The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 08-24-2008, 12:52 AM   #26
Captain_BluTac
You Better Run

Default Re: Skins (New Drama Coming To BBC America)

And just reading some reviews from U.S bloggers ect, they're very... scathing.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #27
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

While I haven't read those reviews, I would say they are probably fair. The show touts itself as being 'realistic' and tackling several issues youngsters deal with today. While the latter is true, the way they go about it and eventually resolve it is often extremely unrealistic and over the top. Plus, some of the stuff they get up to is completely unlike anything most people their age get up to (but rather stuff they claim they do but actually don't). That, or I'm completely out of touch with people just a couple years younger than me and I've completely missed out on an entire chapter of my life.

That said, there are the occasional sparks of gold that redeem the series. In my opinion, one of the highlights from series one would be the Anwar-Maxxie subplot featured in episode 6.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:53 PM   #28
Captain_BluTac
You Better Run

The show doesn't claim to be realistic, it claims to be from the POV of teenagers, thus things are exaggerated ect as they are in teenagers heads.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 AM   #29
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

One thing that bothers me about watching this show on BBC America is the random subtitles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming those subtitles were added by BBC America for American audiences. It's like these kids are talking and the show if flowing as normal as ever, then the moment the dialogue gets the least bit colloquial, half of the screen is flooded with text. Now, I'm an anime fan, so I don't normally mind subtitles all over the screen when I don't speak the spoken language, but I absolutely hate English subtitles with English dialogue.

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #30
WallCrawl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
One thing that bothers me about watching this show on BBC America is the random subtitles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming those subtitles were added by BBC America for American audiences. It's like these kids are talking and the show if flowing as normal as ever, then the moment the dialogue gets the least bit colloquial, half of the screen is flooded with text. Now, I'm an anime fan, so I don't normally mind subtitles all over the screen when I don't speak the spoken language, but I absolutely hate English subtitles with English dialogue.
BBC America put subtitles on it? Now that's just embarrassing.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #31
arachnid-guy
Banned User

HA! We dont get subtitles with American shows that use slang. It's like that 'glossary' for the language used in Clockwork Orange, when the whoel point was to learn a new language through being exposed and speculation of the words.

arachnid-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #32
Captain_BluTac
You Better Run

Quote:
LOL well that tells you all you need to know on how the network sees it's audience.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #33
Mogwai
Fanboy

well for me, 'english' english is hard to follow (in tv/movies) at first but i'm fine once i get used to it.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #34
Mogwai
Fanboy

^^it has nothing to with the vocabulary though, just the thick accents.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #35
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Please. Anybody who watches BBC America isn't going to struggle with the accents to the point of needing subtitles. Granted, the BBCA does like to start off certain shows with funny little skits where a man says something like "The following program contains accents you'd be used to if you hadn't dropped our tea in Boston Harbor." But they usually recommend we turn on the Closed Caption for that stuff. Forcing subtitles into the show is just... condescending.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #36
kainedamo
Banned User

Take it from me - Skins sucks. It's a very shallow, overly dramatic, overly stylized, piece of crap for teens with low attention spans. It tries to be more high quality than what it is. No. It just sucks. It's like a half hour long music video.

kainedamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:03 PM   #37
kainedamo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
well for me, 'english' english is hard to follow (in tv/movies) at first but i'm fine once i get used to it.
I find it difficult to understand the accents in The Wire.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #38
hammy
American Ham

I just saw an ad for this on BBCA. Might check it out.

Quote:
Please. Anybody who watches BBC America isn't going to struggle with the accents to the point of needing subtitles.
There's been several times I could have used them. Seriously, sometimes it sounds like a foreign language. However, I watched enough now that I am proud to say I can actually distinguish the various accents from each other.

And most of the time I understand them.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #39
Captain_BluTac
You Better Run

Casey, you should definitely watch this show and stick with it, somehow it manages to draw you in and even though a fair few of the story lines are a bit insane there is something very honest and realistic about the characters that to an extent makes you believe and sympathize with everything they do.

Last edited by Captain_BluTac; 08-28-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Captain_BluTac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #40
kainedamo
Banned User

Just watch The Wire instead.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #41
hammy
American Ham

Is that the one where the guy is a psychic or something?

Old 08-29-2008, 05:27 AM   #42
Captain_BluTac
You Better Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainedamo View Post
Just watch The Wire instead.
Stop spamming, no one ever cares about anything you say.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:14 AM   #43
Ash J. Williams
Hail to the king

Been watching this show and it's alright so far. I think the humor aspects are what I look forward to the most.

My deviantART
My art thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Campbell
B movies won a long time ago; the A movies just don't know it yet.
Ash J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:15 AM   #44
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Ha! This show has finally won me over with the episode where they take a trip to Russia.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #45
Captain_BluTac
You Better Run

That ('Maxxie and Anwar') is a good ep, the next ep ('Michelle') is a very good ep, but sadly the episode after that ('Effy') is a very shaky episode but I discovered that it is a lot better or repeat viewing, but luckily they are back on form for the series finale.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #46
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

I agree on the Russia episode. It strikes just the right balance of wacky adventures and social commentary. Plus, its resolution in the finale is just as good in its simplicity without being overly preachy.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #47
Captain_BluTac
You Better Run

Quote:
New 'Skins' cast revealed!

