The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 08-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #76
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Default Re: Why Does Everyone Want a Body-Building Captain America?

I think I would like to see a well reviewed movie with good-great acting for the movie. I movie I can enjoy and be proud of what Marvel has done. I mean Iron Man recieved over 90% good reviews. I would like Cap to be around that and a no name or a roid head are not gonna bring that.

Considering some of Marvel's flops, I think that Marvel means business when it comes to doing their characters justice on screen. I think that's why they are pursuing such big names.

In space, no one can hear you scream.

The Forever War
WeaponXProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #77
Rich Santoro
Addicted to degeneracy

^ Yes... exactly... well said

Rich Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #78
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponXProject View Post
We don't need an Oscar worthy performance. I agree with that but why wouldn't you want a big name like Pitt and DiCaprio. I know you don't like DiCaprio's look but I can't blame Marvel for looking at two actors who sell every movie they do. Getting one of their faces on screen will help sell more than anything else. I remember how mad some people got about RDJ jr. playing Tony Stark. He was too old, and had a bad history. But he became Tony Stark bc he is a good actor and no one had a problem with it when the movie came out. Same with Edward Norton, he has the acting over the looks.
You can't compare Tony Stark with other heroes. With him they can get away with an older, less physically fit actor. That's why RDJ was perfect. He's not a hero who needs huge muscles to work. He's a scientist not a warrior. He relies on his armor to fight enemies not his body. It's the same with Bruce Banner. He isn't the one who gets into battle scenes the Hulk is.

Cap is the complete opposite of that. He needs to look and act like he has the strength and skill to annihilate several armed men in combat with his bare hands.

Last edited by The Major; 08-13-2008 at 04:34 PM.
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #79
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle-Man View Post
I've been reading these forums for quite some time, and what bothers me is that everyone wants to cast some body builder as Captain America. You all want the guy with the square jaw, and the tough guy look. It really isn't necessary, though. We've seen Wolverine, Batman and Superman on screen. We've seen their comic book counterparts. None of the on-screen characters are anywhere near as bulky as their comic book affiliates. Why would you want Captain America to be any different?

A good Cap would be someone who can act well, give the film a serious tone, and express weakness and strength. Every human being has a flaw, and although you may state that "Captain America has no flaws", weaknesses in a person's state of mind can add so much more depth to any character. Other than this, all the actor needs is to be able to put on some muscle. We don't need Cap having an Arnold-type body.

And what's with the name "First Avenger: Captain America"? Why not just plain, old "Captain America"?
Not necessarily Arnold, but he HAS to be buff & toned.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #80
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
You can't compare Tony Stark with other heroes. With him they can get away with an older, less physically fit actor. He's not a hero who needs huge muscles to work. He's a scientist not a warrior. He relies on his armor to fight enemies not his body. It's the same with Bruce Banner. He isn't the one who gets into battle scenes the Hulk is.

Cap is the complete opposite of that. He needs to look and act like he has the strength and skill to annihilate several armed men in combat with his bare hands.

I disagree, you don't need someone that huge to be Captain America. I think as Tony Stark, I envisioned a suave Italian looking guy who didn't look so old but RDJ worked anyway. As for the Hulk, Ed Norton looked nothing like Bruce Banner what so ever and people still accepted him as Bruce Banner.

With Cap, you need muscles, blonde hair and a decent resemblance. But you don't need extraordinary bulging muscles.

So Brad Pitt doesn't have that look? Have you seen Troy? I didn't like the movie but he was a beast in that. Or even his scenes in Snatch...That's a little more realistic than putting Jason Giambi in an outfit.

The Forever War
Old 08-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #81
COAL TIGER
Side-Kick

Quote:
I disagree, you don't need someone that huge to be Captain America. I think as Tony Stark, I envisioned a suave Italian looking guy who didn't look so old but RDJ worked anyway. As for the Hulk, Ed Norton looked nothing like Bruce Banner what so ever and people still accepted him as Bruce Banner.
Neither of those dudes had to look like they can actually fight againts a number of people and win. So they're not good examples.

COAL TIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #82
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
I disagree, you don't need someone that huge to be Captain America.
Being extremely fit and huge aren't necessarily the same thing.

Quote:
I think as Tony Stark, I envisioned a suave Italian looking guy who didn't look so old but RDJ worked anyway.
RDJ was always my first choice for Tony. Think about it, Tony is a guy who'd fit right in at a board meeting, not a soldier. With Cap they need a soldier.

