The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #26
Maze
Proud AquaMomoa inventor

Default Re: Hopefully there is some real emotion in this film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkest Knight
Did you see the scene where he describes what he saw on Krypton to his mother? Horrible
Yup he was not very good in that scene , i agree . and in one or two other scene too.

but all around i felt he conveyed a lot of emotion ..lot of dignity,and paradoxically lot of sadness .. imo all around he was very graceful (although Singer surely helped him through with his directing ) very moving imo...i loved his "the father becomes the son" speech..that said i found him especially good in the silent scenes. . And even if the delivery is important and hard to pull off, convey emotion in silent scenes is a hard task for an actor..that's the basic .. and that's why i believe in Routh ( at least for that kind of roles.. ) now you didn't feel it , i understand and i respect it, i did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson
Is it real? Or a wig? Maybe he wears a wig in the movie cause he is bald and then at the end of the movie he rips off the wig and throws it at Superman.

Last edited by Maze; 11-29-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:52 PM   #27
Brainiac 2009
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze
Yup he was not very good in that scene , i agree . and in one or two other scene too.

but all around i felt he conveyed a lot of emotion ..especially in the silent scenes . and even if the delivery is important and hard to pull off, that is a hard task as an actor..that's the basic .. and that's why i believe in Routh ( at least for that kind of roles.. )
His deleted scenes in Smallville were better. Especially "Are you two dating" scene, he conveyed alot there about wishing he could turn back these 5 years like spinning a baseball.

I wish they left all the other Smallville scenes in with Routh, they were great.

The "Family Photos" one was quite touching with Routh looking at pictures of Glenn Ford.

Brainiac 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #28
Karea07
Side-Kick

i agree

Karea07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:02 PM   #29
Dark Knight
Banned User

i want to see heavy emotion.....intense fight and action sequences...drama....and a better more emotionally driven score. Bring back John Williams!

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:17 AM   #30
superdupersuper
Banned User

yes bring back john williams
i dont think ottman was very good,
he didn't even use the most stirring theme of all, the krypton theme when clark finds the crystals in donners movies,

the haunting music is legendary, nothing can beat it,
after watching donner cut of superman 2, its simply amazing, the scenes between reeve and brando, truly legendary,
reeve displays more emotion in those scenes than the entire cast of superman returns did in their whole movie.

superdupersuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:32 AM   #31
blind_fury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 2009
It's fortunate Singer and Brandon are such major fans of Superman.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAA! *wipes tear*

thanks for the laugh dude.

blind_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:37 AM   #32
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Yeah, it was pretty emotionless. The actors didn't seem to connect on any real level, and BR was sort of stiff in some scenes. I still like him though because there are some shots where he looks so much like a powerful, masculine Superman that I forget what I'm watching. Then stiff, bland, skinny Lois comes on the scene and I'm reminded that this is "Singerman Returns".

This is the first and probably only time I will watch SR on DVD in its entirety. The movie is just entirely too depressing to go for a second viewing, and the lack of emotion means I can watch the thing on mute and not feel as though I'm missing much.

I'll stick to STM, SII, JL/JLU, LnC, and STAS Those are the real-deal Superman fixes.

edit:

Ya know...you really can watch this movie on mute. I think it's a little better that way.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 12-01-2006 at 07:46 AM.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #33
Brainiac 2009
Banned User

Lois and Clark.... oh gosh.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #34
Brainiac 2009
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind_fury
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAA! *wipes tear*

thanks for the laugh dude.
Recent interviews prove that Brandon knows what fans want. Thats more than any other Superman actor has been aware of.

Chris Reeve's idea of what he wanted for a Superman film was Superman IV........nuff said.

Bryan Singer... watch the DVD special. I can't see any other director expressing such fanboyism about all the details of Superman. Hes also probably the only director that will actually make some changes in the sequel to satisfy certain comic book fans. His decision to based the sequel on 'contemporary comics' (as he said) and make the sequel his own film (not donner) proves that.

This project could have been in alot worse hands....like every director that came before him.

Last edited by Brainiac 2009; 12-01-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #35
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 2009
Lois and Clark.... oh gosh.
Hmmm...seems like you feel the same way about LnC that I do about SR. It's good to know we have some common ground on bad Superman representations because I will take LnC any day over Singerman Returns

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #36
superbaby
Banned User

Default How to create a strong connection with audience

well, i think i'm not wrong to say that singer trying to make superman more human by creating all these melodrama and troubles he must face. unfortunately, it didn't make a strong connection with the audience and they seemingly didn't give a damn to this superman, which resulted the disappointed BO record.

to make superman sell, and be the top BO record, the connection is very essential. there's where the good WOM comes from.
so, my question is how to create a strong connection with the audience for the next superman movie?

superbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #37
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: how to create a strong connection with audience.