Monday, December 29 2008, 10:50 GMT
By Neil Wilkes, Editor
Ready to meet the class of 2009?

Skins is back for a third series - and this time, there's a whole new gang to get to know.

Heading up the cast is Tony's younger sister Effy (Kaya Scodelario), the beautiful and elusive queen bee. At her side is naive best friend Pandora (Lisa Blackwell).

Cook (Jack O'Connell) is the *****ure leader of the guys, always up for a laugh or a dare. His best friend is Freddie (Luke Pasqualino), a skateboarding pretty boy who sets his sights on Effy.

The boys' triumverate is completed by JJ (Ollie Barbieri), the clever one - and master magician. Naomi (Lily Loveless) is a feisty gal - passionate, principled and often locking horns with others in the group.

Finally, we have twins Katie (Megan Prescott) and Emily (Kathryn Prescott). The first is a social beast, with an older footballer boyfriend and scant regard for others, while the other lives in her sister's shadow, crippled by shyness.

I don't like the look of 'em!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #48
Captain_BluTac
You Better Run

Quote:
Earlier this month I caught up with Skins co-creator Jamie Brittain to find out more about the show's new era.

Did you film the new series in the same kind of locations as the first two?
"Yeah, well mostly Bristol. Generally there are new locations though - it's quite different from the first couple of series so there's lots of new places and new things to see. We do have college in there as a base, but other than that it's all over the place."

What can we expect from the new characters?
"They're a really interesting bunch, actually. I think once people see them, they will warm to them quite quickly because they're all quite interesting. Unlike the characters in the first two series they're very much people in development. There's no-one like Tony, who could spout clever non-sequiturs and all that stuff."

Series two was more grown-up than series one and tackled more hard-hitting themes. Will series three mark a return to that naivety of the first series?
"I think it's more of a synthesis between what series one was and what series two was, to be honest. It's got a very slick variety of tones, which we're very proud of. This year it's a lot about the simple things - growing up, working out who you are and working out where you exist in your social group. It's a classic teen story really, but within that there's a wide variety of stories and characters."

What would you say are the main differences from the old Skins then?
"To an extent - and this is just to an extent - the first time round the characters were archetypal. I think that was required to give the audience a way to get into the show, but now we're much better writers and better at creating characters, so the characters this time are much more complex, real and vivid. That isn't to do down the characters from the first time round - they're brilliant - but this time we're playing a slightly different game. It's a bit more in-depth."

When we spoke earlier this year you said it was "possible" the old cast could come back for cameos. Any movement on that?
"There's some nice references to them and stuff like that, but I don't think they'll come back. For one thing they're all off doing their own things now. Dev Patel (Anwar) has Oscar buzz around him for this Slumdog Millionaire film. Mitch Hewer's (Maxxie) doing well in Britannia High, Nick Hoult's (Tony) off doing a play, Larissa Wilson (Jal) and April Pearson (Michelle) have just been in a film and Mike Bailey's (Sid) just been in a drama for the BBC. If I were them I wouldn't want to be tied down to Skins, even though it's something to be proud of. What we hope is that when people see the new cast, they'll think 'this lot are as good as the last lot' and they won't miss the last lot."

You said the reason you ditched the previous cast was because they had a natural two-year lifespan. Would you do the same with the new cast if you went to a fifth series?
"Yeah, I think so. That's the idea. We're not really thinking that far into the future though, we do it series by series. It's hard enough to do a series on its own without thinking about the future! I would love to work on Skins as long as it's around. I think we could come up with another lot, yeah. Teenagers are so interested and varied, there's a lot you could do. We are thinking about series four already, which will of course be with the same lot, but beyond that is unknown."

Do you think the show would ever move out of Bristol?
"We never have talked about that. It's an idea, I suppose. If we felt that we'd kind of done everything we could with Bristol, we'd consider that. It's a good idea."

Finally, are you nervous about the audience reaction to the new series?
"I am nervous. But I'm also fairly confident because I think this series is really good. Just the quality of the acting, writing and directing is better than ever before. We've shown it to a few people and everyone who's seen the first episode has seemed to enjoy it so far."

Well, I'm one of those lucky few to have seen the first episode and can confirm that Jamie's right - within minutes you've forgotten all about Tony, Chris, Maxxie et al. The new characters are all introduced well - the clear standout being Cook (Jack O’Connell), who's our new Chris and Tony rolled into one. Here's a few hints of what else you can expect from the first episode:

• Harry Enfield (Effy's dad, Mr Stonem) having a very distressing accident
  • Cook revealing his rather interesting tattoo to the entire college
  • Ardal O'Hanlan's first appearance as the gang's careless Irish form tutor
  • Naomi's embarrassing surname being revealed
  • Katie attempting to befriend Effy
  • Cook, Freddie and JJ attempting to befriend Effy in an entirely different sense
  • A very steamy encounter in the first aid office

Skins series three airs on E4 from January.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #49
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Weird. I was expecting another token black person & Pakistani.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #50
Captain_BluTac
You Better Run

That would be Thomas, the actor playing him hasn't been confirmed yet, but we know he will be a from Africa.

Last edited by Captain_BluTac; 12-30-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Captain_BluTac is offline   Reply With Quote