Quote:
As for the Hulk, Ed Norton looked nothing like Bruce Banner what so ever and people still accepted him as Bruce Banner.
They got the basics with him right. Norton was in shape but he was a convincing scientist not an action hero.

Quote:
With Cap, you need muscles, blonde hair and a decent resemblance.
Agreed.

Quote:
But you don't need extraordinary bulging muscles.
They do need someone who looks like a human male in their physical peak who is believable as one of the most dangerous fighters on Earth.

Whoever they get is going to have to be in incredible shape to pull that off.

Quote:
So Brad Pitt doesn't have that look? Have you seen Troy? I didn't like the movie but he was a beast in that. Or even his scenes in Snatch...That's a little more realistic than putting Jason Giambi in an outfit.
That's the body type I'd like to see from Cap.

He was in great shape in Fight Club, too.

Last edited by The Major; 08-14-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #83
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Arc, I am not arguing with you anymore. The point was that they don't look much like the people, not the suit or CGI giant. They resemble the characters slightly, that is all. Marvel WILL NOT pick someone with out pedigree. Like they picked talented actors over faces that look dead on the character.

Go ahead and throw out a name instead of just disagreeing. Maybe Marvel will like the idea, like DC picked Brandon Routh. Acting and plot make a good movie. A body makes a cool poster.

This thread was to talk about why somebody does or does not want a body builder to play Cap. All I have heard is you say no to what I say and put Michael Jai White in a picture for how superhero actors should look. I just think you need to realize that the translation to film from a comic book is hard to do. Take any fight scene from a comic book of Cap or Marvel (outside of Spidey). Every character looks outragiously ripped out! Now I do want Cap to be ripped but I want to know who you can find or suggest that can act well and be a big guy...

The Forever War
Old 08-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #84
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Quote:
Being extremely fit and huge aren't necessarily the me thing.

RDJ was always my first choice for Tony. Think about it, Tony is a guy who'd fit right in at a board meeting, not a soldier. With Cap they need a soldier.

They got the basics with him right. Norton was in shape but he was a convincing scientist not an action hero.

Agreed.

They do need someone who looks like a human male in their physical peak who is believable as one of the most dangerous fighters on Earth.

Whoever they get is going to have to be in incredible shape to pull that off.

That's the body type I'd like to see from Cap.

He was in great shape in Fight Club, too.
It's like you agree with me but were still arguing. Oh well, atleast we are on the same page about Brad Pitt.

The Forever War
Old 08-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #85
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's like you agree with me but were still arguing.

Quote:
Oh well, atleast we are on the same page about Brad Pitt.
Yup.

Another good example of Cap's body in film I'd use would be Ryan Reynolds in Blade Trinity. I'm not saying they should get him to play Cap just that whoever they get for Cap should have a physique like it.

Last edited by The Major; 08-13-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #86
Hiruu
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yup.

Another good example of Cap's body in film I'd use would be Ryan Reynolds in Blade Trinity. I'm not saying they should get him to play Cap just that whoever they get for Cap should have a physique like it.
Brad Pitt is the only actor i know capable of either playing Captain America or Thor...

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=...t&start=0&sa=N

He's got the height issue, but then again...anybody know of a 6'6'' actor who can carry a massive franchise and have international appeal? The question is, how do you make a 5' 11" man look 6'3" to 6'6"???? The Bulk isn't the problem, it's the height issue, which is why he would be better for CA, over Thor, imho.

- From By Schism Rent Asunder
Hiruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #87
The Major
Side-Kick

Hiruu:

Agreed.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #88
NavSealShark

That gymnast picture you posted was hilarious! Good one! He's probably about 5'2 and 140 pounds. Gymnasts. Some of you guys are funny. I'll give you that much.

Yeah Kang what was with Daredevil? Ben Affleck ain't to shabby of an actor. I didn't think he carried the gusto within to pull it off myself. That's why I think beyond acting ablility you need a guy who can command and have the persona of Captain America the hero all hero's look up to for direction.

And to answer the question posed by this thread once again:

Captain America is a super solider on steriods. They juiced the man up so he would have superior muscle mass, superior strength, and superior stamina ect 10 times over what a normal man has.

Keep the posts a comin' this thread is great for some good laughs!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #89
Peyton Westlake
Side-Kick

I'm not even a Capt. America fan. But.I wasn't an Iron Man fan either until I saw RDJ give Stark some life. Thats all I think anyone would want who would want to see Cap portrayed right.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #90
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Its almost as bad to suggest an actor because he is famous and has a higher probablity of bulking up as it is to suggest a body builder instead of allowing for someone who can actually act and do the performance who can also get the size issue to correct spot that movie magic and the usual suspension of disbelief take over.