I think the only thing they need is to manage the buidget better.

SR's BO was 20 millions higher than Batman begins and BB is getting a sequel. SR made a good enough connection.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #38
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbaby View Post
well, i think i'm not wrong to say that singer trying to make superman more human by creating all these melodrama and troubles he must face. unfortunately, it didn't make a strong connection with the audience and they seemingly didn't give a damn to this superman, which resulted the disappointed BO record.

to make superman sell, and be the top BO record, the connection is very essential. there's where the good WOM comes from.
so, my question is how to create a strong connection with the audience for the next superman movie?

I am sorry to say as I dont have a problem with him but we need a likeable and charismatic actor playing Superman, someone whose charms radiate on screen. I am sure Routh is a nice guy but seriously thats about all you can really say about him, IMO Superman needs to radiate a certain presense you need to feel in awe in his presense. And if your lost on what I am saying a few actors with great charisma are Will Smith and Brad Pitt these guys ooze a certain something. The actor and there I say it script needs to provide a Superman we care for one whose likeable and at the same time admirable, oh and Singer needs to go I personally dont feel he can provide the needed connection thats been lost for 20+ years.

SatEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #39
superbaby
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I think the only thing they need is to manage the buidget better.

SR's BO was 20 millions higher than Batman begins and BB is getting a sequel. SR made a good enough connection.
the big budget isn't a problem if SR could make as much as ironman.

and do you think that's the best superman can perform? therefore, he only deserved smaller budget???

Last edited by Mister J; 05-25-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #40
GreenKToo
In the fire

EDIT by me.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 05-25-2008 at 10:37 AM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #41
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

With SR Superman made a connection with many people, including me, so i dont see that as a problem for the sequel.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #42
superbaby
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
With SR Superman made a connection with many people, including me, so i dont see that as a problem for the sequel.
if SR has made the connection with so many people, the sequel would have been greenlit and in production now.
and btw, if you have no comment/idea, pls don't make a post.

most importantly, bring your SR praises elsewhere. this isn't about SR.

this thread is for the superman fans to give their own opinions on how to make strong connection with the audiences for the new superman movie.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #43
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:

and do you think that's the best superman can perform? therefore, he only deserved smaller budget???
I say Batman Begins had a smaller bidget so it didn't have to worry for gigantic numbers to get a sequel soon and bigger.

Quote:
if SR has made the connection with so many people, the sequel would have been greenlit and in production now.
It made more money than B Begins, so the connection was there. Once again, problem is that for what SR budget was, they were expecting even more.

Quote:
and btw, if you have no comment/idea, pls don't make a post.
More action, smaller budget. And by smaller I say normal.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #44
Nixon
Side-Kick

Quote:

Well, let's look at a movie like Batman Begins, something that has the "fanbase" (which has to my experience often been used merely to describe the 30 or so people who regularly post on whatever board the word fanbase is being used on) united behind it and is considered by most to be relatively problem free.

Why did that movie only make $371 million dollars at the box office? Is that all you think Batman is capable of?

Why is a success for Batman Begins a stick to beat Superman Returns with when, by most any measure, the characters share a similar level of popularity and longevity?

Why are we making guys like Iron Man and Spider-Man - these runaway successes - the rules and not the exceptions?

Quote:
and i know it's wrong to name calling but you are really a singer ass kisser, becauss youhave never acknowleged the problems of sr (why it split the fanbase into half) and you have no opinion at all on how to improve the situation. you are just waiting to kiss more of his ass regardless of whatever *****s he gonna throw at you.
Wow, this is bad. Not the name-calling, I mean that's some pretty bargain basement stuff that I'm sure will role off El Payso's back like water, but the fact that you're so insecure in your position and your ability to articulate it that you're going in for such a cheap shot.

Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #45
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
Wow, this is bad. Not the name-calling, I mean that's some pretty bargain basement stuff that I'm sure will role off El Payso's back like water, but the fact that you're so insecure in your position and your ability to articulate it that you're going in for such a cheap shot.
Mh. Too good this coward's post was edited.

But it's the second time this week he goes the same way. I'd say something else is needed to be done.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #46
superbaby
Banned User

can all the sr likers pls just throw away all your hyper-sensitive self defend system?
we don't want another round of agrument on sr performance. bring stop all the ***** about the sr huge budget and how it's done better than bb.

if you think sr is perfect and need no improvement. fine. pls stop posting there and don't make this thread into another sr argument!!!

go away if you have no opinion!!! clear???!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #47
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:

Give Superman more lines. The melodrama isn't what necessarily turning people off, they typically like that. I mean look at Spiderman. He really just needs more of an opportunity to banter with villains, have conversations with world leaders or people of power, and specifically address the people of Earth itself. Of course there's going to be less of a connection with the audience if he's literally only speaking with what, three or four people? He was competing with Jack Sparrow of all people, arguably one of the most charismatic characters in cinema history. So yeah, give him more lines.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #48
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
It made more money than B Begins, so the connection was there. Once again, problem is that for what SR budget was, they were expecting even more.

I have noticed you state this a lot, *sighs* well I guess when what your defending is quality **** you have to grasp at any and all straws you can get your hands on. If we try and apply a bit of logic into things and take away all fanboyism we can come to a clear conclusion on how an inferior film like SR made more than BB, Ok first lets look at how long it was since we had a superman film prior to SR. The last superman film was titled Superman IV the quest for peace it was made 21yrs ago and in 2006 it would have been 19yrs. Imagine that 19yrs since superman was on the big screen, then we have the last Batman film which was titled Batman and Robin that was released in 1998 7 years in comparasion to Batman Begins. Now if we apply that logic I was talking about you would see that Batman was more fresh in the minds of the audience not only that but after the last disaster of a film( dubbed by many as the worst film ever made)did you think Batman was going to clean up at the box office? Hell no people were going to stay away from it.

As opposed to superman who was out of peoples minds, not to mention what people expected from a Superman film as opposed to a powerless Batman. Besides we all know superman is a bigger draw than Batman , although that seems to be changing.I guarantee you any sequel to that hazardous film will flop, no one will go near that rubbish, thats why WB need to flush out the people involved with SR and wipe the slate clean. We can all wait and see how the IH is received but a restart seems like the most plausible thing to do.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #49
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
Give Superman more lines. The melodrama isn't what necessarily turning people off, they typically like that. I mean look at Spiderman. He really just needs more of an opportunity to banter with villains, have conversations with world leaders or people of power, and specifically address the people of Earth itself. Of course there's going to be less of a connection with the audience if he's literally only speaking with what, three or four people? He was competing with Jack Sparrow of all people, arguably one of the most charismatic characters in cinema history. So yeah, give him more lines.
The "melodrama" fits perfectly with Spiderman's character his an angst teenager who lost his uncle blah blah blah we knew Parkers history from spidey1 from loser to hero. He was built up so we would care and cheer for him, with Singers Superman we were thrown in a world where we were meant to understand the history and care for the character. The thing with that was that it failed not only did I not care for this Superman I actually liked Richard White better and thought Lois was better of with him. I am sure that cetainly was not Singers intention but sadly thats how things turnt out.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #50
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatEL View Post
I have noticed you state this a lot, *sighs*
The curious thing is that it never ceases to be true.

Quote:
well I guess when what your defending is quality **** you have to grasp at any and all straws you can get your hands on.
On the contrary, when defending quality you have all the movie to talk about. Itís only when you lack of something solid on the movie when you resort to numbers.

Quote:
If we try and apply a bit of logic into things and take away all fanboyism we can come to a clear conclusion on how an inferior film like SR made more than BB, Ok first lets look at how long it was since we had a superman film prior to SR. The last superman film was titled Superman IV the quest for peace it was made 21yrs ago and in 2006 it would have been 19yrs. Imagine that 19yrs since superman was on the big screen, then we have the last Batman film which was titled Batman and Robin that was released in 1998 7 years in comparasion to Batman Begins. Now if we apply that logic I was talking about you would see that Batman was more fresh in the minds of the audience not only that but after the last disaster of a film( dubbed by many as the worst film ever made)did you think Batman was going to clean up at the box office? Hell no people were going to stay away from it.
Both Batman and Superman had terrible movies years ago and then they tried to come back. Batman Begins was treated as a prequel to B89 and no one had doubts SR was linked to the Donner franchise. Both got similar BO numbers. Those are Ė in a Jor-El way to express it - facts of undeniable truth.

Now, a limit of time between people remembering the last movie and not rememering it sounds palusible, but how to be sure?

Quote:
As opposed to superman who was out of peoples minds, not to mention what people expected from a Superman film as opposed to a powerless Batman. Besides we all know superman is a bigger draw than Batman ,
After B89 I donít know if Superman is so much a bigger draw than Batman.

Quote:
I guarantee you any sequel to that hazardous film will flop,
Only one way to find out.

Quote:
I guarantee you any sequel to that hazardous film will flop, no one will go near that rubbish,
SRís sequel is rubbish? May I ask, when and where did you see it to judge it?

Quote:
thats why WB need to flush out the people involved with SR and wipe the slate clean. We can all wait and see how the IH is received but a restart seems like the most plausible thing to do.
It seems quite possible. I understand people putting millions for movies are unhappy when the money they get back is not as much as they were expecting.