of the character that isn't meant to exist in the present of the current continuity.

Quote:
Pre crisis Brainiac was completely robotic in nature,
Techno/organic.

Quote:
engaged in hand to hand combat
No, he did not.

Quote:
and had no emotions,
He did have emotions.

Quote:
the only thing that isn't on your lis is him being from Krypton, which I can live without, but I bet the film makers will want a menace from Krypton.
Then they're not using Brainiac. They're using The Eradicator.

Quote:
Besides what yo want is irrelevant compared to the fact that most people who think of Brainiac more familar with the robot Brainiac seen on various media over the years, than anything else about him, so the film amkers will cater to that. If they use brainiac in the film in all likelyhood they will use robot Brainiac, your opinion won't change that.
Okay. Here's the deal: I don't give a crap about what other people want. This is based solely on opinion. I care about what I want. And what I want is for Brainiac to be Brainiac. There is a character exactly like how you describes. His name is The Eradicator. He is an emotionless, completely inorganic entity from Krypton who engages in close quarters, hand to hand combat with Superman. Instead of turning Brainiac into The Eradicator, use The Eradicator.

Quote:
Also Mr. Freeze was considered a lame character until BTAs created a tragic version of mr. Freeze, later the comics adopted BTAS Mr. Freeze's tragic backstory. Now are saying comics Mr. Freeze was a better character then BTAS Mr. Freeze and that it was wrong of DC to give comics Mr. Freeze the same tragic background?
They didn't fundamentally change Freeze's character. They gave him a backstory, which he lacked in any real regard for several years. What your asking is to turn Brainiac into a completely different and already existing character. The Eradicator. Instead of using The Eradicator and giving him Brainiac's name, why not just use The Eradicator?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-27-2006, 01:56 AM   #90
batlovescatDC
Tragic Love

Default Re: What should Brainiac look like?

Exactly... a bigger, older, darker, scarier version of the way he is on Legion of Heroes (cartoon on WB)... and without the blonde hair.

batlovescatDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:14 AM   #91
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

robot

Cast Joe Manganiello for Kraven the Hunter!
GoldGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #92
Jasomius
Banned User

I think Rutger Hauer should play Braniac.

Jasomius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #93
Steelsheen
Iconic

Quote:
Also, this is the look I was thinking of for Brainiac:

Simple yet functional.

TQ, your version of Brainiac will work well if he merged with Luthor.

i'm partial to the TAS version of Brainiac as well (the android from Krypton), but the "Luthorniac" in JLU won me over hands down. that's the way Brainiac should go.

M A D N E S S
IS LIKE GRAVITY
ALL IT TAKES
IS A LITTLE
PUSH

Join the newest Maze Runner Community built by Gladers for Gladers! http://themazerunner.net/forums

Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen | MazeRunner @DashnerGeek | Divergent @SteeleDivergent

Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #94
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsheen
TQ, your version of Brainiac will work well if he merged with Luthor.

i'm partial to the TAS version of Brainiac as well (the android from Krypton), but the "Luthorniac" in JLU won me over hands down. that's the way Brainiac should go.

I wouldn't have him merg with Luthor in the first film. Maybe a later sequel.

Anyway, just so everyone knows, here's how I envisioned Brainiac's character in the film. It's sort of a compromise between Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis:

On the planet Colu, many many centuries ago, a scientist named Vril Dox proposed a plan to bring peace and order to the people of Colu: Remove all free will. People would still be allowed to make small descisions, but all major ones would be decided for them. Sort of in between the world of Demolition Man and The Borg. Since Colu was still rebuilding in the wake of a particularly nastly civil war, the government of Colu accepted Vril's plan. Very strict, life controlling laws were put into place, and everly Coluian was given cybernetic implants in theuir brains that would help to keep them in line. To insure that Colu would be protected from outside forces, deep space probes were sent out to do to other worlds what was doen to Colu.

Eventually, one such probe sensed the activity of Kryptonian terra-forming technology on Earth. Seeing the benefits of using such technology, it made it's way to Earth. It crashed somewhere in Arkansas, and found it's way to a small carnival. There' it saw Milton Fine, a stage magician for the carnival and very low level psionic metahuman, working under the stage name "Brainiac." The probe latched onto fine, killing him, and taking control of his body. It began the process of making Fine's body techno/organic in nature, and altering it's DNA to be more akin to that of a Coluian. It also gratly amplified Fine's meager psychic abilities to vast levels, enabling it to move imense weights with telekinesis, dominate and manipulate the minds of others, generate powerful blasts of energy, and create a nigh-indestructible TK forece feild around himself. The probe then takes Fine's stage name, Brainiac, as it's own name.

In terms of personality, he'd be the exact opposite of the S:TAS Bariniac. He'd have a very sarcastic sense of humor, a major flair for the dramatic, and a fascination with human culture.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #95
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Avery Brooks should play Brainiac. To save money, Brainiac starts out as a robot,but to gain Supes trust, he makes a humanoid body.

TheComicbookKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:00 PM   #96
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Defnitely a robot...Someone once made a skectch of Brainiac using the crystals of krypton.. That looked cool!

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:09 PM   #97
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
How would that be pulled off?
a mix of the a humanoid and a robot, and the ability to manifest disguises so that he can't be reconized when he does on ground surveillance of a species before he takes their knowledge and destroys them.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:34 PM   #98
Lightning54SC
Banned User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJS9IsFA0xA

Old 10-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #99
Super Kal
Side-Kick

it was removed by the user... ???

Old 10-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #100
Lightning54SC
Banned User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5nvQzeHEa4

sorry