The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 AM   #76
mego joe
Side-Kick

Default Re: how to create a strong connection with audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
You create a connection with our audience by getting them to CONNECT with their characterss; that imo was the only real thing Singer was able to do with his film. Though a lot of stuff was not what it could have been, most people cared about Superman, Lois, Jason, and Richard. The problem is though, we cared because of who they are were.

Its Superman, he is the main character. We're going to care about him. He cares a bout Lois. Lois has a young child. We will care about what happens to her. Jason is a little kid. We will automatically care about him. Richard is a good guy, we'll care about him. There was not much depth to it though. Had we not know who Superman or Lois were prior to the film, you would not have given a damn about them.

Connecting witt audience should not be that hard. For a reboot (a sequel would have the same connections as the 1st, so no need to talk about it) it depends on the audience.

The kids and teenagers should be connected with in the action. The storyline that they should really like should be the main conflict between Superman and the villain.

Most women or older adults should be there for the more dramatic storylines ala...Superman being burdened by powers or his love for Lois.
You know what though? I didn't care about Superman. At no point did I actually feel for him. I thought his character was written as an insensetive jerk and he never really changed for me. It just got worse, I thought. There was no moment of "Oh, that changes things." He looks bad at the beginning and he still looks bad at the end.

He was overshadowed by Richard, who was the only character I connected with. While it's interesting to make the other guy not a jerk, abusive person, he can't out-do Superman. He can be equal, but since Superman has the jerk moments Richard comes off looking much better.

mego joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:10 AM   #77
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Default Re: How to create a strong connection with audience

Exately. That`s what i felt. A Superman movie cant have a character that is more heroic and noble than Superman and Richard was exactely that.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:23 AM   #78
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
Exately. That`s what i felt. A Superman movie cant have a character that is more heroic and noble than Superman and Richard was exactely that.
And it wasn't that Richard shouldn't be a good, heroic person, but that you shouldn't be able to think that Superman is a jerk. That alienates the audience from your main character.

mego joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 AM   #79
Angamb
Banned User

I think one of the factors could be the action, if they show amazing new action scenes in trailers and spots, and sell the movie like the best superheromovie, maybe it could have a better box-office.... don't know...

but all of us have to agree that Superman isn't Spiderman, at least not in these times, so I doubt a Superman movie can have such success as the Spiderman franchise. but anyway, it don't have to either.

I liked Superman Returns so I hope they make the sequel one day. I'll be there to see it.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:25 AM   #80
wellsy
All crews reporting.

I think you're kind of missing the point Angamb - this is a connection to the characters. Not about how to make more money at the BO.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #81
buggs0268
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
The thread isn't about Buggs, it is about connecting with the audience, keep it on track or this thread goes.
Thank you.

buggs0268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #82
Nixon
Side-Kick

Still doesn't mean you shouldn't fix the problems in your tagline before you call yourself a "Professional Smart A$$".

Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #83
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

I wasn't crazy about Superman having a son but I think it can provide a connection with the audience when Superman is forced to save him from Braniac. They just have to figure out a way to depower him in sequel, which Show has said isn't hard with creative writing.

MOS needs to make sure it has more action and a super-villian fight. I think thats what most people missed the most. I felt SR had the right amount of humor in it. I don't want to see another Spider-Man where half of the movie is comedy.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #84
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

I dunno bout you guys, but I identified with Supes. Not the whole "ditching a pregnant women" part; more the meeting up with an old chick part. Whats so hard bout that?

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #85
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
I dunno bout you guys, but I identified with Supes. Not the whole "ditching a pregnant women" part; more the meeting up with an old chick part. Whats so hard bout that?
This is an argument I HATE!!!!!

Its obvious when you watch the end of movie Supes didn't know it was his son until Lois told him while he was in his coma.

I wish that argument would die!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #86
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Yea, but Superman obviously knew he had sex with Lois, and he obviously didnt use protection, so...

R.I.P. Heath
Old 05-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #87
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Yea but unprotected sex doesn't always mean pregnancy. I know this all too well, (thankfully no babies)

Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 AM   #88
SuperDaniel
Banned User

How about a good story that is faithfull to the character? That should give more than ENOUGH reasons to connect the audience...

Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 AM   #89
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

^ (sigh) unfortunantely what's faithful to the character seems to be debatable...

By the way SuperDaniel, Great signature!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #90
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Pick up the best Superman stories ever written...they have something in common...it`s a start...

Old 05-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #91
afan
Side-Kick

Some rantings..........

Remove all the connections with destiny, god-hood, etc.
People worship gods they don't connect with them.

Take Superman back to his roots. The sole inspiration for his "mission" is his upbringing with The Kents, an upbringing fortified by the rural and ideal Capra-esque setting of Smallville, and not some spiritual destiny driven plan of Jor-el, or any similar device. He is the product of his nurturing, period. Divest the character totally of all the saviour mumbo jumbo. His ethical behaviour is impeccable, exibiting exemplary application of the "Golden Rule", and his mission is un-ashamedly stated to be "The fight for truth, justice, and the American Way".

Reduce his powers from god-like to super-man like. At his present power level he can do virtually anything. There is no drama in any scenario if our hero can lift islands up and into orbit, turn back time, etc.! He must strive to succeed; people don't connect with miracles, people do connect with a hero finding clever methods to overcome adversity, methods that make sense, relatable super-feats.

Presently the only mechanism available to create drama is Green K, and that's quite frankly getting boring. Down grade his abilities and you don't need the dramatic crutch of Green K at all.

Lois and Superman are not romantically involved in a relationship, sure the attraction is there, but it should never reach the point of an intimate romance, that's just boring. People don't connect with boring. Clark and Lois are top notch investigative reporters, and their efforts are crucial in resolving the plot of the film.

Write stories in which humans are able to operate without total dependancy on Superman. Show instances where rescues are successfully accomplished by humans alone and at times by the efforts of man and Superman acting as a team.

Last edited by afan; 05-28-2008 at 10:38 AM.
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #92
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superark View Post
Yea but unprotected sex doesn't always mean pregnancy. I know this all too well, (thankfully no babies)
Yeah, but sometimes it does...Superman had unprotected sex with Lois; he obviously knew there was a chance he become a daddy

R.I.P. Heath
Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #93
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Quote:
Yea, but Superman obviously knew he had sex with Lois, and he obviously didnt use protection, so...
You don't know that. We don't really know 'the details' of their relationship prior his trip to Krypton.

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #94
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostpowerful View Post
You don't know that. We don't really know 'the details' of their relationship prior his trip to Krypton.
This is why SR is so awful. We are discussing whether or not the hero used protection when he had sex with his love interest. A superhero film and this is the kind of stuff we have to deal with!!!

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #95
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Speak for yourself. ^^ I never bring that subject up, since I don't really have a problem with it.

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #96
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Didn't say it was by you. But the fact that it gets brought up at all is a sad commentary on SR.

Last edited by FlawlessVictory; 05-28-2008 at 11:40 AM.
FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #97
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Some rantings..........

Remove all the connections with destiny, god-hood, etc.
People worship gods they don't connect with them.

Take Superman back to his roots. The sole inspiration for his "mission" is his upbringing with The Kents, an upbringing fortified by the rural and ideal Capra-esque setting of Smallville, and not some spiritual destiny driven plan of Jor-el, or any similar device. He is the product of his nurturing, period. Divest the character totally of all the saviour mumbo jumbo. His ethical behaviour is impeccable, exibiting exemplary application of the "Golden Rule", and his mission is un-ashamedly stated to be "The fight for truth, justice, and the American Way".

Reduce his powers from god-like to super-man like. At his present power level he can do virtually anything. There is no drama in any scenario if our hero can lift islands up and into orbit, turn back time, etc.! He must strive to succeed; people don't connect with miracles, people do connect with a hero finding clever methods to overcome adversity, methods that make sense, relatable super-feats.

Presently the only mechanism available to create drama is Green K, and that's quite frankly getting boring. Down grade his abilities and you don't need the dramatic crutch of Green K at all.

Lois and Superman are not romantically involved in a relationship, sure the attraction is there, but it should never reach the point of an intimate romance, that's just boring. People don't connect with boring. Clark and Lois are top notch investigative reporters, and their efforts are crucial in resolving the plot of the film.

Write stories in which humans are able to operate without total dependancy on Superman. Show instances where rescues are successfully accomplished by humans alone and at times by the efforts of man and Superman acting as a team.
I have a feeling you will enjoy greatly my reboot script...

Old 05-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #98
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless Victory
Didn't say it was by you. But the fact that it gets brought up at all is a sad commentary on SR.
It's more of a sad commentary on fanboys who obssess too much over details on a movie they don't even like.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #99
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
This is why SR is so awful. We are discussing whether or not the hero used protection when he had sex with his love interest. A superhero film and this is the kind of stuff we have to deal with!!!
No movie should be measured by the degree of futililty of the arguments some fans can come up with. I can start discussing whether Batman wore underwear under the suit or not and that's no sign of any Batman movie being bad.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #100
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Now you`re exageratting, Payaso...

The arguments come for a reason. If SR was everyone`s cup, we wouldn`t be discussing and a sequel would be being made right now.