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:56 PM   #91
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
Its almost as bad to suggest an actor because he is famous and has a higher probablity of bulking up as it is to suggest a body builder instead of allowing for someone who can actually act and do the performance who can also get the size issue to correct spot that movie magic and the usual suspension of disbelief take over.
Fame is not the primary reason I advocate DiCaprio. It has little to do with fame. I feel he can capture the essence of Cap's character, while at the same time acting like someone who could lead a team of superheroes. DiCaprio has presence and talent. That is why I see him as an attractive choice. I think he can makes us belive Stark, Thor, etc. would follow him. That is what the person who is Cap needs to be. We can't just look at this as casting him for a Cap movie. Avengers needs to be taken into account. On screen presence, not steroid-like or freakish muscles, is THE single most important aspect in finding Captain America. And again, I like DiCaprio's presence. Not his fame.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:23 AM   #92
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Fame is not the primary reason I advocate DiCaprio. It has little to do with fame. I feel he can capture the essence of Cap's character, while at the same time acting like someone who could lead a team of superheroes. DiCaprio has presence and talent. That is why I see him as an attractive choice. I think he can makes us belive Stark, Thor, etc. would follow him. That is what the person who is Cap needs to be. We can't just look at this as casting him for a Cap movie. Avengers needs to be taken into account. On screen presence, not steroid-like or freakish muscles, is THE single most important aspect in finding Captain America. And again, I like DiCaprio's presence. Not his fame.
Never said it was about DiCaprio. It was directed at Hiruu's suggestion of Brad Pitt since that seems to be his only basis in his description

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:25 AM   #93
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
Never said it was about DiCaprio. It was directed at Hiruu's suggestion of Brad Pitt since that seems to be his only basis in his description
Ah, I gotcha. We cool

Well, at least I got to again say why I advocate DiCaprio for Captain America

Old 08-14-2008, 01:39 AM   #94
NavSealShark

Hey I can see you guys are just gung ho on Damon and Dicaprio and that's great. I do enjoy their movies and I don't see anything wrong with you pulling for your favorite actors. I bet Damon and Dicaprio are very thankful to have people like you who would do anything for them. You guys are the real deal ultimate fans of those guys that's for sure. Good for you!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 AM   #95
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruu View Post
Brad Pitt is the only actor i know capable of either playing Captain America or Thor...

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=...t&start=0&sa=N

He's got the height issue, but then again...anybody know of a 6'6'' actor who can carry a massive franchise and have international appeal? The question is, how do you make a 5' 11" man look 6'3" to 6'6"???? The Bulk isn't the problem, it's the height issue, which is why he would be better for CA, over Thor, imho.
I can see him playing Thor. But not Caps, I think Matt Damon would be a great Caps. Is height even that important? As long as he's not uber-short & looks ridiculous who gives a ****.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 AM   #96
MaskedManJRK
Side-Kick

Height can be fixed with perspective and the body can be worked on. They need someone who can genuinely act the character first.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:06 AM   #97
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedManJRK View Post
Height can be fixed with perspective and the body can be worked on. They need someone who can genuinely act the character first.
agreed Matt Damon, Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale. They all hit the gym and buffed up. Actors can change their appearance.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:26 AM   #98
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
But not Caps, I think Matt Damon would be a great Caps.
I'd prefer Matt to be DD, but he'd make a good Cap.

Last edited by The Major; 08-14-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #99
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavSealShark View Post
Hey I can see you guys are just gung ho on Damon and Dicaprio and that's great. I do enjoy their movies and I don't see anything wrong with you pulling for your favorite actors. I bet Damon and Dicaprio are very thankful to have people like you who would do anything for them. You guys are the real deal ultimate fans of those guys that's for sure. Good for you!
Again, you show nothing but sarcasm. Why don't you back your posts up with FACTS or ARGUMENTS. Trying to make fun of me for liking two actors for a specific role you disagree with just makes you look like an idiot. Defend your point with stuff that is tangible.

Until you do that, we are not in a discussion worth having and you might as well put me on ignore. Cause I will continue to provoke a real argument out of you until you deliver. Sound good?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #100
Rich Santoro
Addicted to degeneracy

Ignore him Spider-Fan. He has been obnoxious and useless on every thread he has been on...

Now I don't like DiCaprio for the role, but at least you are putting forward an arguement with reason attached to it.

Rich Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote